RZVH guitars (resized).jpg
livingroomguitars (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_5339 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5340 (resized).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-02-29 at 20.43.40_b9a2c7eb (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Becker34.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1013 2 years ago

Had both of these for 30+ years...
20171110_214132 (resized).jpg20171110_214132 (resized).jpg
'85 Les Paul Custom. Got it used in late '86 or early '87.

The story behind it was when I was taking lessons on acoustic at a local shop my dad told me he'd buy me an electric if I met goals set by him and my teacher. Difficulty: used only, he wouldn't pop for a new one. The tags on the new LP's they had were $1100-1200ish. This was the best LP they had hanging in the shop. I had to have a Les Paul shaped object because Jimmy Page. He got it for $675. What a creampuff. No wear except for worming on the back from the WWF championship belt the previous owner wore. It survived teenage me who insisted on doing my own work on it despite hardly knowing shit from shinola about guitar maintenance. It sounds like a Les Paul and weighs as much as a Lincoln Town Car even with weight relief. All original except for strap locks.

But DAMNIT! I WANT ANOTHER GUITAR! A few years later I put feelers out at the same shop that I was looking for another LP, maybe a beater. One of the other guitar teachers said he had just the guitar for me. I got him down to $375 and was presented with an '80 Les Paul Standard that had been rode hard and put away wet. This guy had acid sweat and probably never wiped it down and maybe even pissed on it. It was gigged HARD. It was fucking disgusting when I got it, complete with rusted strings.

She cleaned up well and quickly became my #1. All original except for strap locks, replacement pick guard and speed knobs. I got it with witch hats, which I hate, and they're not right for that era. My guess is he swapped the original speeds to an early '70's LPC. When I play out, it's my stage guitar. Even though it has the same electronics and pickups as the LPC, this thing is just an unholy, filthy beast. Which suits me well.

20180215_213332 (resized).jpg20180215_213332 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#1054 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Avid, is *horrible* in their software development and QA. Yes that definitely includes ProTools.

Glad to hear this. I feel even more vindicated. I do radio production for a living, been using Adobe Audition (whatever version is with Adobe CC) for the last 3 years, Audition 3.0 prior. Corporate had the idea to put everyone on ProTools. Some prod guys love Audition, some swear by ProTools. Kind of a Ford vs Chevy thing. Each group used whatever it was using with no edict either way. I volunteered to be the guinea pig locally. I've produced high level shit with reel to reel/cut 'n' splice, multitrack tape, a Roland DM-80 digital workstation, SAW and Audition. And other programs. ProTools was a fucking disaster for me. It didn't like our networks, our hardware (Win10 PC's) or anything. Let alone being able to use any of our sessions we've built over the years. Even with the stuff I tried to do, it was like trying to turn a bolt with a screwdriver. Lotsa swearing and bleeding and nothing gets done and you want to beat someone senseless. Luckily for us, corporate relented, partially because it would also be a nightmare for IT. I can see where ProTools can excel in some environments (especially recording music) but it sure as hell wasn't for us.

My biggest regret was that the install didn't come on a CD-ROM so I could piss on it.

#1058 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

(and SAW! Forgot about that)

SAW was the first PC based DAW I worked with. Was dragged into it kicking and screaming when I went in one day and found my DM-80 was yanked by the engineer. This was probably around '98. Once I got the hang of it I never looked back, although I still miss mixing on an actual board (which I got to do at band gigs). Biggest drawback was SAW Pro still didn't see MP3's and we had a huge 2 gig HD. One of our morning show producers still uses SAW Pro for some reason. Still runs on Win10. So does Audion 3.0 - I use it at home. You used to be able to download it from Adobe for free, but they haven't offered it for years. For years we've been told how 3.0 wouldn't work on anything newer than Win7 but it still does. Bigger sessions seem to bog it down, though.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Becker34.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-guitar-players-and-guitar-stuff-needs-more-vid?tu=Becker34 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.