Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by JayDee
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Why do so many seller's ads blame the "have to sell" on their wives?”

• The wife is an easy scapegoat on a site consisting mostly of men 40 votes
      43%
    • Some men have no shame 9 votes
      10%
    • I'm not married but will start using that excuse as well 11 votes
      12%
    • She wears the pants in the family 32 votes
      35%

(92 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    giphy.gif
    KubotaGR2120-IIHeroPrint3 (resized).jpg
    814c2f7b9985af8482ae93b6bc46b087c5d53403 (resized).jpg
    There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

Ever notice when somebody is posting a for sale ad for a game, the seller often tries to sugarcoat the listing by including some kind of excuse for doing so? And in many cases these excuses seem hardly legit or believable?

Instead of the honest approach-

"I'm sick and tired of playing and looking at this game. Priced to sell. Make it gone"

or

"My basement is flooded, I need to sell all my games to pay for repairs"

You get excuses like

" We are adding a bathroom to our 20,000 square ft mansion, and need the money to pay for that"

or

" I hate to sell it, but need the money for a down payment on my new Ferrari "

or even

" The wifey is long overdue for her next liposuction, so my grail game has to go to pay for it"

Yes, the marketplace is flooded with excuses why it is time to let their prized pinball machines go. This thread is a place to link those excuses, funny or not, as they hit the marketplace.

#2 5 years ago

I agree. People should say..:

“This game sucks, I should have never bought it”

Or

“I overpaid so I’m overcharging for this piece”

#3 5 years ago

“My wife caught me banging the babysitter on it and now she wants it gone!”

#4 5 years ago

"Need to sell this game because I'm a racist bastard."

#5 5 years ago

What erks me is a long elaborate story why you don't want to sell it , but have to let it go reluctantly , and is willing to do someone a favor by letting you buy his machine. Just give me the price, post pics and save me the sob story. Gimmee a break.

#6 5 years ago

Here is my favorite:

Need room in the garage so my wife can park. So it has to go. """"""""Trades considered"""""""

Ok if the only reason you need to sell is because you are out of room but you are willing to take trades?????

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Ok if the only reason you need to sell is because you are out of room but you are willing to take trades?????

Classic example here-

In one ad-

Quoted from sparechange1974:

I'm downsizing some of my collection as they are starting to grow into the living room.

In another ad-

" Making room for two new arrivals-Pins are flowing into the living room, time to thin the herd."

#8 5 years ago

Here's a more subtle approach-

Quoted from Coz:

was going to put this on location, but plans have changed.

#9 5 years ago

The all out "help me out, bro, it'll be a win for us both" approach

Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Moving to a new house and mama wants a back patio. Pinball liquidation. I'll rebuild my collection later. Check out my other listings.

Really hate to sell this one.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Ever notice when somebody is posting a for sale ad for a game, the seller often tries to sugarcoat the listing by including some kind of excuse for doing so? And in many cases these excuses seem hardly legit or believable?
    Instead of the honest approach-
    "I'm sick and tired of playing and looking at this game. Priced to sell. Make it gone"
    or
    "My basement is flooded, I need to sell all my games to pay for repairs"
    You get excuses like
    " We are adding a bathroom to our 20,000 square ft mansion, and need the money to pay for that"
    or
    " I hate to sell it, but need the money for a down payment on my new Ferrari "
    or even
    " The wifey is long overdue for her next liposuction, so my grail game has to go to pay for it"
    Yes, the marketplace is flooded with excuses why it is time to let their prized pinball machines go. This thread is a place to link those excuses, funny or not, as they hit the marketplace.

It is amazing how creative some can be when they are trying to make a sow's ear sound like it is a silk purse. Spare me the soliloquy. Get real on your price and tell me what you are selling. If I want to know why, i'll ask.

#11 5 years ago

I have added a poll to this topic.

#12 5 years ago

"I'm only selling to fund my cataract surgery. The surgeon said I've had massive UV light exposure"

"Please no lowball offers, I have over $500 dollars invested in LEDs alone."
    814c2f7b9985af8482ae93b6bc46b087c5d53403 (resized).jpg814c2f7b9985af8482ae93b6bc46b087c5d53403 (resized).jpg

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Here is my favorite:
    Need room int he garage so my wife can park. So it has to go. """"""""Trades considered"""""""

Maybe "trades" refers to the wife and not the machine?

#14 5 years ago

Make fun of sellers all you want but excuses from potential buyers are typically even crazier and most involve their wife or girlfriend. After 10 years in the hobby I think I have heard them all but once in a while someone surprises me.

Now for the selling end - "To be very honest I am just sick of moving these stupid machines around so they have to go"! That should be mine but I have never used it yet. On the average I think I move about a machine a day 365 days a year. Sometimes I go a month without moving one and other times I'll move 30 in an afternoon. I am just getting to darn old for this shit!

Last week I moved 24 machines from one trailer to another trailer just to make them easier to access this Winter. Do that count as moving 24 or 48 machines because I had to move each twice?

#15 5 years ago

Moving pinball machines around is your hobby?

#16 5 years ago

What are you trying to say here? Is your problem with lame excuses? Or wives? Or wives as excuses? Lots to unpack here Odin.

Personally, my wife impacts my purchasing decisions. She’s been a stay at home mom for 17 years and that necessitated certain choices and economic decisions. I get a little bent sometimes when she voices an objection to me buying a new game without selling one first, but in truth, she’s usually right. Bottom line, when I really want something, or go so far as to insist, she’s been supportive. We’re a good team, and we’ve structured our lives economically in a way that works out pretty good.

I usually laugh when some dude tells another guy to “grow a pair” and “reclaim your man card” whenever some guy admits that his wife has sway in his economic decisions. Sometimes I think the macho guy is being a dick, but sometimes I think their just clueless, and I feel sorry for them because they don’t understand the economic dynamic a partner brings to life’s many choices.

Anyway, to each his/her own. Buy games the way you want and can! And don’t be douchey!

#17 5 years ago

Actual Sales pitch from the last pin I sold on here. My Jungle Lord.

Item description

Jungle Lord. It play. Not all work though. You buy. Pay cash!!!!

Edit: Forgot to mention. It sold to a pinsider.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

What are you trying to say here? Is your problem with lame excuses? Or wives? Or wives as excuses? Lots to unpack here Odin.

What I'm trying to say is this is the last Saturday or full weeks I will be working in a long time as soon as the boss gets back from his month long excursion in Greece, so enjoy whatever yucks this overworked peasant can provide in the next few hours.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

What I'm trying to say is this is the last Saturday or full weeks I will be working in a long time as soon as the boss gets back from his month long excursion in Greece, so enjoy what yucks this overworked peasant can provide in the next few hours.

Lol Odiner! I thought you retired? Wtf

#20 5 years ago

I usually laugh when some dude tells another guy to “grow a pair” and “reclaim your man card” whenever some guy admits that his wife has sway in his economic decisions. Sometimes I think the macho guy is being a dick, but sometimes I think their just clueless, and I feel sorry for them because they don’t understand the economic dynamic a partner brings to life’s many choices.

That's why married men live longer.

Their wives keep them from just impulse buying more crap they don't need.

Husband: Honey, I'm going to buy a Popeye game, it's like 30 minutes away.
    Wife: For what? You have 10 games right now and 8 of them you never play.
    H: I play them all the time!
    W: Really? I unplugged the power strip from that whole row two months ago to vacuum, and it's still unplugged.
    H: I've been busy. Hey, when people come over....
    W: Twice a year? We are maintaining a whole basement full of games for people to come over twice a year?
    H: Well.....I'm sure you are actually right.....I just never owned a Popeye...
    W: We've been married 20 years and I've never once heard you say you had a passion for Popeye.
    H: Alright, let me call the guy back.

#21 5 years ago

That's why married women tend to outlive their husbands.

Quoted from iceman44:

Lol Odiner! I thought you retired? Wtf

I figured out retiring fully may not be the healthiest thing as it would probably lead to a downward spiral of drinking and debauchery from which there would be no return.

Then the boss laid this month long Greece thing on me.

Man, going to bed sober almost every night and jumping out of bed a half hour before the alarm goes off has been kind of refreshing.

#22 5 years ago

My wife DOES impact my purchasing decisions, this is normal in a marriage and not an excuse.

I should my stargate to fund a new large shed in the backyard.

Sold my STTNG to help fund a new lawn mower.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

My wife DOES impact my purchasing decisions, this is normal in a marriage and not an excuse.

Somebody should have told that to my dad who bought his cabin cruiser anyway. lol. Or maybe not.

So you had to get the OK from your wife to get a new lawnmower or put a shed up in your back yard?

"Please dear, can't you see the grass is getting out of hand? Will it be OK to buy a new lawnmower if I sell one of my prized pinball machines?"

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

That's why married women tend to outlive their husbands.

I figured out retiring fully may not be the healthiest thing as it would probably lead to a downward spiral of drinking and debauchery from which there would be no return.
    Then the boss laid this month long Greece thing on me.
    Man, going to bed sober almost every night and jumping out of bed a half hour before the alarm goes off has been kind of refreshing.

I hear ya man. Need some kind of boring and structure in our lives

It makes the debauchery feel even better

#25 5 years ago

You mean like me?

Quoted from NPO:

The fuck....?
    Dude, if your woman really is the reason you as a grown ass fucking man cannot buy a game, you need to re-claim your mancard and your ballsack.
    Good gosh almighty.
    *not directed at you, Herb*

You could have just said my name if you wanted to get my attention.

#26 5 years ago

.... some lawnmower!

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from jkleinnd:

.... some lawnmower!

Yeah, but it was probably worth it.

KubotaGR2120-IIHeroPrint3 (resized).jpgKubotaGR2120-IIHeroPrint3 (resized).jpg
    #28 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

That's why married men live longer.
    Their wives keep them from just impulse buying more crap they don't need.
    Husband: Honey, I'm going to buy a Popeye game, it's like 30 minutes away.
    Wife: For what? You have 10 games right now and 8 of them you never play.
    H: I play them all the time!
    W: Really? I unplugged the power strip from that whole row two months ago to vacuum, and it's still unplugged.
    H: I've been busy. Hey, when people come over....
    W: Twice a year? We are maintaining a whole basement full of games for people to come over twice a year?
    H: Well.....I'm sure you are actually right.....I just never owned a Popeye...
    W: We've been married 20 years and I've never once heard you say you had a passion for Popeye.
    H: Alright, let me call the guy back.

Lol! Exactly!

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

You mean like me?

You could have just said my name if you wanted to get my attention.

Yeah, uh-huh. Whatever works for you Tarzan.

Ever wonder what your wife does without your knowledge or approval? Probably doesn't have to do with $$.

No free lunches. It all gets evened out in the big picture. You just keep on flashing that man card and carrying your balls in a wheelbarrow. I’m sure your wife is getting hers.

#30 5 years ago

I'm getting to list 2 Black Holes because I just can't get into working on these older Gottlieb machines.
    Not sure if that's an excuse but it will be a good price for 2 of them

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I should my stargate to fund a new large shed in the backyard.
    Sold my STTNG to help fund a new lawn mower.

Life's a bitch ?

#32 5 years ago

I come from the camp that its none of your business why i am selling my stuff and none of my business why you are selling your stuff. Completely irrelevant.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from Elevatorman:

I'm getting to list 2 Black Holes because I just can't get into working on these older Gottlieb machines.
    Not sure if that's an excuse but it will be a good price for 2 of them

That's one of the most reasonable excuses I've heard all day.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

I come from the camp that its none of your business why i am selling my stuff and none of my business why you are selling your stuff. Completely irrelevant.

Not when you are buying a car.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Not when you are buying a car.

Let me tell you why I'm buying a Tesla. And don't say anything bad about it or you will get the Chuck treatment.

giphy.gifgiphy.gif
    #36 5 years ago

Yeah, uh-huh. Whatever works for you Tarzan.
    Ever wonder what your wife does without your knowledge or approval? Probably doesn't have to do with $$.
    No free lunches. It all gets evened out in the big picture. You just keep on flashing that man card and carrying your balls in a wheelbarrow. I’m sure your wife is getting hers.

And don’t be douchey!

So............ you tell people not to be douchey, but then you imply that my future wife does things behind my back at the detriment of our relationship?

And tell me "I'm sure she is getting hers" ....?

What an arrogant jerk you are. I caught your ass referring to me, and call you out, and then you go on the attack on me?

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

And tell me "I'm sure she is getting hers" ....?

I’m confused as well...shoes, handbags, rendezvous with the Gardener?

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from boustrophedonic:

Maybe "trades" refers to the wife and not the machine?

Upgrade to a newer one ( wife) ??? But New ones are always way more money. Best to stick with your old one.

At least you might have an idea what issues might need to be addressed - even if better parts aren't available or there are mysterious circuitry problems the that can't be solved. You at least know what you have. Or think you do anyway.

I don't think trades of that nature would work well. Always better to sell outright.

#39 5 years ago

Here's a good one from a facebook posting.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #40 5 years ago

I wouldn't buy items that required my wife's approval.

If things are that tight, where we need to sit down and have a big pow wow over a pinball machine, I probably shouldn't be considering the purchase in the first place.

#41 5 years ago

How about the truth? Personally i have to many pins, want to sell several to finance a Munsters Prem and a JJP.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

How about the truth? Personally i have to many pins, want to sell several to finance a Munsters Prem and a JJP.

I am in the same boat - I have "too-many-pins" but I don't want to sell them to buy another pin I just want to sell some to save some storage rent. He who dies with the most toys might win but he who dies paying the most storage rent wasn't a very smart guy!

#43 5 years ago

Nobody really cares why you are selling, just post good pics and detailed info about the game....put specifics like, willing to ship, or taking to expo...

No one cares if it’s from a trade deal, because wife needs a patio, or if you are out of room, If you need to buy a car, etc. it’s irrelevant.....you can put it in there if it makes you happy, but nobody cares, because it has nothing to do with the game or it’s sale.

#44 5 years ago

On the other side of this coin, when I’ve sold and just stated price with a detailed description and pics, I’ve been asked “why are you selling.”

#45 5 years ago

That's when you give them the slick response "why are you buying?"

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from Orko:

“why are you selling.”

I think when people ask “why are you selling?” They mean information pertaining to the game, like has it been problematic? Are you selling this game for a reason that makes me not want it? They might also be fishing for “need the money” so they can get a deal.

They aren’t looking for 10 minutes on my wife leaving me, or my sick sister.

#47 5 years ago

Pinball liquidation.

This asking price is not much more than what I paid for the pin

This is the best part, I'm liquidating my pins for more then I paid for it.

#48 5 years ago

hoping to see this one soon. "Selling pins.... need bail money. Judge doesn't believe I'm not a flight risk due to large collection."

#49 5 years ago

The used car tactics were never really a thing before pinside.

I’m in the don’t want to hear your story camp. If a game is for sale, I don’t care that your wife doesn’t like it, or you REALLY love the game but need money for a water heater, or your “grail game” just became available...

Not sure why anybody thinks that makes their stuff more attractive. But everybody does it so I’m wondering if it works. There are plenty of weak-minded people who might not pull the trigger on a game they aren’t convinced the previous owner “really loves” but is only selling because of some outrageous circumstance?

#50 5 years ago

I always thought there might be some parallel universe somewhere where Levi and I agreed on something.

And there you have it!

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-marketplace-excuses and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.