(Topic ID: 232901)

Pinside Marketplace: Can we add Dealer/Distributor v.s Private seller?

By pinmister

4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Methos
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 months ago

Hey all I tried to find a topic about this but looks like it does not exist.

Are you tired of seeing dealers/distributors spam the marketplace? I know I am. I would like to see an option added under search options. Is it possible to add Dealer/Distributor vs. Private seller in search criteria? Craigslist does it and it helps lessen the spam from dealers. I have no interest in viewing ads from dealers/distributors and would appreciate it if we had an option to click on for allowing only private party ads. Any suggestions?

#2 4 months ago

I was just thinking this after seeing the Marketplace this morning. I wonder if the easier way would be if you blocked the user, not only would you block their posts but their marketplace ads?

You would think with a success rate of 33/400 there wouldn't be THAT much interest in posting here....Hmmmm

#3 4 months ago

This has been discussed before. The dealers whos ads you don't want to see, pay a premium for advertising on this site, which in turn helps keep it running and free. While many pinsiders do donate, not all do, and not all donations cover the costs of running the site.

#4 4 months ago

I agree, maybe send Robin a message about it. I do not know but do the dealers/distributors pay for the advertising in the market place? Or do they only pay
    a fee if one is sold?

#5 4 months ago
    Quoted from Wmsfan:

This has been discussed before. The dealers whos ads you don't want to see, pay a premium for advertising on this site, which in turn helps keep it running and free. While many pinsiders do donate, not all do, and not all donations cover the costs of running the site.

Well I guess we were typing/posting at the same time, thanks for clarifying

#6 4 months ago
    Quoted from Wmsfan:

The dealers whos ads you don't want to see, pay a premium for advertising on this site

I have no problem with Dealers/Distributors paying a fee to advertise. They can have a banner or whatever at top of page. What upsets me is when I see a dealer post 30 machines at once. This is simply spamming the marketplace. We as Pinsiders should have the option to turn off or on. Let them advertise on banners but not spam the marketplace listing area-imo.

#7 4 months ago

I kinda see it from both sides. I don’t like seeing constant ads from a dealer I’ll never buy from, but also understand the business side of things. Pinside runs off of these sales ads and donations. If we don’t like ads, or they don’t apply to us, just scroll on by. Who knows, maybe you’ll see a game you’ve been searching for.

#8 4 months ago

This was brought up in the Chicago for sale thread. We were promptly lectured by a distributor about how much money they give to Pinside and how they keep the lights on here for us and blah, blah, blah.

I personally don't buy it and would love a feature that you guys are suggesting.

#9 4 months ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

I have no problem with Dealers/Distributors paying a fee to advertise. They can have a banner or whatever at top of page. What upsets me is when I see a dealer post 30 machines at once. This is simply spamming the marketplace. We as Pinsiders should have the option to turn off or on. Let them advertise on banners but not spam the marketplace listing area-imo.

Can you place them on ignore and fix the issue?

#10 4 months ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I do not believe in the ignore feature, and do not use it. I want to hear everyone's opinions-even if I agree to disagree. Certain distributors actually have valuable information when posting on forum topics. I do not see this as a viable option. I really would like to see an additional search criteria added. It would allow Dealers/Distributors to continue to try and sell to noobies and it would allow me to ignore them. Win Win

#11 4 months ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

No

Quoted from pinmister:

I really would like to see an additional search criteria added. It would allow Dealers/Distributors to continue to try and sell to noobies and it would allow me to ignore them. Win Win

Yes

#12 4 months ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

I do not believe in the ignore feature, and do not use it. I want to hear everyone's opinions-even if I agree to disagree. Certain distributors actually have valuable information when posting on forum topics. I do not see this as a viable option. I really would like to see an additional search criteria added. It would allow Dealers/Distributors to continue to try and sell to noobies and it would allow me to ignore them. Win Win

Fair. But at the same time they paid good money for you to see their ads. Haha

#13 4 months ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Fair. But at the same time they paid good money for you to see their ads

I believe they pay money for ads that appear on top page or side margins, has nothing to do with marketplace ads?

#14 4 months ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

I believe they pay money for ads that appear on top page or side margins, has nothing to do with marketplace ads?

Yeah not sure there.

#15 4 months ago

I see both sides of this discussion. The monies they pay to advertise gets them an ad spot at the top, but also goes to help cover operational costs.

I can just skip thru the ads, its not that hard. The amount of time spent on this thread, is more then the time it would take to pass over the ads you don't wish to read.

#16 4 months ago
    Quoted from Wmsfan:

I can just skip thru the ads, its not that hard. The amount of time spent on this thread, is more then the time it would take to pass over the ads you don't wish to read.

Yes it is not that hard-just flippin annoying!

We have an option for Ebay vs. Pinside ads, so why not Dealers/Disributors vs. Private Party. Not rocket science here

#17 4 months ago

"Collector Quality Pinball machine"
    "Pulled from a home where it spent its entire life in a basement"
    "Game is rare find"
    "Hard pressed to find a nicer playfield and cabinet"
    "All Original"
    "Plays like new"

BINGO card completed in a single dealer ad. I guess it is a necessary evil. Coz said it best, just scroll on by.

#18 4 months ago
    Quoted from xfassa:

Coz said it best, just scroll on by.

I am not the type of person to just let things go, it annoys me and so I am going to say something. I am sure I am not the only one who is annoyed by it. Would love to hear any reasons of why we should not add an additional search option. Like I said Craigslist uses it, and it does help filter the junk you don't want to see.

#19 4 months ago

How about the ability to drain ads ? The overpriced, all in caps ads posted by sellers who have hundreds of supposedly unsold games really get annoying.

#20 4 months ago

My only ask is that they should not be allowed to list it twice, to get it up on the for sale list.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 149.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 46.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 26.95
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 36.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    MONSTERFISH MODS
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 189.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside