Bob Marley (resized).jpg
20161221_105233 (resized).jpg
20161221_105225 (resized).jpg
20161221_105149 (resized).jpg
20161221_105135 (resized).jpg
20161221_105109 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Welcome!

I wanted to start this thread so Pinsiders could discuss what kind of music they listen to and how they listen to it. For example, I buy all my music on CD and listen to them through a stereo system I set up months ago. My setup is a Onkyo C-7030 CD Player, a Onkyo TX-38 Stereo Receiver, and a pair of JBL G300 speakers. The only new piece of equipment in my system is the CD player. The stereo receiver was a hand me down from my grandfather and the speakers were given to me from my dad. The receiver was made in 1985 and was bought in '87 for around $900. It sounds great! I personally believe receivers made in the 80's are better than anything companies put out today. The speakers were made in '97 and bought for $300 but are not exactly special. They still sound awesome and get the job done. I think that Compact Discs are the best format of music for listening. Plus, I can rip all my CDs into mp3s so I can listen to my music on my phone. In terms of music taste, I mainly listen to Rock, Reggae, and Metal. My favorite musician of all time is Bob Marley and if I had to go with a favorite band it would be Van Halen. Be happy to share you music taste and setups below!

Austin

20161221_105109 (resized).jpg20161221_105109 (resized).jpg

20161221_105135 (resized).jpg20161221_105135 (resized).jpg

20161221_105149 (resized).jpg20161221_105149 (resized).jpg

20161221_105225 (resized).jpg20161221_105225 (resized).jpg

20161221_105233 (resized).jpg20161221_105233 (resized).jpg

Bob Marley (resized).jpgBob Marley (resized).jpg

Van Halen (resized).jpgVan Halen (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Okay, I'll jump in. I've got a Denon receiver paired to a 7.1 surround Onkyo speaker system. It sounds phenomenal. I took it a step further and added Apple TV, so I can stream music from the collections on any laptop, desktop, iPhone, iPod or iPad in the house connected to the home sharing. Plus I can run video from my laptop thru the Apple TV and into my LG Plasma TV. HDMI / Optical cables all throughout. And there's also an Apple Airport Express router hooked to another set of fancy light up water fountain speakers, just for looks really. In addition to all that, the Remote app on my phone controls the playlist, volume, and which sets of speakers are on (apple tv or airport express or both), and what volume the speakers play at. Now I can just take the airport express down to the garage or arcade stereo, hook it to that, and stream music down there as well.

#3 7 years ago

Awesome thread! Near and dear to my heart as I own a Audio Video company. In my house theater area consists Classe, B&W, Jl, Stewart Flimscreen, & Sony 4K Projector. MultiRoom whole house audio is B&W & Control4. Outdoor sound system by Sonance and Sony TV. Bathroom mirror TV by Seura. Whole house automation, security, Cameras, lighting, Video system, thermostats, Deadbolts automated by Control4. Love this stuff!! Love almost all music and open to new music. Listen to music on Sony Hi-Res player,CD, and Vinyl.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from BladeFury:

Awesome thread! Near and dear to my heart as I own a Audio Video company. In my house theater area consists Classe, B&W, Jl, Stewart Flimscreen, & Sony 4K Projector. MultiRoom whole house audio is B&W & Control4. Outdoor sound system by Sonance and Sony TV. Bathroom mirror TV by Seura. Whole house automation, security, Cameras, lighting, Video system, thermostats, Deadbolts automated by Control4. Love this stuff!! Love almost all music and open to new music. Listen to music on Sony Hi-Res player,CD, and Vinyl.

BladeFury Nice! How's business doing? I know a lot of people just stick with mp3s and cheap earbuds or headphones these days.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

Okay, I'll jump in. I've got a Denon receiver paired to a 7.1 surround Onkyo speaker system. It sounds phenomenal. I took it a step further and added Apple TV, so I can stream music from the collections on any laptop, desktop, iPhone, iPod or iPad in the house connected to the home sharing. Plus I can run video from my laptop thru the Apple TV and into my LG Plasma TV. HDMI / Optical cables all throughout. And there's also an Apple Airport Express router hooked to another set of fancy light up water fountain speakers, just for looks really. In addition to all that, the Remote app on my phone controls the playlist, volume, and which sets of speakers are on (apple tv or airport express or both), and what volume the speakers play at. Now I can just take the airport express down to the garage or arcade stereo, hook it to that, and stream music down there as well.

sevenrites Denon is a great brand imo. It sounds like the Apple TV is quite convenient. I ordered a 3.5mm to RCA audio cable from Amazon not too long ago. I bought it to connect the monitor which only has a aux audio output to my stereo receiver. I use the monitor for my Playstation 4 which I also use to stream movies and TV. The cable is also nice for connecting my phone if I want to play songs off of Youtube and what not.

#6 7 years ago

Yeah, those 3.5mm to RCA cables were my mainstay for so many years on all of the old systems I've had... When the iPod first came out was when I realized how bad I needed them. I probably bought 10 sets of those over the years. Kind of reminds me of the days of the Sony discman, and having to get that cassette tape adapter to connect it to my stereo. And the skipping... Haha! I am definitely very pleased with the Denon. I've had Jensen, JVC, Pioneer, Sony and similar so the Denon was a significant increase in price from what I was used to spending but I'll never look back on that decision. Spent a lot of hours honing in on that part of it, and just as many trying to decide between Bose and Onkyo, but it seemed Onkyo just had a bit more for the money. The whole Apple router / tv setup is super convenient. My next steps are going to be along the lines of what BladeFury has done in terms of automation of the home. And he's got me wondering about the bathroom mirror TV, never knew they existed!

#7 7 years ago

I've got this on most of the time now.

201 (resized).png201 (resized).png

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I've got this on most of the time now.

Glad someone mentioned radio in the thread. I don't listen to radio myself but I know a lot of people still like listening to it and it is also a great medium for discovering new music.

#9 7 years ago

I had satellite radio for the longest time and it allowed me to experience many different styles of music before I finally settled on alternative rock. The local station above plays pretty much the same stuff so I stopped paying for satellite. That music relaxes and motivates me at the same time.

#10 7 years ago

OK, here is my setup;

Yamaha Amp
Sony Blu Ray for Disc Playing
Klipsch Bookshelf Speakers
Audio Control for Eq
Windham Hill for Music Preference

1 week later
#11 7 years ago

bump (ignore)

#12 7 years ago

Here's my home audio set-up:

Pioneer Elite SC-09TX AVR
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD BluRay
Polk Audio SRT Signature Reference Theater 10.2 (SRT x 2) speakers (Matthew Polk's ultimate flagship system very rare + awesome!)
Dual Polk Audio SRT SDA control centers with remotes
Custom-built HTPC with Addonics Hot-Swapable RAID tower

Total system power: 3,000 watts

#13 7 years ago

I considered getting some basic Polk bookshelf speakers when I first got into stereo systems. I decided to stick with the JBL G300s because they were much larger and I already had them available to me.

#14 7 years ago

I moved away from all that hardware, and got a Sonos sound bar, a couple Sonos 1, a Sonos 5 for my man cave, and a couple Sonos 3s for the deck, and bedroom. It's great. I can control it from my phone, have access to basically all music via streaming, and can either group them up to play the same music, or have them each playing whatever if my wife has her friends over and the husbands are hanging out in the man cave. For me it is the perfect sound solution.

#15 7 years ago

I'm a part of the Sonos club too, since Christmas of 2014. I've been a mobile and bar DJ on the side for 20 years and my weekly and monthly music & video subscriptions has turned into a gigantic collection over the years. I have 5 Sonos I its all throughout the house, and all music is played from my local media server, no streaming. My music collection is well over a million songs.

In my basement where the arcade is at, I just recently completed my touchscreen jukebox, which is running Jukebox Jockey which is super simple for my friends and guests to use. I have video out going into a 50" TV mounted from the ceiling and the audio is running into one of my 15" DJ speakers. The software is linked to my music video database which is over 20,000 videos. Everyone enjoys watching and reminiscing over the old music videos that come on.

#16 7 years ago

I'm working on setting up my Dads old onkyo tx-2500 mkII with a pair of RTR exp-8s in the rec room. And connect my wolfson iPod. I think it'll give me the warm 70s sound I like. Maybe leave albums leaning up against furniture for effect.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from Onevox:

I'm working on setting up my Dads old onkyo tx-2500 mkII with a pair of RTR exp-8s in the rec room. And connect my wolfson iPod. I think it'll give me the warm 70s sound I like. Maybe leave albums leaning up against furniture for effect.

Onevox Sounds like a great idea. I love looking at album art/covers even though I don't use vinyl myself.

#18 7 years ago

bumped

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from AVH7401:

Welcome!
I wanted to start this thread so Pinsiders could discuss what kind of music they listen to and how they listen to it. For example, I buy all my music on CD and listen to them through a stereo system I set up months ago. My setup is a Onkyo C-7030 CD Player, a Onkyo TX-38 Stereo Receiver, and a pair of JBL G300 speakers. The only new piece of equipment in my system is the CD player. The stereo receiver was a hand me down from my grandfather and the speakers were given to me from my dad. The receiver was made in 1985 and was bought in '87 for around $900. It sounds great! I personally believe receivers made in the 80's are better than anything companies put out today. The speakers were made in '97 and bought for $300 but are not exactly special. They still sound awesome and get the job done. I think that Compact Discs are the best format of music for listening. Plus, I can rip all my CDs into mp3s so I can listen to my music on my phone. In terms of music taste, I mainly listen to Rock, Reggae, and Metal. My favorite musician of all time is Bob Marley and if I had to go with a favorite band it would be Van Halen. Be happy to share you music taste and setups below!
Austin

The vacuum cleaner called and wants all its dust back

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

The vacuum cleaner called and wants all its dust back

Pinballerchef I'm not sure if you are making a joke on how old my stuff is but don't get me started on how often I have to wipe off each unit.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from AVH7401:

pinballerchef I'm not sure if you are making a joke on how old my stuff is but don't get me started on how often I have to wipe off each unit.

I was making a joke on the layer of dust on the shelves everything is sitting on in those pics...you don't see it?! Haha

#22 7 years ago

Does anyone know how much an old pair of Klipsch cornwalls are worth on the used maeket? I bought them in 1985 for 1500, and they are now selling new I seen for 4,000 plus. Same exact speaker as far as I can tell. Anyone who knows these speakers knows that they kick Ass!

#23 7 years ago

anyone tried connecting one of these to early 80s Bally titles?
https://www.svsound.com/products/pb16-ultra

:p

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

I was making a joke on the layer of dust on the shelves everything is sitting on in those pics...you don't see it?! Haha

Pinballerchef Yeah, that's what I thought. Essentially, my room is dustier than some people's attics sadly

#25 7 years ago

Who-Dey I don't know of or have heard these speakers but I have seen second hand cornwalls on ebay averaging at around $2,500

#26 7 years ago

Bought my system back in late 80's, early 90's when I was building my house. Made the change from vinyl to cd and regretted getting rid of my albums and turntable a few years after. I am happy with what I have and my cd collection is at about 3,000 keepers and am currently selling off about a 400 discs. Rock, progressive, metal, some bluegrass and classical, etc. is what I listen to. Quit listening to the radio about 30 years ago. My system consists of:
Rotel power amp RB-981
Rotel stereo control amp RC-972
Rotel stereo compact disc player RCD-971
Speakers are JM Labs towers
Senheiser Ovasion II HD 560 headphones

Love the Rotel stuff, best I've owned. Speakers could use a separate base unit, just a tad light in that department, but sound beautiful. Senheisers are sweet, but don't get much use these days.

At the moment, Porcupine Tree/Steve Wilson, Gomez (love UK bands) and Steppin Stones (Hilton Head, South Carolina band) are on rotation a lot.

I have my old Bose 601's hooked to my Sony tv, sound ok.
Been to about 500 concerts since 1973, love my music.
Rock on

3 weeks later
#27 7 years ago

Here are my Polk SRT (Signature Reference Theater) speakers. Only 500 sets made in 1996 (250 were sold in the US and the other 250 were exported). I have two of the 500 sets.

The ultimate flagship Matthew Polk ever produced that cost over $10,000 each in 1996. Polk has never produced a flagship like these since.

Powered subs with satellites rated at 1,000 watts each. The advertising slogan back then was "Performance Without Limitations".

They came with SDA control centers (Stereo Dimensional Array) and remotes. They also included sound pressure meters and have a warning label that stating to use extreme caution because they are capable of sound levels that can cause permanent hearing loss. Definitely not the kind of speakers you'd want a kid to have.

I just had both sets of subwoofers refurbished by Polk and replaced the electrolytic capacitors on the amps. Needless to say, these bad boys kick some serious azz and will literally blow your face off!

I power the satellites with my 1400 watt 10.2 Pioneer Elite SC-09TX AVR. I also have a HTPC with an Addonics server with over 20 TB of FLAC music and about that amount of video too. I might eventually invest in some additional amplification but the system is more than adequate as-is.

I'm having a custom TV cabinet and separate audio rack made that will hold two SRT center speakers and a 70-80 inch TV (the TV in the picture is a 60").

SRT Ad (resized).jpgSRT Ad (resized).jpg

IMG_9165 (resized).JPGIMG_9165 (resized).JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-home-audio-music-listening-club and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.