Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by JayDee
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Why do so many seller's ads blame the "have to sell" on their wives?”

• The wife is an easy scapegoat on a site consisting mostly of men 40 votes
      43%
    • Some men have no shame 9 votes
      10%
    • I'm not married but will start using that excuse as well 11 votes
      12%
    • She wears the pants in the family 32 votes
      35%

(92 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    giphy.gif
    KubotaGR2120-IIHeroPrint3 (resized).jpg
    814c2f7b9985af8482ae93b6bc46b087c5d53403 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Ever notice when somebody is posting a for sale ad for a game, the seller often tries to sugarcoat the listing by including some kind of excuse for doing so? And in many cases these excuses seem hardly legit or believable?

Instead of the honest approach-

"I'm sick and tired of playing and looking at this game. Priced to sell. Make it gone"

or

"My basement is flooded, I need to sell all my games to pay for repairs"

You get excuses like

" We are adding a bathroom to our 20,000 square ft mansion, and need the money to pay for that"

or

" I hate to sell it, but need the money for a down payment on my new Ferrari "

or even

" The wifey is long overdue for her next liposuction, so my grail game has to go to pay for it"

Yes, the marketplace is flooded with excuses why it is time to let their prized pinball machines go. This thread is a place to link those excuses, funny or not, as they hit the marketplace.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Ok if the only reason you need to sell is because you are out of room but you are willing to take trades?????

Classic example here-

In one ad-

Quoted from sparechange1974:

I'm downsizing some of my collection as they are starting to grow into the living room.

In another ad-

" Making room for two new arrivals-Pins are flowing into the living room, time to thin the herd."

#8 5 years ago

Here's a more subtle approach-

Quoted from Coz:

was going to put this on location, but plans have changed.

#9 5 years ago

The all out "help me out, bro, it'll be a win for us both" approach

Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Moving to a new house and mama wants a back patio. Pinball liquidation. I'll rebuild my collection later. Check out my other listings.

Really hate to sell this one.

#11 5 years ago

I have added a poll to this topic.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

What are you trying to say here? Is your problem with lame excuses? Or wives? Or wives as excuses? Lots to unpack here Odin.

What I'm trying to say is this is the last Saturday or full weeks I will be working in a long time as soon as the boss gets back from his month long excursion in Greece, so enjoy whatever yucks this overworked peasant can provide in the next few hours.

#21 5 years ago

That's why married women tend to outlive their husbands.

Quoted from iceman44:

Lol Odiner! I thought you retired? Wtf

I figured out retiring fully may not be the healthiest thing as it would probably lead to a downward spiral of drinking and debauchery from which there would be no return.

Then the boss laid this month long Greece thing on me.

Man, going to bed sober almost every night and jumping out of bed a half hour before the alarm goes off has been kind of refreshing.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

My wife DOES impact my purchasing decisions, this is normal in a marriage and not an excuse.

Somebody should have told that to my dad who bought his cabin cruiser anyway. lol. Or maybe not.

So you had to get the OK from your wife to get a new lawnmower or put a shed up in your back yard?

"Please dear, can't you see the grass is getting out of hand? Will it be OK to buy a new lawnmower if I sell one of my prized pinball machines?"

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from jkleinnd:

.... some lawnmower!

Yeah, but it was probably worth it.

KubotaGR2120-IIHeroPrint3 (resized).jpgKubotaGR2120-IIHeroPrint3 (resized).jpg
    #33 5 years ago
    Quoted from Elevatorman:

I'm getting to list 2 Black Holes because I just can't get into working on these older Gottlieb machines.
    Not sure if that's an excuse but it will be a good price for 2 of them

That's one of the most reasonable excuses I've heard all day.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Not when you are buying a car.

Let me tell you why I'm buying a Tesla. And don't say anything bad about it or you will get the Chuck treatment.

giphy.gifgiphy.gif
    #45 5 years ago

That's when you give them the slick response "why are you buying?"

#50 5 years ago

I always thought there might be some parallel universe somewhere where Levi and I agreed on something.

And there you have it!

#52 5 years ago

"The wife said if I don't start getting rid of all these games that are gathering dust, she is going to leave me. I sure am going to miss her"

#54 5 years ago

Perhaps buyers should be offering up excuses why they are buying games instead of why they aren't.

11 months later
    #56 4 years ago

The internet is full of excuses for why people won't sell something.

Pinside might be one of the only places where it's the other way around.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-marketplace-excuses?tu=o-din and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.