Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 339 posts
  • 95 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

mccoy2.jpg
    alien_predator016.gif
    cavender_s.jpg
    chocolate-covered-bacon.jpg
    2982735249_e8da3a16e5_o.jpg
    th-2.jpeg
    559229_3294213327603_1838136708_n.jpg
    th-11.jpeg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    th-9.jpeg
    Malt_machine.jpg
    Vanillla_Malt_Shake.JPG
    redson.jpg
    th.jpeg
    th_5-Star.jpg
    There are 339 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.
    #301 10 years ago

I say ditch the Karma points system entirely. It really doesn't help anything. You can be the nicest guy with 3 karma, or the biggest prick on the forums with 100K karma. Post a picture of a scantily clad woman for cheap karma points. What's the point? Also, it would clutter up a mobile version of the site.

Ditching the karma system would also prevent people from making sock puppet accounts to up/downvote.

Keep the thumbs up & down tho. It's easier than posting "i agree" after quoting a super-long post.

If karma is to be kept, have it for anything except the forums. Post an honest rating on a game? Karma++ for that.

#302 10 years ago

I'm still having a hard time believing that:

1) people actually fish for karma points, as if it's a game.

and

2) people actually care that they do, if that is what they're actually doing.

#303 10 years ago

I admit to having read some of this thread, some of the ideas, and to being a relative newbie here with a little over a year under my belt. That said, maybe someone has mentioned this and I missed it among the drool over cheeseburgers or whatever... so if this or similar has been mentioned, put me in line to UP VOTE that prior post.

Three things-

The reason I started even using this site was to LEARN from others who knew something I did not-
    Maybe its me...

But- if thats a core reason for this site to exist, to SHARE knowledge and PROMOTE pinball.

1) WE NEED a way to promote THAT interaction-

Do we need to reward a post about high scores? How about clarifying rules? How about me posting pics of my new baby (err... pinball machine), How about what I think about WOZ (although I have never played one)... etc. I think a simple POST counter would take care of that. SAVE Karma, or religiosity, or holiness (I like that one) or whatever you want as a system that is UP VOTED by users.

How can you do This without getting idiots up voting each other in some strange narcissistic group hug so they look cool?

2) How about implementing a SOLVED or UP VOTE system where the OP can mark a question SOLVED by labeling a response post as solving the question. Then, for posts where there is no question, and were just talking about how Bad/Great some game is, or what you ate for breakfast, no points, no harm, no foul.

The programming sites use this extensively and to VERY good effect. Yeah, your going to get people who sit there all day and answer questions and solve problems and *hog* all the Karma- but that only works if you actually HELPED someone.

3) Where do you draw the line? Who the heck knows. Maybe every post gets a further category, maybe you ask people to decide if this post is a question and then the UP VOTE/Solved mechanism comes into play. Then, you probably have to implement a down vote so that frivolous posts in that category can be voted down to a regular post with no Karma available.

In my mind, this rewards people helping other people. Period-
    In my mind, this is basically the real reason I come here. I have learned a TON, I continue to learn and I try to help others.

Also-

Including total # posts and year joined with Karma (or whatever) is fine and helpful. But KARMA should be reserved for helping people, not posting.

Post edited by rufessor : Clarity and to add something about Cheese Burgers

#304 10 years ago

Just a further thought...

Cheese burgers taste best with Bacon.

#305 10 years ago

Just a further thought...
    Cheese burgers taste best with Bacon.

That is a given but to really make them taste great you need the Greek seasoning.
    It isn't a Cheebourgie without the Cavender's.
    I just solved the problem of the bland cheebourgie so I better get some PKP for this one.

cavender_s.jpgcavender_s.jpg

#306 10 years ago

I am thinking bacon bubble gum. Is anybody else?

#307 10 years ago
    Quoted from s1500:

Keep the thumbs up and down tho. It's easier than posting "i agree" after quoting a super-long post.

I agree with this!

I like the thumbs, but maybe they shouldn't count for anything. I'd rather see 1 post with 5 thumbs up and 5 thumbs down, rather than 10 posts saying essentially "I agree" or "I disagree".

#308 10 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I agree with this!
    I like the thumbs, but maybe they shouldn't count for anything. I'd rather see 1 post with 5 thumbs up and 5 thumbs down, rather than 10 posts saying essentially "I agree" or "I disagree".

Yep.

#309 10 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

but I do sit there and wonder what I did or said to make them hit that button.

Sometimes people use this site on a mobile device and accidentally give a thumbs down when the meant to give a thumbs up... I've seen it said many time... so don't take it personally...

#310 10 years ago

I realize this is a fantasy suggestion but I'll throw it out there anyway.

I would like to see the profile be a real name, full address, home phone number, *PARENT’S phone number* and blood type. All verified.

THAT may cut down on sniping and commando comments. (fantasy off)

*blood type is just more busy work for Robin

Kim
    http://www.WrongCrowdProductions.com/

#311 10 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I realize this is a fantasy suggestion but I'll throw it out there anyway.
    I would like to see the profile be a real name, full address, home phone number, *PARENT’S phone number* and blood type. All verified.
    THAT may cut down on sniping and commando comments. (fantasy off)
    *blood type is just more busy work for Robin
    Kim

Only if your blood type is Positive (Thumbs Up) as we do not want to promote undeserved Negativity (Thumbs Down), me I'm lucky my blood is blue...er I mean ones blood is blue

You forgot dental records and finger prints just to be sure.......btw is that you ma?

#312 10 years ago
    Quoted from Sly_Old_Devil:

Only if your blood type is Positive (Thumbs Up) as we do not want to promote undeserved Negativity (Thumbs Down), me I'm lucky my blood is blue...er I mean ones blood is blue
    You forgot dental records and finger prints just to be sure.......btw is that you ma?

My blood type is A Positive... That reminds me... I'd also like a sperm count in the profile.

Hey Finrod. With all due respect, why the thumbs down? Seriously, I'd like to know.

Kim

#313 10 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

My blood type is A Positive...

Mine is A Negative. And I know why you want to know! So you can get a bloodhound to sniff out the location of your ex Joker Poker.

#314 10 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Hey Finrod. With all due respect, why the thumbs down? Seriously, I'd like to know.

Because I'm into privacy, and you were mocking it. I don't use my real name online, and I've been using this name for over 20 years. I post in a number of political forums, and if someone that hated my opinion had my real name, there is a significant chance that they could track me down and cause me no end of trouble if they were sufficiently obsessed (which there are far too many of those types out there). I even have a separate email account that I use for job-hunting so that potential employers can't go looking into my online history and discriminate against me because of it. Keeping my privacy keeps me safe, and I really don't like people mocking that.

#315 10 years ago
    Quoted from Finrod:

Because I'm into privacy, and you were mocking it. I don't use my real name online, and I've been using this name for over 20 years. I post in a number of political forums, and if someone that hated my opinion had my real name, there is a significant chance that they could track me down and cause me no end of trouble if they were sufficiently obsessed (which there are far too many of those types out there). I even have a separate email account that I use for job-hunting so that potential employers can't go looking into my online history and discriminate against me because of it. Keeping my privacy keeps me safe, and I really don't like people mocking that.

People who have good opinions don't need to hide behind pseudonyms...

Democracy is supposed to be out front and loud. Don't hide...

#316 10 years ago

Ever had your car keyed because of a bumper sticker you put on it?

I know plenty of people who have had that happen, which is why my car doesn't have any bumper stickers, either.

#317 10 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

People who have good opinions don't need to hide behind pseudonyms...
    Democracy is supposed to be out front and loud. Don't hide...

They do if they want to express those opinions on company time. Oops, I'd better get back to work...

#318 10 years ago
    Quoted from Finrod:

Good point, Finrod and I thank you for the explanation.

I just wish there was a way to get people to be more civil on the internet. Being anonymous seems to give some people licence to say things they never would otherwise.

Kim

#319 10 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

That is a given but to really make them taste great you need the Greek seasoning.
    It isn't a Cheebourgie without the Cavender's.
    I just solved the problem of the bland cheebourgie so I better get some PKP for this one.

Great stuff tracelifter! I always have Cavender's on my shelf. Great when grilling too.

#322 10 years ago

Only been on the site a month or so, but never understood the "karma". Why karma? Just doesn't make any sense to me in a pinball forum.

I never pay attention to anyone else's points because I just don't see how it matters how many points someone has that I'm replying to or who has replied to me.

So, I've go no suggestions or recommendations because I just don't care and I don't join a forum to rack up points and gain a title next to my name.

Just finally clicked on this topic because it's been sitting at the top of the posts since I joined and curiosity finally got the best of me.

#323 10 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

I never pay attention to anyone else's points because I just don't see how it matters how many points someone has that I'm replying to or who has replied to me.

Do you really feel like you have no additional "trust" toward someone whose name you see all the time, or who has a huge pkp?

I'd personally be willing to blindly invite someone like Ted, vid, or other high pkp people to my house than someone who doesn't have an established presence here.

#324 10 years ago

I must be in the minority, but I don't even look at the name of who posts. Must be because I'm new here and too many new names are overwhelming...not like many people use real names anyway. So I'm not about to learn 100s of handles. I'm here to read and learn primarily, not necessarily to invite people to my house.

I couldn't even try to remember who I am replying to right now because I'd have to scroll up on my ipad. I'm just replying to your comment, whoever you are.

#325 10 years ago

Many of us are here to read and learn, AND invite people to our homes. It's happened many times. A few months ago we had about 20 Pinsiders at parties.

#326 10 years ago

I'm here to read and learn, make new friends, and get new recipes for bacon.

#327 10 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I really like the idea of adding some sort of currency (coins) system, separate from the thumbs up. So maybe if we remove the thumb down, we have space to add a coin handout icon where you can give someone a coin for his contribution. Coins should be limited per user, it should be special when you are awarded a coin by someone.
    How do you get coins to give away? I like the idea of receiving a certain amount of coins from the "Pinside bank" each week. The Pinside already runs a weekly schedule for the Top 100 ratings so we could add coin payments to this schedule. "You've received x coins from the Pinside bank for this next week". When the week is over, you loose any leftover coins.
    And maybe the weekly coins amount you get from the bank could somehow be linked to your past week's activity. It would be cool to have some kind of "coin payout" each week to see how active/helpful etc you were that week.
    The idea is that limiting the amount of coins you get to give away makes it more special to receive one from someone.

Love the coin idea. I would add a bit of fun to the mix. Toss thumbs down, I agree with everyone's thoughts about increasing negativity. I'd rather post why I disagree - the reasons behind an implied thumbs down; it seems that's better than just a -1 without an explanation.

#328 10 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

I must be in the minority, but I don't even look at the name of who posts. Must be because I'm new here and too many new names are overwhelming...not like many people use real names anyway. So I'm not about to learn 100s of handles.

You really initially identify people by their avatar icon. Over time you learn names. People like O-din change his icon every day so they are harder to get to know until you learn their names, but eventually you do that as well. Longer you are here the more readily you will be able to identify people.

#329 10 years ago

Giving karma based mostly on quantity of posts should be completely scrapped. The biggest problem with pinside is the signal to noise ratio. There are WAY,WAY, WAY too many useless posters and not enough lurkers. I say that you should have to get at least one thumbs up for every five posts or lose your ability to post for a week.

People who constantly feel the need to post stupid pictures that clog pinside should be reigned in somehow and their karma docked. There needs to be something like a thumbs down button for flagging pictures posted that are not in context with the thread. If you get flagged for five pictures in a period of a week, you lose a bunch of karma and your ability to post pictures for a month.

These 20,000 post threads really suck. There should also be a way to flag posts for being OT to lose Karma. Not to mention personal messages back and forth between two people within a thread; take it to IM or lose Karma.

#330 10 years ago

Don't be silly.....er, Jim, what are you eating tonight?

alien_predator016.gifalien_predator016.gif

#331 10 years ago

Karma + I understand , but less ?

to the new name

pinside , bonus , Life , stars

#332 10 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

I say that you should have to get at least one thumbs up for every five posts or lose your ability to post for a week.

This would really isolate new people from wanting to post and encourage others to make fake accounts to thumb up themselves so they don't get locked out.

Quoted from John_I:

These 20,000 post threads really suck.

Perhaps an "ignore thread" option similar to the ignore sub forum option we already have would address your concern. As things stand now, you can ignore sub forums (ie. if you aren't looking to buy anything you can ignore the market place and will not see FS threads if I am doing my job and moving them into the sub forum).

Threads like the "machine owner club xyz" and the "regional peoples sub forums" are really fun for the people participating in them. They are already very popular on Pinside and are growing more popular every week. I would hate to ruin the fun for those people that are in those various threads and enjoying them.

#334 10 years ago

BONES

You rang?

mccoy2.jpgmccoy2.jpg

#335 10 years ago

yes you replied
    have had to give the ideas NO ?

#336 10 years ago
    Quoted from MMforever:

have had to give the ideas NO ?

I give ideas as they come to me YES.

#337 10 years ago

Ok

I send you my ideas for how by air -mail, in front of a beer

#338 10 years ago

Hi Robin,

I would like to see you keep the changes simple as the system to me works but just needs a minor tune up. Some of your suggestions are reflected here as well.

My Suggestion:

*Keep The Karma Point system but rename it "Credits"

*No more "Credit" points for "Off Topics"

*Thumbs up bonus "Credits" would remain the same but thumbs down would now take away any bonus "Credits" accordingly but would not go below the starting "15 Credit" points at the start.

Thanks for a great site too.

Ken

#339 10 years ago

EM hangout should get extra credit.

There are 339 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-karma-points-refresh/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.