image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_5339 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5340 (resized).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-02-29 at 20.43.40_b9a2c7eb (resized).jpg
104128260_10103386995236597_269874850723770498_n (resized).jpg
20240206_184407 (resized).jpg
20240206_184418 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Krupps4.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#591 3 years ago

I have a question for all of you guitar experts out there. I’m an amateur guitar player working my way through the lessons on the Fender Play app. I’m having a ton of fun and am making good process. I play a cheap Fender Squier Bullet Strat and use an Orange Crush 35RT amp. I don’t have any pedals, but thought it would be fun to buy my first. I’m assuming my first pedal should be an overdrive or distortion pedal. I was thinking about the BOSS Blues Driver. So, as a beginner, what would be a good versatile pedal for just general rock guitar? I’m wide open to suggestions. Thanks in advance for the help.

#594 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

What type of music are you playing?

At this point, just general rock music. I just learned Foghat - Slow Ride. I’ve been working on the riff for Pantera - Cowboys from Hell. I’m more of a jam band guy, but I’m not good enough to play any of that type of music.

I did look on Craigslist locally and there I’d a BOSS OS-2 Overdrive for $60 that I’m sure I could get for less. A delay pedal is on my list as well. I could always get both. I also saw a lot of people like the Tube Screamer. From what I’ve read and listened to, I think that may be a bit better than the Blues Driver for me. However, given my skill level any of them are probably fine.

#596 3 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

Get the Blues Driver or the Overdrive for sure.

Thanks for all the great advice. I actually just grabbed the BOSS Overdrive pedal I mentioned from CL. The guy happened to live close and it was only $50 and like new. I figured it was good enough for what I need and now I have extra money for a delay or reverb.

By the way, I did see the Angry Drive which I also looked like a great choice.

#600 3 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

I used a Boss DS-1 ($49 at Sweetwater/Guitar Center) and Boss delay for years gigging around the Detroit area. Check out the Boss DD8 delay, tons of functionality, $159.
Still using my original DS1, over thirty years later.

Thanks for the Boss DD8 recommendation. I’ll check it out.

1 month later
#639 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Anybody doing the stimulus guitar buy?

Not a stimulus guitar but, but just picked up a new Taylor 324ce. I have my eye on a Guild electric as well. Guitars are as addicting as pinball.

ECF92265-FC76-4741-B27B-821A9046CE99 (resized).jpegECF92265-FC76-4741-B27B-821A9046CE99 (resized).jpeg
#641 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yes and they take up less room.
Like I said I didn't really need another guitar but shit, lately pinball machines make them seem cheap.
REALLY cheap!

That’s so funny. The Taylor was $2300 which isn’t chump change but I told myself the same thing you just said - Compared to a pin that’s nothing.

The Guild electrics are such sweet guitars and they run about $1500. Not made in the US though which is a drawback for me.

I also have had a PRS on order for the last few months. Should be in by June.

Love the Les Paul. I play mine almost daily. Nice choice!

#646 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

My zoom background about to get a whole
Lot sexier !!!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That Les Paul is sweet. It’s in great condition as well. Congrats!

#655 3 years ago

I’m pretty sure ‘59 Les Pauls can fetch $500,000 or more. I believe they only made about 650 ‘59s.

2 weeks later
#709 2 years ago

Just got my new PRS 35th Anniversary S2 Custom 24 about a week ago. I know it doesn’t have the mystique of a Fender or Gibson, but it plays and sounds like a dream. Something to consider if you are looking to branch out a bit.

1FAE4E20-BBFD-47A6-8008-601C2E4D38CF (resized).jpeg1FAE4E20-BBFD-47A6-8008-601C2E4D38CF (resized).jpeg
#713 2 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

Paul Reed Smith has got to be the most underrated guitar out there. It's been my main axe for over 15 years. The build quality is far superior to anything Gibson or Fender has put out in the last 20 years.

I can’t agree more. One of the complaints I hear about PRS is that it lacks the mojo of a Fender or Gibson. I just think mojo is a fancy word for inconsistent build quality. Anyway, I also have a Les Paul that I do really enjoy, but I have to say that I love the PRS much more. It just feels right. In order to appreciate PRS you have to overcome the mental hurdle of looking past the long rich history of Fender and Gibson, which I know may not be easy.

#716 2 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

go for the guitar I'll probably actually play.

I think the answer is obvious. A guitar isn’t worth having if it’s not being played. Your guitar should almost summon you to play it every time you see it. If you don’t get that feeling, pass.

If you like hollow bodies, check out the Guild line of electrics. Not made in the US, but really, really nice at competitive prices. Built well.

1 month later
#731 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think it's time to get out of Gibson-land and looking for something cheaper/beater.

Look into PRS. Made in Maryland for about $1500. I love mine. I still have a Gibson and never play it since I got the PRS.

BF563C43-45DC-4435-8133-ED5130D4A8A6 (resized).jpegBF563C43-45DC-4435-8133-ED5130D4A8A6 (resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
#753 2 years ago

I thought I’d toss this out for everyone’s thoughts and recommendations. I’m considering buying a tube amp for home use only. I’ve looked at the Black Volt Hawk as well as the Lazy J J10. I want this to be forever amp, so price isn’t a big consideration. I’m mainly looking for something that is versatile and that, of course, sounds amazing. I don’t play any metal, mostly blues, more classic rock and jam bandy type stuff. Anyway, I’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts. I really like to gather as much info as I can before making decisions like this. Thanks in advance.

#768 2 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Carr amps are some of the best on the planet if you dont care about price.
Steve Carr is also a nice dude and will help with any questions or issues.

Wow. This is great. I wasn’t aware of Carr amps. This just shows why it always makes sense to ask the question. More to learn. Always more to learn.

#769 2 years ago

if you dont care about price.

I figure if I can spend $8000 on a pin that I don’t play everyday that I can spend $2000-$3000 on an amp that I would use literally every day. I’ll read up on the Carr amps. Thanks again. I really do appreciate it.

#771 2 years ago

He makes two that have built in attenuation (Mercury more of a marshall thing and Skylark more of a fender)

What are your thoughts about the Telstar? It also has a built in attenuator. I’m intrigued by the Mercury. In terms of a boost pedal, I use the TC Electronics Spark. I have other pedals but that’s the one pedal I use pretty much daily. Thanks again for your thoughts.

#781 2 years ago

Agreed. Great choice on the color. Looks fantastic.

#799 2 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

, PRS McCarty is still the best feeling guitar I've ever played.

I play a PRS as well as my main guitar. It just feels right to me and I find it easier to play than my Strat and LP. I think PRS is very underrated. Glad to hear there is another PRS player in the forum!

#802 2 years ago

Even the S2 version is a better guitar than most custom shop gibsons and less than half the price.

I play an PRS S2 Custom 24. It was about $1500. So, not a trophy but a great guitar nevertheless. Guitars, as with all music related tastes, are, of course, a personal preference.

3 months later
#920 2 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

experimenting with a couple of delays.

If you’ve never tried one, give a reverse delay shot. It all depends what your into but I have a Danelectro Back Talk as pretty much a fixture in my board. It’s just an amazing pedal and has such a great vibe.

1 week later
#954 2 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

really like the p-90 tone it gives

Check out the Guild P-90s. Really fantastic guitars, especially for the price. Also, comes in a satin gold.

#961 2 years ago

In my opinion, a new guitar day is just as good as a new pin day. Enjoy!

1 week later
#1012 2 years ago

Tumnus just has more options on it so you can shape things more.

I’ll vouch for the Tumnus as well. Does a nice job
of recreating that Klon sound. In fact, I think most Wampler pedals are solid.

3 weeks later
#1022 2 years ago

Speaking of Rats, anyone have any thoughts on the new JHS PackRat?

2 months later
#1084 2 years ago

Custom, hand made tube amp is coming together. Should have it in the next two weeks. Gio Loria does amazing work. Grill cloth isn’t installed. Just a mock up for now. The amp is going to sound amazing. I’m super excited - had to share.

EF8B78B4-DF80-4910-BB74-9FEAC7918709 (resized).jpegEF8B78B4-DF80-4910-BB74-9FEAC7918709 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#1104 2 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

Snagged this today. It's amazing!
[quoted image]

PRS are great guitars. Great players. Great feel. Enjoy it! I have a bunch of guitars and almost always pick up my PRS.

#1106 2 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

I'm shocked at how poorly they hold their value for resale.

They just don’t have the “cool” factor that a Fender or Gibson have for most people. My guitar teacher plays lead guitar in a pretty notable band and generally plays Gibson’s. He said PRS was just never on his radar. He finally played one and said he it really surprised him and that it was a really great guitar to play. People just need to give them a chance.

1 week later
#1121 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I really should sell one of them.

Congrats man! Don’t sell any of them. They are all keepers. You will regret it if you do.

#1122 2 years ago

Here’s a sneak peek of one I have coming soon…

B1DE1B45-AC7E-42B4-975D-7EC3B08869A7 (resized).jpegB1DE1B45-AC7E-42B4-975D-7EC3B08869A7 (resized).jpegE5307A81-45EB-435F-8F13-9C85821735CC (resized).jpegE5307A81-45EB-435F-8F13-9C85821735CC (resized).jpeg
4 months later
#1183 1 year ago

I thought I’d toss this question out as a last resort. I really don’t think there are any fixes. With that being said, I have a Black Volt Vfuzz pedal that picks up some radio interference. I’m assuming there isn’t anything I can do about that other than move?

#1186 1 year ago
Quoted from gorditas:

Does it do it with multiple guitars? What happens on a guitar with the volume all the way down?

That’s a great question. I have half a dozen guitars but really only play one. I’ll check that out and see if that helps.

2 months later
#1217 1 year ago

I’m not sure what your situation, but I would buy (within reason) the best guitar you can afford. For example, consider a Fender Stratocaster for around $850 (new). With guitars, you generally get what you pay for. For example, I think you will find a Squier won’t stay in tune as long as a more expensive guitar. With that being said, the Squier is okay for what it is, but if you stick with the guitar you will quickly grow out of it. I can’t speak to the Glen Burton.

#1221 1 year ago

The other thing I’ll say is that if you order a guitar make sure to take it to your local guitar shop to get a proper set up done. They will adjust the action (i.e, the height of the strings relative to the frets) and so forth. If you have a proper set up, it will help your playing. It does make a difference.

#1223 1 year ago

I agree with Levi regarding used, but make it easy on yourself as a first time buyer and buy from a reputable shop. You can still by used there and take comfort knowing you have support if needed. At this point, you have enough to worry about just learning to play.

#1231 1 year ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

PRS SE Custom 24-08.

I have a PRS and absolutely love it. If you can get over the fact it’s not a Gibson or Fender, it’s a fantastic guitar. I completely agree.

1 week later
#1244 1 year ago

Anyone have a Fender Jag suggestion? I’m not looking for a traditional Fender Jag. Rather something more along the lines of the Cobain Jag, Although I wasn’t overly impressed with that model when I played it. It seems like a lot of what your paying for with that one is the Cobain name.

I’ve heard a lot of good things about the Fender Jag Blacktop HH. There are a couple on Reverb that are about $700 - $800. Anyway, just wondering if I’m missing any other options. The other thing I was thinking of doing is just grabbing a Jag Classic Vibe and swapping out the pick ups and bridge. Thanks.

#1250 1 year ago
Quoted from dmieczko:

, try the Orange Crush 35rt. Plenty loud, 2 awesome channels, reverb, built-in tuner...

I second this recommendation. It’s a great amp at a great price. I own one and also a high end boutique tube amp. It’s not like the tube amp but it’s a great affordable amp.

#1252 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Pretty much the case with any “signature” model. You are definitely paying a LOT for the name. Isn’t Cobain’s guitar a combo of a Jaguar and a Mustang?

The Jag Stang is a guitar Cobain worked with Fender to create. He played a lot of guitars but his ‘66 Fender Jag was his main guitar. There’s a lot of history and mystery to it. There’s a 10 minute or so YouTube history on his Fender Jag. It’s an interesting watch.

1 month later
#1294 1 year ago
Quoted from orangegsx:

Was kind of thinking about a fuzz pedal

One thing you should know about fuzz pedals is that sometimes they are hard to tame. In other words, they take some tweaking and tend to be noisy. If you just want to plug and play, I’d go with a distortion pedal as your first pedal.

#1308 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

All Right, the time has come to start cleaning house. I have several nice Brian Moore guitars with piezo bridges that I need to start getting rid of. I’m not going to bother selling them, so I’m looking for ideas of where to donate them. I dont have time to mess with Facebook market or craigslist - those immediately ate up more time than the item was worth the last time I tried. So! Give me some ideas what to do with these things

Contact the Neal Casal Music Foundation:

https://nealcasalmusicfoundation.org/

1 month later
#1338 1 year ago

A business contact of mine gifted me this Gibson, so I’ve been busy playing it. I never been a huge Gibson guy but this one is changing my mind.

70002E4F-1EFF-453B-AD93-1E88D0065D22 (resized).jpeg70002E4F-1EFF-453B-AD93-1E88D0065D22 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#1351 1 year ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Passed on Foo Fighters LE, so I had to make it up to myself somehow.

I love the thought process. At the end of the day, a guitar is a way better purchase. It will give way more back to you than a pinball machine.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Krupps4.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-guitar-players-and-guitar-stuff-needs-more-vid?tu=Krupps4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.