image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_5339 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5340 (resized).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-02-29 at 20.43.40_b9a2c7eb (resized).jpg
104128260_10103386995236597_269874850723770498_n (resized).jpg
20240206_184407 (resized).jpg
20240206_184418 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#100 3 years ago

Been playing a TON since this started. In fact the only thing I’ve had shipped are 3 dozen picks and a couple set of string.

I honestly hadn’t touched this in a couple years, so that’s one good thing about all this, at least for me if not my neighbors. My calluses are pretty much back now too.

390FDA9D-4D7B-44EC-AF85-6F09EE656275 (resized).jpeg390FDA9D-4D7B-44EC-AF85-6F09EE656275 (resized).jpeg
#107 3 years ago

That les Paul rip-off is so cool, especially the panel. Reminds of the professional or recording or whatever they called it.

1 week later
#151 3 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Is that a real 1959 Les Paul?

He must mean the Jr.!

#155 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

Ha ha was purposely vague to see who is paying attention . YES IT IS A REAL 1959 LES PAUL...…. junior....
(the other Gibson is a 2014 R8)

Still a cool guitar. Just not worth as much as a house.

#163 3 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Everyone is sharing their guitar collections, which is very nice and cool;
I appreciate the talent it takes to play the guitar, (a talent I do not possess in the least.)
But the topic title says needs more vid;
so who is going to be brave and bold enough to post some youtube video
of you jamming and shredding and rocking out.
I think only one pinsider has shared video of them playing so far.

Here I am a few weeks ago getting reacquainted with the guitar I hadn’t touched in a couple years. Rusty. Painful blisters. But I’m back baby!

#186 3 years ago

Just bought this 1970 SG today, totally psyched, should have it in a few days.

Also I’m doing a livestream on Saturday showcasing me rocking out for 15-20 minutes. I know you all are starved for entertainment.

Not sure if I’ll do Facebook live or YouTube...what’s easier? People have to be my Facebook friends to view a live stream?

Help! I’m old!

7DC5CAC4-3AF0-4AEA-A21B-B0E1C1A465B0 (resized).jpeg7DC5CAC4-3AF0-4AEA-A21B-B0E1C1A465B0 (resized).jpegC6A70EEB-E21D-4EE3-9E0C-480F08BE8844 (resized).jpegC6A70EEB-E21D-4EE3-9E0C-480F08BE8844 (resized).jpegEDE0612A-87CB-4084-A461-1E0185830F88 (resized).jpegEDE0612A-87CB-4084-A461-1E0185830F88 (resized).jpeg
#191 3 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

BTW, what year is that Custom Shop LP of yours?

That's a 2007 I think.

I had a gorgeous - I mean mint - 1979 silverburst custom that I bought in high school for around $550 in 1993.

Sold it for $1200 in 1999 to pay the rent. Thought I was a genius! What are they going for now, like $8,000?

When I had some more money later on I decided to get the Custom Shop one...was maybe a year old when I bought it? DOn't really remember. I think it was around $2,500 on ebay. Honestly the CS one plays better than my old '79 but I never had that '79 properly set up either I don't think.

#193 3 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

Gibson was really putting out some of their best work in the early-mid 2000s.
Yeah, a proper set up makes a lot of difference. I think most Gibsons leave the factory with the nut height a little high, so you have room to dial it in to preference.

Just checked the headstock - yes it’s a 2007.

February?

A2E16F35-C820-4789-854E-221174644B6C (resized).jpegA2E16F35-C820-4789-854E-221174644B6C (resized).jpeg
#194 3 years ago

Anybody watching Covid Aid?

Some entertaining moments.

The Stones killed it playing zoom style. Only complete band to show up, unless you count the creepy three Keith Urbans.

How about elton’s multi cam, tracking rig?! Very impressive.

#199 3 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

I was just watching Ricky Skaggs on the Grand Ole Opry stream. For the last five weeks they have been streaming Saturday night performances on YouTube. It's just the performers (socially distanced on stage) in front of the empty auditorium. There have been some pretty good shows so far.

Cool I will check that out

We are all going to have to figure out how to rock

#202 3 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

YouTube, I don’t have Facebook.

I’m gonna do Facebook as I’ve already been shilling it there. But I’ll try to download the video and put it on YouTube within a day or so.

#207 3 years ago

It’s probably bad luck to post pictures of this thing before it actually shows up...

I love being a newb!!!

6ED0772E-81A8-4196-B4DF-57FE65025838 (resized).jpeg6ED0772E-81A8-4196-B4DF-57FE65025838 (resized).jpegBBA3EF72-6089-4E8A-9412-0E3D80ECE65E (resized).jpegBBA3EF72-6089-4E8A-9412-0E3D80ECE65E (resized).jpegF34EED0C-282A-449C-AA47-B34814834503 (resized).jpegF34EED0C-282A-449C-AA47-B34814834503 (resized).jpeg
#220 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

My brother in law a drummer and i were thinking about the greatest american rock band ever...we had trouble getting past the Allamn brothers. that was our vote. are we missing something? i told him i would check in here

The Ramones

Some might suggest Skynrd, Aerosmith...the Cars?

#225 3 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Grand Funk Railroad.

The wild, shirtless vocals of Mark Farner?! The competent drum work of Don bruer?

#227 3 years ago

Man I love this thing!

Took a little getting used to. Much lower action than the Les Paul, a lot
Less sustain but it’s great for playing nasty sludgy rock. And of course it weighs nothing so it’s fun to throw around and duck walk with.

42CCBDC1-C868-40A0-858D-12F97BC65B3D (resized).jpeg42CCBDC1-C868-40A0-858D-12F97BC65B3D (resized).jpeg782FF906-4F40-4EF9-BACD-55C8AAAF32D1 (resized).jpeg782FF906-4F40-4EF9-BACD-55C8AAAF32D1 (resized).jpeg
#230 3 years ago

Tonight, Saturday April 25, at 9pm, strap in for THE rock event of the weekend! See you here for Crazy Levi’s Three Blocks From Times Square Rockin’ Eve! 20 minutes of non stop Rock (if not roll) delivered straight to your delicate innards! Clean your body and soul, with rock, not Lysol, Tonight!

Can be seen at Never Beef Production’s Facebook page. I’ll also upload it later to YouTube most likely, if my adoring public demands it!

Never Beef Page:
https://m.facebook.com/NeverBeef/?tsid=0.5165905857072737&source=result

#233 3 years ago

Hey gang!

Got 30 minutes to kill? You can see my stream here:

#248 3 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Sweet playing. What kind of amp are you running?
Love that O’s cap too.
Thanks for doing this.</block-quote>

I have a Roland “Cube,” it’s a decent $200 solid state amp with a number of cool effects on it. I would love to have a Marshall or something but living in an apartment I just can’t have something that big and I’d never be able to crank it so it would be pointless.

A lot of people thought I was terrorizing neighbors. Will that may be true, my next door and downstairs neighbors both seem to be riding out the pandemic elsewhere based upon the accumulating mail, and I haven’t had any complaints from whoever lives above me. And I was done by 9:30 on a Saturday night which isn’t unreasonable. Plus I’ve been here 22 years so I kinda feel like I own the place, being surrounded by kids!

Thanks for watching!

#249 3 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

That was awesome. After being quarantined for so long, and turning on my tv and constantly seeing Billie Eilish and Lizzo and the like, I was seriously considering just giving up on life. It was just too depressing to bear. You have brought back my faith in humanity. I feel rejuvenated and happy again after your show. What happened to rock and roll? What happened to it? Please bring it back!

That’s the idea. Pandemic music doesn’t have to be a stationary camera and a piano!

#250 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Don’t forget Gordon Lightfoot , an excellent example would be Canadian railroad trilogy , simple songs like did she mention my name or the haunting wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald.

Sundown!

#255 3 years ago

Awesome thanks for the kind words of rock!

#257 3 years ago

Someone needs a trip on the satellite of love! There’s some great Lou Reed stuff. He was supposedly a legendary asshole but that doesn’t really matter to me.

And I once saw him get into a limo with William Shatner !!!

#266 3 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Hah I've been waiting for you to show up. And you did not disappoint. And that guitar - I can't even. How can such a thing be played? I have no idea.

Only one way to play it.

By rocking balls! (Or ovaries)

#271 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Just showed my broker in Law and we Rocked out. Well done

Thanks man!

May do another one in a couple weeks. Not much else to do here.

#274 3 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

I’ve taken a cue from CrazyLevi’s vintage SG acquisition (sounds and looks great, btw). I have an old Gibson on the way. Maybe I’m just more superstitious than he is, but I just can’t repeat his self described ‘noob’ act of posting pictures before it arrives (After all, what if the headstock broke in transport?!? Oh, the humanity!) All I’ll say at this point is Eisenhower era and P-90. It should be here in a couple of days.

Sounds like a 54 Gold Top is on the way!

#276 3 years ago

You should stick that sticker on something!

Why not your car?

#277 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Good ones Levi...we drank and smoked alot of weed Pondering this question...

Did any of my suggestions come up?

You actually think there are going to be a ton...but when it comes down to it....seems like all the best bands are British.

#280 3 years ago

Hahah awesome. Time for some hobbit rock!!

What are those going for roughly

I’m currently shopping for smoke / laser machines for the best performance.

#282 3 years ago

That p-90 is stock?

Never seen anything like that before.

#286 3 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

That thing is completely useless without a Trem on it! How you gonna dive bomb on that, without one?

I think you just bend the neck.

1 week later
#300 3 years ago

If you guys have no plans on Saturday...oh wait I know you have no plans:

This Saturday night at 9pm Eastern! Rock Fantasy presents Crazy Levi's Corona Crushing Rockfest! Be there as we rock out LIVE without a net. Visit our sponsors www.rockfantasy.com and pinballphotos.com, and get ready for the finest in live entertainment the pandemic public health crisis has to offer. See you there! Live here, on Levi's page, and on the Never Beef Productions page: https://www.facebook.com/NeverBeef/

IMG_1972 (resized).jpgIMG_1972 (resized).jpg
#304 3 years ago

That’s really cool. What’s the story ?

#306 3 years ago

Another block of hard and stinky rock for you...

The next one might not be live the pressure is starting to get to me!

#308 3 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous never seen a 355 like that.

Never played a 355 either. What’s it like?

How come nobody in metal plays one?

#312 3 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

what the hell did i just watch????

You just experienced music for the first time, my friend!

#323 3 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Geez. Apparently you guys don't like jazz-rock fusion.
The ES-335 was the top guitar for jazz-rock musicians like Lee Ritenour and Larry Carlton (also known as Mr. 335) and others.
Which doesn't bode well for me, since all I write and play is instrumental jazz-rock (although I'm a Fender Stratocaster guy).

All I know is Chuck Berry and BBKing probably sold a million 335s for Gibson over the years.

#324 3 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

Thanks, guys. It looks even better in person. The blue ones are pretty hard to find. They've only done a couple of very limited runs of them over the years. I bought mine new in early 2006 (the serial indicates a 2005 build date). I toured the Memphis factory a couple months later and took that picture of the blue one getting finished. It was the only one on the factory floor at the time.
Mine has the 60s slim profile neck, which I've come to really like. I took me a little while to adjust to it, though. Both my SG and Les Paul have the 50s profile (some call it the tree trunk). The larger radius never bothered me, maybe because I play a lot of acoustic. Switching to the slim 335 took a little adjustment, but it really is a sweet, fast player.
Overall, the ES 335 is probably the most versatile electric Gibson makes. It can range from a rich, clean tone full of soul to a screaming howl at will. Really, the only downside is size and weight.

Does it weigh as much or more than your average Les Paul?

#326 3 years ago

That’s light as shit for a Les Paul!

I had a 70s one must have weighed 15 pounds lol

I think my current one is around 12

#329 3 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

$499 in 2004 for a U.S. built Gibson Les Paul with the same Burstbucker pickups as the standard (later ones shipped with the 498/490 combo).
[quoted image]

Great deal and looks nice. I love that they started to put the trap inlays on the studios.

Here's a very good price on a silverburst studio in Jersey. Never heard of an ebony fret board on a studio before:
newjersey.craigslist.org link

1 week later
#337 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

LEVI I have a Covid19 song I want to send to you to help me with a ballad solo towards the end of the song .

Bring it on !!!

1 month later
#353 3 years ago
F708AEDC-B769-499E-AD57-87726C0ECB33 (resized).jpegF708AEDC-B769-499E-AD57-87726C0ECB33 (resized).jpeg
#355 3 years ago

We did another rock block tonight - hope you like it! Got a better mic for the phone makes a big difference:

#357 3 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

That was a lot of TV dinners!

it’s not as bad as it looked we saved up 6 weeks but yeah...I eat 2 or 3 a week for lunch and I have to admit there’s been some 2 am munchie victims.

#362 3 years ago

Nice!
What's going on with that bigsby SG? Is that one of those "tribute" models?

#364 3 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

I've had this amp for more than 20 years and it's been broken the whole time. I just fixed it myself after all this time.
[quoted image]

What was wrong with it and how'd you fix it?

2 weeks later
#379 3 years ago

I take a stab at the Sabbath classic!!

#388 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Now I finally know what NIB stands for. New In Box!

Ha!

Honestly it took me a few years in the hobby to stop thinking sabbath when someone in pinball mentions NiB

1 week later
#410 3 years ago
Quoted from Karl_Hungus:

3 of mine.
[quoted image]

I'm sensing a theme but I can't quite figure it out!

1 month later
1 week later
#418 3 years ago

Getting settled into the new place. Have a nice Little Rock out zone. The antique mandolin is Nancy’s she had it refurbished.

Got a stud finder and still negotiating these plaster walls. I’ll probably just leave it at the mandolin now, it’s only a couple pounds. Don’t think I have the stones to hang the guitars yet.

A52C8A68-0F76-4C3B-AED8-1E7263D9D846 (resized).jpegA52C8A68-0F76-4C3B-AED8-1E7263D9D846 (resized).jpeg
#420 3 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

You gave me grief about “hobbit rock”, but all the while this was under your roof?!? At least my ‘59 has a p-90! But in all seriousness, I’d like to know more about that A-? series Gibson mandolin. Is there a story there?
Also, props for the Alfred E. Neuman, and the BA in English from Clemson (maybe not in that order, but they both encourage critical thinking).

The mandolin belongs to my girlfriend who doesn’t play it. It was passed down from a grandfather I believe. She had it refurbished.

Thought it would look good on the wall and now that I have it tuned it’s fun to dick around with an acoustic instrument!

My critical brain was having serious problems
With the 8 (4?) strings but I’m getting used to it now. And can play smoke on the water.

#424 3 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Dude you know what song to play with the mandolin. There's only one.

Good thinking!

I have a project for today.

"Where the virgins lie..."

#426 3 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

I had all mine on the wall hangers for a while, but no longer after a few untoward accidents. Plus I live in earthquake country anyway. I hate that they take up room on the floor, but that beats the alternative of possible damage from a fall from that height. I am thinking about some possible alternatives, including keeping each one inside a hard case until its time to play.
[quoted image]

What kind of damage did your guitars take falling off a wall?

I just can't keep them in their case or I'll never play them, simple as that. Having them out and ready to play makes me play them.

#428 3 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Some scratches, and one took a pretty big hit to the bottom strap post.
I also had an f-up with the Ibanez recently and got a few nicks in some of the frets. I guess it got banged down onto something right on top of the fretboard Taking it to the shop tomorrow.
I totally agree about having them out. But I do find that I tend to favor one to grab and play. So if I have one out ready to go, that should be good. Actually I have the Strat in the hard case right now, it's still like brand new and I don't want to risk damaging it with my carelessness. All the others are older and have their battle scars already, so I don't mind so much. I have hardly played it, I'm not quite sure what to do with it. I bought it on a whim from that sale Vid posted a while back.
My recent favorite go-to has been the Ibanez. I love playing that thing. It's got 9s, super low action, and is tuned down half a step, Hendrix/EVH/Randy Rhoades style.

Sounds like you did pretty well all things considered.

Pretty sure if my two Gibsons fell off the wall I'd have two broken headstocks!

1 month later
#467 3 years ago

mo' pedals mo' problems

I've played a hundred or so gigs as a drummer and whenever I see that many pedals I know we'll be losing about 2 songs on the setlist to in-set troubleshooting.

1 week later
#515 3 years ago

Great stuff Elvis.

I’d love to collect guitars but would
Feel kinda silly
Since I’m not a regularly gigging not recording musician. Decided I’d hold it at 2 for now.

6F4D0BF6-81AE-469E-A415-0D73C88A0581 (resized).jpeg6F4D0BF6-81AE-469E-A415-0D73C88A0581 (resized).jpeg
#521 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

You are a wise man... I think my entire collection now is worth a few grand.
Whats your SG a late 60s? I had a 68 that sounded killer (and had a fat neck) but had a busted headstock as they tend to do.

It's a 1970, with the volute. No repairs excellent original shape. Awesome guitar, I didn't really understand what "fast neck" meant before I got this one right as the lockdown began. Good timing, prices are up about 25 percent on everything now.

You are probably right; my Les Paul silverburst is a 2007 and it's the best guitar I ever had, way better than the 79 silverburst I bought in high school for $550 and sold 20 years ago for $1500 (I thought I made a killing!). I just really wanted a cool vintage SG.

I did look at some 68s and 69s but didn't think it was worth paying an extra $1,000 or so just get one without a volute. That '65 you had was a beauty! That's probably a $9,000 guitar now?

#525 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

another cool one.. 63 special.
replaced bridge so it actually played in tune unlike every other one on earth.[quoted image]

Pete Towshend special!

I love how he would bend the neck for tremolo effect lol. I tried that a few times on a modern SG SPecial I had but decide it probably wasn't wise.

#528 3 years ago

Thread seems to be doing fine without him.

3 weeks later
#572 3 years ago

Can anybody recommend a good looper pedal? User friendly but also advanced enough to store some loops etc.

I have a total cheapie one now with one button. It was given to me by a friend. Fun to mess around with but I think I’m ready for something a little better and more user friendly.

3 months later
#638 3 years ago

Just bought another guitar that I don't need.

1993 wine red Les Paul standard! Can't wait for it to show up.

Basically buying it for a Zoom background.

Anybody doing the stimulus guitar buy?

#640 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

Not a stimulus guitar but, but just picked up a new Taylor 324ce. I have my eye on a Guild electric as well. Guitars are as addicting as pinball.
[quoted image]

Yes and they take up less room.

Like I said I didn't really need another guitar but shit, lately pinball machines make them seem cheap.

REALLY cheap!

#643 3 years ago

My zoom background about to get a whole
Lot sexier !!!

D5DC360C-1F73-4DD2-9B11-D7810C2077C2 (resized).jpegD5DC360C-1F73-4DD2-9B11-D7810C2077C2 (resized).jpegE4F3D93C-3990-42BA-9772-B1298EF3985F (resized).jpegE4F3D93C-3990-42BA-9772-B1298EF3985F (resized).jpegFD2CFCF1-4253-4CFB-BB18-B9A3701CC936 (resized).jpegFD2CFCF1-4253-4CFB-BB18-B9A3701CC936 (resized).jpeg
#644 3 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

I've had my eye on a '77 tobacco burst Les Paul Special here locally but pinball got in the way of those plans...

Is that in the style of one of those bob Marley guitars?

#648 3 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

It is. I think it would pair nicely with my '76 walnut SG Standard. Perhaps there is still a chance.
[quoted image]

So cool. Never played a p-90 Gibson would
Love to hear what it’s like.

Well I have a bunch of live Who stuff from the late 1960s so think I have an idea !

#651 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I’m doing the “stimulus guitar sell”. Lol
Getting rid of almost everything. Just gathering dust these days.
Anyone over there want a good collectable?
Ibanez Jem 20th Anniversary.
Sort after model, appreciating asset.
If you’re keen, send me a PM and we can talk.
rd[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

WOW!

I think I saw that in a poison video. Crazy looking axe!

#653 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I don’t think CC could play one. The magic of the Jem would ward him off ... never letting his fingers sully the fretboard ... like a mystical musical guardian protecting the world from his out of key solos and fantastic lady-hair.
CC wishes he could play a Jem.
One day, the musical guardians may let him be in the presence of a Jem. Or maybe even .... touch one.
But probably not.
rd

But what is that built in handle for, if not so you can twirl your guitar behind your back whilst pouting into the camera as silver gerbs explode behind you, blending perfectly into the blur of your golden mane as it spirals upward in slow motion?!

#654 3 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

I have some that can fix that perception for you.

For a chuckle I checked out the Les Paul forum...it's as rife with "will the bubble burst?!" threads as this place!!!

You got one of those $250,000 50s burtsts? Or that Gilmour strat that he played the Money solo on?!

#657 3 years ago
Quoted from johnnyutah:

I just snagged fun SG Standard from the Gibson Demo Shop.
[quoted image]

Gorgeous, I used to have an SG special in black, love that look. Put the chrome pickup covers on just doesn't look right without it.

$300 from Airport Music in Buffalo via the internet back in 1999! Sold it to a friend 15 years ago, wish I kept it was a super fun guitar to play.

#659 3 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Find me 3 clean bursts for $250k each and I will buy them all.
The most figured 59s are way closer to 1 Mil than 250k these days.
But finding any burst is cause for celebration. They are truly amazing guitars.

Out of curiosity I looked last year, there were some "low end" ones for $100K or less but they were generally pretty frankenstiened. I think the cheapest was around $80K...he was selling it as the "burst you can gig with" while your nice one sits at home in a vault.

I'm sure there's the same resentment in that community for the big spenders as there is in pinball.

#662 3 years ago

Man dipping into some of these "price bubble threads..."

The bubble has to burst because kids don't like guitars anymore and rock n roll is dead, and when the current generation gets old and dies these axes will all be worthless!!!

Where have I heard that before...every month...I'm sure it'll come to me...

I can only imagine the torturous wet dreams collectors have about finding a '59 burst in some old lady's attic on Craigslist she wants $2,000 for...and the agony of waking up!

#663 3 years ago

If I could have any of these insane collector guitars it would probably be that Gilmour "Black Strat" that sold at auction a couple years ago for $4 million plus fees and taxes. He's probably my favorite guitar player.

While it would insult the rock n roll gods I'd still play it and try and do some pale Floyd solo imitations on it. Would just be so sick!

Purchased at Manny's a couple blocks from my apartment!

If you could have only one, which would it be?!

----
The auction’s centerpiece, the Black Strat, has a unique history, which is why it was so desirable. Gilmour purchased it at the instrument shop Manny’s in New York in May 1970 to replace another Strat that was stolen. Over the years, he made many modifications to it, changing its pickups, switches, inputs, tuners, and neck in the quest for the perfect sound. He played the instrument on nearly all of Pink Floyd’s iconic recordings from 1970 to 1983, including Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals, and The Wall. In the mid Eighties, Fender introduced a new line of Stratocasters and Gilmour picked up the Red Strat, retiring the Black Strat and loaning it to the Hard Rock Cafe. It was displayed in the restaurant chain’s Dallas location until 1997. Gilmour started using it again live for Pink Floyd’s reunion with Roger Waters in 2005 at Live 8. He continued to record with it on his solo albums, but Fender wound up making a replica of it in 2006 that he liked.

“You know something? For me, I can let go of it,” Gilmour told Rolling Stone. “It’s going to bring a lot of people to have a look at this sale, and it’s going to do that job. It’s a lovely guitar. … I did my ‘Comfortably Numb’ solo on it. The notes for the beginning of ‘Shine On You Crazy Diamond’ fell out of it one day. It’s on so much stuff, but Fender have made replica ones that they sell, and I have two or three of those that are absolutely perfect. One of those might be my future guitar of choice or even, horror of horror, maybe I’ll even change the color.”

“I’m both sad with losing some of the instruments and relieved to get this thing dealt with and that it will be doing some good,” Gilmour told Rolling Stone in January. “If I need a particular guitar, I’ll go out and buy another one. They are the tools of my trade. They have given me music, but in the end, they are the tools that I use.”

#674 3 years ago

Some of you guys seem to know your stuff so maybe you can answer...I posted this on the Les Paul forum too:

I impulse bought a 1993 Les Paul standard "Custom Shop Edition" yesterday and it's on the way.

I've had a Les Paul Custom 2007 Silverburst for many years.

My question is do these guitars have any differences that will make this new guitar more than just a cool Zoom background addition (as in, will it sound or play differently based upon build / pickups?)

The new Standard is advertised as having 57 Classic Pickups and a '59 Neck Profile.
I really don't know the official specs on the 2007, but it was bought new so it's stock (sniffing around here I believe it has 498s and a 60s profile, but I bet you guys would know better than I).

What do you think? I know all guitars are a little different but based on the models and makes should I expect a different sound/feel on these? Pics helpfully added for visual aid and drooling opportunities.

B9623542-0678-4F4A-8A02-A5FE4AA16A29 (resized).jpegB9623542-0678-4F4A-8A02-A5FE4AA16A29 (resized).jpegD531AB56-5B97-41F7-A80B-9C45713C9F8B (resized).jpegD531AB56-5B97-41F7-A80B-9C45713C9F8B (resized).jpegFB1AF0F4-2D0C-460A-9E3F-15830745E9E9 (resized).jpegFB1AF0F4-2D0C-460A-9E3F-15830745E9E9 (resized).jpegFDED917D-0557-4F6E-9729-4B8E90202DF3 (resized).jpegFDED917D-0557-4F6E-9729-4B8E90202DF3 (resized).jpeg
#679 3 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

Levi, I bet your Silverburst has Burstbucker Pros, but it could possibly be Burstbucker Type 1 & 2. If it has the 60s slim tapered neck it will be a fast, clean player. Many people call the 50s neck profile 'the tree trunk.' My Les Paul has the Burstbucker Pros and 50s neck, while my ES-335 has the 60s neck and 57s. The two feel very different when playing. I don't mind the thicker 50s neck, but then I play a lot of acoustic, too. I'd say the 57s are just a little hotter, but still a warm tone, while the Burstbuckers have a brighter, cleaner treble.

That's cool, sounds like there will be some differences which I was hoping for.

Just to be clear the SIlverburst I've had since 2008, the 1993 Standard is coming in a couple days.

Are burstbuckers the same thing as 498s?

#682 3 years ago

The new guitar is here and I love it. Plays amazing and looks great on the wall. My babe loves the way it looks which is a huge boom as she's happy to have it up there.

A couple dumb questions about frets:

The new guitar has tiny divots (really small) on the first G and B frets. No issues with play and action is nice and low. Is there a benefit to having these smoothed out or addressed in some fashion now, or should I wait till (if ever) I notice any playing issues?

My SG also has similar divots, maybe a little pronounced. I've noticed a weird buzzy fret/dead fret lately way up the neck on the G string maybe 12 frets up. Wondering if that's due to possible low frets and divots I see.

240BEF73-2DDF-4FB3-94F8-78E9B842CA4F (resized).jpeg240BEF73-2DDF-4FB3-94F8-78E9B842CA4F (resized).jpeg30FC26D3-69A4-408A-AB15-96874A465D02 (resized).jpeg30FC26D3-69A4-408A-AB15-96874A465D02 (resized).jpeg
#689 3 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

Levi, How's the neck feel on the new one compared to your Custom Shop LP?

It feels faster, more like my SG. I was surprised as I thought it would be thicker but this works for me, I really love playing this thing.

I mean, it plays like an SG but sounds like a Les Paul, what's not to love?

Elvis I usually go to 30th street guitar (I think they are actually on 27th street now) but I don't think this guitar needs any work like that now. I guess the question is do you take it in at the first sign of fret wear or wait until it 'needs' it? The divots are really, really tiny. I'm generally an ain't broke don't fix it guy but don't want to cause bigger / more expensive issues down the road.

The SG has a dead fret now so I may bring that in, I'll bring the les paul in also and see what they think.

#693 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

Buy a cool vintage one- I don't want a trem, and I have no attachment to any particular year for an SG. This is probably the least likely scenario but I find it interesting that the vintage SG's are relatively affordable.

I took the SG dive early in the pandemic (1970 standard). Really fun guitars to play, stoney great classic rock sound, light. Very different than Les Pauls.

I think part of the reason they are cheaper (relatively) is they are all the same. They made any color you liked between 1965-1971 I believe, as long as it was "Heritage Cherry." THough some are faded to "walnut." 70s and 80s one start to differ in color...I'm really not a fan of the post-1971-early 80sish SGs. But yeah you can buy a brand new standard for 1500 bucks, and like you said tons of of other recent used options.

I had a black 1999 special for many years and that was a great guitar.

#695 3 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

I've been tempted to do the stimulus spend on a new guitar but I just dont play enough anymore to warrant hanging a Les Paul on the wall, though I've wanted one since I was a kid. Maybe I'll just buy a poster for $20 instead of spending $2000.
Then i started looking at the Charvel DK24s and thought "I could get 2 of those!"
Then reality sets in again - they wouldn't get played.

If you are just looking for a Zoom background wall-hanging you can get a used Les Paul Studio for well under $1,000 these days and some look pretty cool. And they play well; they are Les Pauls!

https://reverb.com/p/gibson-les-paul-studio-1998-2011

#705 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

I dragged my boys into Boston today to see if Guitar Center Fenway was as bad as my 2 local GC's. It still feels like more of a Best Buy with guitars than it does a cool guitar store, but at least they were fully stocked with guitars. Man, I miss the 90's in Boston. GC on Comm Ave was great. I had a buddy that worked there and would hook us up huge. Daddy's Junky Music across from Berklee, Wurlitzer and a bunch of little shops that had great deals on used gear. Anyway, they had a few SG's. The Standard was nice. It didn't blow me away and I consider a guitar on the wall at GC to be basically used. It's likely been in hundreds of peoples hands. This one was pretty dusty with very old strings. I decided to pass and wait for a used one or just have a new one shipped in the box. A friend recommended another guitar shop just outside of the city I had never been to. No SGs, but they had a Gibson Midtown Custom I may need to go back and buy. Are you guys familiar with this model? I've never seen it before today. It's a little bit of an oddball. It's somewhere between a hollowed out Les Paul double cutaway and a flat top 335. They were asking $1500. I really liked it.
[quoted image]

I bought a couple cymbals from Daddy's junky....still have 'em! Zildgian New Beats that were old and had no printing on them, I had a whole set of old cymbals like that.

1 month later
#722 2 years ago

I think it's time to get out of Gibson-land and looking for something cheaper/beater.

What do USA Fender starts start out at? Looking for yer basic classic rock / gilmour sound!

ANybody local want to sell me one?

#725 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Adorama was clearing these USA Strats out @ $750 last week.
https://www.adorama.com/fe0114912384.html[quoted image]

Juicy deal!

Let me know when the next one comes up...

#738 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Yes and No
Some features only come on the USA models, like the Compound Radius Neck (lets you set the strings lower), Bi-flex Truss Rod, Rosewood & ebony fretboards - so you can never upgrade a mexican into a USA equivalent .
You will see things like incomplete shielding, or that no one bothered to set the intonation at the bridge.
Like this one that I bought:
[quoted image]
Also, all the hardware is a little lower quality on the mexicans, all the way down to the oddest things, like the thinner strap pins.
But if you want a **real** Strat or Tele, and you only have $550 to spend, then the Mexicans are a great choice - just don't get the idea that you can slowly upgrade them into a USA facsimile
This weekend Adorama has the Mexican Strats and Teles in Lake Placid Blue for $519 shipped free:
Strat:
https://www.adorama.com/fe0144570002.html?sdtid=15017206&emailprice=t&sterm=UYGXX-1xSxyLUcqwUx0Mo3bvUkB25DXpw2JmWw0&utm_source=rflaid62905
Tele:
https://www.adorama.com/fe0144571002.html?sdtid=15017206&emailprice=t&sterm=UYGXX-1xSxyLUcqwUx0Mo3bvUkB25A09w2JmWw0&utm_source=rflaid62905
[quoted image]

I'd prefer a USA strat just, because.

I like these adorama specials But I'll probably pick up a used strat at the local guitar shop. Unless one of these specials pops up before I head over there in a couple weeks.

1 week later
1 week later
#778 2 years ago

Here’s what I ended up with. Wow it’s cool...first buy from Chuck Levins in Maryland since high school, when I picked up a shiny new TASCAM.

It’a great to get out of the Gibson ghetto and a totally different sound. And I can’t play Crazy Diamond but wow just playing those first 4 notes and it almost sounds like I’m Dave Gilmour!

Also it kind of matches Dio’s couch.

Got a great deal at chuck’s on my first brand new guitar. Buy local!

0FA0F5BA-C7B3-43CC-B0FE-403F38B0A89E (resized).jpeg0FA0F5BA-C7B3-43CC-B0FE-403F38B0A89E (resized).jpeg826F0119-7B43-4B81-AA5F-73A467A6B488 (resized).jpeg826F0119-7B43-4B81-AA5F-73A467A6B488 (resized).jpeg

#780 2 years ago

Yeah it was between that and the tobacco sunburst...sunburst was classy but decided I didn’t need another “Gibson/old instrument color,” if I’m gonna go strat get a cool 50s car color. Glad I did!

#784 2 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

2 new guitars in 2 days! The Midtown is a guitar I've wanted for awhile. I played one I loved at a local music shop and when I decided I needed it, it was already sold. I found this on Facebook, it plays and sounds amazing. I'm pretty pumped.
The SG... I've never owned one. I've been playing guitar for 33 years, I've owned most of the major guitars, I always considered the SG to be a poor mans Les Paul so I never bothered. That was probably a foolish mindset. It needs a setup, and I'm a little concerned it may need some fretwork, but it's awesome. I'm supposed to be working on songs for this weekends gig (first real gig since March 2020) and I can't stop playing AC/DC riffs!
[quoted image]

Sweet!!!

SGs really have little to do with Les Pauls, very different sound and feel. And yeah it probably needs a setup.

#791 2 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Back in 60, they were pretty much the same electronics package dropped into an all mahoganny axe. Necks were essentially dot-necks for carve, almost no heel/tennon when compared to the LP, though.
That said. They scream like a raped ape.

I've never played a '60 so I'll have to take your word for it!

But I've got an SG and a couple Les Pauls and they don't sound or feel to similar to me.

#792 2 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

The Stratocaster had long been called a Strat when Fender introduced a model actually called the Strat at the 1980 NAMM Show. It reverted from the CBS design to a 4-bolt neck and smaller headstock and old-style (non-bullet) truss rod. It added a hot X-1 bridge pickup and a 2-way rotary switch (in place of the second tone control) which created 9 tones total, including 4 new tones:
neck and middle pickups in series – humbucking
middle and bridge pickups in series – humbucking
neck and bridge pickups in parallel
neck and bridge pickups in parallel, with the middle pickup in series
The Strat was offered in Olympic White, Candy Apple Red or Lake Placid Blue (with headstock matching the body color) with 22 carat gold electroplated brass hardware and white pickguard. The hardware was plated with a 100 micron gold coat (the same as fine jewlery) and for that reason it’s rumored that the company lost money on every unit sold (standard gold plating is 0.5 micron thick, while 2.5 microns is considered heavy gold plating). Some very early models are missing the gold tuners (same tuners but in chrome) and the gold plated pickup selector tip because of a delay in parts delivery. The Strat listed for $995 in 1980 ($250 more than a Stratocaster), was raised to $1,095 in 1981 and was priced at $1,150 in 1982 until it was discontinued in early 1983.
Around 1982 Fender added a Walnut Strat version with solid American black walnut body and neck (including fretboard) and black pickguard. As soon as I read about it, I called every guitar dealer in the greater Chicago area and asked if they had one. Learning there were only six, I planned my route and drove that Saturday to see them. Due to the nature of wood grain, there was a huge difference in their appearance. The fourth one was beautiful. When you moved the guitar the grain had a similar chatoyant effect of the gemstone tiger's-eye. I had the store hold it for me while I went to look at numbers five and six, promising I would either phone that day if I found something better or come back and purchase it. The last two were no where near as pretty, so I went back and scooped it up. I have added gold-plated plastic pickup covers (and saved the original black covers).
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Tasty!

The word "strat" kinda looks stupid on the head stock but the rest of it is pretty sweet!

#795 2 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

Damn, y'all and these pretty Fenders. I feel like I need just 1 more guitar.

Is that a 70s SG? THey are still making a special one these days with those small block inlays

#816 2 years ago

Heavy guitars just make me feel manly.

And sore.

I got a nice guitar wall going finally! Can’t believe my babe is letting me get away with this, but you just need some quality axes lording over the Dio Couch.

Two on the wall two on the floor! And I’m done buying guitars! I mean it this time!

I did try out a Gibson 335 but not my cup of tea.

AE1C0A95-B0B2-4E04-B531-A5E0D13D11E9 (resized).jpegAE1C0A95-B0B2-4E04-B531-A5E0D13D11E9 (resized).jpegFFCDC844-800E-40B1-8EE8-9B5CE54BDFC9 (resized).jpegFFCDC844-800E-40B1-8EE8-9B5CE54BDFC9 (resized).jpeg
#819 2 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

First public gig in over a year tonight! Trying this out for the first time all together. I'll probably bring the AX8 just in case, but so far it sounds great. I've been dialing in sounds on the AXE FX 3 for months, finally swapping them over to the gig machine.
[quoted image]

Break a leg Shredso!

#823 2 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Where did you get that Ronnie James Dio Pillow?

I googled "ronnie james dio pillow."

I think maybe it was Etsy or something.

#834 2 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

When Fender executives bought back the company from CBS, they focused on a return to pre-CBS specs through reissues. The most well-known reissues were the ’52 Telecasters and ’57 Stratocasters, which had one-ply pickguards and maple necks. The complete Fender reissue line also included a 1962 version of the Strat, with a rosewood fretboard and three-ply pickguard, a maple-necked ’57 Precision Bass, a ’62 P-Bass with a rosewood fretboard, and a ’62 Jazz Bass. These came in tweed cases to complete the vintage look.
The American made butterscotch blonde reissue '52 Telecaster was fitted with a three-saddle bridge like the original, but came with a modern six-saddle bridge if players wanted to choose better intonation over the vintage look. The butterscotch finish was different than other blonde Telecasters and continued over the fretboard, making it better matched to the body color. Bruce Springsteen and Keith Richards both use blonde Telecasters. And Telecasters are a main guitar for country western music. I'm afraid that my poor photography does not show the true beauty of my butterscotch blonde '52 Telecaster reissue.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image]

That's pretty cool...one of my first guitars was a Fernandez tele copy that looked just like that. I quickly realized that it wasn't the sound I was looking for and returned it...I think I ended up with a Kramer that weighed 15 pounds and had a locking tremolo system...that also clearly wasn't for me so that get returned also. I was probably the kind of buyer those guys couldn't stand.

A that point I bought a ratty white SG special (the REALLY shitty early 80s one with only one tone knob) and I was on the path for the sound and feel I liked.

It's kind of cool, the last guitar I got - the new Strat American Pro 2 - reminds me a lot of the FIRST guitar I ever got, a squire strat. As cheap as that thing was it definitely shared some of the sound/feel of this thing, which I guess shows they were doing a fairly good job.

#837 2 years ago

So let’s talk 70s strats:

Are they garbage, hit or miss, or luck of
The draw?

Was looking at some at my local shop, with the three bolt necks and huge headstocks, All going for around $2k.

Seems like that may have been enticing in the old days when nobody wanted them and they were cheap as dirt but I just a brand new one for $1325 so didn’t seem as attractive.

#839 2 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

The large headstock originated in 1958 on the Jazzmaster and was used again on the '62 Jaguar, where it was needed to balance out the bigger bodies of those Fenders (with their offset waists) versus the Stratocaster. Some recording artists actually preferred the larger headstock, so it is up to your personal taste.
But the three-bolt neck was just a bad idea, along with CBS changing production processes which resulted in inconsistent quality.

You ever own a 70s strat?

#862 2 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

AXE FX 3 for the desk and an FM3 for live. AX8 got me hooked on Fractal.

How’d your gig go Shredso?

2 months later
#889 2 years ago
Quoted from Clytor:

I just ran across this while looking for a flanger.
[quoted image]

Ha! That’s wild

1 week later
#899 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

New Fenders are sweet looking[quoted image][quoted image]

Not really my cup of tea

#901 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That's how you know if something is cool.
If everybody likes it, it will surely suck, cuz it's middle of the road.

For sure. Some people hate a Silverburst finish on a Les Paul, I've thought it was amazing since I stumbled upon one for $500 at music shop in high school.

Still, the finish on that fender reminds me of a waterpark!

Also, there's not a thing on the planet that "everybody likes" so I guess everything is cool!

#926 2 years ago

Awesome guitar.

Will probably end up with that asshole Jim Irsay who buys all the good guitars.

#931 2 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

That idiot buys the dumbest guitars. At least this one has value beyond its iconic player...that Strat Purchase was about the dumbest guitar buy ever. 2+ Mil for a 1200 dollar parts guitar.

If you are referring to Gilmour's guitar, Id have to disagree with you.

I'd definitely pay $4 million for that thing!!!!!

#933 2 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Agree or disagree, it is a 70 Partscaster and in no way worth a fraction of that sale price. Remember, that was a Charity Auction. I doubt he would have paid a fraction of that for a Charity he didn't want to support.
Also. 70s Strat. Pretty much worthless as a collector guitar.

It's kinda moot cause I don't have $4 million to spend on a guitar.

Still, it's pretty cool. Parts of that thing - the body and pickup switch? - were present for some of the greatest recordings in rock history! Plus I've seen him play that guitar personally a few times in concert. And he's my favorite guitar player. Sign me up for the fuckin' Black Strat please!

Did Irsay also end up with The Fool? Man Todd RUndgren made a huge mistake selling that thing for relative peanuts. And he's kind of pathetically shown playing it on his latest tour poster. Let it go bro!

#935 2 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Last time I saw The Fool it was not in his hands...don't know if it changed hands since, though.
For that kind of money, I am buying a pile of Bursts. I had the Martin Barre Burst in my hands and walked on the deal when the seller decided he wanted 10k more than we agrred on for pricing...definite mistake on my part!

What's the cheapest you can get a Burst for now? Yes I'm counting one that maybe isn't 100 percent original.

Give me the "tiers!"

#938 2 years ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

Hi Levi - agree 100%. I own his CS replica - awesome Strat. Where/When did you see Gilmour play? I saw Floyd in 94, Gilmour both nights in 06' at the Rosemont theatre, and all 3 nights when he was in Chicago a few years back. Actually Got 4th row center at The United Center and it was a dream come true to be that close. Brilliant guitarist and his tone and phrasing is second to none.

Floyd in 1994 at Clemson University, and a couple months later in DC at RFK (I believe he was playing the Red strats at that time), and the last time around (2016?) at Madison Square Garden (playing the aforementioned black strat among others).

My big regret is not catching his Echoes shows at Radio City in 2006 with Rick Wright.

Gilmour IS the "classic rock" sound as far as I'm concerned, for all the reasons you mentioned. I just got a strat and I can't get enough of bumbling my way through approximations of his sound and licks. The first thing I did when I got it was look up the first 4 notes of Shine On.

I always catch a Waters show when he comes around as he's the keeper of the flame now, he's got a pretty good cover band and it's a great show but it's not exactly the same. Always surprised that "Mr. Authenticity" has no problem with lip syncing to backing tracks.

Also caught one of Nick Mason's shows at the Beacon a few years ago, that was really fun. Never thought I'd ever hear anybody play "Vegetable Man" live lol.

Here's a pic of a friend and myself with Roger's guitarist before his MSG Wall show in 2010 or so, he was just walking around. He said it was really cool to be playing up on the Wall but honestly didn't seem like the biggest Floyd fan hahaha...just a job. But he's certainly got the Gilmour sound down, if not the vocals (they just poured as much reverb and delay as possible on his voice so you wouldn't notice).
1B832937-6B6D-49C8-9218-C62B470045A9 (resized).jpeg1B832937-6B6D-49C8-9218-C62B470045A9 (resized).jpeg

#940 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Dave (Kilminster) is an unbelievably good guitarist. He’s stood in for Guthrie Govan in Stephen Wilson’s band .. holy hell. Hes played with Emerson in The Nice, played in Steve Howe’s place in Asia. He’s just kind of a chill guy.

Yeah we just call him the Killhammer!!!!

He's got the Gilmour stuff down pat for sure.

#944 2 years ago

Wow so the top two “greatest” (I think you mean most expensive) guitars are shitty CBS Stratocasters!

Well the collectible market is silly.

I wonder what billy gibbons’ “pearly gates” 59 Les Paul would go for…

#951 2 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Looking for some opinions on this gold flake finish. This is a Reverend Jetstream 390 at my local guitar shop. The finish is exclusive to my local shop. The guitar plays fantastically and I really like the p-90 tone it gives. I don’t have a p-90 guitar and the triple pickup configuration seems very versatile.
I’m on the fence about the color, it’s a big departure from what I would normally get but that’s kind of a draw too if that makes sense. What do you guys think? Does it look too 1970s disco?
[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks pretty fuckin cool to me

#971 2 years ago

Attended a wedding held at a museum, they had Janice’ left handed Les Paul (and wig!)

Ever notice how all muppets are left handed?

44550DD5-D60D-4718-A8C9-CFF3773CA0E4 (resized).jpeg44550DD5-D60D-4718-A8C9-CFF3773CA0E4 (resized).jpegE9A13C39-0C84-4ECF-A0EB-2C085EC7EEE6 (resized).jpegE9A13C39-0C84-4ECF-A0EB-2C085EC7EEE6 (resized).jpeg
#991 2 years ago
Quoted from dracula40:

Would consider a trade for pinball machine.

What's the story with those guitars?

#996 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Fender has a new SC Lexus guitar.
Blue interference paint, stainless frets, blue Richlite fretboard, carbon fiber, Mark Levinson knobs
[quoted image]

Hideous and tomorrow’s “Adorama close out.”

#1002 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I absolutely do not understand who the target market is. If I'm not mistaken, this is the same basic 90s Strat cut, neck, and bridge. Crusty old "vintage" guys by and large are not going to understand who Mark Levinson is. I do like the carbon fiber changes and the blue paint looks nice. The pickguard though!

I guess it's for folks who are nostalgic for the hair metal days? Which would be...nobody?

2 months later
#1078 2 years ago

Never played with a bigsby…how well do they work?

I was pleasantly surprised by the vibrola on my vintage SG, stays in tune and you can get some neat sounds out of it.

1 month later
#1113 2 years ago

So I bought another one...Should show up on Monday or Tuesday.

This is a 1979 Les Paul Deluxe. Original mini humbucker in the neck and full-size vintage Dimarzio Super Distortion on the bridge. Dark wine red (kind of an ox blood).

I had a 1979 les paul (custom) in high school and have always kind of been nostalgic for another one with the giant volute and boat anchor weight. This is 10 pounds 8 oz according to seller. Not sure if that's brutally heavy seems about average for a Norlin...I've heard of some at 12 pounds.

Always wanted to try a Dimarzio, and looking forward to hearing what the neck mini humbucker sounds like...they are supposed to be a little brighter which I think will sound great considering standard neck Les Paul pickups always seem a little muddy.

Running out of space. It seems a lot harder to get rid of guitars than it does pinball machines!

#1115 2 years ago
Quoted from Bobbydevil:

Never enough Les Pauls, or guitars for that matter! Here’s my 76 LPC in Wine Red w Tim Shaw pu’s and my 07 LPC in Ox Blood. The OB is quite darker. Love them both. I never understood the hate on those 70s LP’s. Congrats on the new one!
[quoted image]

Gorgeous! I like the blue one too

Which one is the heaviest? The 76?

#1119 2 years ago

Put up a third hook in anticipation of the new arrival. So excited!

Got a stand for the other two guitars on the floor.

DD46469A-0514-4D8F-80D5-8A33512EC15D (resized).jpegDD46469A-0514-4D8F-80D5-8A33512EC15D (resized).jpeg
#1120 2 years ago

Who’s a happy guy ?!

The new deluxe rules. They all rule.

I really should sell one of them. Maybe the 93 wine red but it’s the prettiest.

D8FA969C-7AF9-41C7-8F4A-5E8E6F7C9EF8 (resized).jpegD8FA969C-7AF9-41C7-8F4A-5E8E6F7C9EF8 (resized).jpeg

EAFB994A-F1A2-4A05-A571-7DB7BB144E3F (resized).jpegEAFB994A-F1A2-4A05-A571-7DB7BB144E3F (resized).jpeg
3 weeks later
#1139 2 years ago

Cool 80s Super Strats!!!

I had a Kramer like that briefly in high school. I just didn't have the patience - nor the need - for the Floyd Rose system stuff.

#1149 2 years ago
Quoted from bayoubilly70:

Going old school... Live at Leeds...[quoted image][quoted image]

Sick!!!

3 months later
#1160 1 year ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Anyone own a Fender Performer from 85-86? Thoughts?
[quoted image]

This is hideously ugly. Looks like a Fender Jaguar that went through the prototype Fly transporter.

But then it was the 80s and I'm sure Fender wasn't happy with BC rich taking all their hair metal band business.

I could see picking one up as a novelty but it would have to be super cheap.

#1182 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Fender Squier Competition Mustangs $160 , free ship, rare Lake Placid Metallic Blue color
(add to cart to see price, sale ends Sunday)
https://www.adorama.com/sq371221502.html
[quoted image]

There's no such thing as a Squire that's too cheap to pass up!

1 month later
#1187 1 year ago

Behold!

8826D427-9ADF-491A-B353-58DA7F55A7D5 (resized).jpeg8826D427-9ADF-491A-B353-58DA7F55A7D5 (resized).jpegF571E540-39AA-49FC-9718-9A24C62223DD (resized).jpegF571E540-39AA-49FC-9718-9A24C62223DD (resized).jpeg
#1189 1 year ago
Quoted from gorditas:

Are you crazy, or bi-polar? (Kidding)
Cool guitar. What is the story? I thought Michael Schenker, but that signature looks like something else.

It's Rudy's signature. He plays a model like that, as does his brother. SUpposedly Rudy introduced them to mike. Plenty of pics of Rudy playing these online...and apparently in my phone from a 2010 show at Jones Beach.

The story as told to me was this, but I really can't find any other info on it. So one way or another it's pretty rare. I've been looking for a V and thought this one looked pretty cool!

--

"The little known Gibson Rudolf Schenker Flying V from 1993. These were shipped exclusively to MAE music in Fort Lauderdale. Rudy signed all 103 in person. Loaded with full vintage white pickguard loaded w/PAF Humbuckers with an autograph from Rudy on its top side. She has a cool white Gibson truss rod cover & it has no volute. The guitar has an unbound Rosewood fingerboard w/dot inlays. She has an original type set of Kluson tuners."
543D7492-9B8E-4F68-A40A-938354DA38BE (resized).jpeg543D7492-9B8E-4F68-A40A-938354DA38BE (resized).jpeg

#1194 1 year ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

Sick! I used to have a black '84 V. I miss it. Traded it for a pinball machine some years ago back during a time when I wasn't serious about playing.

I’ve never played a V before. I like it- it’s fun to play, looks cool, and sounds great. I’m surprised by how much sustain it has, but it’s closer to an SG than a Les Paul with the heavy sound. I really like the neck pickup sound which I usually am not that into (when distorted).

And yes scorpion riffs and priest stuff sounds amazing on it!

Really cool!l

1 month later
#1222 1 year ago
Quoted from madtown:

Always way cheaper to buy guitars used.

It's a buyers market on craigslist for guitars, there's always so goddamn many of them.

Guitars are a lot easier to buy than they are to sell.

If I could at all avoid it, I'd stay away from garbage like Squiers, and really wouldn't seek out an Epiphone either.

You can buy a real, USA made SG or Les Paul Studio for like 800 bucks. You can get a Mexican Strat for even less, or a used USA strat for around the same price. You'll see these deals even at guitar stores selling used gear.

If you can afford it, that's really the way to go rather than Chinese garbage.

I'm not too shy about online guitar buying, I've bought MANY and had zero issues. But CL or your local shop is a great option to "try and buy."

Online guitars I've bought -

98 or so SG special
2008 Les Paul Custom
1970 SG standard
1979 Les Paul Deluxe
1993 Les Paul Standard

All have show up as advertised and without issues. I know it only takes one bad deal to sour it all though.

#1224 1 year ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

I agree with Levi regarding used, but make it easy on yourself as a first time buyer and buy from a reputable shop. You can still by used there and take comfort knowing you have support if needed. At this point, you have enough to worry about just learning to play.

Sure thing! Hopefully he's got some good shops around. You may pay a little more for used gear at a shop but it's a great option for first-timers. Ive bought most my gear used from either shops or online.

The only new guitar I ever bought was a USA strat last year at Chuck Levins in DC. Great place to buy gear and ALWAYS good discounts off list, which I didn't even realize was an option these days. I think I got around $300 off the "guitar center price" on this brand new axe.

3E6D3607-E186-4D49-B8FD-51047851A7F4 (resized).jpeg3E6D3607-E186-4D49-B8FD-51047851A7F4 (resized).jpeg
#1226 1 year ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Chuck Levin's has always been a great place.

First thing I bought from them was a TASCAM four track 30 years ago! Glad they are still around.

3 weeks later
#1264 1 year ago

On world-famous Denmark st in London, checked out some of the many guitar shops. Some cool oddities - a primitive 70s loop pedal that I’m sure is an absolute monster to keep in pitch and working correctly.

Also a bizarre late 70s gibson with an active moog “compressor” that looks like a Firebird someone left on the stove too long. Chatted with some nice folks and bought the t shirt. Apparently regent is where sabbath and the stones recorded their first albums, among others back in the day.

20AA91EC-8037-4341-8D3F-EA1A2E376F22 (resized).jpeg20AA91EC-8037-4341-8D3F-EA1A2E376F22 (resized).jpeg40F9F23F-B4FC-4637-8C2C-FDB7102920DC (resized).jpeg40F9F23F-B4FC-4637-8C2C-FDB7102920DC (resized).jpeg585FD929-E745-436F-AD71-ABFD389A2A3A (resized).jpeg585FD929-E745-436F-AD71-ABFD389A2A3A (resized).jpegA4459D89-5DCD-4EBA-AF96-F3905C6FC2A6 (resized).jpegA4459D89-5DCD-4EBA-AF96-F3905C6FC2A6 (resized).jpegB8522270-4206-4A65-B82E-9756A2E49F4C (resized).jpegB8522270-4206-4A65-B82E-9756A2E49F4C (resized).jpegE756232F-A910-410C-A9A1-6B674B4534B3 (resized).jpegE756232F-A910-410C-A9A1-6B674B4534B3 (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
2 weeks later
#1293 1 year ago

Go into a good music store and tell the guy who you want to sound like and play some of the pedals they suggest.

I told the guy “David Gilmour” and I was happy with his suggestions.

1 year later
#1504 65 days ago
Quoted from Oshara:

Any recommendations for a wireless system? This isn't for performing just trying to reduce the number of cables and give some freedom to walk around and play.
And does anyone know if you need a specific type for single coil vs. humbuckers? Ideally I'd just want one that I can swap between guitars rather than have to purchase multiple ones.
Thanks in advance for any info!

I use this. Cheap, works great. Easy to swap between guitars. I’ve had mine for 3+ years and still works great, holds charge for 3-4 hours.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/U2Blk--xvive-audio-u2-digital-wireless-guitar-system-black

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-guitar-players-and-guitar-stuff-needs-more-vid?tu=crazylevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.