Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 339 posts
  • 95 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

mccoy2.jpg
    alien_predator016.gif
    cavender_s.jpg
    chocolate-covered-bacon.jpg
    2982735249_e8da3a16e5_o.jpg
    th-2.jpeg
    559229_3294213327603_1838136708_n.jpg
    th-11.jpeg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    th-9.jpeg
    Malt_machine.jpg
    Vanillla_Malt_Shake.JPG
    redson.jpg
    th.jpeg
    th_5-Star.jpg
    There are 339 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.
    #51 10 years ago

leave the thumbs up/down, it keeps the "i agree" posts down... it also allows for voicing disagreement passively, without causing too much hullaballoo...

kill the karma system entirely... number of posts would be helpful though...

#52 10 years ago

I much rather see a rating system that actually means something...like a transaction rating. Or figure out a way to get 'points' for helping someone fix something...or someone responds with a picture request..etc.

#53 10 years ago
    Quoted from Monster_Bash:

I much rather see a rating system that actually means something...like a transaction rating.

I'd like to see a feedback rating system for sales/trades too. That could be useful for the commerce side of this site!

#54 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Karma pts for donations. Now that makes sense.

Buying karma? Well done.

#55 10 years ago

Seems logical that if you want to get rid of some negativity, ditch the thumbs down but keep the thumbs up.

You are just encouraging negativity by letting someone thumbs down a post.

#56 10 years ago

More like a reward for donating. But again, I'm all for losing the karma system, and the thumbs down. Too much negativity as a result.

#57 10 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Ok, yes. $10 gets 25 gifs.

I haven't seen a gif from you in a few days and I am honestly starting to like you more already. I think your celebrity pics are awesome. Is this the new and improved Ted?

#58 10 years ago
    Quoted from blownfuse:

Hi Larry, good to see you here. Back to our scheduled point discussion.

Hey there.. Didn't know who you were at first glance, but the collection + initials gave it away. Nice to see you here as well

#59 10 years ago

Random thoughts

Start by dividing everyone's current points by 10 or 15 to offset the posting abuse in the past to drive up scores.

New point system : 1 point for making a post unless it's in OT
    2 points for getting a thumbs up unless OT
    -1 point for a thumbs down but can't lose more than one point on a single post
    (in other words if someone feels it's bad enough to thumb down you break
    even overall)
    -1 if you give a thumbs down (you take yourself down with the person)
    -2 points if a mod has to move your thread to OT category because you
    listed it incorrectly

I don't think karma sounds religious. Just the opposite to me. I would tie the name to some longtime Pinside humor or joke. Call it Shasta and assorted deli meats or something like that.

Maybe show a ratio instead of the total. Ratio could be: thumbs up/total posts

#60 10 years ago

I'm for resetting the values if that helps out. Sure I was looking forward to 25k, and already had invited a few people to my party. My wife said wtf are you talking about, you nerd, but I'm pretty sure she was excited for me

How about just 1 point for every day you're active on the site, plus another point every time you get a thumbs up?

#61 10 years ago

Part of me feels like we are overthinking this.

Leave it as-is, add ratio.

That way, you can see if someone has a high score based entirely on volume of posts, instead of quality of posts.

High score with crappy ratio would tell you all you needed to know about that user.

Pete

#62 10 years ago

Abolish points. No matter what the system it will get abused. However, there should be a way to recognize helpful people. Not just the insanely helpful ones like Lloyd, but the ones that help people out, or suggest a technical fix that helps the person solve an issue. It isn't really karma, but more of an assistance rating scale. Yes, this could be abused as well, and therefore it will be up to the mods to doll them out. A little link that says "Hey mod, this answer helped me". The mod then does a quick review and says yes, nice answer, here is a cookie. It can't really be left in our hands as users because all we will do is thumb up, or down what we agree or disagree with.

Everyone here can look at a post and figure out if it was actually helpful or not. That gets rid of the "mee too" junk, the +1, the GLWYS and all the other stuff people use to build up karma because karma wouldn't exist.

So users would start as "Probationary user", and then after a set number of posts or time or both or subject to review by a mod be promoted to "user". And if warranted, "Helpful user", followed by "Super Helpful User", followed by the classification "Lloydish". General discussion would just be general discussion and wouldn't change this rating. And (Sorry Ted, I like you, but) 100 gifs would be just humor scattered in the posts and wouldn't alter someones ratings.

If I dug through all the posts of the top 100 Pinsiders with the most karma, I might find some folks that really helped this community. But I might also find a lot of people that really just built up a lot of karma but didn't really add anything. I'd rather know that UserX sent a picture to UserY showing a wiring issue fix, or how to diagnose a switch column, or where to buy a good crimper. Or even helping a newb figure out how to change a bulb.

And gosh, I hope fixing the game rating system is next, but that seems to be an even bigger problem. Fortunately it does not have any impact on day to day life on the Pinside.

Disclaimer: Lloyd helped me fix a wacky flipper switch issue on my LOTR last year.

#63 10 years ago

Is this the new and improved Ted?

thumbs_up.jpgthumbs_up.jpg

#64 10 years ago

That's what I figured. I swear I work with your twin brother.

#65 10 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

And gosh, I hope fixing the game rating system is next, but that seems to be an even bigger problem.

I agree here, I think the Karma system is pretty decent as is, maybe just take away one karma point to the person that gives the thumb down. Just some small tweaks would help this out, and sure get rid of the name Karma and call it PinPoints or something.

Ratings are a mess, all the multiple versions of each title getting their own rating messes things up, all ratings should be for public view as well and must have a comment? Giving machines a 1 and setting them all to private seems awfully sketchy.

#66 10 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

You get a point everytime you post so you could only hand out thumbs up when you have at least one point.

I like this idea but what if for every post you get zero points added to your karma and a point is added to a thumbs up bank that only you see. Then you can dish out thumbs up from your bank.

A persons karma is then only based on posting valuable information to the community.

I think this would cut down on some of the filler GLWTS etc. posting as no one is going to give a thumbs up for a post like that. Maybe it could be abused too as people could still post filler to earn thumbs up credit but I don't see that a reasonable person would want to be just dishing out random thumbs up.

Or no points for your posts, one point if you get a thumbs up and you get a bank of points to give as thumbs up for the week/month that resets every week/month and cannot be carried over or built up.

#67 10 years ago

Could you add a Footer that auto posts at the bottom of each persons posting such as Vbulliton has and then require any commercial entity, Distributor, Sub Dealer, Re Seller, Ect... to have a small blurb in the bottom. Example for us would be Stern Elite Distributor, Sales New and Used, Service and Parts.

#68 10 years ago

1 point for a comment
    2 points for a thumbs up
    -1 point for receiving a thumbs down
    -5 points for giving a thumbs down

when you give a thumbs up or down the blue box on the side bar is active just as if someone made a new comment on a thread you commented in.

how about calling the karma "score" with the digits resembling an EM score reel

EM_score_reel.jpgEM_score_reel.jpg

#69 10 years ago

If you take away a point for each "Thumbs down" given, the member with a black fist on a yellow background avatar (no names) would have negative pkp.....

#70 10 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

If you take away a point for each "Thumbs down" given, the member with a black fist on a yellow background Avatar (no names) would have negative pkp.....

Thats an interesting point, I think he gives a few accidental thumbs down as I know he surfs pinside mostly on a smarty phone, maybe move the thumb up/down to the left side so when you scroll down you don't accidentally hit anything.

Edit- Trophy kept thumbing down posts in the few threads I tell her to check out, her screen is so tiny on the Iphone she just got.

#71 10 years ago

At one of my past jobs we did "karma points", with similar discussions around how people would game the system to earn more points. To limit that, we set a limited number of points into the system...

Was a software development team, and at the start of each two week sprint/iteration each developer was given 10 points that they could then use to "Thumbs Up/Down" anyone else on the team. When you'd used up all of your points, that was it, you had to wait until the sprint/iteration was over before you could get any more to use to Thumbs Up/Down someone. You didn't get to keep your points and carry them over to the next 2wk period either, so people didn't end up with ever-growing piles of points that they could then use to Up/Down someone to death.

For us, worked fairly well. At the start we still had a few team members that wore through their points super-fast and were "broke" for most of the iteration and couldn't up/down anyone, but that settled out after a few runs and people became more cautious about how they spent their points.

#72 10 years ago

On a somewhat related note.... is there a way to do a search for or view a list of the "most thumbed up posts/threads" in the system?

#73 10 years ago

I have to admit I would be more interested in fixing the ranking system than fixing the karma system. I just want less drama and more camaraderie amongst us pinheads. Less petty bickering and more well thought out rational discussions. If a better karma system can accomplish that I'm all for it. I think the ratio idea by pmWolf is a pretty good start if an overhaul is done.

#74 10 years ago

Thanks for all the great insights so far!

I will add a "years on Pinside" counter. I will add a title for commercial disclosure.

Yes we could ditch Karma points altogether. But it is also tied into other sections of the site: making ratings, adding "where to play" items, uploading images etc. It would be a waste to do away with all that. Maybe I should bring it back to that first incarnation. The system gives you points for contributing something to the site. An image, a rating, a post. I would say a post should earn no more than 1 point.

I think thumbs down should go. I mean, there must be a reason why a rather popular website like Facebook only has "like" and no "dislike" button. It may well be the cause of more negativity, as some of you noted, which is something I never had foreseen when creating that button.

Thumbs up can stay, if only as a "me too" or +1 indicator, to avoid people making posts for agreeing. In other words, no points tied to thumb up.

I really like the idea of adding some sort of currency (coins) system, separate from the thumbs up. So maybe if we remove the thumb down, we have space to add a coin handout icon where you can give someone a coin for his contribution. Coins should be limited per user, it should be special when you are awarded a coin by someone.

How do you get coins to give away? I like the idea of receiving a certain amount of coins from the "Pinside bank" each week. The Pinside already runs a weekly schedule for the Top 100 ratings so we could add coin payments to this schedule. "You've received x coins from the Pinside bank for this next week". When the week is over, you loose any leftover coins.

And maybe the weekly coins amount you get from the bank could somehow be linked to your past week's activity. It would be cool to have some kind of "coin payout" each week to see how active/helpful etc you were that week.

The idea is that limiting the amount of coins you get to give away makes it more special to receive one from someone.

#75 10 years ago

Get rid of thumbs down. Get rid of pkp points or any visible incremental counter system such as number of posts or points as that will still have people +1ing just to get higher numbers, still have a pkp or points system available on people's profile page for the ability to see activity etc if that floats your boat. Titles can give enough of a clue to how established you are in the community and absolutely have "dealer" titles for commercial types. Just show the ratio of thumbs up to posts on the avatar corner along with the heart and existing user defined info or gold, silver and bronze medals at certain thumbs up to posts ratios.

Mark.

#76 10 years ago

First person to come up with a forum ruleset as complex as a Keith P. Johnson ruleset wins 10 random thumbs-ups in non-consecutive posts.

** Please note : Keith P. Johnson is excluded from this contest due to unfair home-turf advantage. Sorry keef. **

My real thoughts are that I think it's ok as is, maybe a few tweaks based on admin perception? I guess my advice would be not to overthink it.

#77 10 years ago

There's nothing wrong with keeping things simple either, Robin.

Quoted from robin:

I really like the idea of adding some sort of currency (coins) system, separate from the thumbs up. So maybe if we remove the thumb down, we have space to add a coin handout icon where you can give someone a coin for his contribution. Coins should be limited per user, it should be special when you are awarded a coin by someone.
    How do you get coins to give away? I like the idea of receiving a certain amount of coins from the "Pinside bank" each week. The Pinside already runs a weekly schedule for the Top 100 ratings so we could add coin payments to this schedule. "You've received x coins from the Pinside bank for this next week". When the week is over, you loose any leftover coins.
    And maybe the weekly coins amount you get from the bank could somehow be linked to your past week's activity. It would be cool to have some kind of "coin payout" each week to see how active/helpful etc you were that week.
    The idea is that limiting the amount of coins you get to give away makes it more special to receive one from someone.

#78 10 years ago

I think it would be a good idea to change the name "karma points" to credits. This is a pinball site after all. Also I am a Buddhist and it's kind of weird seeing "karma points"!

#79 10 years ago

To me, I think the biggest problem isn't necessarily the karma system, but the off-topic posting (usually in the form of bickering, various attacks, etc.) What if there was a way to flag a post in a thread as off-topic. If the post gets enough flags, it would be hidden (kind of like a tilted post now) or deleted. It should take quite a few flags to be deemed off-topic, not just one or two. If we keep the karma system, you should lose points if you your post gets enough flags to be off topic.

This would all occur in a automated fashion, but could be overseen by moderators at a high level. That way, moderators wouldn't have to review off-topic flags one by one, but could take a look if someone was abusing the flags.

Also, moderators could talk to users that are consistently and legitimately being flagged as off-topic.

The person that flags the posts should be shown, just like you can see who gives thumbs up/thumbs down now. That way you would be forced to take personal responsibility for flagging someone. Also, every one could see if one person is consistently flagging another for personal reasons.

Also, I think you shouldn't be able to flag posts after a certain amount of time (maybe a month or so).

--Luke

#80 10 years ago

IMHO, the point system is ripe for abuse no matter what you do.

Please don't encourage 'activity', so that interesting threads get bombarded with useless crap, OT posts, images that waste bandwidth and serve no purpose, manufacturer praise/hate (the biggest gripe I have), etc. When I see huge karma points, most of the time I think 'Gee, that dude should get out more'.

Personally, I think time spent on making the site nicer for mobile browsers would be time better served.

#81 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinstor12:

Ditch the number of posts idea, you will be right back to where you are starting from. Some guys will abuse it.

I believe anyone who thinks the people who "spam" topics would suddenly stop because of a change to karma points is delusional.

If there needs to be a system, give points for thumbs, up or down, positive or negative. Are people going to "gang up" and have a thumb down party? I seriously doubt it. Isn't the average age of a pinsider over 15? The only cluster hump of down thumbs I remember was that macho a-hole lying bigot who acted like a douche, added nothing to any thread, created an account to big himself up, and cheerfully plunked along laughing at the negative votes. He deserved every single down he got.

Most thumbs down I've seen have been well deserved.

#82 10 years ago
    Quoted from HighNoon:

What if there was a way to flag a post in a thread as off-topic. If the post gets enough flags, it would be hidden (kind of like a tilted post now) or deleted. It should take quite a few flags to be deemed off-topic, not just one or two. If we keep the karma system, you should lose points if you your post gets enough flags to be off topic.

This would be a ripe setting for a war. If you look back at divisive topics over the past few months you will notice the thumbs up and down listings grouped fairly consistently to what each person thought. As a general policy it would be fine, but as a system to silence other opinions it would land us right back in the same mess.

#83 10 years ago

I agree with Bryan. When I read through these posts (of which there are many interesting ideas) I'm reminded of that old acronym, KISS (keep it simple stupid). In my line of work (GC, remodeling), it's keep it simple yet elegant, not bold and gaudy. It seems to be a good path to take in any operation in life, and holds true through each day.

I think/believe that there really is no perfect fix for PKP, short of throwing it out completely. Pinside is growing up and needs to forgo childish things (bravo to Robin and the mods for taking on the responsibility of leadership through difficult times). Anything added to the idea of PKP will complicate matters or be a temporary patch to stop the bleeding. If this turns out to be the case, we'll be discussing it again down the road. If not, then all will be well and I was incorrect.

It is out of my hands but I thank Robin for the opportunity to discuss it without discourse here. Though I may get testy from time to time, I feel we are all comrades in this and I would like to see Pinside rise the bar to a new level. I'll be reading this thread to the end but I've said probably more than is needed so this'll most likely be the last of me posting to it. I'm sure there are others that believe differently than I do and that's part of life, I'm good with that and look forward to future discussions we may have.

I'm on the search for the next System 80 "help me" thread.

Steve

#84 10 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

If you tie the number of coins you receive back to activity, IMO that just opens it up again for easy abuse. But yes, my experience has been that by limiting the supply of coins to the system, people start to get more picky about how they spend them and it then becomes more special to receive one (which is the point, isn't it?)

#85 10 years ago

Start everyone at 1 million points and work backwards making a lower score better like golf. This will confuse the people who are out to only gain points, and the rest of the people will know a lower point rating is actually better.

I know, horrible idea.

#86 10 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

There's nothing wrong with keeping things simple either, Robin.

That's my thoughts also. Get the forum too complicated and it could turn some people away.

#87 10 years ago
    Quoted from DarkWizard:

Start everyone at 1 million points and work backwards making a lower score better like golf. This will confuse the people who are out to only gain points, and the rest of the people will know a lower point rating is actually better.
    I know, horrible idea.

I thought we were trying to avoid being negative. Now I'm confused.

#88 10 years ago

I think being negative towards things that suck is a good thing. Of course, using my example above, being negative would actually give a positive. See its working already!

(Disclaimer : Reading this does not oblige you to give me a thumbs down)

#89 10 years ago

Im not a fan of the point per comment part because i think that it is already abused. There are so many people that over half of their post are the typical GLWS, Wish i was closer, 10k by christmas.

Some people seem to do nothing but post useless things like that, or even someone "bump"ing their own post. And then you get into the people that seem to have an open conversation/arguement on someone elses thread.

I think that maybe a point for starting a thread, and then points based on thumbs up/down

so responses to threads like the GLWS type things would not be awarded points. However, if you have the situation where someone does something like answer a technical question, they would not get any points for the actual answer, but if it was helpful then others would give thumbs up, which would give them some kind of reward for taking the time to answer

#90 10 years ago

How about thumbs up and down do nothing but signify agreement or disagreement with that post.

#91 10 years ago

It might be interesting to see some kind of Bar Chart for Pinside. We know Robin has expenses for the year to keep the site running. If we see how much is needed, we can ramp up donations. If there is a server upgrade that needs to be done, we can ramp up to get it going and follow progress. (see example)

bar_chart_pin.jpgbar_chart_pin.jpg

#92 10 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

It might be interesting to see some kind of Bar Chart for Pinside.

Or how bout just a bar?

#93 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Or how bout just a bar?

That is why you are a god!

#94 10 years ago

I'm pretty sure the percent who like gifs is lower than that...

=)

#95 10 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

I'm pretty sure the percent who like gifs is lower than that...

=)

Hey hey now!

#96 10 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

That is why you are a god!

But not as famous as some of your other acquaintances.

#97 10 years ago

I know, low blow.

Statement made for comedic effect only...=)

#99 10 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

Statement made for comedic effect only...=)

...and taken that way...

#100 10 years ago

This train ride is getting a little bumpy for a sticky...

bth_threadderailedsu2.gifbth_threadderailedsu2.gif

There are 339 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-karma-points-refresh/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.