New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 278330)

Pinside scammer pottster?

By rollinover

58 days ago

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 56 days ago by brainmegaphone
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Pinside scammer pottster?”

• Scammer 15 votes
    50%
  • No Scammer 2 votes
    7%
  • Who knows?? 13 votes
    43%

(30 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

olivia  potts (resized).jpg
olivia walder smith (resized).png

#1 58 days ago

Pottster new member messages me tells me wants a game listed
———-
Name sure sound like imposter lol
———-

Says found my ad in google search

Then says can send PayPal from ms Olivia Potts Email and will be shipping to Rockola headquarters in CA???

Scam or no scam?
Read below
—————-
Shipping address is
Rock-Ola, 2335 W 208th St, Torrance, CA 90501
Can you organise shipping?
I can’t do cash due to the distance involved. Is there another way we can work this out please?Could my husband and I give you a call? My husband owns Rock-Ola Jukeboxes in California,
Please send your cell phone number and he will give you a call.
Thanks,
Olivia
———————
I am assuming this is a scam and I noticed organize spelled wrong.
I read the how not to get scammed post and this person fits to a tee!!!

#2 58 days ago

Not worth the risk. I’d wait for someone local.

#3 58 days ago

If there is local interest that is always easier, but for more rare games it might not be possible. If you are interested in the deal I'd at least give them a call.

#4 58 days ago

Oh for a second there I thought it ws Ricola headquarters. I was like why the hell they need a pinball machine.. but At least you could get unlimited cough drops.
Oh well, not that.

#5 58 days ago

Call up Alexander Walder-Smith at Rock-ola!

Sold to a Brit and your e-mail uses the British form of organize....and for what it's worth here is an Olivia (his wife): https://www.gamesroomcompany.com/pages/our-story

#6 58 days ago
Quoted from rollinover:

Pottster new member messages me tells me wants a game listed
———-
Name sure sound like imposter lol
———-
Says found my ad in google search
Then says can send PayPal from ms Olivia Potts Email and will be shipping to Rockola headquarters in CA???
Scam or no scam?
Read below
—————-
Shipping address is
Rock-Ola, 2335 W 208th St, Torrance, CA 90501
Can you organise shipping?
I can’t do cash due to the distance involved. Is there another way we can work this out please?Could my husband and I give you a call? My husband owns Rock-Ola Jukeboxes in California,
Please send your cell phone number and he will give you a call.
Thanks,
Olivia
———————

Owns Rock-Ola Jukeboxes but wants you to setup shipping? Scam if you ask me.

#7 58 days ago

I think this entire thread is a rock-ola advertisement. They look pretty cool!

#8 58 days ago

For what it’s worth, Rock-Ola appears to be a legitimate business and that is their correct address in Torrance. There’s even a picture of the owner here, Alexander Walter-Smith, who bought the business in 2019.(from Streeter mentioned above)

https://www.dailybreeze.com/2019/08/21/torrance-made-rock-ola-jukeboxes-still-rocking-after-92-years-under-new-ownership/

Not sure where Rockola fits in, but the rest of it is fishy as hell for sure.

#9 58 days ago

I actually called Rockola
Typically when dealing with a real person they don’t seem so generic and actually have a home address other then Rockola jukebox headquarters.

That just makes it even more fishy.
The funny and scary thing is they seemed ready to PayPal any amount and requested an invoice right away!!

And they donated and pinsider verified!!

#10 58 days ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

For what it’s worth, Rock-Ola appears to be a legitimate business and that is their correct address in Torrance. There’s even a picture of the owner here, Alexander Walter-Smith, who bought the business in 2019.(from Streeter mentioned above)
https://www.dailybreeze.com/2019/08/21/torrance-made-rock-ola-jukeboxes-still-rocking-after-92-years-under-new-ownership/

thanks yeah
Mr. Walter-Smith isn’t exactly Mr or Ms Potts lol

And forget the money just send me a brand new bubbler juke for payment. I will trade upon receipt of your inventory. Lol

Please advise hahaha

#11 58 days ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Oh for a second there I thought it ws Ricola headquarters. I was like why the hell they need a pinball machine.. but At least you could get unlimited cough drops.
Oh well, not that.

Lol Ricola
They do make good drops!!!

#12 58 days ago

Ok the CEO of Rockola just left me a voicemail from the UK plot thickens

#13 58 days ago

I may stand corrected on this one

They called me from the Rockola company phone

Wow not something you expect everyday.

#14 58 days ago

have you googled olivia potts yet? she is a pastry chef in the uk

#15 58 days ago
Quoted from Bax1:

I did but there was many
I can close this thread person is legitimate

#16 58 days ago

I think this is legit, have them wire money to your bank and be done.

#17 58 days ago

Don’t arrange shipping. That’s the buyer’s responsibility. Plus, these scammers can Spoof a phone number.

#18 58 days ago
Quoted from rollinover:

I did but there was many

That’s pretty sweet that Rockola wants your game specifically.

#19 58 days ago
Quoted from rollinover:

I did but there was many

No,no. Please don't close thread.
This is to fun of story, lets see how this pans out.
Shipping is Buyer's responsibility. But, You can guide them to closet depot and shipper.

#20 58 days ago
Quoted from Bax1:

Yes saw that. True she is from the UK, and apparently so is the new owner of rockola. So possibly they are actually married? But on the internet she refers to her husband as being named Sam and that guy's name is not Sam. Very strange. Maybe he goes by Sam.

#21 58 days ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

When I Google the address, I get a Torrence Technlogical Center that is currently for sale.
https://www.commercialexchange.com/property/455289/2335-w-208th-st-torrance-ca-90501

Edit...I now see that's for one floor so Rock-o-la must be on another.

#22 57 days ago

1) https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide

Quoted from Electrocute:

Don’t arrange shipping. That’s the buyer’s responsibility.

Not to mention, the party who makes all the arrangements is the one who would have to file a freight claim for damages.
If they are serious, after they wire you the money, they can make arrangements by following one of the tried and true shippers from here:

2) https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shipping-options-for-games

3) Juice ain't worth the squeeze, don't waste your time with this potential buyer.

#23 57 days ago
Quoted from rollinover:

I actually called Rockola
Typically when dealing with a real person they don’t seem so generic and actually have a home address other then Rockola jukebox headquarters.
That just makes it even more fishy.
The funny and scary thing is they seemed ready to PayPal any amount and requested an invoice right away!!
And they donated and pinsider verified!!

Can't trust donating, verified, and all good reviews as gospel. I just got screwed by snowyetti on a Robocop. I left the appropriate feedback after he wouldn't even respond to me. Suddenly positive feedback starts showing up on his profile. Funny thing is the person who left it only follows him and he follows that person. Both accounts have been on pinside longer than me, but that doesn't change the fact they can't be trusted.

#24 57 days ago

I realize you probably want the sale, but there seems to be plenty of risk here......

A sale should not be this convulted.

Rock-ola wants your pinball machine, but contact is initiated from owner's (maybe) wife with a different name, in a different country than where they want the machine sent, asking you to handle the shipping, paying with paypal (instead of a more secure payment method), having the owner call you? This is like 5 different red flags just there.

Just based on your thread title, your guts TELLS you something is up. Listen to it.

#25 57 days ago

Yes, no ,maybe

#26 57 days ago

Ex Works (freight company/buyer work out who is responsible for possible loss or damage, not seller) where the machine sits and the driver needs to bring cash. If buyer wants more security, they can pay for an escrow service from someone you pick.

#27 57 days ago

Rockola sells expensive jukeboxes that are somewhat roughly in the ballpark of a pinball machine as far as size and special requirements for packaging and shipping. So it seems they should have a good internal process (shippers they use, etc) that would handle the shipping of a pinball machine back to them.

https://www.rock-ola.com/collections/jukeboxes

#28 57 days ago
Quoted from cmack750:

I realize you probably want the sale, but there seems to be plenty of risk here......
A sale should not be this convulted.
Rock-ola wants your pinball machine, but contact is initiated from owner's (maybe) wife with a different name, in a different country than where they want the machine sent, asking you to handle the shipping, paying with paypal (instead of a more secure payment method), having the owner call you? This is like 5 different red flags just there.
Just based on your thread title, your guts TELLS you something is up. Listen to it.

Also.....
Pinsider pottster just joined Pinside and donated YESTERDAY, location not specified, zero forum activity or feedback.

More red flags.

#29 57 days ago

Call Rockola and ask to speak to the contact person: 310-328-1306 pacific timezone

#30 57 days ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

Can't trust donating, verified, and all good reviews as gospel. I just got screwed by snowyetti on a Robocop.

We need to know so others don't deal with these pinsiders if they are in fact screwing people.

#31 57 days ago

Easy enough to phone up https://www.gamesroomcompany.com and ask to speak with Olivia.

#32 57 days ago
Quoted from RWH:

We need to know so others don't deal with these pinsiders if they are in fact screwing people.

I left a detailed description of the transaction on his user feedback. Definitely a learning experience for me. I thought, "he's been on pinside longer than me with all positive feedback. He even donates. How bad can he be?" Live and learn.
https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/snowyetti/feedback#11232

#33 57 days ago

Olivia Walder-Smith (Creative director at UK based GamesRoomCompany) seems to be the wife of Alexander Walder-Smith (Owner of Rockola in Torrence) with a stated interest in older pinball machines.

feel very legitimate to me... But I would can him at Torrence to confirm if you can any more reservations.

m

#34 57 days ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

Olivia Walder-Smith (Creative director at UK based GamesRoomCompany) seems to be the wife of Alexander Walder-Smith (Owner of Rockola in Torrence) with a stated interest in older pinball machines.

This does seem true when you look it up. But going back to the beginning, why did she identify herself AND the email associated with the Paypal account as from Olivia Potts, a somewhat famous UK chef? Seems very odd.

#35 57 days ago

SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#36 57 days ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

This does seem true when you look it up. But going back to the beginning, why did she identify herself AND the email associated with the Paypal account as from Olivia Potts, a somewhat famous UK chef? Seems very odd.

Maybe her maiden name? I see both people in her Twitter homepage photo. Could be a quite innocent reason her email is 'potts'... but a simple phone call to either would clarify this whole situation....

You could call Alexander (CEO of Rockola) in Torrence at +1 310-328-1306, or you could call Olivia at +44 01 932 568 414 (or use twitter to PM Olivia at: GamesRoomCo)

Looks like any easy way to put this to rest

#37 57 days ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

Maybe her maiden name? I see both people in her Twitter homepage photo. Could be a quite innocent reason her email is 'potts'... but a simple phone call to either would clarify this whole situation....
You could call Alexander (CEO of Rockola) in Torrence at +1 310-328-1306, or you could call Olivia at +44 01 932 568 414 (or use twitter to PM Olivia at: GamesRoomCo)
Looks like any easy way to put this to rest

Olivia Walder-Smith
olivia walder smith (resized).png

Her doppleganger Olivia Potts

olivia potts (resized).jpg

#38 57 days ago

<

Organise and organize are different spellings of the same word. Organize is the preferred spelling in the U.S. and Canada, and organise is more common outside North America. This extends to all the word's derivatives, including organized/organised, organizing/organising, and organization/organisation.

#39 57 days ago

You realize that this person is (putatively) from the UK right? So organise makes sense.

#40 57 days ago

I do, the first 2 lines are quoted from the ops original post.

#41 57 days ago

To add to what XSVTOYS said, a jukebox company probably already knows a good shipper for such a thing. Plus, they are far more likely to give prepaid freight to a good customer at a discount. You hiring a truck is counterproductive. My company ships FOB or Ex Works almost exclusively. When we pay to ship our product is when things go sour and somebody forgets to secure a pallet or something stupid.

#42 57 days ago

I believe there are at least a few Pinsiders from Torrance. I'm not that far myself, half hour or so. Hell would be tempted to walk in there to Rockola and have a conversation with whoever is in there, just out of curiosity about this bizarre situation.

#43 57 days ago

The red flag to me is wanting you to give them your # so they can call you. If they wanted to talk it's just as easy to type a number for you to reach out to them. 100% scam imo.

And if not I wouldn't deal with anyone that doesn't give a direct line of contact but is already trying to push a deal the way they want it.

#44 57 days ago

It seems OP has concluded the investigation. Last post says person is legitimate and the ad is marked as sale pending.

#45 57 days ago
Quoted from Apinplayer:

The red flag to me is wanting you to give them your # so they can call you. If they wanted to talk it's just as easy to type a number for you to reach out to them. 100% scam imo.
And if not I wouldn't deal with anyone that doesn't give a direct line of contact but is already trying to push a deal the way they want it.

Yup, exactly why you call back to the public number for credit card fraud calls etc.

#46 57 days ago

There are several red flags here.

Keep in mind that phone numbers and caller IDs can be spoofed, so don't use that as proof as legitimacy, especially if they are calling you.

The best way to determine if this could possibly be legitimate is to call the main number listed on rock-ola's website.

There's just several things here that really don't sound right, and would normally be serious red flags. Someone claiming to be connected to a big company in the coinop world is certainly a new tactic I haven't heard of before.

I've asked Robin to take a closer look at the account.

#47 56 days ago

The other thing I would add... a large company's owner would not generally purchase something on behalf of the company (or even mention the company) unless it was the company purchasing the asset in which case they would have purchasing or someone else contact you. If the owner is buying it on behalf of him/her self they wouldn't mention their multi million dollar company (that drives the price up and seems like irrelevant information to present to people). How many people here reach out to people selling a pinball machine we want and say "hey I work for XXX" in our initial discussions? Probably none unless it becomes small talk for later.

But just because many red flags went up does not mean it isn't legitimate. That will be up to the op to determine.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 79.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs
€ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Creo Pinball
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 6,599.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball USA
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 14.95
Pinball Machine
COINTAKER.COM
$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 24.95
Playfield - Decals
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 19.99
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 159.00
$ 17.00
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 89.99
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside