pasted_image (resized).png
portion-white-mint-general-3_1 (resized).jpg
giphy f.gif
E909FFD0-F7D9-410C-B8D2-7DC7032248C2 (resized).png
39E25C0C-BA6C-45D3-B163-86B8392E78DB (resized).jpeg
49D20EE5-5E6A-4895-980F-E83E9F7C5B2C (resized).jpeg
Normal-Brain-Mri-ePzT (resized).jpg
fattie (resized).jpg
There are 305 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.
#251 4 years ago
Quoted from bssbllr:

Hello all , as some may know already I have been battling stage 4 colon cancer for the past 5 years. In 2014 had pain when I shit so went to er. They gave a ct-scan and said I had spots on my liver which was most likely cancer that had spread from colon. Next got a scope to get clogged up and get a colostomy bag. Not very fun when you are 40 and very active in all areas. I eventually ended up at Roswell in buffalo for the tumor removal in my colon and bag reversal.
The next surgery was the liver 65% removal and it was second because other surgery was in the way. All went well as far as we knew everything was cut out.
Well went back 1 year later to find out the cancer was back on my liver and lung. Not what the family wanted to hear.
So for the last 4 years just continuing to take chemo, cbd, marijuana and plant based diet. Lucky for me the cancer seems to be growing slow last pic of lungs and liver showed stable but my tumor marker numbers still continue to rise.
I have been positive through it all so my family isn’t affected as much by this whirlwind of life we have been delt.
I have been to Boston’s Dana Farber for a clinical trial because I have exhausted all chemo a radiation treatments which means I am out of options. My platelet count would not rise enough for the trial.
I feel like it’s the family I worry about not me. I have three kids 26,21and 19. I have been with my wife since she was 14 and we had our first kid when she was 16. We have defied most of the odds on staying together for over 25 years married. I also had to put all the financial affairs in order Titles ,loans and bills to make it easier for my wife.
CANCER SUCKS and the sad thing is , it is hard to tell your story because most have been delt with some kind of similar situation.

I dont know what to say.
Cancer is a terrible thing.

#252 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

I dont know what to say.
Cancer is a terrible thing.

Yes it is and affects so many people not just the person with cancer but family friends and coworkers. Not much you can say I just felt like venting a little. Thanks for reading.

#253 4 years ago
Quoted from bssbllr:

Hello all , as some may know already I have been battling stage 4 colon cancer for the past 5 years. In 2014 had pain when I shit so went to er. They gave a ct-scan and said I had spots on my liver which was most likely cancer that had spread from colon. Next got a scope to get clogged up and get a colostomy bag. Not very fun when you are 40 and very active in all areas. I eventually ended up at Roswell in buffalo for the tumor removal in my colon and bag reversal.
The next surgery was the liver 65% removal and it was second because other surgery was in the way. All went well as far as we knew everything was cut out.
Well went back 1 year later to find out the cancer was back on my liver and lung. Not what the family wanted to hear.
So for the last 4 years just continuing to take chemo, cbd, marijuana and plant based diet. Lucky for me the cancer seems to be growing slow last pic of lungs and liver showed stable but my tumor marker numbers still continue to rise.
I have been positive through it all so my family isn’t affected as much by this whirlwind of life we have been delt.
I have been to Boston’s Dana Farber for a clinical trial because I have exhausted all chemo a radiation treatments which means I am out of options. My platelet count would not rise enough for the trial.
I feel like it’s the family I worry about not me. I have three kids 26,21and 19. I have been with my wife since she was 14 and we had our first kid when she was 16. We have defied most of the odds on staying together for over 25 years married. I also had to put all the financial affairs in order Titles ,loans and bills to make it easier for my wife.
CANCER SUCKS and the sad thing is , it is hard to tell your story because most have been delt with some kind of similar situation.

Quoted from bssbllr:

Yes it is and affects so many people not just the person with cancer but family friends and coworkers. Not much you can say I just felt like venting a little. Thanks for reading.

Vent all you need to! I am sorry for all you have gone through to this point. Keep up your positive attitude and I will be praying for you as well!

Let me know if I can do anything to help you. Sounds like you are doing all the things you need to do (treatment plus diet). I think people really underestimate the power of clean eating.

We're here for moral support if you need it! It sucks to be going though this at any age, but especially as young as you are. I've had cancer as well, but not to the degree that you have had to endure. Keep fighting!

Chris

#254 4 years ago
Quoted from bssbllr:

Damn, 5 years?? You’re doing pretty damn well for someone in that position! More power to ya buddy, and I hope things start turning in your favor.

#255 4 years ago

Fuck cancer.

#256 4 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Vent all you need to! I am sorry for all you have gone through to this point. Keep up your positive attitude and I will be praying for you as well!
Let me know if I can do anything to help you. Sounds like you are doing all the things you need to do (treatment plus diet). I think people really underestimate the power of clean eating.
We're here for moral support if you need it! It sucks to be going though this at any age, but especially as young as you are. I've had cancer as well, but not to the degree that you have had to endure. Keep fighting!
Chris

Chris thanks for the prayers and the moral support much appreciated. Definitely going to stay positive and will continue to live my life. Sorry to hear you have had to deal with this in some type of degree and sounds like all is good and that’s great. I feel I have put in 100% so regardless of any outcome I will have a smile on my face. Plus I’m sure I will go out with a joke of some sorts anyways, just the type of guy I am.Lol

#257 4 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Damn, 5 years?? You’re doing pretty damn well for someone in that position! More power to ya buddy, and I hope things start turning in your favor.

Thanks bro and gonna keep rolling on.

Always said I got the good end of the shitty stick. Lol

And yep you hit the nail on the head with that one.

#258 4 years ago
Quoted from bssbllr:

And yep you hit the nail on the head with that one.

It's hard to find anyone who hasn't been impacted by cancer, like you mentioned it's not just the person going through it. Sounds like you have a great supportive family.

#259 4 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Sounds like you have a great supportive family.

Yes , thanks you, my 92 year old grandma always says that my family was one of the closest families she has ever seen.

#260 4 years ago

#GRAHAMSTRONG

#261 4 years ago
Quoted from bssbllr:

Really sorry to hear that, my prayers and thoughts are with you. My father was diagnosed with stage 4 colon 2 years ago, we switched him to a plant based diet (spinach, kale, fruit, berries, turmeric, etc) and it has helped. His CSA count is way down and his body is taking the Chemo very well. We all know it's going to get him, but he's pushing it back as far as he can. Needless to say, we all got our first GI scan shortly thereafter.

Keep fighting.

#262 4 years ago

Hang tough, thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

#263 4 years ago

I appreciate this thread is here, if for no other reason to rightfully trivialize the stuff I've been dealing with the last few months trying to get sinus surgery and a tonsillectomy. We recently did have a big scare, and my kid ended up in the ER a few days ago but now seems okay (probably was just dehydration. They couldn't find anything at all wrong with him other than some high enzymes they didn't treat.)....but yeah....

#264 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

My father was diagnosed with stage 4 colon 2 years ago, we switched him to a plant based diet (spinach, kale, fruit, berries, turmeric, etc) and it has helped. His CSA count is way down and his body is taking the Chemo very well. We all know it's going to get him, but he's pushing it back as far as he can

Yeah sorry to hear about your father and I know you know the reality of it. Sounds like he is a fighter tell him to keep it up. I have only been doing the diet for 2 months now but I am pleased and feel good and like your father tolerating the chemo. Thanks for the prayers and thoughts I will be doing the same for your dad.

#265 4 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Hang tough, thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

Thanks appreciate the words of encouragement.

#266 4 years ago
Quoted from bssbllr:

All my support friend. Hope should never be lost. In addition to medical treatments, healthy eating can help you a lot.

Right now I am trying intermittent fasting to treat my autoimmune problems derived from celiac disease, and they are helping me a lot.

From what I've read, cancer cells are sugar-eating, it's their food. Studies of people with cancer, who have practiced intermittent fasting, have greatly improved their condition, slowing the evolution of the disease.

#267 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

All my support friend. Hope should never be lost. In addition to medical treatments, healthy eating can help you a lot.
Right now I am trying intermittent fasting to treat my autoimmune problems derived from celiac disease, and they are helping me a lot.
From what I've read, cancer cells are sugar-eating, it's their food. Studies of people with cancer, who have practiced intermittent fasting, have greatly improved their condition, slowing the evolution of the disease.

Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment and appreciate the support. Yeah I have recently started the diet but glad I did and already see improvements. There was a time there I said screw it and ate and drank what I want like soda lots of fat foods. Not any more!

Sorry to hear about your celiacs disease as my wife too has been suffering from that for the past 20 years diagnosed the last 10. She too is enjoying our diet probably doesn’t have to watch me eat all that gluten and I know she feels better no more trips to the ER.

The vegan diet has shown in some studies that the growth hormone igf-1 is lowered due to the lack of animal protein which is for cell growth leading to less cancer cell production. I definitely need to try the fasting more. Thanks again my friend.

#268 4 years ago
Quoted from bssbllr:

I am Praying for you and your family.. I kind of know where you are at, I got all my affairs in order last year after being diagnosed with a brain tumor, I said good by to my family before going into surgery (such a lonely feeling) I thought I was was dead even if I survived having a lemon sized tumor removed from my brain, it’s been more than a year and I am still here.. don’t give up the fight, stay strong and most importantly don’t lose hope.. so sorry you are going thru this.

#269 4 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I am Praying for you and your family.. I kind of know where you are at, I got all my affairs in order last year after being diagnosed with a brain tumor, I said good by to my family before going into surgery (such a lonely feeling) I thought I was was dead even if I survived having a lemon sized tumor removed from my brain, it’s been more than a year and I am still here.. don’t give up the fight, stay strong and most importantly don’t lose hope.. so sorry you are going thru this.

Thanks for the prayers! Sounds like you and your family have as well been through some tough times and sorry to hear that. Glad to hear you are still here and I’m sure enjoying everyday a little more. I’m definitely gonna stay strong #GRAHAMSTRONG and be around as long as I can. Hope, never loose hope I wasn’t sure I would see my youngest graduate high school but I did and it was great. My oldest got married I was there for that. Hope is about all I got. Thanks again.

2 months later
#270 4 years ago

Found out last Tuesday that my brain tumor is growing back, I feel like this tumor wants me dead! Luckily I won’t have to have another craniotomy, I go in for radiation treatment next week. I’m gunna beat this thing again!

#271 4 years ago

Found out last Tuesday that my brain tumor is growing back, I feel like this tumor wants me dead! Luckily I won’t have to have another craniotomy, I go in for radiation treatment next week. I’m gunna beat this thing again!

Wow, that sucks, sorry to hear that. Is is benign and just enthusiastic, or malignant and invasive?

#272 4 years ago

Sorry to hear. Great attitude. Keep up the fight.

#273 4 years ago

You are one of my favorites here on Pinside and I expect you will beat it again. It aint much but I am one guy in Colorado keeping a good thought for you.

#274 4 years ago

Great attitude! Hang in there!

1 week later
#275 4 years ago

Thanks for the support guys! Pinside and all my friends here are a great distraction for me, as it helps keep me from thinkinging about my medical issues. I go in for radiation treatment Thursday, I’m nervous about the procedure, but I am ready. My hope is that all goes well and this brain tumor shrinks and then hopefully I can get off of the seizure medication, as it makes me feel terrible (and slows down my pinball reflexes)

#276 4 years ago

Today is the day, my brain surgeon and oncologist just reviewed my brain imaging and are finalizing my treatment plan, hopefully this finally kills this brain tumor once and for all. My oncologist tells me this radiation is very powerful. I will get the equivalent of 6 standard radiation treatments in one session. I’m not gunna lie the halo they have screwed into my skull really sucks!

I am thinking about pinball and reading the Rick and Morty thread to stay distracted as I wait to be taken back for the treatment. I feel very positive about this after 18 months of fighting I think I’m finally gunna beat this!

87E0495A-F56F-43DB-A7AB-2118B4C982AD (resized).jpeg87E0495A-F56F-43DB-A7AB-2118B4C982AD (resized).jpeg8628B54F-A185-4F89-9787-2A9B1E164289 (resized).jpeg8628B54F-A185-4F89-9787-2A9B1E164289 (resized).jpeg

#277 4 years ago

Stay positive, you’re an inspiration. You will beat this.

#278 4 years ago

Today is the day, my brain surgeon and oncologist just reviewed my brain imaging and are finalizing my treatment plan, hopefully this finally kills this brain tumor once and for all. My oncologist tells me this radiation is very powerful. I will get the equivalent of 6 standard radiation treatments in one session. I’m not gunna lie the halo they have screwed into my skull really sucks!
I am thinking about pinball and reading the Rick and Morty thread to stay distracted as I wait to be taken back for the treatment. I feel very positive about this after 18 months of fighting I think I’m finally gunna beat this!

[quoted image][quoted image]

Good luck. You're my favorite martian in that halo.

Will the radiation whallop make you tired or mess you up for a while, or is it just over when it's over?

#279 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Good luck. You're my favorite martian.
Will the radiation whallop make you tired or mess you up for a while, or is it just over when it's over.

There is chance of brain swelling and seizure after the treatment. My neurosurgeon just came in and told me that the tumor is very close to a “sensory area” in my brain (not really sure what that means) but he says that it makes the procedure more complicated as it could cause some issues like my face could become permanently numb.. pretty freaky! he says they have to keep the margins very tight around the tumor. On a lighter note I may have some permanent hair loss.

#280 4 years ago

There is chance of brain swelling and seizure after the treatment. My neurosurgeon just came in and told me that the tumor is very close to a “sensory area” in my brain (not really sure what that means) but he says that it makes the procedure more complicated as it could cause some issues like my face could become permanently numb.. pretty freaky! he says they have to keep the margins very tight around the tumor. On a lighter note I may have some permanent hair loss.

Wow, much more hardcore than I expected. I know that for cancer treatments they have those chill caps that keep your head cold, which preserves hair follicles to prevent hair loss, but probably impossible given that this procedure is ON your head.

Hang in there!

#281 4 years ago

You and I have never met but I have a ton of energy invested into your well being right now. Carry on soldier.

#282 4 years ago

guess i wont be dancing this NYE

or

i will be legless for NYE

FB_IMG_1576877039011 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1576877039011 (resized).jpg
#283 4 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

or
i will be legless for NYE[quoted image]

Okay, that's it. I'm getting a flu shot this year.

What HAPPENED? Accident? Diabetes? Yikes.

#284 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Okay, that's it. I'm getting a flu shot this year.
What HAPPENED? Accident? Diabetes? Yikes.

it started with undianosed diabeties, and two years lateri have my leg amputated below the knee

guess i am not in the market for a 'Pole Position'

#285 4 years ago

it started with undianosed diabeties, and two years lateri have my leg amputated below the knee
guess i am not in the market for a 'Pole Position'

Yikes. Type 1 or Type 2?

#286 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yikes. Type 1 or Type 2?

type 2, you could say i have one foot in the grave

#287 4 years ago

Well your positive attitude will carry you far. Hang in there a lot of other people have it worse. Thanks for sharing.

#288 4 years ago

I hope you do ok.

I was hospitalized three months last year and over christmas.

Hang in there.

#289 4 years ago

Growing up my grandfather had barely any fingers and toes which led into both legs being amputated due to wwii bomber plane pilot and getting frost bite. He was 80 and would still put in both his prosthetics and grab his walker hop in his Cadillac that was fabricated to suit him brake and gas pedals up by the steering wheel. He would head to the Elks club and have his favorite cocktail and socialize with his pals. He was an influence. Positive thoughts my man.

#290 4 years ago

or
i will be legless for NYE[quoted image]

Sorry you are dealing with this! Try and stay positive and think about all the blessings in your life when you are feeling down.

#291 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

I hope you do ok.
I was hospitalized three months last year and over christmas.
Hang in there.

Thank you and I hope you are doing better now. I had radiation treatment 2 days ago, the after affects of the radiation are not as bad as my last brain surgery. I am getting some huge headaches, I have a burnt smell in my nose and I can’t feel the top of my head (it’s numb), besides that I’m doing good. So far I have had no seizures.. I still have feeling in my face which is a big relief as my Dr said that I may permanently lose feeling in my face after the treatment as my tumors were close to a sensory area of my brain. Now I am waiting for a big patch of my hair to fall out. The good news is that I am still thinking about pinball, so the take away is that not even radiation can get pinball out of my brain.

Quoted from Mr68:

You are one of my favorites here on Pinside and I expect you will beat it again. It aint much but I am one guy in Colorado keeping a good thought for you.

Quoted from Mr68:

You and I have never met but I have a ton of energy invested into your well being right now. Carry on soldier.

Thank you Kim! You have always been a voice of reason on Pinside for me and you have had my back through this JPOP fiasco which has given me stress over the last 2 years that I didn’t need, so thank you for that as well!

#292 4 years ago

Best of luck guys. Stay positive and lean on whatever support structure you have to make things easier. Be it, family, friends, religion, etc and stay strong. All suffering is temporary.

#293 4 years ago

Well my daughter who is 22 comes down stairs to say she is headed to her aunties. I say always on the go. Next thing you know the phone rings and it’s my sister in law telling me she has to take my daughter to the ER she has broken her wrist got it pinned in between two cars. and looks like an “S”. So Merry Christmas to all and all day in the ER for us. But we be strong. #GRAHAMSTRONG.

#294 4 years ago

At least your name is not Eileen.

Sorry, I'll see myself out. Hope you can adapt quickly to the change.

Chris

#295 4 years ago

[quoted image][quoted image]

Been thinking about you and this thread. How are you doing?

Chris

#296 4 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Been thinking about you and this thread. How are you doing?
Chris

Hi Chris,
I am getting a little better everyday, the swelling in my head and face are nearly gone which is a huge relief! I still have no feeling on the top of my head after the radiation treatment, they told me I may lose feeling in my face before my treatment so if I only lose feeling in my scalp I feel very lucky! Mostly what I am dealing with now is constant very intense headaches, I am starting new medication today to try to get them under control. I go back in 10 weeks for an MRI to see if the brain tumor has hopefully gotten smaller, if it has grown more I will have another round of radiation...

Incase anyone is wondering, having a halo screwed into your skull for 14 hours sucks.. bad! (See pic) I wish I could of been asleep for the radiation procedure as it was a bad experience for me and I hope to never have to go thru it again.

The gift in all of this for me is that I take nothing for granted anymore, I am present in every moment with my family and friends. Everything is different for me now, when I watch a sunset or hear my daughter laugh.. it’s hard to explain, it’s beautiful!

F3BFD0DA-6423-40AA-ABAB-46DE2C3608A3 (resized).jpegF3BFD0DA-6423-40AA-ABAB-46DE2C3608A3 (resized).jpeg
#297 4 years ago

Hi Chris,
I am getting a little better everyday, the swelling in my head and face are nearly gone which is a huge relief! I still have no feeling on the top of my head after the radiation treatment, they told me I may lose feeling in my face before my treatment so if I only lose feeling in my scalp I feel very lucky! Mostly what I am dealing with now is constant very intense headaches, I am starting new medication today to try to get them under control. I go back in 10 weeks for an MRI to see if the brain tumor has hopefully gotten smaller, if it has grown more I will have another round of radiation...
Incase anyone is wondering, having a halo screwed into your skull for 14 hours sucks.. bad! (See pic) I wish I could of been asleep for the radiation procedure as it was a bad experience for me and I hope to never have to go thru it again.
The gift in all of this for me is that I take nothing for granted anymore, I am present in every moment with my family and friends. Everything is different for me now, when I watch a sunset or hear my daughter laugh.. it’s hard to explain, it’s beautiful![quoted image]

Keep being positive! It goes a long way.

#298 4 years ago

If any of you guys or girls snore like a moose, for the ones you love please see if you would benefit from a CPAP machine. It can be a life saver and life changer! Clear headed life is a heck of a lot more fun than cloudy, bitchy, short-tempered and confused.

#299 4 years ago
Quoted from MD_Pinball_Dude:

If any of you guys or girls snore like a moose, for the ones you love please see if you would benefit from a CPAP machine. It can be a life saver and life changer! Clear headed life is a heck of a lot more fun than cloudy, bitchy, short-tempered and confused.

I got a CPAP and I’m only in my late thirties. It helps my AFib and gives me a better night sleep in general. Once you get used to the device, it’s hard to fall asleep without it. The only problem is that it takes awhile to get used to the device.

#300 4 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

I got a CPAP and I’m only in my late thirties. It helps my AFib and gives me a better night sleep in general. Once you get used to the device, it’s hard to fall asleep without it. The only problem is that it takes awhile to get used to the device.

I used to SCUBA dive as a teen so I never had an issue with getting comfortable with it.

There are 305 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-medical-support-thread/page/6?hl=md_pinball_dude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.