(Topic ID: 213573)

Pinside invades Frolic’s Arcade! (Please read)

By frolic

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3967 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3979 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3977 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3970 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3968 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3969 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3965 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3961b (resized).jpg
    Pinside at Frolics2 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

I had the pleasure of hosting Robin and Martijn while they were passing through my city (Toronto) for their final night just before they flew back home, after their recent tour that started at the TPF.

It was a personal thrill to have them here, as my pinball adventure very much started with Pinside and came at a very important time of my life. I thought I’d share with you a bit about that and how much Pinside has affected me.

During the summer of 2012 I went through a very deep and long-lasting existential crisis. Of unknown origin, but it was with me for many months and was pretty consuming. Looking at my Pinside sign-up date of August 23, 2012, I can recall revisiting my childhood interest of pinball during that time.

Upon being thrown into this new world of very enthusiastic hobbyists, I had something new to take my mind off things and give me some relief. I can remember the warm welcome I got at Pinside, from @rabscuttle, who identified me as a newbie from a first post and sent me an unsolicited PM welcoming me to Pinside. I’ve tried to pay that gesture forward myself by doing the same thing to newbies as I see them.

In very quick order, I began to build a new social group of friends. As adults, we have limited opportunities to meet new people. I honestly hadn’t made any new friends during the last 10 years prior. And suddenly on Pinside I was meeting new people left and right.

Then I got bit by the enablers on Pinside, and all of a sudden my first pinball was not just any one, but a giant leap to a NIB Tron. As crazy as a purchase like that seems, my wife could tell this was important to me and something that was helping me, and supported my decision 100%.

Through Pinside I sourced the seller of the Tron. And I can recall the feeling of waiting for its arrival. I had honestly not felt that way since I was a little kid waiting for Christmas. A lifetime of living can just suck the fun out of everything, and here I felt like a 7-year-old again. Of course, I got to share the thrill of when the game arrived with Pinside.

The mother of all enabler threads is that “Let’s see pics of game rooms!” and then I had a REAL bug in me as my pinball addiction was fully unleashed. “Frolic’s Arcade” was realized.

I’ve enjoyed whatever “Pinside fame” I’ve gotten (thank you for 20,000 thumbs ups!), and it has been fun to be a part of this site and part of the ongoing discussions. I hope I’ve in turn had a positive effect on others here and shared the occasional laugh.

Pinside allowed me to make friends not just online, but I quickly connected with local ones. Many I see every week, and some I speak with almost every day. My online Pinside friends are equally as great, many of whom I may never meet in real life but I think if we did we would be like old friends. I cherish all the friendships I’ve developed since my first day signing up to Pinside.

Now we live in a new house with a dedicated arcade, we host my wife’s monthly league and charity events, and it’s just fun to have people over and share my hobby. I’ve often made the analogy that if I collected cars instead, it would be like going to the car show, but handing over the keys to my cars and letting everyone drive them around the block. Pinball is such a unique hobby that way in your ability to share it with anyone, including strangers.

So, back to Pinside. It was a genuine thrill to bring everything full circle with Robin and Martijn’s visit this week, and host them at my arcade that is very much a product of Pinside both directly and indirectly. I invited a bunch of local Pinsiders to join us. There was a great “arcade energy” in the air, with the cacophony of pinball, music and conversations happening everywhere.

Pinside has been a part of my daily life since that first day I signed up. I know my story is just one of many, so I hope they take pride in what they’ve created and contributed to the world.

Sincerely,

Chris Frolic
    www.frolicsarcade.com

Pinside at Frolics2 (resized).jpgPinside at Frolics2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3961b (resized).jpgIMG_3961b (resized).jpg
    IMG_3965 (resized).JPGIMG_3965 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3969 (resized).JPGIMG_3969 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3968 (resized).JPGIMG_3968 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3970 (resized).JPGIMG_3970 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3977 (resized).JPGIMG_3977 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3979 (resized).JPGIMG_3979 (resized).JPG

IMG_3967 (resized).JPGIMG_3967 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Excellent write up !

#3 6 years ago

Wow, now that’s a game room! As a fellow car guy, I agree with your car hobby analogy.

I’m not aware of too many other hobbies that you can share with others like pinball and arcade games. I’m sure it’s a lot of fun.

You might be getting a pm before my next work trip to Toronto!

#4 6 years ago

Great post! I love hearing stories like this. Thanks so much for sharing.

#5 6 years ago

I also had the thrill of an invite , and a nice dinner with Robin ,Martijn ,and Folic before hand . It was a great evening , Thanks Chris !

#6 6 years ago

#7 6 years ago

Awesome gameroom! The pinball hobby is an interesting one for sure. You can have games of your own or just play on location. When you own games, anyone can play young or old.

#8 6 years ago

Another great story from a great guy, Thanks again, Chris for sharing!

#9 6 years ago

Great story Frolic. I often hear bitching about Pinside elsewhere but those people aren't doing it right. If it weren't for this place, I wouldn't have some really great friends that I now do, from all over the country. Pinside rules!

#10 6 years ago

Very cool Chris. Looks like you guys had a blast.

#11 6 years ago

Thanks, everyone. It makes me feel good to share my story and talk about what really matters in life, making human connections.

#12 6 years ago

Human connections and super jackpots! Thx for a fun night Chris and Robin(s)!

#13 6 years ago

Awesome!

#14 6 years ago

For those not previously familiar with my arcade threads, here are a couple older ones documenting what i did:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-mirror-bladed-my-freakin-arcade

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-arcade-got-featured-in-a-magazine

#15 6 years ago

Was glad to be part of such a great night.

Always have fun at frolics arcade. Happy to be a friend and always to support the hobby and events we can share.

It was great to meet the pinside overlords as well.

It's always appreciated when friends open their doors and invite us to share the hobby we love.

Sorry for being terribly non-photogenic. I'm quite scary looking in real life.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I had the pleasure of hosting Robin and Martijn while they were passing through my city (Toronto) for their final night just before they flew back home, after their recent tour that started at the TPF.

Great post! It's was an absolute pleasure to visit the Frolic Arcade and to finally meet you in person. I enjoyed hearing how Pinside has helped you get into pinball and how you've met all these friends through the forums. And I think your game room and all the people showing up are a testament to that.

It was also cool to meet your wife and to hear about what she does to promote (female) pinball in the Toronto area!

Your arcade is a work of art. All those little details: the Frolic tokens (+ token machine), the "employees only" signs, the big custom neon, the ceiling LED strips, the mirror at the end of that long row of games. And let's not forget the amazing line-up.

Chris, we had an absolute blast, thanks for inviting us over!

#17 6 years ago

I only just saw this thread! Thanks again for the invite, it was great to meet and "talk shop" with Robin and see how passionate he is about Pinside and hear about all his plans for the future. My son was also in hog heaven - his three favourite things are pinball, putting "monies" in coin slots, and cookies!

And of course it's always great to hang out with the other Toronto pinheads.

#18 6 years ago

It was definitely the highlight of my Wednesday !

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

all his plans for the future

World domination!

Quoted from jwilson:

putting "monies" in coin slots

Hah! If I recall correctly, your son got himself a bucket of Frolic tokens and was enjoying himself tremendously putting them into an arcade game coin slot, one by one

#20 6 years ago

I'll.just come out and say it here.

Toronto welcomes you both back any time. My doors will be open next time you make the trip overseas again

#21 6 years ago

Super cool!
    Great looking line up!
    Thanks
    blake

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-invades-frolic%e2%80%99s-arcade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.