image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_5339 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5340 (resized).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-02-29 at 20.43.40_b9a2c7eb (resized).jpg
104128260_10103386995236597_269874850723770498_n (resized).jpg
20240206_184407 (resized).jpg
20240206_184418 (resized).jpg

There are 1,595 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 32.
#401 3 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

You have that beautiful green-swirl body. That should be the center of attention. That’s why I originally went with the rosewood dot neck and color matched green pickups. You want those elements to disappear. I feel like the other feature options just compete with what should be the primary focus: the color dipped guitar body.

Whatever way you go, I really appreciate your sharing your process here. That was a bold move, to take a guitar that you have owned for so long and risk the plunge. Well done!

Thank you. And thanks to everyone for your advice. I posted this on a couple of my guitar forums too, and the consensus is definitely with the maple fretboard with the pyramid inlays. The disagreement is definitely with the pickup color - about half are for green and half for the purple. Some actually suggested doing a different color in both the neck and bridge positions, which I certainly could do. This will be a last second decision, after I reshape and finish the neck. When it's complete and reassembled (in a few weeks) I will post the final result!

#402 3 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

You have that beautiful green-swirl body. That should be the center of attention. That’s why I originally went with the rosewood dot neck and color matched green pickups. You want those elements to disappear. I feel like the other feature options just compete with what should be the primary focus: the color dipped guitar body.
Whatever way you go, I really appreciate your sharing your process here. That was a bold move, to take a guitar that you have owned for so long and risk the plunge. Well done!

I agree completely with this analysis, original upper left!

#403 3 years ago

I like the green pick ups with the colored inlays the best.

#404 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

I agree completely with this analysis, original upper left!

I agree completely with this agreement!

#405 3 years ago
Quoted from RocketFromTombs:

I agree completely with this agreement

Guys, there is way too much agreeing here!! This is supposed to be a divisive topic!

#406 3 years ago
Quoted from RocketFromTombs:

I agree completely with this agreement!

Agree. Green PU with Maple FB.

#407 3 years ago
Quoted from dmieczko:

Guys, there is way too much agreeing here!! This is supposed to be a divisive topic!

Well the best choice did not even make the final four so there is that to argue about....

Since you seem to have quite a variety of necks the ultimate look would be with a dark fretboard with the cool pyramid inlays .( maybe light inlays but I think dark inlays might mesh better with the dark swirls in the body)

#408 3 years ago

Rush, stoner rock, and a little pinball content? Yes, please. Can any eagle eyes name the games?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=360&feature=emb_title&v=mylIvuF_Q8s

#409 3 years ago

3 of mine.

20180518_195008 (resized).jpg20180518_195008 (resized).jpg
#410 3 years ago
Quoted from Karl_Hungus:

3 of mine.
[quoted image]

I'm sensing a theme but I can't quite figure it out!

3 weeks later
#411 3 years ago

Hey I just released a new music video today! Maybe some of you might enjoy it. I’m the guitarist.

#412 3 years ago

"The Suns got to shine on my guitar one day" -Eric clapton. One reason I have guitar string burns on my fingers.

20200903_151024 (resized).jpg20200903_151024 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#413 3 years ago

I pulled the muscle in my left ring finger today, and fear I may be out of commission for a bit. It really sucks, because I just started learning the fiddle intro for Old Crow Medicine Show's Wagon Wheel on mandolin. Mobility isn't too bad, but anything on the first or second string is pretty painful.

On the bass front, I'd been doing a Steve Harris deep dive. I have been working on Innocent Exile, Phantom of the Opera, Wrathchild, and Number of the Beast.

I will take the opportunity to add a couple of pics of the latest acquisition. This one isn't mine (although I do play it when she isn't looking). My wife picked up the ukulele over the summer. She is the daughter of a music teacher, one of her under-graduate degrees is in music, and is an accomplished multi-instrumentalist. Not surprisingly, she outgrew the cheap starter uke that she bought in a hot minute. So, I got her this upgrade:

Jazzmaster_Uke_A (resized).pngJazzmaster_Uke_A (resized).png

Jazzmaster_Uke_B (resized).pngJazzmaster_Uke_B (resized).png

Fender Fullerton Jazzmaster ukelele. I really like the neck profile. It sounds good acoustically, and has some nice flair with a little chorus on electric.

#414 3 years ago
5F131955-7FF0-472B-A5D5-151C1A9C8E8F (resized).jpeg5F131955-7FF0-472B-A5D5-151C1A9C8E8F (resized).jpeg
#415 3 years ago

Anyone in the NY area interested in a Rock n Roll Relics Thunders 2 model with MoJo Tone Classic Pick ups. It has custom case and paperwork. Asking 1,700 , they sell for 2,800. Thanks

#417 3 years ago

This popped up in my recommendations today. I did like 10 years ago and uploaded 5 years ago. Just having some fun. Not me on the drums made a loop with a drummer and some perc. I'm playing everything else.

1 week later
#418 3 years ago

Getting settled into the new place. Have a nice Little Rock out zone. The antique mandolin is Nancy’s she had it refurbished.

Got a stud finder and still negotiating these plaster walls. I’ll probably just leave it at the mandolin now, it’s only a couple pounds. Don’t think I have the stones to hang the guitars yet.

A52C8A68-0F76-4C3B-AED8-1E7263D9D846 (resized).jpegA52C8A68-0F76-4C3B-AED8-1E7263D9D846 (resized).jpeg
#419 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The antique mandolin

You gave me grief about “hobbit rock”, but all the while this was under your roof?!? At least my ‘59 has a p-90! But in all seriousness, I’d like to know more about that A-? series Gibson mandolin. Is there a story there?

Also, props for the Alfred E. Neuman, and the BA in English from Clemson (maybe not in that order, but they both encourage critical thinking).

#420 3 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

You gave me grief about “hobbit rock”, but all the while this was under your roof?!? At least my ‘59 has a p-90! But in all seriousness, I’d like to know more about that A-? series Gibson mandolin. Is there a story there?
Also, props for the Alfred E. Neuman, and the BA in English from Clemson (maybe not in that order, but they both encourage critical thinking).

The mandolin belongs to my girlfriend who doesn’t play it. It was passed down from a grandfather I believe. She had it refurbished.

Thought it would look good on the wall and now that I have it tuned it’s fun to dick around with an acoustic instrument!

My critical brain was having serious problems
With the 8 (4?) strings but I’m getting used to it now. And can play smoke on the water.

#421 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The mandolin belongs to my girlfriend who doesn’t play it. It was passed down from a grandfather I believe. She had it refurbished.
Thought it would look good on the wall and now that I have it tuned it’s fun to dick around with an acoustic instrument!
My critical brain was having serious problems
With the 8 (4?) strings but I’m getting used to it now. And can play smoke on the water.

Dude you know what song to play with the mandolin. There's only one.

#422 3 years ago

I have the curse of the Lefty, but the pleasure of living within driving distance Southpaw guitars!

The Houston Arcade show is coming up in November which includes a mandatory trip to Southpaw.

I’m currently hunting Stratocasters online...

http://www.arcadecenter.com/

https://www.southpawguitars.com/

#423 3 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Ha! Well played.

#424 3 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Good thinking!

I have a project for today.

"Where the virgins lie..."

#425 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Getting settled into the new place. Have a nice Little Rock out zone. The antique mandolin is Nancy’s she had it refurbished.
Got a stud finder and still negotiating these plaster walls. I’ll probably just leave it at the mandolin now, it’s only a couple pounds. Don’t think I have the stones to hang the guitars yet.
[quoted image]

I had all mine on the wall hangers for a while, but no longer after a few untoward accidents. Plus I live in earthquake country anyway. I hate that they take up room on the floor, but that beats the alternative of possible damage from a fall from that height. I am thinking about some possible alternatives, including keeping each one inside a hard case until its time to play.

guitars 3 black (resized).jpgguitars 3 black (resized).jpg

#426 3 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

I had all mine on the wall hangers for a while, but no longer after a few untoward accidents. Plus I live in earthquake country anyway. I hate that they take up room on the floor, but that beats the alternative of possible damage from a fall from that height. I am thinking about some possible alternatives, including keeping each one inside a hard case until its time to play.
[quoted image]

What kind of damage did your guitars take falling off a wall?

I just can't keep them in their case or I'll never play them, simple as that. Having them out and ready to play makes me play them.

#427 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

What kind of damage did your guitars take falling off a wall?
I just can't keep them in their case or I'll never play them, simple as that. Having them out and ready to play makes me play them.

Some scratches, and one took a pretty big hit to the bottom strap post.

I also had an f-up with the Ibanez recently and got a few nicks in some of the frets. I guess it got banged down onto something right on top of the fretboard Taking it to the shop tomorrow.

I totally agree about having them out. But I do find that I tend to favor one to grab and play. So if I have one out ready to go, that should be good. Actually I have the Strat in the hard case right now, it's still like brand new and I don't want to risk damaging it with my carelessness. All the others are older and have their battle scars already, so I don't mind so much. I have hardly played it, I'm not quite sure what to do with it. I bought it on a whim from that sale Vid posted a while back.

My recent favorite go-to has been the Ibanez. I love playing that thing. It's got 9s, super low action, and is tuned down half a step, Hendrix/EVH/Randy Rhoades style.

#428 3 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Some scratches, and one took a pretty big hit to the bottom strap post.
I also had an f-up with the Ibanez recently and got a few nicks in some of the frets. I guess it got banged down onto something right on top of the fretboard Taking it to the shop tomorrow.
I totally agree about having them out. But I do find that I tend to favor one to grab and play. So if I have one out ready to go, that should be good. Actually I have the Strat in the hard case right now, it's still like brand new and I don't want to risk damaging it with my carelessness. All the others are older and have their battle scars already, so I don't mind so much. I have hardly played it, I'm not quite sure what to do with it. I bought it on a whim from that sale Vid posted a while back.
My recent favorite go-to has been the Ibanez. I love playing that thing. It's got 9s, super low action, and is tuned down half a step, Hendrix/EVH/Randy Rhoades style.

Sounds like you did pretty well all things considered.

Pretty sure if my two Gibsons fell off the wall I'd have two broken headstocks!

1 week later
#429 3 years ago

Another friend and pinsider pointed me here! Cool I didn’t know there was a guitar crossover thread.

I recorded this a couple days ago..

#430 3 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

Another friend and pinsider pointed me here! Cool I didn’t know there was a guitar crossover thread.
I recorded this a couple days ago..

Sweet! Very nicely done, I've got about half of it down, but only the easy parts haha. Someday I'll get there. I may consider everything done and throw away all of the guitars if I can execute it perfectly.

The funny part about this song, way back in the day the last part always sounded so damn cool, and seemed like something that was impossible for one person to play on the guitar. We would try to imagine how the heck that even worked and couldn't come up with anything. But in the end, it turns out that's the easiest part of the song, once you get the tapping down and sort out the pattern.

EVH was just a great legend and an inspiration all the way around.

#431 3 years ago

Got this earlier this summer - along with my other half stack that i've had over 30 years, I can now make a FULL one....

3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpgoutput (resized).jpgoutput (resized).jpg
#432 3 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Got this earlier this summer - along with my other half stack that i've had over 30 years, I can now make a FULL one....[quoted image][quoted image]

Zoomed in on the knobs and couldn’t tell, but I’m just gonna assume they all look like this.

5B0EA7B5-FD09-4621-86A1-6CBDAD054A2E (resized).jpeg5B0EA7B5-FD09-4621-86A1-6CBDAD054A2E (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#433 3 years ago

I was thinking of picking up a Rainsong and was wondering if anyone here had one and some feedback on them, Thanks

#434 3 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Zoomed in on the knobs and couldn’t tell, but I’m just gonna assume they all look like this.
[quoted image]

Even better. The JCM-900 series went to 20!

26F0B8C7-EB4E-4F76-8FB1-02E698AD112C (resized).jpeg26F0B8C7-EB4E-4F76-8FB1-02E698AD112C (resized).jpeg
#435 3 years ago

More for the guitar builders - I just acquired the sickest snakewood log I have ever seen. Snakewood is one of the rarest and hardest woods in the world and is perfect for guitar fretboards. This log comes in at 18.5" so I can get 4 or 5 22-fret fretboards out of this (if my cutting skills are good)... Wow, look at that grain!

snake-log1 (resized).jpgsnake-log1 (resized).jpgsnake-log2 (resized).jpgsnake-log2 (resized).jpg
#436 3 years ago
Quoted from dmieczko:

More for the guitar builders - I just acquired the sickest snakewood log I have ever seen. Snakewood is one of the rarest and hardest woods in the world and is perfect for guitar fretboards. This log comes in at 18.5" so I can get 4 or 5 22-fret fretboards out of this (if my cutting skills are good)... Wow, look at that grain!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Beautiful! The frog of my cello bow is snakewood.

#437 3 years ago
Quoted from dmieczko:

Wow, look at that grain!

Holy Cow!

You plan on selling any of those boards?

I've got a Indian Rosewood neck leftover from the Baker Guitars Auction and I need a fretboard for it
...was thinking of going Ebony...but that snakewood would be pretty sweet.

#438 3 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Holy Cow!
You plan on selling any of those boards?
I've got a Indian Rosewood neck leftover from the Baker Guitars Auction and I need a fretboard for it
...was thinking of going Ebony...but that snakewood would be pretty sweet.

If I can successfully cut 4 or 5 boards, I’ll be able to sell a couple...

#439 3 years ago

Tough wood! But I’m getting some beauties.

7CA8E803-8A00-4A52-9542-9D19E5B9DEA6 (resized).jpeg7CA8E803-8A00-4A52-9542-9D19E5B9DEA6 (resized).jpegA1DB9FAB-1EC1-4C5E-A3BE-A4379F38747E (resized).jpegA1DB9FAB-1EC1-4C5E-A3BE-A4379F38747E (resized).jpeg
#440 3 years ago
Quoted from dmieczko:

Tough wood! But I’m getting some beauties.

That is a really special looking piece of wood. I wish I had a little more experience in building, I'd gladly take one off your hands. I've been wanting to build an Ibanez RG style "classy" guitar for years. A decent mahogany body with a translucent maple top. I feel like the current Prestige tried, but missed the mark. I have an 87 that is just magic. I have an RG 1200 that is close, but the neck isn't as good as my original RG 550.

#441 3 years ago

Here is the RG 550. I believe it's a 1st year. I think I bought it at Daddy's Junky Music on Commonwealth Ave in Boston in the 90's when these were considered trash. I'm sure I didn't pay more than a few hundred bucks for it. Maybe $300. I was visiting my mother for dinner in the late 90's, probably a weekend home from Berklee and my car spontaneously combusted. 1985 Toyota Tercel just lit up in flames while we were eating dinner. Fire department pulled out the guitars, this one has some cosmetic damage, but still plays perfect. The 2nd guitar in the fire was an RG 1200. I feel like it was never the same so I sold it. I eventually found another RG 1200 and will never sell either guitar. The car was completely totaled.

2020-10-30 23.28.56 (resized).jpg2020-10-30 23.28.56 (resized).jpg2020-10-30 23.29.07 (resized).jpg2020-10-30 23.29.07 (resized).jpg
#442 3 years ago

holy crap check out this thread... havent come across this one before.

Good to see guitar guys representing.

Been playing all my life and was a session guy and engineer in NY and California for years off and on. Last few years did some Nashville based stuff but have laid pretty low on the music side last decade or so.

I never did music as a "job" but was in a ton of bands, engineered and played on a bunch of records over the years.

Doing a project with Steve Morse over the last few months off and on (I got him to play and compose the verses on one of my weirdo tunes). If we decide to release it I'll post a link to it up here.

#443 3 years ago

since its a guitar pic thread here is my main one for years.

Been set on fire, thrown at people, played tons of shows and generally been beaten to death over 25 years or so. Fingerboard is black dirty in spots just from years of live gig gunk.

Looked new when I got it.

I had to re-fret it a few years ago and kind of regret doing it but it wasnt that playable anymore otherwise, should have just left it as it was.

IMG_0903 (resized).jpgIMG_0903 (resized).jpg

#444 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

holy crap check out this thread... havent come across this one before.
Good to see guitar guys representing.
Been playing all my life and was a session guy and engineer in NY and California for years off and on. Last few years did some Nashville based stuff but have laid pretty low on the music side last decade or so.
I never did music as a "job" but was in a ton of bands, engineered and played on a bunch of records over the years.
Doing a project with Steve Morse over the last few months off and on (I got him to play and compose the verses on one of my weirdo tunes). If we decide to release it I'll post a link to it up here.

Wow! Working with one of my favorite most under rated gtr players of our time, Dixie Dregs(his band and best material) Steve Morse band, Kansas, Deep Purple for like the past 20 yrs. You must be a fantastic player.

#445 3 years ago
Quoted from ghostbc:

Wow! Working with one of my favorite most under rated gtr players of our time, Dixie Dregs(his band and best material) Steve Morse band, Kansas, Deep Purple for like the past 20 yrs. You must be a fantastic player.

I can hold my own with anyone but I play by ear and I am not as technical as he is (who is really?).  

It’s a bit odd couple because I don’t know jack shit theory wise so if he asks me “what chord is that?” or something I usually don’t know the proper name even though I wrote the thing. There are some weird chords in it. I sent him a pic of my hand once so he knew where I was putting my fingers.

I sound like me I guess… I can play in lots of styles (and play a few instruments) but I tend to go for things that are not “normal”guitar lick kind of things. I think that’s one of the reasons he likes it because it’s a bit out of his wheelhouse.

His stuff is more melodic on this than face melting. Be interesting to see how it comes out.. really up to him if it gets released or not. Either way he is one of the nicer dudes you would ever spend time with so a pleasure to deal with that way. 

P.S. yah I hear ya I love the Dregs. I never get sick of them and probably started listening in the early 80s. One of the few bands where I think I have every single thing they ever recorded in my itunes.

#446 3 years ago

Here is a fun guitar in my quiver, a 1991 Fender Talon. Made in Japan with its cousin the RG.

F85B9290-D413-4426-BE47-8029E98667A5 (resized).jpegF85B9290-D413-4426-BE47-8029E98667A5 (resized).jpegFF485D53-2FFE-4D65-8028-34A493E5EE5B (resized).jpegFF485D53-2FFE-4D65-8028-34A493E5EE5B (resized).jpeg
#447 3 years ago

Looks like the log gave me 5 incredible fretboards. Les Paul style board shown for size reference. Fronts and backs shown.

3F3F16B5-CF8D-4C6D-B876-A70968744440 (resized).jpeg3F3F16B5-CF8D-4C6D-B876-A70968744440 (resized).jpegC9EBA69B-FA5A-4AAC-8E6C-AF33B7DE004A (resized).jpegC9EBA69B-FA5A-4AAC-8E6C-AF33B7DE004A (resized).jpeg
#448 3 years ago

Awesome looking boards!

I am down if you would like to sell one. Would look killer on that Rosewood neck blank I have here.

#449 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

Here is the RG 550. I believe it's a 1st year. I think I bought it at Daddy's Junky Music on Commonwealth Ave in Boston in the 90's when these were considered trash. I'm sure I didn't pay more than a few hundred bucks for it. Maybe $300. I was visiting my mother for dinner in the late 90's, probably a weekend home from Berklee and my car spontaneously combusted. 1985 Toyota Tercel just lit up in flames while we were eating dinner. Fire department pulled out the guitars, this one has some cosmetic damage, but still plays perfect. The 2nd guitar in the fire was an RG 1200. I feel like it was never the same so I sold it. I eventually found another RG 1200 and will never sell either guitar. The car was completely totaled.

Nice to see an Egnater Renegade here. It’s the best amp that nobody knows about. I love the way it sounds and am sad it’s not being made anymore.

#450 3 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Nice to see an Egnater Renegade here. It’s the best amp that nobody knows about. I love the way it sounds and am sad it’s not being made anymore.

It's a great little amp! I got a fantastic deal on it too, I think I paid $300 or 400 used.

There are 1,595 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 32.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-guitar-players-and-guitar-stuff-needs-more-vid/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.