Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Pintucky
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

some_analytics.png
    #1 9 years ago

PINSIDE isn't the only place representing the hobby, but certainly a key indicator. So I'm wondering if Robin can share if the membership (and therefore our hobby) is growing. A growth chart over time perhaps ... How are we doing Robin?

BTW as of today it looks like 24261 members per the 'Find Pinsiders' page.

#2 9 years ago

I cant imagine how random members numbers compute to representation of collectors, When were these 24261 members last online?, Are some really collectors or are they here for another reason (IE: screenprinting information for example).... In fact I myself came here for a marketplace ad that never panned out, and really have little interest in the rest.... Please delete my account.

#3 9 years ago
    Quoted from xt101:

I cant imagine how random members numbers compute to representation of collectors, When were these 24261 members last online?, Are some really collectors or are they here for another reason (IE: screenprinting information for example).... In fact I myself came here for a marketplace ad that never panned out, and really have little interest in the rest.... Please delete my account.

That's disapointing, I really enjoy the site. Sorry your experience hasn't taken you to a new level. Having said that, goodbye.

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from xt101:

Sad to hear. I have found the site most informative and a large majority of the members i have interacted with have been extremely helpful and enthusiastic. I have discovered many mods/options/hints for my machines that i was not previously aware of. When i've had a technical issue with my machines there has been a wealth of knowledge in this forum to draw from. It's NOT perfect in here, no forums are, you are dealing with people from the complete spectrum of humanity, from complete trolling arseholes to people that will go out of their way to help you. It is what it is !!!

#5 9 years ago

The best part of pinside is its international demographic. It gives a great insight into the "world" of pinball, rather than other forums which seem determined to have much more limited horizons. There is no real entrenched groupthink style hierarchy on the forum and I have found it to be very egalitarian in nature.

Plus the moderators here don't incite mob mentality against individuals or otherwise abuse their position of "authority".

Two aspects that are crucial to a truly representative pinball forum.

I have met some great pinsiders in person from North America and Europe after attending pinball shows in the US after having struck up a dialogue with them on pinside.

With the way it is currently managed, I can predict pinside's membership trajectory continuing to go onward and upward.

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from xt101:

As with any statistic there will be a certain number of ... how shall we say ... types like you. You are the infinitesimal, insignificant, teeny weenie ... commonly distilled down to that known as a "margin of error". No doubt this is representative of your impact on the world. You are next to null, a troll. Kind of like that guy Frank Furhter on RGP. But I digress ... statistics account for you.

Robin is a pretty smart fellow, and I'll take it his stats show an alarming number of trends. Some we've seen already. Hoping he chimes in...

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

As with any statistic there will be a certain number of ... how shall we say ... types like you. You are the infinitesimal, insignificant, teeny weenie ... commonly distilled down to that known as a "margin of error". No doubt this is representative of your impact on the world. You are next to null, a troll. Kind of like that guy Frank Furhter on RGP. But I digress ... statistics account for you.
    Robin is a pretty smart fellow, and I'll take it his stats show an alarming number of trends. Some we've seen already. Hoping he chimes in...

That's pretty harsh. Just because someone doesn't agree with you they are a troll? You have the right to judge them? Posts like yours scare away more newbies than they encourage.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from xt101:

Not sad at all... just... whatever. NEXT!

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from xt101:

Please delete my account.

don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out!

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballmike217:

That's pretty harsh. Just because someone doesn't agree with you they are a troll? You have the right to judge them? Posts like yours scare away more newbies than they encourage.

I disagree with your point of view ... and I don't think you're a troll as I know you contribute to Pinside otherwise. xt101's just happen to visit Pinside, see this post, and decide to challenge the significance of Pinside, waste our time, waste Robin's time to delete his account? Seem fishy to you?

#11 9 years ago

i'm more interested in the #'s and less the drama

#12 9 years ago

I haven't been to Rec.games.pinball in a long time. This is the pinball page to be on. What else is there?

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from labnip:

i'm more interested in the #'s and less the drama

Yep, me too. Back on track.

I'm very much interested to see if the hobby is growing. I'm also interested in the trending info that is available based on which pins are being talked about. Lots of good info to measure that tells quite a story.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from lllvjr:

I haven't been to Rec.games.pinball in a long time. This is the pinball page to be on. What else is there?

I still visit. There's some really great people there that just never joined Pinside. Some of the best tech advice comes from RGP.

#15 9 years ago

I would love to see a figure of Pinsiders online trend for the past 5 years.

I would love to see a unique visitor per day count figure for the past 5 years.

#16 9 years ago

I posted this thread two years and nine months ago. Pinside has exploded since then....

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/140-members-on-line

EDIT: FYI - there are 470 members on-line right now. That's about a 3x increase.

#17 9 years ago

bump

#18 9 years ago

Sorry for my slow response. I'm happy to share some data with you.

Quoted from pinster68:

I'm wondering if Robin can share if the membership (and therefore our hobby) is growing.

At the end of November, there are 24,208 "real "Pinside accounts. That's the number of activated, non-blocked/banned/frozen/dupe accounts.

Of those 24,208:
    ...13,330 Pinsiders logged on in the past 365 days
    ...5,977 Pinsiders logged on in the past 30 days (of those, 3,440 have made at least one post on the forum.)
    ...4,456 Pinsiders logged on in the past week (of those, 1,984 have made at least one post on the forum.)

This year we have had between 7 and 35 new signups per day (depending on the day).

Quoted from Whysnow:

I would love to see a figure of Pinsiders online trend for the past 5 years. I would love to see a unique visitor per day count figure for the past 5 years.

"Current Pinsiders online" count data was never stored anywhere, sorry.

I've included some analytics data graphs for the time period Nov 7, 2009 and Nov 30, 2014.
    some_analytics.pngsome_analytics.png
    Note: the area marked "oops" was an analytics blackout due to an error on my end. We have no visitor stats for that time period.

As for new signups, this is the table:
    2001: 1 Pinsider signed up
    2002: 8 Pinsiders signed up
    2003: 572 Pinsiders signed up
    2004: 677 Pinsiders signed up
    2005: 379 Pinsiders signed up
    2006: 228 Pinsiders signed up
    2007: 214 Pinsiders signed up
    2008: 380 Pinsiders signed up
    2009: 883 Pinsiders signed up
    2010: 650 Pinsiders signed up
    2011: 2164 Pinsiders signed up
    2012: 5411 Pinsiders signed up
    2013: 6449 Pinsiders signed up
    2014: 6473 Pinsiders signed up (and counting!)

#19 9 years ago

very cool data. Thanks for sharing Robin.

#20 9 years ago

I am one of those 6449 from 2013. Looks like membership has exploded in the last three years, far more than '01-'11 combined. Pinside has played a role in the rejuvenated interest in pinball. Good for Pinside and good for the hobby. Thanks for the stats, awesome website and keep up the good work!

#21 9 years ago

Wow, this really tells a story. Thanks for sharing Robin.

#22 9 years ago

What's with the membership drop from 2005-2007? Were a bunch of accounts deleted?

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

What's with the membership drop from 2005-2007? Were a bunch of accounts deleted?

One can only guess why. Nothing was done that I know of.

Keep in mind, back then there was no forum yet. The only reason to sign up was if you wanted to add/edit the archive, do ratings, write stories. I can imagine there's a much bigger reason to sign up for the forum then there was for only rating games. (?)

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

One can only guess why. Nothing was done that I know of.
    Keep in mind, back then there was no forum yet. The only reason to sign up was if you wanted to add/edit the archive, do ratings, write stories. I can imagine there's a much bigger reason to sign up for the forum then there was for only rating games. (?)

Yes. To complain and police for sale prices.

Now that you've compiled all this wonderful data, Robin, I'd like you to come up with some sort of graph that shows how the karma points are spread out. I.e.: how much each member actually uses the forum. For instance, are there only 1% of members with more than 10,000,000 karma points? And what percentage has less than 200,000?

Of course, I don't really expect you to do anything of the sort. Still planning a trip to the Netherlands next year, so watch out!

#25 9 years ago

Only 10 away from 25,000 pinsiders.

#26 9 years ago

2003 here. One of the first batch before the big explosion of the last 4 years.

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from xt101:

Don't let the door hit you on the way out....!

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

2003 here. One of the first batch before the big explosion of the last 4 years.

Holy crap - you've been on for 11 years!?

Dang - I felt high and mighty at 4 years in a pool of 1,2 noobs.

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Those are the number of new accounts added each year, not total membership count.

#30 9 years ago

I joined right after the forum was added. At the time, I didn't know I was a fledgling member on the 'cutting edge'.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-membership-trending and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.