Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by underlord
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Is it just me, or does there seem to be a recent rash of way over priced pins for sale here lately?

#2 9 years ago

:DAre they overpriced or are the too rich for your blood?

#3 9 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

If they're still for sale, they're overpriced. Simple as that.

#4 9 years ago

I think prices have softened in the last 6 months.

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

There are some out of my price range sure. I'm not talking about those though. I'm talking about obviously over priced machine. I don't want to point anything out but they are not hard to spot...

#7 9 years ago

Retailers

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinstyle:

Is it just me, or does there seem to be a recent rash of way over priced pins for sale here lately?

find a pin here that does not ask above market in the last 3 years.

#9 9 years ago

Went and looked at the Marketplace ads. There is at least one retailer that is trying to push the prices to new levels. Most (but not all) person 2 person ads seem reasonable.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinstyle:

There are some out of my price range sure. I'm not talking about those though. I'm talking about obviously over priced machine. I don't want to point anything out but they are not hard to spot...

No question about it, some people are in a different world when they are the seller and not the buyer.

#11 9 years ago

I really feel bad for our Canadian brothers across the border. They are REALLY getting screwed.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

I really feel bad for our Canadian brothers across the border. They are REALLY getting screwed.

Yea, that's got to be a tough situation for them trying to buy in the US.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinstyle:

Yea, that's got to be a tough situation for them trying to buy in the US.

and a lot of them just live a few miles from the boarder too. It's not like the games have to be shipped thousands of miles. What ever happened to NAFTA?

#14 9 years ago

When I do sell .. This scenario makes selling machines easier for me because those prices make mine look very appealing.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

and a lot of them just live a few miles from the boarder too. It's not like the games have to be shipped thousands of miles. What ever happened to NAFTA?

I don't recal the rules and regulations of NAFTA. It must suck having the deal with border crossing. I wonder how many people sneak pins across the border? I know I would..., strap that bitch to a sled and snowmobile the damn thing through the woods lol.

#16 9 years ago

A NIB Stern pro is now listed at $6450 Can, MSRP. Because of the low dollar and Stern price increase.
    Add to that 14% tax.

Because the Can, dollar was high last year and the year before they were $5450.

Of course you can get deals from the distributor (tax included etc) still, but even used pins from collectors are $100's and $100's more here.
    I am 1/2 hr. from Niagara Falls.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Not necessarily. The market is just becoming over-saturated.

Just wait until the remakes come out and nobody wants to take a loss on their $8K pin when it comes time to sell.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

90% of Canadians live within 160 kilometres of the US border.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/by-the-numbers-1.801937

#19 9 years ago

I Collect Only EM's and they are almost always a Bargain !

Brian

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

+ 1. Supply and demand sets the price.

#21 9 years ago

Also, it's like the car market, the prices leave room for negotiation. It's just how open the person/retailer is with their negotiation that make the bottom line worth it or not!

#22 9 years ago

It seems like average condition DMDs, that were in the sub 2K range, have crept up to a minimum of 2k in the last year. I'm not sure if that is just wishful thinking on the sellers part or if they're actually selling at these prices.

#23 9 years ago

I haven't noticed an increase in games in the 3-4k range at all. Probably because a NIB stern pro at $4500 keeps them there

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Not necessarily. The market is just becoming over-saturated.
    Just wait until the remakes come out and nobody wants to take a loss on their $8K pin when it comes time to sell.

Maybe that is just the narrow perspective of the the upper tier collectors. I don't agree that is the perspective from the much larger chunk of the hobby where most of us are. I could care less about $8K pins and remakes...but a pin that *most* feel should be $1K based on its condition and is priced at $2K is not overpriced, it's massively overpriced.

#25 9 years ago

I used to get frustrated with the overpriced for sale ads. But after selling a dozen games, I get it. If I list my CV for $50, ten jackasses will ask if I will take $30. Now I usually set a higher price and the really interested parties contact me and get a real fair deal.

I have also priced a few games way below fair market value and they have sold immediately. I guess you can say that was priced right for the buyer as I left quite a bit on the table. heck, I sold a nice WH2O for 3K last year when they were approaching 4K avg. I had very little into it and made a good profit and gave a first time pin buyer a great deal.

I think there are some that will just try to push the market up and be unreasonable, but I'd urge you to PM any seller before you go publicly poo-pooing on their for sale thread. I Have gotten more good deals after building friendly rapport than trying to publicly shame the price down.

My $.02 anyway.

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Maybe that is just the narrow perspective of the the upper tier collectors. I don't agree that is the perspective from the much larger chunk of the hobby where most of us are. I could care less about $8K pins and remakes...but a pin that *most* feel should be $1K based on its condition and is priced at $2K is not overpriced, it's massively overpriced.

This is what I am talking about. it seems there are more over priced pins hitting the market here lately than usual, and it's not all retailers either.

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinstyle:

This is what I am talking about. it seems there are more over priced pins hitting the market here lately than usual, and it's not all retailers either.

I'd add that it's all not just "here" as in on Pinside. I'm seeing similar on CL, Ebay, Mr. Pinball. Usually you can tell which ones are retailers, which ones are hobbyists, and which ones are the general public, just by looking at the presentation details. I think it is a combined effect of several things:

A. The pinball hobby is growing.
    B. Supply is steadily decreasing over the years, much because of A above.
    C. Television shows such as Pawn Stars, American Pickers, etc, and the popularity of online selling venues means every Tom Dick and Harry thinks there junk is worth big $.

#28 9 years ago

I agree, I see the same thing on CL.

What, you mean $4000 for Corvette isn't reasonable? I almost fell out of my chair when I saw that one.

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Maybe that is just the narrow perspective of the the upper tier collectors. I don't agree that is the perspective from the much larger chunk of the hobby where most of us are.

......Or so you think!

You can Google discussions like this that go back 20 years on RGP.

I'm glad I didn't listen to those guys. Most of those posters are no longer in the hobby too.

The crappy pins of the 90's are now going for half the price of A-Titles. They have no choice but to.

Some will say, 'it's good for the hobby.' Others will make threads like this and complain.

#30 9 years ago

Posting higher prices seems easier way to negotiate to normal price levels these days. I sold a few pins, all bought nib by me, all pristine, still had folks telling me, yes, TELLING me what they were paying when I sell it to them. All sold within days or a week, so pricing was only what I had into the pins ( and obviously fair).

Even had one guy arguing with me cuz he needed gas reimbursement to come pick up...on a $6000 pin! Uhm, no? Really?

Most sales were great, even made a couple of friends, but man, those few goobers...

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Even had one guy arguing with me cuz he needed gas reimbursement to come pick up...on a $6000 pin! Uhm, no? Really?
    Most sales were great, even made a couple of friends, but man, those few goobers...

Holy sh!t, that takes some balls..

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinstyle:

Holy sh!t, that takes some balls..

He actually bought the pin. But somehow came into my home with only $5980. I sold him the pin, then, after we loaded it, I showed him a box of $300 worth of extras I bought for the game. He asked why? I said, " I was going to give these to the buyer free with the pin."

"Really?" He asked, reaching for the box.

"Was. Hope the twenty was worth it. Bye bye."

His look of disappointment was epic.

I've only been forced to do that twice. All other sales buyers left ecstatic.

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

......Or so you think!
    You can Google discussions like this that go back 20 years on RGP.
    I'm glad I didn't listen to those guys. Most of those posters are no longer in the hobby too.
    The crappy pins of the 90's are now going for half the price of A-Titles. They have no choice but to.
    Some will say, 'it's good for the hobby.' Others will make threads like this and complain.

Well, crappy pins of the 90's are still out of reach for my budget. Looking at all the online sales venues every day, there is nothing worth even considering. Zero projects. EM's for well over market value listed over and over ($300-$500 pins listed at godawful prices like $1200...and you know those prices are unrealistic since the same ones never sell and just get relisted again and again)

My hope is to eventually sell two of my System 11s to get into a decent 90s title.

#34 9 years ago

Don't undersell the sys 11's. They played fast as hell and most did what they were built to do. Make money and entertain.

Not to mention they are becoming popular in larger collections.

Look at my collection. I'd love to own most sys 11's, just to brag.

#35 9 years ago

I agree. My System 11s will be the last ones to leave my collection.

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Don't undersell the sys 11's. They played fast as hell and most did what they were built to do. Make money and entertain.
    Not to mention they are becoming popular in larger collections.
    Look at my collection. I'd love to own most sys 11's, just to brag.

Not underselling them. It's going to be VERY tough to let two of them go. I have family interested in taking over ownership of one, the other is least played at the moment in my collection. With limited space and funds selling two will allow me to get one modern B/W or DMD and move my EM out to my game room when I finish working on it. Both Sys 11s took a while to find and involved travel, as well as I overpaid a little to get them. I'll take a hit on one since it's family, and the other I will try to get what I have into it if I have to sell to the public. Folks are selling them in worse condition for more than I would ask for mine, so should be quick to go.

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

He actually bought the pin. But somehow came into my home with only $5980. I sold him the pin, then, after we loaded it, I showed him a box of $300 worth of extras I bought for the game. He asked why? I said, " I was going to give these to the buyer free with the pin."

I had a buyer like that once. He also left empty handed.

I hope he enjoyed the four hour drive back home.

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

I had a buyer like that once. He also left empty handed.
    I hope he enjoyed the four hour drive back home.

I didn't enjoy one second of it.
    Was hoping up to the end he was gonna pull a twenty out and say sorry man. But not this guy.

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

I didn't enjoy one second of it.
    Was hoping up to the end he was gonna pull a twenty out and say sorry man. But not this guy.

Damn, that's horrible!

Lucky for me, another buyer was also there that was willing to give me more for the game than I was going to sell it to this guy for.

I was being fair to the first buyer by still giving him first dibs and he continued to act like an ass, so I sold it to the other guy.

I bumped into the new owner last year at expo and he is still enjoying the machine.

#40 9 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

If I remember correctly the guy who stiffed you $20 would not even help you and your wife load the SM into you car. Nice guy.

#41 9 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

I'm not sure how I would have handled that situation, what an ass some people can be. It think if he intentially shorted me, I would have sent him packing, if he miss counted...ehh....not really believable but I probably would have let him go and sold him the pin.

#42 9 years ago
    Quoted from LitzDoc:

If I remember correctly the guy who stiffed you $20 would not even help you and your wife load the SM into you car. Nice guy.

This person is on ignore, which means he is on Pinside, so I won't go into exact specifics Con, as he can read my posts, and I'm hoping he's grown up since then? I dunno. I won't say it was or wasn't SM, but yes, my wife had to help me lift it into the truck while he stood, watching. She even waited to see if he would jump in. Nope. Maybe he had a hernia?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-rash and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.