New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 264920)

Pinside guitar players and guitar stuff (needs more Vid)

By xsvtoys

6 months ago

Topic Stats

• 432 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by xsvtoys
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“Do we need another guitar thread??”

• Yes, I love guitars, let's go. 40 votes
    74%
  • No, go away and find a guitar forum to hang out at. 7 votes
    13%
  • Tacos. 7 votes
    13%

(54 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 200 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

5B0EA7B5-FD09-4621-86A1-6CBDAD054A2E (resized).jpeg
3 (resized).jpg
output (resized).jpg
guitars 3 black (resized).jpg
A52C8A68-0F76-4C3B-AED8-1E7263D9D846 (resized).jpeg
5F131955-7FF0-472B-A5D5-151C1A9C8E8F (resized).jpeg
Jazzmaster_Uke_B (resized).png
Jazzmaster_Uke_A (resized).png
20200903_151024 (resized).jpg
20180518_195008 (resized).jpg
344A052A-7BA2-42B2-9836-D5D2A5939FDB (resized).jpeg
3998D0C4-0908-4C29-9AE8-97B6FE38F981 (resized).jpeg
20200513_210122 (resized).jpg
20200515_222237 (resized).jpg
20200513_210143 (resized).jpg
20200513_210001 (resized).jpg

There are 432 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 9.
#401 81 days ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

You have that beautiful green-swirl body. That should be the center of attention. That’s why I originally went with the rosewood dot neck and color matched green pickups. You want those elements to disappear. I feel like the other feature options just compete with what should be the primary focus: the color dipped guitar body.

Whatever way you go, I really appreciate your sharing your process here. That was a bold move, to take a guitar that you have owned for so long and risk the plunge. Well done!

Thank you. And thanks to everyone for your advice. I posted this on a couple of my guitar forums too, and the consensus is definitely with the maple fretboard with the pyramid inlays. The disagreement is definitely with the pickup color - about half are for green and half for the purple. Some actually suggested doing a different color in both the neck and bridge positions, which I certainly could do. This will be a last second decision, after I reshape and finish the neck. When it's complete and reassembled (in a few weeks) I will post the final result!

#402 81 days ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

You have that beautiful green-swirl body. That should be the center of attention. That’s why I originally went with the rosewood dot neck and color matched green pickups. You want those elements to disappear. I feel like the other feature options just compete with what should be the primary focus: the color dipped guitar body.
Whatever way you go, I really appreciate your sharing your process here. That was a bold move, to take a guitar that you have owned for so long and risk the plunge. Well done!

I agree completely with this analysis, original upper left!

#403 81 days ago

I like the green pick ups with the colored inlays the best.

#404 80 days ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

I agree completely with this analysis, original upper left!

I agree completely with this agreement!

#405 80 days ago
Quoted from RocketFromTombs:

I agree completely with this agreement

Guys, there is way too much agreeing here!! This is supposed to be a divisive topic!

#406 78 days ago
Quoted from RocketFromTombs:

I agree completely with this agreement!

Agree. Green PU with Maple FB.

#407 77 days ago
Quoted from dmieczko:

Guys, there is way too much agreeing here!! This is supposed to be a divisive topic!

Well the best choice did not even make the final four so there is that to argue about....

Since you seem to have quite a variety of necks the ultimate look would be with a dark fretboard with the cool pyramid inlays .( maybe light inlays but I think dark inlays might mesh better with the dark swirls in the body)

#408 73 days ago

Rush, stoner rock, and a little pinball content? Yes, please. Can any eagle eyes name the games?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=360&feature=emb_title&v=mylIvuF_Q8s

#409 73 days ago

3 of mine.

20180518_195008 (resized).jpg
#410 73 days ago
Quoted from Karl_Hungus:

3 of mine.
[quoted image]

I'm sensing a theme but I can't quite figure it out!

3 weeks later
#411 51 days ago

Hey I just released a new music video today! Maybe some of you might enjoy it. I’m the guitarist.

#412 46 days ago

"The Suns got to shine on my guitar one day" -Eric clapton. One reason I have guitar string burns on my fingers.

20200903_151024 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#413 28 days ago

I pulled the muscle in my left ring finger today, and fear I may be out of commission for a bit. It really sucks, because I just started learning the fiddle intro for Old Crow Medicine Show's Wagon Wheel on mandolin. Mobility isn't too bad, but anything on the first or second string is pretty painful.

On the bass front, I'd been doing a Steve Harris deep dive. I have been working on Innocent Exile, Phantom of the Opera, Wrathchild, and Number of the Beast.

I will take the opportunity to add a couple of pics of the latest acquisition. This one isn't mine (although I do play it when she isn't looking). My wife picked up the ukulele over the summer. She is the daughter of a music teacher, one of her under-graduate degrees is in music, and is an accomplished multi-instrumentalist. Not surprisingly, she outgrew the cheap starter uke that she bought in a hot minute. So, I got her this upgrade:

Jazzmaster_Uke_A (resized).png

Jazzmaster_Uke_B (resized).png

Fender Fullerton Jazzmaster ukelele. I really like the neck profile. It sounds good acoustically, and has some nice flair with a little chorus on electric.

#414 27 days ago
5F131955-7FF0-472B-A5D5-151C1A9C8E8F (resized).jpeg
#415 27 days ago

Anyone in the NY area interested in a Rock n Roll Relics Thunders 2 model with MoJo Tone Classic Pick ups. It has custom case and paperwork. Asking 1,700 , they sell for 2,800. Thanks

#416 27 days ago

Always like a silverburst finish

#417 27 days ago

This popped up in my recommendations today. I did like 10 years ago and uploaded 5 years ago. Just having some fun. Not me on the drums made a loop with a drummer and some perc. I'm playing everything else.

1 week later
#418 20 days ago

Getting settled into the new place. Have a nice Little Rock out zone. The antique mandolin is Nancy’s she had it refurbished.

Got a stud finder and still negotiating these plaster walls. I’ll probably just leave it at the mandolin now, it’s only a couple pounds. Don’t think I have the stones to hang the guitars yet.

A52C8A68-0F76-4C3B-AED8-1E7263D9D846 (resized).jpeg
#419 19 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The antique mandolin

You gave me grief about “hobbit rock”, but all the while this was under your roof?!? At least my ‘59 has a p-90! But in all seriousness, I’d like to know more about that A-? series Gibson mandolin. Is there a story there?

Also, props for the Alfred E. Neuman, and the BA in English from Clemson (maybe not in that order, but they both encourage critical thinking).

#420 19 days ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

You gave me grief about “hobbit rock”, but all the while this was under your roof?!? At least my ‘59 has a p-90! But in all seriousness, I’d like to know more about that A-? series Gibson mandolin. Is there a story there?
Also, props for the Alfred E. Neuman, and the BA in English from Clemson (maybe not in that order, but they both encourage critical thinking).

The mandolin belongs to my girlfriend who doesn’t play it. It was passed down from a grandfather I believe. She had it refurbished.

Thought it would look good on the wall and now that I have it tuned it’s fun to dick around with an acoustic instrument!

My critical brain was having serious problems
With the 8 (4?) strings but I’m getting used to it now. And can play smoke on the water.

#421 18 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The mandolin belongs to my girlfriend who doesn’t play it. It was passed down from a grandfather I believe. She had it refurbished.
Thought it would look good on the wall and now that I have it tuned it’s fun to dick around with an acoustic instrument!
My critical brain was having serious problems
With the 8 (4?) strings but I’m getting used to it now. And can play smoke on the water.

Dude you know what song to play with the mandolin. There's only one.

#422 18 days ago

I have the curse of the Lefty, but the pleasure of living within driving distance Southpaw guitars!

The Houston Arcade show is coming up in November which includes a mandatory trip to Southpaw.

I’m currently hunting Stratocasters online...

http://www.arcadecenter.com/

https://www.southpawguitars.com/

#423 18 days ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Ha! Well played.

#424 18 days ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Good thinking!

I have a project for today.

"Where the virgins lie..."

#425 18 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Getting settled into the new place. Have a nice Little Rock out zone. The antique mandolin is Nancy’s she had it refurbished.
Got a stud finder and still negotiating these plaster walls. I’ll probably just leave it at the mandolin now, it’s only a couple pounds. Don’t think I have the stones to hang the guitars yet.
[quoted image]

I had all mine on the wall hangers for a while, but no longer after a few untoward accidents. Plus I live in earthquake country anyway. I hate that they take up room on the floor, but that beats the alternative of possible damage from a fall from that height. I am thinking about some possible alternatives, including keeping each one inside a hard case until its time to play.

guitars 3 black (resized).jpg

#426 18 days ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

I had all mine on the wall hangers for a while, but no longer after a few untoward accidents. Plus I live in earthquake country anyway. I hate that they take up room on the floor, but that beats the alternative of possible damage from a fall from that height. I am thinking about some possible alternatives, including keeping each one inside a hard case until its time to play.
[quoted image]

What kind of damage did your guitars take falling off a wall?

I just can't keep them in their case or I'll never play them, simple as that. Having them out and ready to play makes me play them.

#427 18 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

What kind of damage did your guitars take falling off a wall?
I just can't keep them in their case or I'll never play them, simple as that. Having them out and ready to play makes me play them.

Some scratches, and one took a pretty big hit to the bottom strap post.

I also had an f-up with the Ibanez recently and got a few nicks in some of the frets. I guess it got banged down onto something right on top of the fretboard Taking it to the shop tomorrow.

I totally agree about having them out. But I do find that I tend to favor one to grab and play. So if I have one out ready to go, that should be good. Actually I have the Strat in the hard case right now, it's still like brand new and I don't want to risk damaging it with my carelessness. All the others are older and have their battle scars already, so I don't mind so much. I have hardly played it, I'm not quite sure what to do with it. I bought it on a whim from that sale Vid posted a while back.

My recent favorite go-to has been the Ibanez. I love playing that thing. It's got 9s, super low action, and is tuned down half a step, Hendrix/EVH/Randy Rhoades style.

#428 18 days ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Some scratches, and one took a pretty big hit to the bottom strap post.
I also had an f-up with the Ibanez recently and got a few nicks in some of the frets. I guess it got banged down onto something right on top of the fretboard Taking it to the shop tomorrow.
I totally agree about having them out. But I do find that I tend to favor one to grab and play. So if I have one out ready to go, that should be good. Actually I have the Strat in the hard case right now, it's still like brand new and I don't want to risk damaging it with my carelessness. All the others are older and have their battle scars already, so I don't mind so much. I have hardly played it, I'm not quite sure what to do with it. I bought it on a whim from that sale Vid posted a while back.
My recent favorite go-to has been the Ibanez. I love playing that thing. It's got 9s, super low action, and is tuned down half a step, Hendrix/EVH/Randy Rhoades style.

Sounds like you did pretty well all things considered.

Pretty sure if my two Gibsons fell off the wall I'd have two broken headstocks!

1 week later
#429 5 days ago

Another friend and pinsider pointed me here! Cool I didn’t know there was a guitar crossover thread.

I recorded this a couple days ago..

#430 5 days ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

Another friend and pinsider pointed me here! Cool I didn’t know there was a guitar crossover thread.
I recorded this a couple days ago..

Sweet! Very nicely done, I've got about half of it down, but only the easy parts haha. Someday I'll get there. I may consider everything done and throw away all of the guitars if I can execute it perfectly.

The funny part about this song, way back in the day the last part always sounded so damn cool, and seemed like something that was impossible for one person to play on the guitar. We would try to imagine how the heck that even worked and couldn't come up with anything. But in the end, it turns out that's the easiest part of the song, once you get the tapping down and sort out the pattern.

EVH was just a great legend and an inspiration all the way around.

#431 5 days ago

Got this earlier this summer - along with my other half stack that i've had over 30 years, I can now make a FULL one....

3 (resized).jpgoutput (resized).jpg
#432 5 days ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Got this earlier this summer - along with my other half stack that i've had over 30 years, I can now make a FULL one....[quoted image][quoted image]

Zoomed in on the knobs and couldn’t tell, but I’m just gonna assume they all look like this.

5B0EA7B5-FD09-4621-86A1-6CBDAD054A2E (resized).jpeg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.25
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple
$ 4.00
Electronics
Z-connector (24 pin) Out of stock
Professor Pinball
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Bent Mods
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
PinBoss Mods
$ 9.95
$ 39.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Concealed Art
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 275.00
$ 239.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 209.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Docquest Pinball Mods
$ 30.40
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
$ 17.00
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 9,500.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
There are 432 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 9.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside