Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Parallels_DesktopScreenSnapz012.png
    Parallels_DesktopScreenSnapz008.png
    Parallels_DesktopScreenSnapz009.png
    Parallels_DesktopScreenSnapz010.png
    Parallels_DesktopScreenSnapz004.png
    Parallels_DesktopScreenSnapz005.png
    Parallels_DesktopScreenSnapz006.png
    Parallels_DesktopScreenSnapz007.png
    #1 8 years ago

When testing the various operating systems and browsers for image uploading, I noticed that in particular Internet Explorer prior to IE10 .. sucked. IF you're going to use IE at all, I recommend at least IE10. If you can't, then use another browser.

The rest of this thread will focus on some of the various ways that things fail, more for Robin's sake than anything. I'm hoping Robin's official position will be "Use IE10+ or another browser". I don't know how much of this is worth fixing - only his web server stats can say.

I'll occasionally come back to edit this top post with a 1 line status to avoid needing to wade through the rest of it.

All testing is being done using Parallels on Mac, using official Windows images downloaded from http://modern.ie . The only software add-ons I'm doing beyond this are Charles Proxy, http://charlesproxy.com, in order to man-in-the-middle the SSL API calls and report what the Pinside server is reporting to IE.

IE6 on XP: Does not connect.
    IE8 on XP: Does not connect.

IE8 on Win7: Missing visual elements. Bad response to image uploads.
    IE9 on Win7: Bad response to image uploads.
    IE10 on Win7: Works.
    IE11 on Win7: Works.

IE10 on Win8: Works
    IE11 on Win8.1: Works

#2 8 years ago

IE8 on Win7

First problem: Not all of the elements show up. Such as the list of topics.

Parallels DesktopScreenSnapz004.pngParallels DesktopScreenSnapz004.png

On a whim, I tried narrowing the screen, to see of the mobile version would look better. Not so much.

Parallels DesktopScreenSnapz005.pngParallels DesktopScreenSnapz005.png

Okay. Fine. Bring up a thread, and try putting in an image.

Observation: The "ADD FILES TO YOUR POST" box did not automatically open when scrolling to that part of the screen. This did not lazy open. I had to click it.

Parallels DesktopScreenSnapz006.pngParallels DesktopScreenSnapz006.png

Now, when trying to bring in the new file:

Parallels DesktopScreenSnapz007.pngParallels DesktopScreenSnapz007.png

When I last looked at this with CharlesProxy, this is a normal HTTP 200 status code response, served chunked, serving JSON output. Nothing special. But IE8 chokes on it.

This is what CharlesProxy shows.

On the request side:

POST /api/pinsideForum/uploadForumImage2 HTTP/1.1
    Accept: image/jpeg, application/x-ms-application, image/gif, application/xaml+xml, image/pjpeg, application/x-ms-xbap, */*
    Referer: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/harlem-globetrottersmy-first-complete-restoration
    Accept-Language: en-US
    User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET4.0C)
    Content-Type: multipart/form-data; boundary=---------------------------7df22c3a70234
    Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
    Host: pinside.com
    Content-Length: 9832
    Connection: Keep-Alive
    Cache-Control: no-cache
    Cookie: pinsideSession=censored

And the response,

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Server: nginx
    Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2015 04:04:15 GMT
    Content-Type: application/json
    Transfer-Encoding: chunked
    Connection: keep-alive
    Vary: Accept-Encoding
    Expires: Thu, 19 Nov 1981 08:52:00 GMT
    Pragma: no-cache
    Cache-Control: no-cache, must-revalidate
    Content-Encoding: gzip

{"success":1...snip}

#3 8 years ago

IE9, Win7

On this version, the list of subforums actually show. That is the good news.

Parallels DesktopScreenSnapz008.pngParallels DesktopScreenSnapz008.png

Like IE8, the "ADD FILES TO YOUR POST" dialogue is not expanded automatically, unlike modern browsers.

Parallels DesktopScreenSnapz009.pngParallels DesktopScreenSnapz009.png

Uploads fail. The messaging is similar to IE8; but the visual representation is better!

Parallels DesktopScreenSnapz010.pngParallels DesktopScreenSnapz010.png

#4 8 years ago

IE10 on Win7: Works.

Uploading via drag and drop works; as does "click here for file upload dialog".

Parallels_DesktopScreenSnapz012.pngParallels_DesktopScreenSnapz012.png

#5 8 years ago

my 2c... It probably doesnt work in IE6 either... and this is GOOD..

even Microsoft dont support IE8...
    and IE9 knows it is so bad that it kneecaps itself and auto installs the new version if you let it.

supporting old versions of IE an endless futile mess... if you have an old PC that you cant upgrade then install firefox.. happy browsing for everyone.

#6 8 years ago

Why in the heck would you run an old version of a web browser? I bet it doesn't look that great on Internet Explorer 2.0 either.

#7 8 years ago

Oh, I agree. But people were reporting image uploading problems with all sorts of crap that most of us would be surprised to see still in use. Much of it due to corporate policy, due to antiquated IT systems; or antiquated IT operators.

I'm documenting the current state of things. I'll let Robin decide whether to decree the obsolete as such; or to try and accommodate. He has a business decision (grin) to make on whether to support pre-IE10.

#8 8 years ago

IE11 on Win7: uploads seem to work.

Also does not auto-open the "ADD FILES TO YOUR POST". Interesting. Looks like perhaps all versions of IE fail to open the "ADD FILES" box.

#9 8 years ago

I usually have older computers, and I can say with confidence, if you're using an older computer, abandon IE and use Chrome. It's much faster on older systems.

#10 8 years ago

IE6 on XP: Just doesn't connect. Gold star, in my opinion! Other major web sites refuse to talk to IE6.
    IE8 on XP: Same thing.

Expect all XP to fail with underlying connection libraries (i.e. socket and TLS transport class, versus browser class). Not testing any other XP.

#11 8 years ago

IE10 on Win8: Works
    IE11 on Win8.1: Works

#12 8 years ago

Not worth the trouble for the site admins, seriously. It's not a problem with Pinside, it's that IE is behind with the times and generally a very bad browser to use compared to others.

#13 8 years ago

Guys, you don't have to convince me. Personally, I say burn those pesky Windows machines to the ground. I'm a mac guy.

The reality is, when crap was broken, we had lots of reports from various systems - many of them obsolete. I'd like Robin to be declare what the expected level of support is - and then be able to quote it and then consider bug reports from those old browsers as invalid. And, to let the people reporting it, know they should switch or upgrade browsers.

#14 8 years ago

WinXP with Chrome still works, it has some difficulties with the small icons in the posts, sometimes they don't appear. No problems further.
    PS3 browser doesn't connect.

#15 8 years ago

You kids today and your namby pamby "we don't have to support every browser ever made" philosophy. Back in my day, our bosses lived in mortal terror that the one guy out there using Internet Explorer 2.0 for Mac wouldn't be able to access our site, and our shopping cart JavaScript damn well better be WebTV compliant!

#16 8 years ago

IE8 isn't even supported anymore. The only people that "should" be running it these days are those running Windows XP still. And even those people should have abandoned it in favor of Chrome or Firefox by now unless they're on a corporate network that forbids it.

If you are on Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 or above IE11 is available to you. All you have to do is go to Windows Update and download it. They make it easy enough to stay up to date.

Starting next year, MS will only support the most recent version of IE available for OS's still under support. A link to the support matrix is below.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/microsoft-internet-explorer

I use IE11 every day at work and have run into zero problems (no Pinside for me there) with it so far. On the business side, the only thing we've encountered is having to run the adp website in compatibility mode to resolve some rendering issues. At home I use IE11, but don't do much web browsing on my gaming rig anymore. I've got a tablet for that.

Robin has said in the past that Pinside is designed to work best with Chrome, but I think it would make sense to keep it fully functional with the most recent version of IE as well. Then again, he knows the statistics regarding what browsers people are using to access the site. Based on the changes he made in the last month or two, I'm sure it is mobile browsers making up the lion's share of hits.

Edge is coming out in about a month's time. It will be interesting to see how that plays out and how it plays with Pinside.

#17 8 years ago

I'm stuck on IE9 while at work, so Robin occasionally hears complaints from me when things don't work. I mostly just switch to my iPhone if I have to do something on here besides just post during the day, since there's no way that I can upgrade company property. Thanks for the detailed information. I know he tries his best to make everything work for everyone, and knowing exactly what the issues are is super helpful.

#18 8 years ago

The only thing IE is good for is to download a different browser

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-on-older-versions-of-internet-explorer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.