Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Miguel351
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

GettyImages-114224028 (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

I was watching the "Bro, Do You Even Pinball?" stream the other day and was listening to Ed Robertson list off his machines and he mentioned that he's got a few that a friend of his is "babysitting". Then I did a forum search here and found that there are a decent number of you that either are babysitting someone's pin or have a few that are being babysat at other people's houses. I had heard of doing a temporary trade for pins, but I have to admit, this babysitting thing is new to me. Granted, it makes perfect sense, who better to take care of your pin than another pinhead? Also, I'm sure it's preferable to putting them into just about kind of storage facility. Plus, they get to enjoy playing it while they're watching it for you.

I'm curious as to how much of this goes on, too. If it's fairly common, should we start some sort of club for it? All in fun of course. But it might be a good way to let people know when and if you need a pin babysat or if you had room to babysit a pin or two. I'm also curious because I may need babysitting services for my 2 pins pretty soon. I'm going to be moving very soon(like in the next month or so) and would love to leave my pins with a fellow Pinsider/pinhead in the area. That way, I know they'd be safe and I wouldn't even have to think about them until my new house's game room is ready for them.

So, whaddaya think? Should we start up a club for this? Or make just this a thread for asking for or offering babysitting services? Or should this be another "I hate Stern"/"I hate JJP"/"I hate every new pin that just came out" thread?

#2 7 years ago

That's a great idea. Build a rec room and then offer pinsitting. Genius!

#3 7 years ago

In my opinion, you would REALLY need to know the people you will be doing this with.

I have games in my basement that are not mine. TOTAN, Airborne, Breakshot, T3, and Game Show, and some video games as well. Not really upper end machines, but if I were not good friends with the owner, no way he would trust me with a 7K TOTAN, nor would I with someone else I did not know really really well.

It is a great idea in theory, but in a large, move the games around group unless you're really tight knit I think it could cause strife.

One time I had a basement flood and that got dicey. It didn't get the pins, but easily could have. How would you resolve something like that?

Not trying to detract from the idea, because I have gotten to enjoy pins I would not be able to afford, but I am very lucky that he trusts me with the games.

Chris

#4 7 years ago

Very true. I'm not suggesting giving your games to someone you don't know or trust, obviously. I've met a few local pinsiders from my town and within a few minutes of meeting them, I knew they were standup guys. I would feel completely safe lending them my games. Also due to the fact that they have games that are way nicer than and worth WAY more than my games. Furthermore, Pinside and the local pinball communities that have existed well before it and outside of it, are small enough to be tight knit where everyone knows most everyone else, yet big enough to be able to reach pretty far. Staying within these kinds of communities, and making it known who has what of yours within those communities, increases accountability and narrows the chances for anything crazy to occur.

First and foremost though, like you're suggesting, these people need to be your friends. You need to know they're good folks and that others know them and respect them in the pinball community.

#5 7 years ago

I babysit whenever possible.

GettyImages-114224028 (resized).jpgGettyImages-114224028 (resized).jpg

#6 7 years ago

I've swapped pins with friends before. I've loaned out a game to a friend. These are machines that are meant to be played, I don't worry about them being out of my sight.

#7 7 years ago

This year I took my games to PAGG. My TAF got 702 plays, by probably 450+ people over the course of the weekend. I don't think I'll have a problem with up to three or four people in a single family playing my games that much over a month or so. Like you say Aurich, these are commercial quality games meant to be played. If I can let my 7 nieces and nephews, ages 3 to 16, play them without worrying, a fellow collector would be just fine in my book.

#8 7 years ago

Looking for a Metallica to babysit. I will cherish your Pro or Premium like they were my own. Loving household with good hygiene. No kids. Excellent flood-free neighborhood. References available. Operators standing by. Ask for Silverballer.

#9 7 years ago

I have four at my son's house and four at my daughter's house. My son has MM, STLE, ACDC and TAF. My daughter has TAF, TOM, WCS and POTC. I don't play them but I also don't want to sell them. Might as well let them enjoy them.

And I still have ten at home.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I have four at my son's house and four at my daughter's house. My son has MM, STLE, ACDC and TAF. My daughter has TAF, TOM, WCS and POTC. I don't play them but I also don't want to sell them. Might as well let them enjoy them.
    And I still have ten at home.

I can be up for adoption if you need more room...

#11 7 years ago

The Bro crew are baby sitting s couple of my pins. Obviously you have to know the 'sitters' very well...almost better than the one you hire to watch your kids =).

WPT and BSD are at the Bro's
    WH2O and Shadow at another Pinsider's
    AFM and JD at yet another Pinsider's
    Popeye also at a Pinsider's

I Think the BSD...AFM and JD are going on three years..maybe longer

All great people...not worried in the least about the games. Some day I'll have to make the rounds and start collecting...someday

#12 7 years ago

For those of you that do have pins at other people's places, who takes care of the upkeep/repairs?

I'd imagine it matters whether or not the babysitter is competent in their repair ability and your confidence of that ability therein, or conversely, if you even want anybody touching the "innards" of your pin besides yourself...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-pinball-babysitters-club and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.