Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Pinchroma
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I just looked at a marketplace ad for Sega Twister and noticed that it shows the owner as being a Pinside member since 1970. Wow, has Pinside (and the internet!!!) been around that long?

Or maybe it's a bug in the system somewhere.

#2 11 years ago

LMAO

#3 11 years ago

Bet it was midnight, jan 1st 1970

#4 11 years ago

Yeah, I've been noticing the same thing ever since I joined pinside back in July. Definately a bug.

#5 11 years ago

I joined in 1973, so I'm still kinda new.

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

I joined in 1973, so I'm still kinda new.

I bet it was a 300 baud dialup bbs back then. How many Pinsiders even know what 300 baud is? LOL

#7 11 years ago

The 'UNIX Epoch' is Jan 1st, 1970. The way Unix/Linux computers store time is they count the seconds from this date. So if the forum was migrated from a different system, and that system didn't have a value for 'joined date', then the value would be empty/minimum value.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_time

#8 11 years ago

Guys, don't make fun of the veterans. They helped make Pinside what it is today!

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from Richthofen:

The 'UNIX Epoch' is Jan 1st, 1970. The way Unix/Linux computers store time is they count the seconds from this date. So if the forum was migrated from a different system, and that system didn't have a value for 'joined date', then the value would be empty/minimum value.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_time

It's not the way it stores time but rather calculates it. Using a GTOD function (get time of day) which seems trivial but is actually the most expensive Calculation wise of ANY system/kernel level call. The entire Linux "real time" kernel is dedicated to GTOD and it's normalization.

Robin the built in phptime function is horrid and slow. Install zend and use getTime() and getDate(). Much more efficient.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

It's not the way it stores time but rather calculates it. Using a GTOD function (get time of day) which seems trivial but is actually the most expensive Calculation wise of ANY system/kernel level call. The entire Linux "real time" kernel is dedicated to GTOD and it's normalization.

My guess is that the database is MySQL or PostgreSQL. Every account has a 'first joined date' value. I bet if you use PHP's date formatting functions (or as cast to PHP's DateTime object from a null value or empty DateTime MySQL colun), and pass NULL from an account that has no first joined date, it will give you the Epoch. Just conjecture, but since I've seen that behavior before I wouldn't be surprised.

#12 11 years ago

It was tough back then. Sending wax tablets around by donkey is no laughing matter.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from Richthofen:

My guess is that the database is MySQL or PostgreSQL. Every account has a 'first joined date' value. I bet if you use PHP's date formatting functions (or as cast to PHP's DateTime object from a null value or empty DateTime MySQL colun), and pass NULL from an account that has no first joined date, it will give you the Epoch. Just conjecture, but since I've seen that behavior before I wouldn't be surprised.

Are you a lamp developer? If so PM me. I need lamp consultants

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-member-since-1970 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.