Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by spfxted
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

guy_bunny.jpg
    anim_22.gif
    auto-0085cigar.gif
    clap.gif
    outofspace.PNG
    There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

error attached

outofspace.PNGoutofspace.PNG

#2 11 years ago

I just tried sending you a test message, and I got the same error.

#3 11 years ago

Yep, the system was indeed full. It took the whole site down. I was shocked to see it too.
    Too many images, animated gifs (thanks Ted) and forum content.

I quickly freed up some disk space by removing some old backups, but need a long term solution. In other words, I need a bigger (virtual) hard drive in that server.

So if you have been thinking about making a (monthly) donation to the Pinside, this would be an excellent time to do it!

I'm gonna set up an alert to make sure this doesn't happen again. Sorry for the trouble everyone!

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Yep, the system was indeed full. It took the whole site down. I was shocked to see it too.Too many images, animated gifs (thanks Ted) and forum content.
    I quickly freed up some disk space by removing some old backups, but need a long term solution. In other words, I need a bigger (virtual) hard drive in that server.
    So if you have been thinking about making a (monthly) donation to the Pinside, this would be an excellent time to do it!
    I'm gonna set up an alert to make sure this doesn't happen again. Sorry for the trouble everyone!

it's all acdc's fault

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Yep, the system was indeed full. It took the whole site down. I was shocked to see it too.
    Too many images, animated gifs (thanks Ted) and forum content.

Hi Robin,

I am fairly new to Pinside, but I have been in the hobby for years. I really enjoy your site and appreciate all the time and effort that you have put into it. You have a good group of followers here. Just curious what kind of funds do you need to raise for a larger virtual hard drive...... I have been thinking about sending a donation your way. I know it will not buy you a new HD but at least its something .

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Too many images, animated gifs (thanks Ted)

HAHAHAHAHAH Classic Quick Ted, post a .gif that fits this situation.

#8 11 years ago

you could just eliminate the use of gifs...

unless of course they have bouncin boobs>> those are cool!

#9 11 years ago

Cut the GIFs.

#10 11 years ago

Don't cut the gifs, donation made.

#11 11 years ago

I think we are all so addicted, that he could do Pinside like one of those peep shows. Every so often, close it down with an error screen, and you'd have to put up more money to keep looking.

(No, really, don't do that. I'd go broke.)

#12 11 years ago

donation made

#14 11 years ago

Reoccuring donation started.

#15 11 years ago

This was a donation conspiracy.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

Reoccuring donation started

And +1 - just started my recurring as well

#17 11 years ago

Wow thanks, that was fast - you guys (and girls) are awesome! Your donations give me enough financial support to keep the site running!

But just as important, it's so cool to see appreciation for my work so thanks to everyone who donates to the Pinside.

To answer your question, with the disk space upgrade I'm looking at hosting fees of little over $100 per month. I used to have to cough this up myself for years (although the fee used to be lower as we didn't have as much visitors) but thanks to the growing community (and the Pinside heart) the site costs are now covered by voluntary donations! That rocks

I've got some new features coming to the site soon, a system that turns our forum into a knowledge base by linking games in our archive to topics on the forum - stay tuned for that!

#18 11 years ago

It's been a while since my last donation to Pinside. Donation made, keep up the good work Robin!

#19 11 years ago

So the server basically deallocates something every time this is encountered? Because my messages went through fine after seeing that.

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

So the server basically deallocates something every time this is encountered? Because my messages went through fine after seeing that.

no the error was real.. but PHP-mailer can backlog, the SMTP server gave the 4.3.1 it could be on another server partition whatever.. SMTP is a robust protocall.

or was it.. Robin just got the extra funds to pick up that so-cal safecracker! boo yea Robin! (kidding)

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

it's all acdc's fault

LMAO!

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

it's all acdc's fault

I thought Robin made it quite clear that it was Ted's fault.

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

it's all acdc's fault

hilarious!

#24 11 years ago

Reached into my pockets. Recurring.

How can I say no to you guys?

#25 11 years ago

Donation made. Save the gifs!

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

So if you have been thinking about making a (monthly) donation to the Pinside, this would be an excellent time to do it

Consider it done sir!

#27 11 years ago

Another donation on its way. Sincere thanks Robin.

I'll keep disk space in mind when posting pics. I'd hate to suggest setting image size limits, but maybe it's time to at least cut off super high res stuff...

Keep up the good work. We'll keep coming back.

Brian

#28 11 years ago

Why don't we just have users upload in a script or something similar to imgur.com? No need to host all that stuff here.

Regardless, donation made.

#29 11 years ago

Now I feel bad. I must have put 10 pics in that last tommy thread . Going to get the wallet now.

#30 11 years ago

Have been set up on a recuring donation since shortly after signing up (which was not that long ago). Not braging just saying.

#31 11 years ago

Way to go Ted!
    Your official Pinside "Affliction" shirt is in the mail! (Don't worry, it's Hawaiian themed... )

#32 11 years ago

One thing we all can do is to make sure our image up loads are less than 200kb, don’t really need 2mb image of a broken diode, busted switch or bouncing boobs.

Quoted from robin:

Too many images, animated gifs

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from Chrisbee:

One thing we all can do is to make sure our image up loads are less than 200kb, don’t really need 2mb image of a broken diode, busted switch or bouncing boobs.

EHEM ... ixnay on the oobsbay. I vote bouncing boobs have exemption to resolution limits.

#34 11 years ago

I last donated in June. Time for a, er, re-donation?

BTW, I <3 Boobies is a t-shirt for breast cancer. That's my excuse. :p......

#35 11 years ago

I vote to cut the gifs...it's kind of weak. But anywhom, this whole argument finally got me to donate, so some good comes out of it.

#36 11 years ago

Here ya go Robin,keep up the good work.
    I like Ted's Gifs to

Dan

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #38 11 years ago

Why don't you cut the crappy attitude all the time. I've got plenty of PM's from members that say they enjoy the Gifs a lot.
    If Robin says no more pix or Gifs... that's the person I listen to.

#39 11 years ago

after reading this thread i thought it i should do my part. donation made.

#40 11 years ago

Ted!! This is not a pm!! Your gif generator robot is awesome and definitely has a place in the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy. By the way, watched the deadly spawn the other night.

Awesome

#41 11 years ago

Done. Best website online. Been a wile since I gave to the church of pinball anyways.

#42 11 years ago

Donation made. The last thing I need is for this site to die off. I think losing this site in combination with the impending winter would kill me

#43 11 years ago

Whoa, can't believe what I woke up to. Thanks everyone for your contributions!

Quoted from pinster68:

I'll keep disk space in mind when posting pics. I'd hate to suggest setting image size limits, but maybe it's time to at least cut off super high res stuff...

Thanks! There currently is a limit 3MB limit when uploading files. It's fine if you upload a big file, but if that resolution is not necessary, resizing to something like 1024x768 sure is appreciated by the server and me

Quoted from PaulyB18:

Why don't we just have users upload in a script or something similar to imgur.com? No need to host all that stuff here.

The reason is that I want to keep control of the images. Let say someone posts a fantastic solution to a problem with his Jurassic Park. Loads of pictures. Then the image host (e.g. Imgur) goes bankrupt, is absorbed by Google or whatever and gone are all those images, turning a valuable forum post into just some text with no illustration of any kind.

The Pinside has been around for almost 10 years now and we've seen quite some webservices come and go. Will Imgur be around in 10 years from now? Will Flickr? Will Photobucket? The only thing I know for sure is that the Pinside will be!

Quoted from Chrisbee:

I was hoping to not bother the user with those kinds of decision. Although there is a limit currently of 3 MB (soon to be elevated to 4 MB to allow uploads directly from the iPhone when iOS6 is released).

Quoted from spfxted:

I've got plenty of PM's from members that say they enjoy the Gifs a lot.
    If Robin says no more pix or Gifs... that's the person I listen to.

Oh no, please guys, don't make me have to build an "ignore animated gifs" option.
    I'm sure there is a plugin/add-on/extension for that for your browser of choice.

#44 11 years ago

Donation sent.. Great work Robin, we'll keep you alive!

#45 11 years ago

Haha, thanks a lot, I appreciate it!

#46 11 years ago

GIFs are cool and all that, but I'd like the "ignore animated gifs" option.

Ted!! this is also not a PM!!! Your GIFs bog down my ability to read pinside and when you go on a nice GIFing spree in a tread, they often make it unreadable for me.

I probably need a new CPU or should find a better internet provider... Not really sure... All I know is that any thread with these damn GIFs is just adding to the noise/useful info ratio and makes my pinside experience less enjoyable since I can't even properly scroll when the GIF troll shows up.

#47 11 years ago

Robin, is there any way that Pinside could get sponsors for the site (i.e. Pinball Life, Marco Specialties, etc.)? The site is almost a conduit for which a noob like myself comes on and says, "Hey, I need parts! Where do I look first?!" Then, there's a stickied forum of reliable, awesome parts stores.

#48 11 years ago

Monthly plan set up now by TG, too. It isn't much but at least now it won't dawn on me that I keep forgetting to donate every once in awhile.

#49 11 years ago

Or maybe have people sign up and have, say, $5 a month automatically added to your account.

auto-0085cigar.gifauto-0085cigar.gif

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Or maybe have people sign up and have, say, $5 a month automatically added to your account.

Then you switch from voluntary taxation to forced membership.

I personally think things work pretty well the way they are. Robin just needs to give us all gentle reminders that he needs more donations from time to time.

I am pretty heavily embedded in the non-profit industry. This is my arena.

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-out-of-disk-space and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.