Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 78 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by TaylorVA
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

gonna_be_sick.jpeg
    the_most_interesting_man.jpg
    twss.jpg
    There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 12 years ago

Pinside has got a lot of things going for it, but it isn't number one in at least a few fields;

• IPDB still is the the number one resource for background information and/or machine pictures.
    • Pinballhead.com has become the best source for pinball related news, as it is often the fastest and most complete.
    • the old pinrepair.com documents still are my first stop for general technical information. A lot of people probably have a local copy or found a mirror that still works. Pinwiki is on the rise though, and becomes increasingly valuable, although progress has been slow.

What makes Pinside special though, is that it is the only site which provides an integrated experience. It also is under active development, in contrast to IPDB for example.

Maybe there's a future in working together with sites like ipdb, pinwiki and pinballhead instead of creating redundancy. I'm pretty sure most sites are operated out of love for the game, which could prove to be a good foundation for some kind of collaboration.

#52 12 years ago
    Quoted from Stavs:

If I wanted to see red legs on a BSD, this is where I'd go. If I wanted to know why my machine is blowing up, I'd go to RGP.

RPG called and wants to know why they are stuck in 1989's format.

PS. I like my red BSD legs!

#53 12 years ago

Pinsiders are sometimes over enthusiastic newbs that pay stupid money for their pins, in effect driving up prices.

RGP'ers are sometimes pompus elitist jackwagon's.

But these are both simply loud minorities. In far more cases the members of both sites are an asset to the hobby. I like Pinside better because it's a more interactive experience, you can post your collection, see others collections, etc. And the tech help that I used to find only over at RGP is now here for the most part, so I rarely go there anymore at all.

By publicly declaring "your" site is better than "their" site, you might be dabbling in the same elitist nonsense that you claim to be avoiding...

#54 12 years ago

At least we Have Pin Forum's to Log onto !! I'm Happy

#55 12 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Everyone is new to the hobby at one point or another. There is no harm in helping those new to the hobby out. It only encourages more people to have the confidence to buy and maintain pins. That is actually what I really appreciate about Pinside. To each their own I guess.

DA-

Well said!! You have helped me may times with pin issues in the past (thank you).

I think the wealth of knowledge and easy format here is fantastic and will always continue to support Robin and the Pinside community.

If people view me as a rookie for posting pics of my pins (with red legs) i'm okay with that.....where else can you get a message to call a fellow pinsider and ask questions on what colors of LED's they used in their pins for best effects, or get discounts on pinball parts?

The quality of people here (Pinside memebers) are TOP NOTCH. Not only do I NOT feel like someone is making fun of me for posting pics or asking general questions but I enjoy the people and general conversation about something that I enjoy.

Questions? There was an article a couple of weeks ago where Stern was quoted saying "we visit sites like Pinside to get ideas or pulse checks on the current market" (or something like that). I personally think that speaks to the type of community we have here.

I take pride in being a member of an online community where it may be possible that my ideas or pics (red legs on BSD) may someday be the next great idea.

#56 12 years ago
    Quoted from JDub1006:

The_Dude_Abides said:Everyone is new to the hobby at one point or another. There is no harm in helping those new to the hobby out. It only encourages more people to have the confidence to buy and maintain pins. That is actually what I really appreciate about Pinside. To each their own I guess.
    DA-
    Well said!! You have helped me may times with pin issues in the past (thank you).
    I think the wealth of knowledge and easy format here is fantastic and will always continue to support Robin and the Pinside community.
    If people view me as a rookie for posting pics of my pins (with red legs) i'm okay with that.....where else can you get a message to call a fellow pinsider and ask questions on what colors of LED's they used in their pins for best effects, or get discounts on pinball parts?
    The quality of people here (Pinside memebers) are TOP NOTCH. Not only do I NOT feel like someone is making fun of me for posting pics or asking general questions but I enjoy the people and general conversation about something that I enjoy.
    Questions? There was an article a couple of weeks ago where Stern was quoted saying "we visit sites like Pinside to get ideas or pulse checks on the current market" (or something like that). I personally think that speaks to the type of community we have here.
    I take pride in being a member of an online community where it may be possible that my ideas or pics (red legs on BSD) may someday be the next great idea.

The same can be said for RGP where I cut my teeth. I feel an affinity for RGP because I have met great people through it.

I think people think taking swipes at RGP is fair game yet a lot of those people are also contributing here. If anyone is to commend for the success of pinside it is not the members but the founders that have created a great social site for the hobby. I'm no newb and I see very few differences between the attitudes here and there.

As far as painted legs, to each their own IMO. All that stuff has been done before and most likely first by someone not on a forum declaring their place in the hobby.

#57 12 years ago
    Quoted from JDub1006:

Stavs said:If I wanted to see red legs on a BSD, this is where I'd go. If I wanted to know why my machine is blowing up, I'd go to RGP.

RPG called and wants to know why they are stuck in 1989's format.
    PS. I like my red BSD legs!

Lol! I didn't mean anything personal with that comment. It was the freshest thing on my mind. I'm sorry if that offended you as that wasn't my intention.

#58 12 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

If anyone is to commend for the success of pinside it is not the members but the founders that have created a great social site for the hobby. I'm no newb and I see very few differences between the attitudes here and there.

As far as painted legs, to each their own IMO. All that stuff has been done before and most likely first by someone not on a forum declaring their place in the hobby.

...I think people have a lot to do with the success of any online forum??

#59 12 years ago

Bagging on RGP is like call your mother a whore.

Jim

#60 12 years ago

I am such a newb that I don't even know what RGP is and when I google search for it, all I find are sites dedicated to Role Playing Games...

Anyone have a link so I can check it out?

#61 12 years ago

rec.games.pinball

sorry here's the link: http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/topics

#62 12 years ago

Thanks! At first glance, RGP is very cumbersome to navigate.

I will check it out in more depth when I get a chance.

#63 12 years ago

If that's the case, then use this:

http://rgparchive-removed.com/rgpforum/forumdisplay.php?f=2

I grew up with USENET so it's second nature to me.

There is nothing wrong with newbs, but sometimes it's a bit much. I dunno, I've posted many times with issues that have stumped me, but in most cases it seems like I've tried harder to fix the issue before posting. Also, some of the advice here is really bad. I've seen many games go from a little broken to blown boards because of bad advice here.

Also, on pinside there is a lot of encouragement to overpay for games and an acceptance of zip tying any piece of crap you can find into a game and calling it a mod. It's all good, it's just how it is.

Quoted from Whysnow:

Thanks! At first glance, RGP is very cumbersome to navigate.

#64 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

Pinside has a mentality more along the lines of dolphin-safe tuna fish eating, tree-hugging, and perhaps with a dash of sexy teacher, brandishing a long stick and poised to whack it across your knuckles if you misbehave ...

Am I the "sexy teacher" in this analogy?

#65 12 years ago

Can't we all just get along?

#66 12 years ago

gonna_be_sick.jpeggonna_be_sick.jpeg

#67 12 years ago
    Quoted from Stavs:

It was the freshest thing on my mind. I'm sorry if that offended you as that wasn't my intention.

It's all good, I wasnt offended. I still like my Red Legs

#68 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

pinster68 said:Pinside has a mentality more along the lines of dolphin-safe tuna fish eating, tree-hugging, and perhaps with a dash of sexy teacher, brandishing a long stick and poised to whack it across your knuckles if you misbehave ...

I don't know how to answer this. If you're female, hot, and have shamed me on some post that I may have misbehaved on, then yes - you may have that distinction. However ... if you're a dude I'm totally whigged out, have bad visuals, and am feeling to the urge to say "eeeeeww!".

#69 12 years ago

Getting along (most of the time) and keeping this hobby alive by helping each others out, sharing experiences and discutions to name a few is what drives me.
    and thats what i found here!!!

#70 12 years ago
    Quoted from JDub1006:

TaylorVA said:If anyone is to commend for the success of pinside it is not the members but the founders that have created a great social site for the hobby. I'm no newb and I see very few differences between the attitudes here and there.

I do too, but if the same people are basically populating both groups what is the difference? IMO it is the excellent social setting that Robin and his guys have created.

#71 12 years ago

I lurk in all of the pinball forums, but only post here. Others seem just as friendly but without the bells and whistles. RGP though is different. It's like any other public unmoderated forum, no better no worse as far as attitude goes. You will get trolled there sooner or later. Someone might actually post all of your private information publicly. There are friendly people there however. Also RGP is a treasure. Yesterday I wanted to check on release buzz about CV. Went into the RGP archives and could have still been reading today there is so much information. I read RGP every day, just won't post there.

For me Pinside is the #1 site for participation. That's why I picked this one after lurking for months. You will not be punished here for saying "Hi, I am the new guy."

#72 12 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

For example look at the WOZ artwork thread, there are about 65 posts. At RGP, their WOZ artwork thread has only been about 5 posts and about 55 views.
    I have noticed this trend for the last few months.
    Pinside is the new #1.

http://www.aussiearcade.com.au/forumdisplay.php/168-New-Pinball-Discussion

Wizard Of OZ Pinball - Discussions and Opinions

Replies: 1,283
    Views: 43,354

AC/DC confirmed.. Pinside post.

Replies: 1,407
    Views: 45,536

#73 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

Pinside has a mentality more along the lines of dolphin-safe tuna fish eating, tree-hugging, and perhaps with a dash of sexy teacher, brandishing a long stick and poised to whack it across your knuckles if you misbehave. Then she'll post a score on how hard she hit you.

I never looked at it that way!

#74 12 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

For example look at the WOZ artwork thread, there are about 65 posts. At RGP, their WOZ artwork thread has only been about 5 posts and about 55 views.
    I have noticed this trend for the last few months.
    Pinside is the new #1.

Welcome to Aussie Arcade DCFAN! I noticed that you just joined.. Everyone is welcome there!

#75 12 years ago
    Quoted from JDub1006:

100% agree - a social site is only as good as it's members

#76 12 years ago

"It's all good, I wasnt offended. I still like my Red Legs"

I want to see these!

#77 12 years ago

Clearly Pinside is better as a site because it's an actual site. RGP is one of those things that people used to go on in the 90s to look for n3wd c3lebz.

#78 12 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

Clearly Pinside is better as a site because it's an actual site. RGP is one of those things that people used to go on in the 90s to look for n3wd c3lebz.

Oh yeah, back when people replaced E's with 3's.

I guess you havent gotten over that stint working in the license place shop. How many years?

There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-must-be-deemed-the-1-pinball-site/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.