Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Baiter
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinside_issue.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider baiter.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 10 years ago

I'm with the OP. I use Google Chrome on a SGS3 and I have significant issues both reading and posting:

Reading: I see huge discrepancies in font sizing between reply text and quote text in the same reply, requiring me to zoom in and out in the same post. This may have something to do with the fact that I changed the scale of the default font, but it points to the fact that fonts need to either be all specified or all system default, but mixing the two is bad

Posting is just shy of completely unusable. This used to work fine but when the change was made to make posting dynamic (keep the thread active on the page, show replies dynamically), now as I try to enter text into the box, things jump all over the place, fonts keep changing size. It's nearly impossible to enter anything in there.

#30 10 years ago

Here is a sample screenshot showing the font issues with Android Chrome browser. This is "normal" font size. The android default browser doesn't have this issue.

pinside_issue.pngpinside_issue.png

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from accidental:

I feel like it's in the hands of the mobile software makers to ensure their browsers are just as compatible as their desktop counterparts. It shouldn't be like the bad old days before web standards where web developers have to make concessions for the quirks of each browser and device. Android users know they're buying into the Wild West and should expect to have compatibility issues on the web just as they do with apps, services and updates. If you want to experience the fewest issues you need to buy the device(s) with the biggest critical mass.

Unfortunately it's not that simple. You see this a lot when you use the zooming feature in a browser. It's a particularly difficult problem for web designers as certain zoom levels usually destroy an otherwise well conceived layout. The issue with mobile browsers is an extension of this... they are small devices with fewer pixels than a desktop, and rely much more heavily on zooming than a desktop browser.

There is some truth to your "critical mass" statement, but all that means is that web designers typically do QA on the most popular browsers... and slacked off on the others. if we all stuck with "critical mass", we'd all be using IE on windows phones. IE was the king of the non-standard browsers until recently, forcing web designers to create two variations of a web site, one for IE, and another fully standards compliant version that works for every other browser in existence.

Also, last I checked, Android smart phones are outselling every other type of device, combined, and mobile devices in general are out-selling PCs, so lets not pretend Android devices are outliers compared to anything else.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider baiter.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-on-android?tu=baiter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.