8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by tiesmasc
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

PinballMap.com is a great site which is open source and has an API for interacting with it so people can develop apps for Android and iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Pebble Watch (see http://pinballmap.com/apps).

The PinballMap database seems to be maintained much more accurately and up to date than the Pinside Pin Map. It does so, I believe, through the use of administrators for regions and crowdsourcing by people using the web/apps. The disadvantage is that for places to play with no region administration I think there may not be a capability of documenting the locations. Additionally, it is very USA based. However, for the places with admins it seems to be much better than pinside's map.

So... wondering if there would be a way to make Pinside's Pin Map better (by it pulling data from Pinball Map using the API)... and if that could be reciprocated (such that when new data is added to Pinside's Pin Map it gets pushed to Pinball Map via API as well (but only for geographies with admins).

Note: A year ago someone started a similar request (but not in the feature forum) and it go little traction and no official response that I could tell (see https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-pin-map-and-pinballmapcom-can-they-work-together#post-1070892).

So... primarily just bumping this, adding a bit of detail, and putting it in the Feature Request Forum with the hopes of getting an official response.

#2 8 years ago

It seems cumbersome. Where is there a place to enter a zipcode?

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

It seems cumbersome. Where is there a place to enter a zipcode?

I'm not saying it wouldn't take some work and some differences between the sites might need to be overcome (and I'm avoiding trying to say how this could or should be done - b/c I don't have the time or capability). BUT I do feel like the Pinside Pin Map is not a very good resource except for places not listed on PinballMap. So the point of this feature request is to get Pinside's Pin Map to be better... by it pulling more accurate data from PinballMap (when possible). And for it to reciprocate that benefit by adding to PinballMap when it can.

In the end... and as a player... I'd like to have to only look one place for where I could play pinball (via an app or website). Today I look at pinballmap first (typically on my phone unless I'm already at a computer)... and if a region exists that's all I use. But when I travel someplace without a region (e.g. Connecticut) then I look on the Pinside Pin Map.

#4 8 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it.

FYI, there are some cool ideas in the pipeline for the map section, but unfortunately there's a lotta work on my plate and so it takes a while to work on feature requests right now. I hope to be able to do some much needed improvements to the map section very soon.

I like the idea of administrators for a region. How could we best set this up?

1 week later
    #5 8 years ago

Sorry for the delayed response. Thank you for considering this Robin! I have confidence in you and the Pinside staff that whatever you pic to implement will be great for all pinball hobbyists.

Quoted from robin:

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it.
    FYI, there are some cool ideas in the pipeline for the map section, but unfortunately there's a lotta work on my plate and so it takes a while to work on feature requests right now. I hope to be able to do some much needed improvements to the map section very soon.
    I like the idea of administrators for a region. How could we best set this up?

See http://blog.pinballmap.com/2014/07/21/criteria-for-adding-a-new-pinball-map for a blog post from the pinballmap people. Essentially a person has to volunteer to be an admin for an area. Not sure how that would best work relative to pinside but I'd guess volunteers could be solicited?

With just a quick look at the Pinside Map (and keeping in mind Pinball Map is very US centric) I'd guess Region Admin's would be needed for:

Continents or Very Large Regions:
    * South America
    * Australia or Australasia
    * Africa
    * Middle East
    And Countries
    * Mexico
    * Each country in Europe
    And perhaps when more specific...
    * Each Province in Canada...

And that is with no need to compare databases (as long as we ignore the USA). However, I had hoped to improve the USA too so that portion would likely require a database comparison and then some further thought.

Scott

#6 8 years ago

Just wondering, how would we moderate/administer the locations? I update locations I visited after I visit them. If I have never been there, how would I know to update it or that it is correct?
    I know there are certain people out there who maintain their own database and use that to update this one, such as LaughingOtter for the Seattle region. At least, he used to.

#7 8 years ago

This has crossed my mind as well. I think it would be great if Pinside would implement an API similar to Pinball Map. Then leave it to app developers if they wanted to support both sites in their apps.

#8 8 years ago

For moderating or administering a location I do not know... but I would guess once it is running they rely primarly on crowdsourcing to keep it up to date (as I can't imagine them actually visiting or calling all locations regularly)... so it may be mostly just getting it up and going? Perhaps some moderators are pinsiders and could comment?

Also love the idea from williams about an API and then app developers could read from both databases... that might be easiest to implement... and then the Pinside Map would maybe also check both databases?

From a user (and my own) perspective I would guess they only care about an accurate list of locations regardless if it comes from 1 site, 2 sites, or multiple sites. Just show me all the pins near where I wish to look and I'm happy.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-pin-map-pinball-map and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.