0E530017-976F-4BE5-B087-454D79432CB5 (resized).jpeg
split coil (resized).jpg
RZ guitar (resized).jpg
EVH guitar (resized).jpg
RZVH guitars (resized).jpg
livingroomguitars (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
There are 1,622 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 33.
#301 3 years ago

https://keepsleeping.bandcamp.com/album/sleep-sessions

I just released one of these really long really boring albums for sleep this past week. It's a full 10 hours of live processed guitar works designed to help guide you through a full night's sleep. All guitar, no post processing (other than playing the tape back a little slow).

#302 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

https://keepsleeping.bandcamp.com/album/sleep-sessions
I just released one of these really long really boring albums for sleep this past week. It's a full 10 hours of live processed guitar works designed to help guide you through a full night's sleep. All guitar, no post processing (other than playing the tape back a little slow).

Digging this!

#303 3 years ago

thought you guys might get a kick out of this creation . a few years back I got inspired to pick up the electric guitar again after hearing stormy Monday by the allmans driving home one late night. of course I would need a " dark burst" just like duane so lo and behold I found an Epiphone PLus top on ebay, tobacco burst with black back and neck with Duncan ? blues?" pickups. the burst painting was very heavy handed leaving just an amber circle in the middle of the guitar. the price was right so I got it.

played and sounded ok but felt kind of dead and really heavy and had a really thick finish on it . so I got the idea to strip it and spray my own burst, easy right? I am pretty happy playing about any guitar but it seems true that while the cheap ones look fine the stuff you don't see is not that great, . stripping the finish was not easy using a heat gun and some chemical remover I got some areas to peel off, thick and super tough could be used as skid plate under a car probably, what seemed to be a flame veneer on the top was actually a tissue thin layer of veneer air brushed to simulate flame. the back and sides had a "similar 'mahogany" layer. ended up sanding everything off with a belt sander and 60 grit paper. the neck which was painted black originally actually had a scarf joint in the upper third!! all good except the body of the guitar is some type of nondescript softwood (maybe luan?) that has a bunch of knots on the front too deep to sand off.

so I say what the hell this is gonna be real vintage so stained the back and neck using some cherry stain and using a can of amber and a can of red nitro spray paint from stew mac painted it up , the burst pattern is decent but the amber which looks really orange combined with the red is really bright like a freshly poured teguilla sunrise and does not cover the knots at all. I decide to spray the whole thing red but of course the nitro pain is pretty translucent so all the knots are visible. I decided I could live with the knots and sprayed a few coats of nitro clear and wet sanded, reassembled , it is about 2 pounds lighter!
so it went back on the wall to be played on a regular basis , sounds and plays fine for me.

Drinking a nice coconut brown ale the other night and noticed that the label is a high quality decal that can be peeled off, loved the rasta iguana playing the bongos and got the idea " I wonder if this would cover the knots " . ended up with this .

20200518_194818 (resized).jpg20200518_194818 (resized).jpg

#304 3 years ago

That’s really cool. What’s the story ?

#305 3 years ago

story added

#306 3 years ago

Another block of hard and stinky rock for you...

The next one might not be live the pressure is starting to get to me!

#307 3 years ago

I haven't played this one in some time, not sure why. It was probably the dead-ass strings on it. So, I just strung it up with some NOS Brite Wires. I hit the fretboard with a little conditioner and gave it a quick polish. It cleaned up nice. I plugged it into my little GA-5 and instantly remembered what I love about this guitar: a nice fast neck and tone to die for. Gibson ES-335 in Beale Street Blue:

ES-335 BSB 1 (resized).pngES-335 BSB 1 (resized).png

ES-335 BSB 2 (resized).pngES-335 BSB 2 (resized).png

Speaking of Beale Street, if you get to Memphis, the Gibson factory there is worth a visit. I think it's the only one of the three that is open to the public.

53 Blue ES-335 Final Assembly (resized).jpg53 Blue ES-335 Final Assembly (resized).jpg

#308 3 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous never seen a 355 like that.

Never played a 355 either. What’s it like?

How come nobody in metal plays one?

#309 3 years ago

The 335 was the first semi-hollowbody. It’s got a big plank of solid maple through the center, so sustain is good. The hollow sides add to the tone. It’s way heavier than it looks. Mine is what they were calling a ‘reissue’ at the time it came out. It has ‘57 PAF humbuckers. Alex Lifeson played a 335 at times (although I don’t really think of Rush as metal). Chuck Berry, Clapton, Warren Haynes, Alvin Lee, Dave Grohl all played 335s or variants. You can definitely get dirty with it, but the body was probably too big for the classic metal era. You can’t sling it around like a Jackson or ESP.

#310 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Absolutely gorgeous never seen a 355 like that.
Never played a 355 either. What’s it like?

That chooch from the Foo Fighters plays one if you want to consider them metal. Half way there I guess.

#311 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

what the hell did i just watch????

#312 3 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

what the hell did i just watch????

You just experienced music for the first time, my friend!

#313 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Excellent. Still love the O’s hat.

#314 3 years ago

Sorry I couldn't make the live performance again, but definitely enjoyed the replay!

#315 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The second the fog hit the fan, I laughed tears of joy for 2 minutes straight.

P.S: Pinsider with the most accurate name for their real life counterpart goes to you, friend!

#316 3 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

I haven't played this one in some time, not sure why. It was probably the dead-ass strings on it. So, I just strung it up with some NOS Brite Wires. I hit the fretboard with a little conditioner and gave it a quick polish. It cleaned up nice. I plugged it into my little GA-5 and instantly remembered what I love about this guitar: a nice fast neck and tone to die for. Gibson ES-335 in Beale Street Blue:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Speaking of Beale Street, if you get to Memphis, the Gibson factory there is worth a visit. I think it's the only one of the three that is open to the public.
[quoted image]

That is such a beautiful guitar. Nothing like a good 335.

#317 3 years ago

It really is beautiful. I've been wanting a 335 for a while because they just look so. damn. good.

#318 3 years ago

Thanks, guys. It looks even better in person. The blue ones are pretty hard to find. They've only done a couple of very limited runs of them over the years. I bought mine new in early 2006 (the serial indicates a 2005 build date). I toured the Memphis factory a couple months later and took that picture of the blue one getting finished. It was the only one on the factory floor at the time.

Mine has the 60s slim profile neck, which I've come to really like. I took me a little while to adjust to it, though. Both my SG and Les Paul have the 50s profile (some call it the tree trunk). The larger radius never bothered me, maybe because I play a lot of acoustic. Switching to the slim 335 took a little adjustment, but it really is a sweet, fast player.

Overall, the ES 335 is probably the most versatile electric Gibson makes. It can range from a rich, clean tone full of soul to a screaming howl at will. Really, the only downside is size and weight.

#319 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Geez. Apparently you guys don't like jazz-rock fusion.
The ES-335 was the top guitar for jazz-rock musicians like Lee Ritenour and Larry Carlton (also known as Mr. 335) and others.

Which doesn't bode well for me, since all I write and play is instrumental jazz-rock (although I'm a Fender Stratocaster guy).

#320 3 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Truer words never spoken.

Sincerely,
Mr. I Probably Have The Most Alienating Taste In Music Of All Time.

#321 3 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Apparently you guys don't like jazz-rock fusion.

That couldn't be further from the truth. I'm a big fan of Al DiMeola, Return to Forever, Mahavishnu, Shadowfax, etc. etc. I love me some 70s fusion. I just saw Chick Corea last Fall.

#322 3 years ago

Al once molested one of my PRS Sigs for about 30 minutes. That poor guitar still pines for the guy.

#323 3 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

The ES-335 was the top guitar for jazz-rock musicians like Lee Ritenour and Larry Carlton (also known as Mr. 335) and others.
Which doesn't bode well for me, since all I write and play is instrumental jazz-rock (although I'm a Fender Stratocaster guy).

All I know is Chuck Berry and BBKing probably sold a million 335s for Gibson over the years.

#324 3 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

Thanks, guys. It looks even better in person. The blue ones are pretty hard to find. They've only done a couple of very limited runs of them over the years. I bought mine new in early 2006 (the serial indicates a 2005 build date). I toured the Memphis factory a couple months later and took that picture of the blue one getting finished. It was the only one on the factory floor at the time.
Mine has the 60s slim profile neck, which I've come to really like. I took me a little while to adjust to it, though. Both my SG and Les Paul have the 50s profile (some call it the tree trunk). The larger radius never bothered me, maybe because I play a lot of acoustic. Switching to the slim 335 took a little adjustment, but it really is a sweet, fast player.
Overall, the ES 335 is probably the most versatile electric Gibson makes. It can range from a rich, clean tone full of soul to a screaming howl at will. Really, the only downside is size and weight.

Does it weigh as much or more than your average Les Paul?

#325 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Does it weigh as much or more than your average Les Paul?

I would have thought it was heavier, but I just checked. Both my Les Paul and my 335 weigh in at 8.2 lbs. each.

#326 3 years ago

That’s light as shit for a Les Paul!

I had a 70s one must have weighed 15 pounds lol

I think my current one is around 12

#327 3 years ago

Mines a Studio. It's just a solid mahogany body without the maple top. It does have Burstbuckers, though.

#328 3 years ago

$499 in 2004 for a U.S. built Gibson Les Paul with the same Burstbucker pickups as the standard (later ones shipped with the 498/490 combo).

LP Studio (resized).pngLP Studio (resized).png

#329 3 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

$499 in 2004 for a U.S. built Gibson Les Paul with the same Burstbucker pickups as the standard (later ones shipped with the 498/490 combo).
[quoted image]

Great deal and looks nice. I love that they started to put the trap inlays on the studios.

Here's a very good price on a silverburst studio in Jersey. Never heard of an ebony fret board on a studio before:
newjersey.craigslist.org link

#330 3 years ago

LEVI I have a Covid19 song I want to send to you to help me with a ballad solo towards the end of the song .

#331 3 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

I would have thought it was heavier, but I just checked. Both my Les Paul and my 335 weigh in at 8.2 lbs. each.

My Les Paul (I believe it's a '90) is over 10 lbs. It's a scoliosis machine.

#332 3 years ago

Santas coming..still deciding on electric guitar/ have custom built through this thread. I want to support small business.
I can send measurements of my fat Lego fingers.

#333 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Santas coming..still deciding on electric guitar/have custom built through this thread. I want to support small business.
I can send measurements of my fat Lego fingers.

1 week later
#334 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Dang, we are working on Subdivisions right now, which is decidedly NOT a hard guitar song, but I play keys and sing in the band as well, so it's an octopus challenge. Our bassist keeps bringing up Necromancer. I'd love to do that!

Necromancer yet?

#335 3 years ago

Anybody have a song they want some pedal steel on? I learn best through doing usually, I'd be happy to give anything a try that comes my way!

#336 3 years ago

I do ,,,a song dedicated to the covid front line ...it might work
Can you pm email me an address I can attach the song to?

#337 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

LEVI I have a Covid19 song I want to send to you to help me with a ballad solo towards the end of the song .

Bring it on !!!

#338 3 years ago

Can you pm me your number Levi?

#339 3 years ago

Song emailed Levi...hope you like it..my whistling is where your solo comes in ..feel free to experiment.
Cheers!

#340 3 years ago

I got drugs in me pocket and I don’t know what to do with them,,,Your old if you recognize those lyrics! English punk band

#341 3 years ago

I've got one hand in my pocket . . . what's my other hand doing?

A) giving a high five
B) flicking a cigarette
C) giving a peace sign
D) playing the piano
E) hailing a taxi cab
F) all of the above

#342 3 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I've got one hand in my pocket . . . what's my other hand doing?
A) giving a high five
B) flicking a cigarette
C) giving a peace sign
D) playing the piano
E) hailing a taxi cab
F) all of the above

I don't really give a shit. I'm more interested in what that hand in your pocket is doing.

#343 3 years ago

Ordered a copy of Pete Townsend white city. My Copy did not survive well through the years. better than empty glass I think.

#344 3 years ago

I multitrack record my own instrumental jazz-rock compositions. Sometimes I play all the parts myself. Other times I play guitar, bass and keyboards and have some friends over to add drums, sax and synthesizer parts. We say those songs are by The Phantom Band, because they all know me but they have never met each other.

If you're interested send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll e-mail a wma file of my song The Journey performed by The Phantom Band, with Mark on drums and Rich on sax (playing my melody line) and an Oberheim OBX solo by Jim in the middle (and me playing everything else). And, of course, Mark and Rich and Jim have never met each other.

#345 3 years ago

New projects I've started...

IMG_2917 (resized).jpgIMG_2917 (resized).jpgIMG_2950 (resized).jpgIMG_2950 (resized).jpgIMG_2984 (resized).JPGIMG_2984 (resized).JPGbody7-frontb (resized).JPGbody7-frontb (resized).JPGbody8-fronta (resized).JPGbody8-fronta (resized).JPG
#346 3 years ago

That inlay is amazing and the bodies are too! What woods are they?

#347 3 years ago

Thanks! In order - 1-piece flamed maple, walnut burl, then two bookmatched quilted maple.

#348 3 years ago

Wow that inlay is incredible.

I just ordered all the parts to build (assemble) my first Tele. Here's the list:

59 roundback birdseye maple neck from Warmoth with stainless steel 6150 frets
(Temporary) 3 tone sunburst body from Eden guitars (eventually I will get a black Warmoth body with double white binding)
Texas Special pickups in both neck and bridge
Obsidianwire solderless 4-way wiring kit (adds a 4th position that runs both pickups like a humbucker)
Hipshot tuners with universal mounting plates that eliminate the need to drill into the headstock for perfect alignment
Gotoh standard Tele bridge
Warmoth white/black/white pickguard
Genuine fender accoutrements - control plate, knobs, etc.

Here's the inspiration for this build:
Dream Guitar(1) (resized).jpgDream Guitar(1) (resized).jpg

And here's what the temporary body will look like:
cbf4ee1c291e13c80ccc89b9b9b8bd7d_1080x (resized).jpgcbf4ee1c291e13c80ccc89b9b9b8bd7d_1080x (resized).jpg

#349 3 years ago

Nice Bookmatch on that Maple Top. You do nice work.

#350 3 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

59 roundback birdseye maple neck from Warmoth with stainless steel 6150 frets

I've always wanted to build a Tele with a Warmoth Gibson conversion scale v-neck. That is my DREAM tele.

There are 1,622 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 33.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-guitar-players-and-guitar-stuff-needs-more-vid/page/7?hl=guss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.