(Topic ID: 202252)

Pinside I come to you for advice on Pins! (again)

By waspinat0r

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Guys,

As some of you know, I recently sold my Baywatch because I was looking to purchase the new GotG pin (I have faith in Borg + Ropp, plus my son (me too) really wants it.) However, a couple of days ago, he informs me that he would just like to have a machine with good music AND/OR superheroes, period. So I guess I went from 2 pins to 0 pins for no real reason, because Baywatch had awesome music, he just didn't appreciate it.

Anyhoo, my conundrum is this. I'm now within a budget of about 5600 or so to either wait it out and get my fix via TPA and still get a GotG if it's as impressive as I'm hoping it will be, or I could take that money and buy other pins. I'm a huge fan of fast, flowy type games. Some of the games I've never owned which I still want to try I have in my wishlist. I have played Star Trek and I love it, but I still need to try games like Metallica(which I think he'd enjoy, might have to turn off the vulgar language while he's visiting, though) and things like that. I'd prefer to buy more than one pin for variety, but I know if I were to choose one "newer" game, it'd be tough to squeeze out of 5600.

I'm certainly not adverse to older games, though.

#2 6 years ago

Tron, while not a superhero game, has great music and flow. This is a great playing machine. Might not be available in your price range. Spiderman meets the hero requirement and is a great player but I don't recall the music standing out.

#3 6 years ago

Super hero - Iron Man
    Music- Metallica pro
    In the budget. Go get one.
    -Mike

#4 6 years ago

I would wait and see what GotG is like. Sure, the code won't be as far along as what these older games are but it will hopefully check both superhero and music boxes. It is only a couple of weeks away until we see some footage right?

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from GhostThruster:

It is only a couple of weeks away until we see some footage right?

So that should be enough time for Wasp to buy and sell at least 3 more games

#6 6 years ago
    #7 6 years ago

Metallica or maybe AC/DC

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from waspinat0r:

I recently sold my Baywatch because I was looking to purchase the new GotG pin.

Doesn't anyone make a plan and stick to it any more? Stick to the plan.

#9 6 years ago

I think you need to take 10-20% of your budget and plan an overnight trip with the family to Louisville and/or Nashville areas to go play some of the huge arcades that will have 20-50+ pins for you to play and get a better idea of what you want. A lot cheaper to play on route until you figure it all out

www.pinballmap.com is your friend!

The big one in Nashville is Game Galaxy and Louisville is Recbar. There may be others closer to you, those are just the ones I've found

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

I think you need to take 10-20% of your budget and plan an overnight trip with the family to Louisville and/or Nashville areas to go play some of the huge arcades that will have 20-50+ pins for you to play and get a better idea of what you want. A lot cheaper to play on route until you figure it all out
    http://www.pinballmap.com is your friend!
    The big one in Nashville is Game Galaxy and Louisville is Recbar. There may be others closer to you, those are just the ones I've found

I'll actually be spending the weekend in Nashville for GOGX this weekend.

#11 6 years ago

Let’s be honest - and this (I swear) is not a dig...

You just want to play a lot of different games and your pinball ADD will result in you flipping anything you buy. Because of this my sincere recommendation is simply to get games that are the best deal/value and enjoy them.

Taking a 10% hit on a NIB game to please yourself and a child for a couple weeks seems like an expensive way to enjoy the hobby. I’m not judging because we are free to do whatever we want with our money but I purchase NIB for games I intend to keep because (financially) it’s not a great idea...

It is unfortunate you sold a game you looked for so long so quickly... and now have sellers remorse. If you don’t see a pattern here I’m not sure what to tell you. Clearly no game will ever be a keeper for you and that is OK as long as you are fine taking hit after hit (and multiplying that hit with a NIB purchase).

Play the crap out of some routed games to get your fix with your son. Own the good ones.

At the end of the day, and again this isn’t a dig, you are asking people for a strategy... and truly it appears you just want to play/own as many games as possible as quickly as possible and flip them as quickly as you can. There’s no helpful advice for that unless you are okay with opening your wallet from time to time.

#12 6 years ago

LoL @ the people buying NIB sterns still. Seriously just flush $100 bills down the toilet. Same thing and won't strain your back.

#13 6 years ago

Agree with last post. You seem to seek other opinions when you have a hard enough time with your own. Looking at your past posts, it seems you give no game a chance even when you say how much you want it. Relax, go play the games you think you'll enjoy and then play them again and again. If you still enjoy it, then go and purchase. Good luck!

#14 6 years ago

Not a negative but you are not going to keep any game very long. Go ahead and find a couple of new games to play and get a huo GOTG down the road. There will be a lot of games for sale at the show in Nashville.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from brainmegaphone:

Let’s be honest - and this (I swear) is not a dig...
    You just want to play a lot of different games and your pinball ADD will result in you flipping anything you buy. Because of this my sincere recommendation is simply to get games that are the best deal/value and enjoy them.
    Taking a 10% hit on a NIB game to please yourself and a child for a couple weeks seems like an expensive way to enjoy the hobby. I’m not judging because we are free to do whatever we want with our money but I purchase NIB for games I intend to keep because (financially) it’s not a great idea...
    It is unfortunate you sold a game you looked for so long so quickly... and now have sellers remorse. If you don’t see a pattern here I’m not sure what to tell you. Clearly no game will ever be a keeper for you and that is OK as long as you are fine taking hit after hit (and multiplying that hit with a NIB purchase).
    Play the crap out of some routed games to get your fix with your son. Own the good ones.
    At the end of the day, and again this isn’t a dig, you are asking people for a strategy... and truly it appears you just want to play/own as many games as possible as quickly as possible and flip them as quickly as you can. There’s no helpful advice for that unless you are okay with opening your wallet from time to time.

Great post and excellent advice. Given your history with pins to this point I would have to say that any NIB game is not a very good idea.

Also, you have a 'wish-list' of 54 games, lol.

3 months later
    #16 6 years ago

So I guess waspy got burned out on pinball? Haven’t seen him or the wife in a month or more.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

So I guess waspy got burned out on pinball? Haven’t seen him or the wife in a month or more.

Isn't that what most of you wanted?

#18 6 years ago

I guess the candle that burns twice as bright lasts half as long. It's too bad, they were fun.

#19 6 years ago

Waspinat0r....it was fun while it lasted. I miss the good ole days of your for sale/trade threads

#20 6 years ago

I’m not sure if he is bribed out on pinball or not. I know he was dealing with a family health issue that was consuming a lot of his time and money. I always really liked the guy and I wish him the best

2 weeks later
    #21 6 years ago

Dude was annoying, don't miss him at all.

3 weeks later
    #22 6 years ago

Edit...posted in wrong thread

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-i-come-to-you-for-advice-on-pins-again and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.