Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by chad
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Snydley Whiplash (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dent00.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 4 years ago

I have received no spam from these companies...
    I hope that pinside is not selling this information.
    That is one of the main reasons that I refuse to use Facebook or other social media websites. Ever...
    Cambridge Analytica is one the main offenders there, but there are likely many others.
    You can see a documentary released recently "The Great Hack" and judge for yourself.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Thrillhouse:

I was thinking about this about an hour ago as I was deleting some spam from pinstadium. I just checked my contact info here and it's tied to my old email so I don't think it's pinside. I just placed an order recently with pinball life and willing to bet they may be the culprit.

I have ordered a LOT of stuff from Pinball Life and I have not seen any spam as a result of that.. Yet...

#20 4 years ago

This whole conversation leads me to a personal gripe I have with some stores... Lowes, Ace Hardware and many others, ask me for my phone number when I want to check out. If you refuse to give them your phone number, they don't want to give you any discounts or whatever that are linked to my past purchases. However, that phone number is linked directly to junk mail and other spam, which is where I get upset. I should not have to provide my phone number to make a purchase in a store in cash or with a debit card... It should be illegal to ask for this type of information, in my opinion.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I always give them a fake number....

There IS one store that I agree to give my phone number to... Willingly... Autozone... If you purchase a car/truck part at Autozone and provide your phone number, that part and vehicle info you provide, is then linked to your "account number" (phone number) and if you have a problem with that part in the warranty period, they can look up your past parts purchased, based on that number and honor the warranty, without a receipt in most cases. I have purchased several parts that had a lifetime warranty and many years later, came back with the damaged part (from use) and got a new part without a receipt, because they had my previous purchase filed under my phone number in their database. This also will work for batteries (for instance) where you get the amortized value remaining in the warranty period if the battery fails. This information given to them results in a substantial amount of money saved in my case. You can also get a $20 discount from time to time, just for repeat business. That amounts to free parts for me from time to time. I have also received cash rebates that you have to enter after you get home online, with some parts. So, I make sure that I do give them my phone number every time. I have not received any spam or junk mail as result of purchases at Autozone, as far as I know.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Good to hear... It’s gotta be those evil doers at IFPA then....

And it should be illegal...
    Selling someone's personal information is an invasion of their privacy and should be a crime.
    And it is also unethical.
    Someone provides their personal information to get access to a website, they don't expect it to be sold to marketers to badger people with spam.
    It is already illegal on medical information.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from russdx:

has any one actually read the small print or remember what boxes where ticked when they signed up to IFPA? you probably all legally let them spam you lol!!! companies are good at hiding this shit in there t&c's

Hiding the fact that they INTEND on selling your personal information in T&C's and not allowing you access to their website without checking the box that says "Agree" is the way most companies avoid actually justifying release of all your personal information. They just show that you clicked the box and they have your permission. It should be illegal to deceive people like that and everyone knows it.

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

On a side note:
    Those fish bowls at restaurants, that state you can "Win a Dinner", just drop in your business card in for a draw. Someone is just collecting your info, that you freely gave up. Similarly at, Home Shows, any of those draws that you fill out, that info can also be used to create a lists.

Signing up for one of these free drawings is sure way to make sure that you get all the spam and junk mail that might have missed out on...
    Once you get on one of those lists it is likely almost impossible to be removed...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dent00.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-sharing-personal-information?tu=dent00 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.