6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Baiter
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pinside_issue.png

#1 6 years ago

How does everyone use Pinside on Android? I am using Chrome on Jellybean and boy does it suck. Site renders slow and when typing it just lags like crazy...

#2 6 years ago

Hmm...I use Chrome on Jellybean as well (Galaxy S3) with no issues.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from floyd1977:

Hmm...I use Chrome on Jellybean as well (Galaxy S3) with no issues.

I am on the Galaxy Nexus. Your phone is quite a bit beefier than mine is. Maybe this is why. I do have mine overclocked though...

#4 6 years ago

I'm on an older HTC Rezound running ICS and Chrome with no issues.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

I'm on an older HTC Rezound running ICS and Chrome with no issues.

Well crap...

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

How does everyone use Pinside on Android? I am using Chrome on Jellybean and boy does it suck. Site renders slow and when typing it just lags like crazy...

I use dolphin and have no issues on my cell or tablet.

#7 6 years ago

Maybe it is just me. Will check on my tablet tonight...

#8 6 years ago

Oh...I'm also accessing it from my older Toshiba Tablet running Ice Cream Sandwich as well with no issues.

#9 6 years ago

Maybe it has something to do with aokp?

#10 6 years ago

I can run it on my droid razr maxx hd with both chrome and dolphin with no issues.

#11 6 years ago

Still would be much better with an app...

#12 6 years ago

when i read pinside threads on chrome/android, some post in the thread have readable font size and other posts in the same thread have really small font size.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Still would be much better with an app...

I agree

Quoted from sixstring:

when i read pinside threads on chrome/android, some post in the thread have readable font size and other posts in the same thread have really small font size.

I have this exact problem. I am on my touchpad hacked to run android and it is working sort of OK. Not a good experience at all though....

4 weeks later
    #14 6 years ago

Just to chime in I'm running a Samsung Note 2 which is also showing large fonts on some posts and small fonts on the other. This is creating a pinch to zoom nightmare. As like the rest of you I'm also on another 20 forums and none of them are exhibiting this behavior.

+1 for an app or for a fix.

#15 6 years ago

I use my Droid X and pinside works fine for me.

#16 6 years ago

I use a Droid Razr and have no issues.

#17 6 years ago

Works beautifully on both my Galaxy S2 (phone) and my Nexus 10 (tablet). Loads quickly and completely.

#18 6 years ago

Any chance a app is in the works?

2 weeks later
    #19 6 years ago

I'm with the OP. I use Google Chrome on a SGS3 and I have significant issues both reading and posting:

Reading: I see huge discrepancies in font sizing between reply text and quote text in the same reply, requiring me to zoom in and out in the same post. This may have something to do with the fact that I changed the scale of the default font, but it points to the fact that fonts need to either be all specified or all system default, but mixing the two is bad

Posting is just shy of completely unusable. This used to work fine but when the change was made to make posting dynamic (keep the thread active on the page, show replies dynamically), now as I try to enter text into the box, things jump all over the place, fonts keep changing size. It's nearly impossible to enter anything in there.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

I'm with the OP. I use Google Chrome on a SGS3 and I have significant issues both reading and posting:
    Reading: I see huge discrepancies in font sizing between reply text and quote text in the same reply, requiring me to zoom in and out in the same post. This may have something to do with the fact that I changed the scale of the default font, but it points to the fact that fonts need to either be all specified or all system default, but mixing the two is bad
    Posting is just shy of completely unusable. This used to work fine but when the change was made to make posting dynamic (keep the thread active on the page, show replies dynamically), now as I try to enter text into the box, things jump all over the place, fonts keep changing size. It's nearly impossible to enter anything in there.

i have these exact same problems!

#21 6 years ago

Optimus G I think is what I have. I use chrome and the built in browser. Works fine

#22 6 years ago

Opera on Android no problems.

Use the "old" version of Opera, the new release totally blows.

#23 6 years ago

Thanks for the bug reports, I don't have an Android phone so a little hard to test this myself.

Could you guys post some screenshots of the issues? Or possibly a video? That would be helpful!

Plus, does anyone know if it is possible for me to test this on my system (Mac OSX) using an emulator?

Would it help if I added a little checkbox to the posting form which allows you to choose wether to skip the dynamic page loading and simply do a regular page reload after pasting?

Or maybe I should completely disable dynamic reloading on any mobile browser?

Thanks for your insights, Android users!

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from Anidor:

I can run it on my droid razr maxx hd with both chrome and dolphin with no issues.

Same here, I love the Dolphin browser!

#25 6 years ago

Which Browser has the best Text wrapping feature on Galaxy S3. So I can zoom in and still read everything.

Chrome ... sucks
    Oprah was awesome then the f... updated it. Now its ok but no text wrapping.
    Firefox is my preferred now.
    Stock broweser is a joke... Dont even think of using it.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from Av8:

Which Browser has the best Text wrapping feature on Galaxy S3. So I can zoom in and still read everything.
    Chrome ... sucks
    Oprah was awesome then the f... updated it. Now its ok but no text wrapping.
    Firefox is my preferred now.
    Stock broweser is a joke... Dont even think of using it.

Try Opera Classic.
    It allows text wrapping in the setting menu and runs solid.

#27 6 years ago

I have a Droid3 running Android 2.3.4, and have no issues reading or responding to threads.

However, my major gripe is that the Pinside Map is almost unusable. It has difficulty displaying the map, zooming in or out, or recognizing when I want to pull up a specifc location's info.

This is the one function I'd really like to have operational on the phone...

Later,
    EV

#28 6 years ago

I feel like it's in the hands of the mobile software makers to ensure their browsers are just as compatible as their desktop counterparts. It shouldn't be like the bad old days before web standards where web developers have to make concessions for the quirks of each browser and device. Android users know they're buying into the Wild West and should expect to have compatibility issues on the web just as they do with apps, services and updates. If you want to experience the fewest issues you need to buy the device(s) with the biggest critical mass.

#29 6 years ago

In general, Pinside continues to be great for me on my Android devices. I've never seen an issue when browsing the forums going all the way back to my Nexus One.

Someone earlier mentioned the Pinside Map - they're right, that's unmanageable.

The other thing I find isn't supported is viewing pictures. Once you click to enlarge them, the second you touch the screen to center the image the picture disappears.

Quoted from robin:

Plus, does anyone know if it is possible for me to test this on my system (Mac OSX) using an emulator?

Robin, look at the Android developer's kit. I know that it has an emulator to run apps you're building, but IDK what you'd see if ya ran a browser app, and tried to access the net.

This is the go-to site for all things Android related: http://www.xda-developers.com/

cheers.

#30 6 years ago

Here is a sample screenshot showing the font issues with Android Chrome browser. This is "normal" font size. The android default browser doesn't have this issue.

pinside_issue.png

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from accidental:

I feel like it's in the hands of the mobile software makers to ensure their browsers are just as compatible as their desktop counterparts. It shouldn't be like the bad old days before web standards where web developers have to make concessions for the quirks of each browser and device. Android users know they're buying into the Wild West and should expect to have compatibility issues on the web just as they do with apps, services and updates. If you want to experience the fewest issues you need to buy the device(s) with the biggest critical mass.

Unfortunately it's not that simple. You see this a lot when you use the zooming feature in a browser. It's a particularly difficult problem for web designers as certain zoom levels usually destroy an otherwise well conceived layout. The issue with mobile browsers is an extension of this... they are small devices with fewer pixels than a desktop, and rely much more heavily on zooming than a desktop browser.

There is some truth to your "critical mass" statement, but all that means is that web designers typically do QA on the most popular browsers... and slacked off on the others. if we all stuck with "critical mass", we'd all be using IE on windows phones. IE was the king of the non-standard browsers until recently, forcing web designers to create two variations of a web site, one for IE, and another fully standards compliant version that works for every other browser in existence.

Also, last I checked, Android smart phones are outselling every other type of device, combined, and mobile devices in general are out-selling PCs, so lets not pretend Android devices are outliers compared to anything else.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 22.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 225.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    FlyLand Designs
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 21.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 69.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pinball Z
    $ 45.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 79.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    RGP Models
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 70.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 14.95
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside