2EA4D63D-CD5A-4D50-AC1B-AAA087765F38 (resized).jpeg
8BDB2A26-03B2-443A-9ECB-BC9D19520E44 (resized).jpeg
FADF9B08-DC58-42DC-89FC-FB8CEDF3490D (resized).jpeg
6119F8FF-B897-4AA6-9C3B-3FEEED13EC6A (resized).png
214D0993-C61A-45F0-B97C-550869B7A85D (resized).png
DB82DC81-0BB3-43A7-A867-80A7F129C060 (resized).jpeg
33952A26-A720-4AF7-9C03-0400D684E4B3 (resized).jpeg
Image on Supernova  (resized).JPG
There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

Hi,

I wanted to create this thread for fellow Pinside members to discuss home theater related topics. I've been into home theater for nearly 15 years, enjoy watching movies at home, and tweaking my home theater setup. Please share any home theater related topics and questions.

#2 3 years ago

One item I've been researching is 4k Ultra Blu Rays and 4k streaming. I've invested a lot of money over the years into DVD's and Blu Ray's and have decided for now not to purse building a 4k Ultra Blu Ray collection. I'm going to try a few 4k releases on Apple iTunes played through an Apple TV 4K device connected using a wired network connection. I know physical media will always offer better quality (plus you actually own it) but I can't see buying more physical disks for the same movie a 3rd or in some cases 4th (VHS) time.

From what I read a good number of movies on Apple iTunes support Dolby Atmos. I'm currently in the middle of configuring a Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 setup and look forward to watching a few Atmos enabled films.

1 week later
#3 3 years ago

Funny you created this thread as I was searching for something about floor standing speakers. We just bought a new TV for our living room, and thinking about upgrading from the soundbar that we had on our older TV. Looking to get a pair of active floor standing speakers but haven't looked much into it. From what I understand, each speaker has it's own pre-amp, power, and crossover. I guess my question is, how do you connect the pair if they each have their own set of electronics, and any recommendations? We also have a record player we would like to connect. Looking to spend <$1K for the pair.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Funny you created this thread as I was searching for something about floor standing speakers. We just bought a new TV for our living room, and thinking about upgrading from the soundbar that we had on our older TV. Looking to get a pair of active floor standing speakers but haven't looked much into it. From what I understand, each speaker has it's own pre-amp, power, and crossover. I guess my question is, how do you connect the pair if they each have their own set of electronics, and any recommendations? We also have a record player we would like to connect. Looking to spend <$1K for the pair.

Your best bet is to buy a 2-channel receiver and a pair of passive floorstanding speakers. Connecting a turntable to active speakers will require buying a phono pre-amp, at that point a receiver with a built-in phono input is likely a better option for what you want.
Something like this: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RN303/Yamaha-R-N303.html would work wonderfully and you would still have $700 in your budget to spend on a solid pair of speakers.

#5 3 years ago

I just worked on my Infinity Alpha 50's over the weekend. Had two tweeters cracked due to somebody pushing on them several years ago. Just got around to looking for replacements which i surprisingly found. That's the only thing i've ever had to do to my system which is almost 20 years old. I have the Alpha 1200s sub, Alpha 37c center channel, Alpha 50 towers, 4 of the Alpha 25es surround speakers with a Harman Kardon AVR520 receiver and PA2000 amp.

#6 3 years ago

I was trying to get away from buying a receiver, but understand that it might be necessary if I want to have a proper setup as I don't think there is a way to connect a TV to an active speaker anyway.

I've got a 5.1 HT system in my basement, but didn't want to have to duplicate it for our living room too. We do watch movies and listen to music in the living room; I guess I'm looking for great sound but don't need thunderous bass from a subwoofer.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I was trying to get away from buying a receiver, but understand that it might be necessary if I want to have a proper setup.
I've got a 5.1 HT system in my basement, but didn't want to have to duplicate it for our living room too. We do watch movies and listen to music in the living room; I guess I'm looking for great sound but don't need thunderous bass from a subwoofer.

I would recommend using a sub for most sound purposes. You can always turn it down to remove the thunder effect but still have a nice low dynamic range.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I would recommend using a sub for most sound purposes. You can always turn it down to remove the thunder effect but still have a nice low dynamic range.

Also check Craigslist for a high end used receiver. You will save a lot of money as audiophiles always are updating their equipment and price their previous equipment to move it out quickly to fund the next best thing

#9 3 years ago

Yea!!! I love my theater.

As for the 4K question above, I purchase the 4K disk and then rip it to my server. It's then streamed to my theater with an NVIDIA Shield for playback. The server is a 49TB unRAID box running Emby as a docker container. I store all my TV shows and movies on it and can even share the content with my family.

I need another row of seating, but just haven't pulled the trigger yet. The room has a dedicated HVAC system and is built as a soundproof shell. All walls are acoustically treated. The screen wall is acoustically transparent and sits 2' from the actual wall. The speakers are hidden back there so they don't take up space or cause a distraction.

My Dad and I built the entire thing.

228cd69e45dc8a6f2d87e7b39ef99f8d8ef69c8b (resized).jpg228cd69e45dc8a6f2d87e7b39ef99f8d8ef69c8b (resized).jpg

962440dcd984d531224ac77aa60b5dadf3ee9d8f (resized).jpg962440dcd984d531224ac77aa60b5dadf3ee9d8f (resized).jpg

The rack wasn't 100% finished at this point, but it was close.

Rack (resized).jpgRack (resized).jpg

Here is the server that runs most of the house. It's a 32 core, 2 CPU server with 64GB of memory and a dedicated GPU for transcoding 4K content on the fly.

Server (resized).jpgServer (resized).jpg

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I was hoping by getting tower speakers, that they would reproduce enough low end when watching movies. I mean I've got cheap polk psw10s for each of my modern games, but didn't want to get yet another, better sub for the TV too

Good idea on check CL and FB marketplace!

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Now here's someone who's doing it right. Curious what you're using as a projector/system. I don't recognize the projection interface rack unit you have in there, but I'm not as well up on DCP setups as I used to be.

DCPs are the way to go, I just can't imagine having one in ones house. Someday, when I'm rich and famous (or poor and foolish) I'll get a setup like this for myself.

#12 3 years ago

As for the 4K question above, I purchase the 4K disk and then rip it to my server. It's then streamed to my theater with an NVIDIA Shield for playback. The server is a 49TB unRAID box running Emby as a docker container. I store all my TV shows and movies on it and can even share the content with my family.
I need another row of seating, but just haven't pulled the trigger yet. The room has a dedicated HVAC system and is built as a soundproof shell. All walls are acoustically treated. The screen wall is acoustically transparent and sits 2' from the actual wall. The speakers are hidden back there so they don't take up space or cause a distraction.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Here is the server that runs most of the house. It's a 32 core, 2 CPU server with 64GB of memory and a dedicated GPU for transcoding 4K content on the fly.
[quoted image]

That is one sick setup! Very nice job. Wow 49TB storage server for movies, damn nice! That type of room would be the dream to have one day.

Is that an Epson projector? I just purchased an Epson 5050ub and finally got around to mounting it from the ceiling yesterday.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Now here's someone who's doing it right. Curious what you're using as a projector/system. I don't recognize the projection interface rack unit you have in there, but I'm not as well up on DCP setups as I used to be.
DCPs are the way to go, I just can't imagine having one in ones house. Someday, when I'm rich and famous (or poor and foolish) I'll get a setup like this for myself.

So I have to admit, I don't know what a DCP is....

It's a 4K (faux) Epson 5040UB. It's not native 4K, but does throw one hell of a beautiful HDR image.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:From what I read a good number of movies on Apple iTunes support Dolby Atmos. I'm currently in the middle of configuring a Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 setup and look forward to watching a few Atmos enabled films.

Can confirm. I have two ceiling recessed Def Tech speakers configured in a 5.2.1 Atmos config with an AppleTV and it works great.

#15 3 years ago

So I have to admit, I don't know what a DCP is....
It's a 4K (faux) Epson 5040UB. It's not native 4K, but does throw one hell of a beautiful HDR image.

Very nice. The Epson projectors are amazing from what I've read. I'm looking forward to getting mine up and running. I had JVC projectors for years but both had reliability issues so wanted to try a different brand. I'll be projecting onto a 125" Silver Ticket 2.35 1 high contrast grey screen...that I still have to put together lol.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Can confirm. I have two ceiling recessed Def Tech speakers configured in a 5.2.1 Atmos config with an AppleTV and it works great.

Thats great to hear! I'm looking forward to trying it out. What are your favorite Atmos movies from Apple iTunes?

I just finished making speaker holders for the Atmos speakers that will go in my exposed basement ceiling, I'm happy with the way they came out.

20210107_181651 (resized).jpg20210107_181651 (resized).jpg

#17 3 years ago

Just built a new house with theater room. I was going to go projector and all that jazz, but was actually talked out of it by some guys who own projectors. I went with a 86" TV with Sonos full surround arc bar, sub, and 2 sonos ones and it is plenty for my taste. I added a row of theater seating with auto recline, cup holders with chillers, food trays, etc.. Added full food bar with fridge, microwave, popcorn machine etc.. and I am VERY happy with it. Everything is hardwired straight to data closet for super fast streaming. I went crazy on Cat6 drops all over the house. My wiring guy thought I was crazy. I did all this on a budget of somewhere around $6500. I got a crazy deal on the theater seating or it would probably be around $9000.

#18 3 years ago

[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

this looks very similar to my dads theater room. he has 4 rows with 4 seats per row of riser seating.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Thats great to hear! I'm looking forward to trying it out. What are your favorite Atmos movies from Apple iTunes?
I just finished making speaker holders for the Atmos speakers that will go in my exposed basement ceiling, I'm happy with the way they came out.
[quoted image]

Those look nice! We were doing a gut job on the first floor so it was pretty easy to pop these in. DefTech has a nice mechanism for how they work. We have crap acoustics due the shape of the room, hardwood, and the windows but it is more than fine for watching movies or sports. I currently have this hooked up to a 55in OLED glass panel and a DefTech speaker bar but will probably upsize the TV as I finish the basement and move this one there. All of the components are rack mounted in the basement so you see no wires.

As for Atmos movies, all of the Marvel and Disney movies sound great. Ragnarok in particular sounds bad ass. Apple is constantly upgrading released to HDR and Atmos so it changes all the time. I believe T2 was recently updated.

IMG_0092 (resized).jpgIMG_0092 (resized).jpgIMG_0093 (resized).jpgIMG_0093 (resized).jpg
#20 3 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I was trying to get away from buying a receiver, but understand that it might be necessary if I want to have a proper setup as I don't think there is a way to connect a TV to an active speaker anyway.

You COULD get a pair of active speakers and run RCA cables from the output on your TV to the active speakers but I do not see a benefit to doing this. I have a full surround setup in my theater/bar area but for my living room setup I use a vintage Marantz 2235B that I had lying around connected to a nice set of bookshelf speakers. It sounds great! While surround theaters are great, you can get a lot of enjoyment out of 2 channel setups for television and movies.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from LargemouthAss:

You COULD get a pair of active speakers and run RCA cables from the output on your TV to the active speakers but I do not see a benefit to doing this. I have a full surround setup in my theater/bar area but for my living room setup I use a vintage Marantz 2235B that I had lying around connected to a nice set of bookshelf speakers. It sounds great! While surround theaters are great, you can get a lot of enjoyment out of 2 channel setups for television and movies.

I'm thinking a set of Polk Audio Signature s55 towers and a reciever to power them. Pretty much after your suggestion, so thank you for that not sure what kind of receiver yet, thinking something Pioneer or Yamaha, since they tend to be respectable in the everyday market.

#22 3 years ago

Wow, you guys have some killer stuff -

I have a Polk Audio surround, upgraded the front speakers to towers a few years ago, 1,100 watt Denon 7.1 receiver. Polk sub is on the fritz so I'm borrowing one from a game in the basement. 65" Samsung 4k, PS4 for Blu ray etc.

Hi Jared!

20210113_095259 (resized).jpg20210113_095259 (resized).jpg
#23 3 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Wow, you guys have some killer stuff -
I have a Polk Audio surround, upgraded the front speakers to towers a few years ago, 1,100 watt Denon 7.1 receiver. Polk sub is on the fritz so I'm borrowing one from a game in the basement. 65" Samsung 4k, PS4 for Blu ray etc.
Hi Jared![quoted image]

Nice setup Don! Those Pol towers look slick. Is that a candy machine on the left?

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Nice setup Don! Those Pol towers look slick. Is that a candy machine on the left?

Is that you I just saw on AVSforum in the LG HU810P thread?

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Is that you I just saw on AVSforum in the LG HU810P thread?

Lol maybe. The LG U810P does look nice but is missing a few key features I need in a projector. What do you think?

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Lol maybe. The LG U810P does look nice but is missing a few key features I need in a projector. What do you think?

I think I’m not of fan of dimming lamps, so the laser light engine appeals to me. Also, I have a cave with a grey screen so I’m not worried about black levels too much. I just need a projector with some punch.

Truth is, anything is probably going to amaze me as I’ll be replacing a 14 year old 720p Panasonic.

I’m getting to LG so I’ll share my thoughts in a couple weeks, hopefully.

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

I think I’m not of fan of dimming lamps, so the laser light engine appeals to me. Also, I have a cave with a grey screen so I’m not worried about black levels too much. I just need a projector with some punch.
Truth is, anything is probably going to amaze me as I’ll be replacing a 14 year old 720p Panasonic.

Quoted from alveolus:

Yeah that will be a huge upgrade, looking forward to reading your thoughts on the LG. I've heard great things about the grey screens! I just finished installing a Silver Ticket 125" 2.35.1 grey high contrast screen. I haven't projected anything yet on it with the Epson 5050ub as still setting everything up. This is one of the reasons I need lens memory as its makes switching between 16x9 and 2.35.1 movies to be an automated process.

20210113_221610 (resized).jpg20210113_221610 (resized).jpg

Please ignore all the beer below the projector lol, still moving stuff around.

20210114_231537 (resized).jpg20210114_231537 (resized).jpg

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah that will be a huge upgrade, looking forward to reading your thoughts on the LG. I've heard great things about the grey screens! I just finished installing a Silver Ticket 125" 2.35.1 grey high contrast screen. I haven't projected anything yet on it with the Epson 5050ub as still setting everything up. This is one of the reasons I need lens memory as its makes switching between 16x9 and 2.35.1 movies to be an automated process.
[quoted image]
Please ignore all the beer below the projector lol, still moving stuff around.
[quoted image]

Looks nice! I’ve often thought about upgrading my screen. I’ve just never been convinced of the benefits.

#29 3 years ago

Been wanting to build mine - but too many Pins taking up the space! Thinking about downsizing just to make it happen - will be following this thread!

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Looks nice! I’ve often thought about upgrading my screen. I’ve just never been convinced of the benefits.

Thanks. Oh just a heads up with LG projector, make sure your existing HDMI cables support 4K HDR @ 60hz with 4:4:4 color support. I just ran into this issue with the Epson, my older HDMI cables from 2013 don't support features of the projector.

These are the ones I ordered, doesn't support 4k @120hz but perfect for 4k@60hz.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B075LYSP7Y/ref=ya_aw_od_pi

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Thanks. Oh just a heads up with LG projector, make sure your existing HDMI cables support 4K HDR @ 60hz with 4:4:4 color support. I just ran into this issue with the Epson, my older HDMI cables from 2013 don't support features of the projector.
These are the ones I ordered, doesn't support 4k @120hz but perfect for 4k@60hz.
amazon.com link »

Thanks for the advice. I did just buy new cables, as well as a new 4K capable receiver. Here are the cables I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S1BNM7K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Thanks for the advice. I did just buy new cables, as well as a new 4K capable receiver. Here are the cables I bought: amazon.com link »

The Zeskit cables are great! Works well with HDMI 2.1 features, have one hooked up to an LG CX and a 3080 for PC gaming. I wish they sold the same cable in a 35ft version, would have grabbed that instead of the one I posted above.

2 weeks later
#33 3 years ago

Well, I set up my new LG HU810P and of course the upgrade to 4K from my ancient 720p projector was astounding. My family was amazed. For bright content it truly is like having a 120” flat screen TV. I can’t explain how impressive Mulan looked.

Dark content is a bit disappointing on the other hand. Having a negative gain screen likely helps but the shadow detail is not nearly as impressive compared with the pop of bright content.

My son plays Fortnite and hasn’t noticed any lag with Game mode. PS4 content looks pretty incredible. (still looking for a PS5)

I’m guessing a true videophile would prefer the Epson 5050, but The clincher for me is the peace of mind knowing that my projector isn’t going to be dimmer every time I turn it on.

#34 3 years ago

Here’s my ghetto fabulous setup. A lot of it is old and outdated, but it still provides a great at home experience for watching movies and doubles as a backyard theatre too. Outside I have a cheap pop up screen, and then use a PlayStation 3 and computer speakers for a portable setup. Inside I’m just using a wall that’s painted white but have thought about getting a better screen. I just finished digitizing all of my DVD’s and bluRay’s (about 400) onto a 4TB hard drive in my desktop PC. The software I use to stream this content is called Plex. There’s a one time fee to access all your content on all your devices. Through Plex can access all my home videos, music, and photos as well as tv and movies. Eventually I’d like to get a Raid NAS.

Connected to my system I have an Apple tv4k to stream content, and a PS3 for disk movies. I also have a collection of old game consoles running too.

My projector is pretty old, and I’ve had to replace the bulb once. My next projector will be 4K HDR, but it will be a while before I need to upgrade it. C2A01A32-3712-401A-BF09-8B8ACD7F8BAE (resized).jpegC2A01A32-3712-401A-BF09-8B8ACD7F8BAE (resized).jpeg
https://www.projectorcentral.com/ViewSonic-PJ552.htm

My Amp is also getting pretty old, it still works great for 1080 video, but once I switch to 4K it will need to be updated too. 3D875B86-AF2E-4AB9-9BFB-1E2270D07666 (resized).jpeg3D875B86-AF2E-4AB9-9BFB-1E2270D07666 (resized).jpeg
https://www.cnet.com/products/yamaha-htr-6160/specs/

These Polk Audio speakers sound good enough for me. I have them set up in a 9.1 configuration kinda like this.2E2132AF-3A54-4027-8888-A8B354EF3D35 (resized).png2E2132AF-3A54-4027-8888-A8B354EF3D35 (resized).png
They fill the room nicely and provide way more sound then my room requires.F166FA2F-92A5-4717-90A2-1CC8378337DD (resized).jpegF166FA2F-92A5-4717-90A2-1CC8378337DD (resized).jpeg
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-Bm2KKcalBFK/p_107RM101/Polk-Audio-RM101-Pewter.html

52C62A1D-A4ED-4542-8893-C861F2B89944 (resized).jpeg52C62A1D-A4ED-4542-8893-C861F2B89944 (resized).jpeg

#35 3 years ago

Old school 1080P with plasma TV setup:

http://www.xsvtoys.net/HomeTheater.html

There is going to be an interior repaint this year, so this TV will have to come off the wall for that. I may replace it with a bigger 4k LED or OLED.

#36 3 years ago

Here's a plasma system I installed years ago, actually it was the second wall in that location only a few months apart as the the head of Disney walked onto the brand new set and said "I don't like it get rid of it". A complete redesign of the whole set. View build (resized).JPGView build (resized).JPGview-abc-er-190422_hpMain_4x3_992 (1) (resized).jpgview-abc-er-190422_hpMain_4x3_992 (1) (resized).jpg
This week I'm building speakers from Parts Express for a "home theater" install at our local library. Cnote Speakers (resized).JPGCnote Speakers (resized).JPGThe leg in the upper right hand corner is attached to Swords of Fury.

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I've heard great things about the grey screens!

This is a Supernova screen I installed in the same room The Green Mountain Boys https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Mountain_Boys used to hang out. This screen was amazing. Image on Supernova  (resized).JPGImage on Supernova (resized).JPG

#38 3 years ago

Harman Audio has their semi-regular holiday sale going on their Infinity Reference line of speakers -- most are all-time low prices (or tied for it): https://www.harmanaudio.com/infinity/

And here's a Slickdeals post with more details/discussion of the sale: https://slickdeals.net/f/14810641-infinity-reference-speakers-rc263-center-150-r162-bookshelf-pair-160-more-free-s-h

I'm finally upgrading my old Onkyo HT-R530 home-theater-in-a-box with new Infinity R253 towers ($169/pc on sale) and an RC252 center ($99) -- the RC263 center is only $50 more and is supposed to be truly awesome for the price, but it's too damned big to fit in my console. Of course these are relatively "basic" speakers by the standards of some of the setups in this thread, but from what I've read it's hard to beat Infinity Reference if you're in the < $1,000/pair speaker market.

#39 3 years ago

I’m in the process of building a home theater as well 29x19x11’6”

I’m calling it The Over-Budget Bunker.

My second theater, this one’s serious.

Nice to see a theater thread on the forum.
33952A26-A720-4AF7-9C03-0400D684E4B3 (resized).jpeg33952A26-A720-4AF7-9C03-0400D684E4B3 (resized).jpeg DB82DC81-0BB3-43A7-A867-80A7F129C060 (resized).jpegDB82DC81-0BB3-43A7-A867-80A7F129C060 (resized).jpeg

214D0993-C61A-45F0-B97C-550869B7A85D (resized).png214D0993-C61A-45F0-B97C-550869B7A85D (resized).png6119F8FF-B897-4AA6-9C3B-3FEEED13EC6A (resized).png6119F8FF-B897-4AA6-9C3B-3FEEED13EC6A (resized).png
#40 3 years ago

VERY impressive design work there. What are you running for projector specs?

Anybody have film setups in their home theater? I'm a big fan of seeing 16mm prints and used to have really unique access to a huge library of rare art prints and what not when I was in college. I used to rent out one of their theater spaces, rent like 5-6 prints and a nice projector and just bring a 30 rack and split it with 5-6 friends. We'd all take turns projecting a print and being in the audience and what not. Super fun. I miss those spaces and places.

#41 3 years ago

Here’s mine. Its definitely a hybrid and maybe the only of its kind.

Everyone told us an open concept theater/bar/arcade/ entertaining room wouldn’t work. But guess what? It’s flipping perfect!

8BDB2A26-03B2-443A-9ECB-BC9D19520E44 (resized).jpeg8BDB2A26-03B2-443A-9ECB-BC9D19520E44 (resized).jpegFADF9B08-DC58-42DC-89FC-FB8CEDF3490D (resized).jpegFADF9B08-DC58-42DC-89FC-FB8CEDF3490D (resized).jpeg

2EA4D63D-CD5A-4D50-AC1B-AAA087765F38 (resized).jpeg2EA4D63D-CD5A-4D50-AC1B-AAA087765F38 (resized).jpeg

Epson 6050UB
135" silver ticket screen
5.1.2 Klipsch RP series with atmos
15" SPL-150 sub

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from Purdue:

Everyone told us an open concept theater/bar/arcade/ entertaining room wouldn’t work. But guess what? It’s flipping perfect!

Glad it works for you! I wouldn't be able to live without the light separation of those spaces/rear surrounds being so far out of alignment. Those Epson projectors are nice though. How do you deal with the blacks not existing from your projection when you have other light sources in the same room?

I'm a big fan of projection over screen, but the space has to facilitate it.

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Glad it works for you! I wouldn't be able to live without the light separation of those spaces/rear surrounds being so far out of alignment. Those Epson projectors are nice though. How do you deal with the blacks not existing from your projection when you have other light sources in the same room?
I'm a big fan of projection over screen, but the space has to facilitate it.

Well, for movie night, its easy. Turn the lights off and and the picture quality blows you away. No different than a theater room really, with the dark ceiling in there. The side surrounds really aren't out of alignment. They are both at ear level, the one side is about 16" further from center than the other. This is easily adjusted with the Dennon Audyssey calibration. The fronts have atmos up firing, in place of rear surrounds. I was actually advised to go with (2) 15" subs due to the room size. I started with one and holy cow. It feels like you're in the club if you want it to, not sure on ear how anyone could justify 2.

For partys, sports, etc. -where lots of people/ stuff is going on in the room. We turn the wafer lights off on that zone and bump the projector brightness up to medium. These new projectors have come a long way from what people are used to seeing at Buffalo Wild Wings. Yes for parties, the blacks are washed out a bit. But the sheer picture size makes up for it. I actually originally considered an 85"LED Tv. Glad a went this way in the end. Way more wow.

Besides, there's a 55 LG OLED in the bar for those with discriminating tastes. LOL

#44 3 years ago

Id really like to get started with an unraid build but I am having an issue on where to start. Right now I have 2 machines - one for DLs and one for running plex. Nothing fancy about these Windows 10 boxes. I have a 4 bay Synology running raid. I have had this set up a long time and would like to build from new.

Anyone have links to good guides to get started?

#45 3 years ago

I’m a huge home theater fan! I actually co-own a website dedicated to home theater and AV (AVNirvana.com). Of course, you guys are welcome to hang there... would be awesome to have you show off your systems in our AV Showcase section.

I currently run a 7.4.8 system... 105” 2.35: 1 screen, JVC RS2000 4K PJ, StormAudio ISP MK2 processor, and all kinds of goodies.

For you guys looking to run 4K HDR on a projector, I suggest the Panasonic 820 or 9000 4KBD player. It’s onboard tone mapping is a must for PJs.

1834BAD6-60AE-43E6-BF2D-FA398357756D (resized).jpeg1834BAD6-60AE-43E6-BF2D-FA398357756D (resized).jpeg87843AAD-D38F-4691-B69E-960657C06781 (resized).jpeg87843AAD-D38F-4691-B69E-960657C06781 (resized).jpeg8C5F1A92-3A6C-4BC1-AA08-6E3954023DF1 (resized).jpeg8C5F1A92-3A6C-4BC1-AA08-6E3954023DF1 (resized).jpeg

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from Purdue:

Besides, there's a 55 LG OLED in the bar for those with discriminating tastes. LOL

VERY nice. I've been wanting to check out one of those OLED screens at some point.

I guess the photo just makes the right surround look 10 feet farther away than the left.

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

VERY nice. I've been wanting to check out one of those OLED screens at some point.
I guess the photo just makes the right surround look 10 feet farther away than the left.

Thanks, ya the photo makes it look worse than it is!

You should check out the LG OLEDs. I was skeptical, but it blows away our samsung LED. Blacks are absolute black, it's really impressive!

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from PinPickle:

I’m in the process of building a home theater as well 29x19x11’6”
I’m calling it The Over-Budget Bunker.
My second theater, this one’s serious.

You need a build thread.

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

VERY impressive design work there. What are you running for projector specs?

Thank you.

Projector setup will be as follows:
JVC DLA-RS4500 with a Lumagen Pro and a Panamorph lens. Screen will be 150” wide 2:40;1 aspect ratio.

I will have a projector/component room behind my theater with a projector window in the back wall in the back wall.

Theater framing starts in 2 weeks.

#50 3 years ago

When I built the theater room back around 2011, I tried to get the best bang for the buck. Honestly, I couldn't be happier even 10 years later.

The fancy screen? I read an article when a couple of AV guys tried to duplicate the performance of a fairly expensive screen with simple paint. After many iterations, they found a particular a Sherwin Williams white trim paint was spot on. So my screen is literally the wall w/white trim paint. Trim boards usually have a lot of edges, rounded attributes, etc., so trim paint settles longer than regular paint, providing a smoother finish - perfect for a screen. The border is pine 1x4's wrapped in velveteen. Granted, the screen won't have any gain, so I made sure the projector could throw a fair amount of light. Plus we usually only watch at night, so not an issue. The most expensive part of the screen? The stupid velveteen wrapped around the 1x4's at $75! Paint was maybe $40 total for two cans. I also added some Floetrol paint addictive, which makes the paint take even longer to settle out. Link to the article: https://www.projectorcentral.com/paint_perfect_screen_$100.htm

The projector: I bought a refurbished 8350 directly from Epson. 1080p, 50K contrast and 2K lumens brightness. Exceptional performance at the time, good price and 1 year warranty. Still chugging along to this day. Eventually it will be replaced w/a 4K projector since they are getting cheaper. But even at 1080p, and with a decent source material like a Blu-ray...still incredibly impressive. The HDMI cable run between the Rx and projector is version 1.2 (latest at the time), so that might be an issue whenever I switch to 4K.

The receiver: Continuing the 'reduced cost' theme, I bought a new but discontinued Yamaha RX-V671 at 1/2 off the price. Lot's of power, 7.1, and a bunch of DSP crap I'll never use. The center channel developed an issue not long ago, so it has been recently upgraded with a newer model that supports 4K. All the streamers and the receiver are stashed in the bar, out of sight.

7.1 Speakers: Hard to beat Monoprice for exceptional quality at very reasonable prices. I'm not an audiophile, and my ears gave up anything above ~15KHz decades ago. Four 12" active subs, provide enough bass to rattle everything in the basement. I think the in-wall speaker (2 way, 8" woofer, soft dome tweeter) were only around $50-60 a pair (I have front, side, rear). The active subs were ~$80 each w/shipping when on sale. Originally started w/2 subs. But if 2 were good, 4 must be better, right? I also use 8" Monoprice subs on the pins.

Interesting side note: Of course this was set up to watch movies - but surprisingly, watching a concert or music videos is what I do most often.

Notice the bike in the picture? Wife rides that in the winter time indoors. By using a gizmo attached to the tire, an app, and a Bluetooth link - she rides as a 'person' on the big screen, along w/other people via their app at the same time. Kind of neat.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-home-theater-club?hl=dblm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.