image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_5339 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5340 (resized).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-02-29 at 20.43.40_b9a2c7eb (resized).jpg
104128260_10103386995236597_269874850723770498_n (resized).jpg
20240206_184407 (resized).jpg
20240206_184418 (resized).jpg

There are 1,595 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 32.
#251 3 years ago

I can't stand Neil Young. Only thing worse, imo, is Lou Reed.

#252 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Hey gang!
Got 30 minutes to kill? You can see my stream here:

That was the most amazing thing I've ever seen, and I once saw a whale giving birth! Ha, Gotcha!

#254 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That’s the idea. Pandemic music doesn’t have to be a stationary camera and a piano!

I would also add, crap songs. I am sick of hearing the same tired non-inspiring boring insipid songs, sung with that veneer of earnestness of how the singer and all of us are so suffering. Its all garbage. Your song selection was impeccable, and the performance was inspiring rather than depressing.

#255 3 years ago

Awesome thanks for the kind words of rock!

#256 3 years ago

You really got your shit together Levi

#257 3 years ago

Someone needs a trip on the satellite of love! There’s some great Lou Reed stuff. He was supposedly a legendary asshole but that doesn’t really matter to me.

And I once saw him get into a limo with William Shatner !!!

#258 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Hey gang!

Wow, this is what we need. Great Fucking job! I don’t play guitar so I have never visited this thread, but I am soooo glad I did today. Kicking off the set with “Breaking the Law” while in quarantine- total rock move. Thanks for posting the stream.
Stay strong, stay safe!

#259 3 years ago

Here is the Danelectro Baritone my wife still has,
she sold the regular longhorn on ebay about 10 days ago.
baritone IMG_0793 (resized).JPGbaritone IMG_0793 (resized).JPG

#260 3 years ago

Rainbow wall pic shows my current guitars (7 string and an acoustic somewhat hidden). I only own cheap guitars these days, but modded to my liking (and I prefer them all to the expensive guitars I've owned in the past, even if not quite as cool looking as the Jackson WR1s or Dave Mustaine Sig [my entire collection combined these days is worth less than any one of those or the '97 LP Classic]). Pinball takes all my funds these days, haha Don't have any of those amps these days either (and admittedly never put them to proper use anyway).

Some other guitars I've had over the years are below. The red strat (MIM '95) was my very first guitar. Rainbow pic shows what it has become, but individual pic is stock.

Unfortunately I haven't been playing much over the last 1.5 years. Had been putting most of my time into mods and my (now former) relationship.

I did post a clip of me playing to my FB today if anyone is curious (as well as a karaoke beneath--finally cracked enough over this last month to post to social media [between my breakup and the lockdown situation]): https://www.facebook.com/gregory.s.jones.50

I also wrote and performed all the instruments/vocals on my Iron Maiden tomb mod clip (aside from the drum machine):

(That mod was permanently discontinued in case anyone asks).

20200426_234215 (resized).jpg20200426_234215 (resized).jpgDMJackson1 (resized).JPGDMJackson1 (resized).JPGDSC00647 (resized).JPGDSC00647 (resized).JPGESP (resized).JPGESP (resized).JPGGibsonLPClassic (resized).JPGGibsonLPClassic (resized).JPGGuitar2 (resized).JPGGuitar2 (resized).JPGGuitar4 (resized).JPGGuitar4 (resized).JPGRKB900x2 (resized).JPGRKB900x2 (resized).JPG
#261 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Before I had to get a full time job (long story, involves that drunk driver) I used to tour full time playing "lead guitar" with Lina Tullgren. This was before I was as deep into my pinball journey as I am now. Sometimes I think of cities I used to play in that now have collections that I'm in love with and just had no idea they were there. But then again, we wouldn't have gotten anywhere on time if I had been.
"C'mon guys! I just have to play this Spirit just ONE MORE TIME"
Here is us playing on Audiotree a while back. Not our best performance but hey, it looks nice. If you're a pedalgazer, you might have something to look at too...

Your guitar sounds are lovely. This is the last "going for it" band I played guitar in. We probably should have played a show with your band. Ha. https://vimeo.com/92104504

#262 3 years ago

Good stuff...I plan on releasing a video ...it's gonna be ugly but I don't care
My band is VADER (just me and my other sane brother in law) The world premier of "missiles of madness"; by VADER.

#263 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I would love to have a Marshall or something but living in an apartment I just can’t have something that big and I’d never be able to crank it so it would be pointless.

How about a 150w Triple Rectifier!

The neighbours love it!

rd

BD3A32EF-CEB2-4872-850A-44FE92EBD8EA (resized).jpegBD3A32EF-CEB2-4872-850A-44FE92EBD8EA (resized).jpeg
#264 3 years ago

The triple is such overkill I do love a tube rectifier, tho. I just built a 5F1 Champ and the sag with the rectifier us lovely.

#265 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

How about a 150w Triple Rectifier!
The neighbours love it!
rd[quoted image]

Hah I've been waiting for you to show up. And you did not disappoint. And that guitar - I can't even. How can such a thing be played? I have no idea.

#266 3 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Hah I've been waiting for you to show up. And you did not disappoint. And that guitar - I can't even. How can such a thing be played? I have no idea.

Only one way to play it.

By rocking balls! (Or ovaries)

#267 3 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

I had an 8 string for a while ... that was pretty confusing.

7 strings are no problem when you get your head around it. Just play it like a 6 string and there’s another low string to play around with.

That Schecter Jeff Loomis guitar with the active EMGs and neck through construction is the best sounding guitar I’ve owned.

Not that I play them much.

I admit that while I was restoring my CV last week, I dusted off the first few Yngwie Malmsteen albums to play in my garage, and that inspired me to pick up the guitar again and try and play Yngwie licks like I did 25 years ago. Lol

rd

#268 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I had an 8 string for a while ... that was pretty confusing.
7 strings are no problem when you get your head around it. Just play it like a 6 string and there’s another low string to play around with.
That Schecter Jeff Loomis guitar with the active EMGs and neck through construction is the best sounding guitar I’ve owned.
Not that I play them much.
I admit that while I was restoring my CV last week, I dusted off the first few Yngwie Malmsteen albums and that inspired me to pick up the guitar again and try and play Yngwie licks like I did 25 years ago. Lol
rd

Far Beyond the Sun is the best. I love early Yngwie.

#269 3 years ago

Anybody looking to sell one of these by chance? PM me if you have one and want to sell it.

EFE6770A-7AEC-4F19-8FC9-D13239224505 (resized).jpegEFE6770A-7AEC-4F19-8FC9-D13239224505 (resized).jpeg
#270 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Hey gang!

Just showed my brother in Law and we Rocked out. Well done

#271 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Just showed my broker in Law and we Rocked out. Well done

Thanks man!

May do another one in a couple weeks. Not much else to do here.

#272 3 years ago

I’ve taken a cue from CrazyLevi’s vintage SG acquisition (sounds and looks great, btw). I have an old Gibson on the way. Maybe I’m just more superstitious than he is, but I just can’t repeat his self described ‘noob’ act of posting pictures before it arrives (After all, what if the headstock broke in transport?!? Oh, the humanity!) All I’ll say at this point is Eisenhower era and P-90. It should be here in a couple of days.

#273 3 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

I’ve taken a cue from CrazyLevi’s vintage SG acquisition (sounds and looks great, btw). I have an old Gibson on the way. Maybe I’m just more superstitious than he is, but I just can’t repeat his self described ‘noob’ act of posting pictures before it arrives (After all, what if the headstock broke in transport?!? Oh, the humanity!) All I’ll say at this point is Eisenhower era and P-90. It should be here in a couple of days.

tantalizing clues! if it is a metallic color we need pics right away!

otherwise we can wait but congratulations and enjoy that hunk of old wood

#274 3 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

Sounds like a 54 Gold Top is on the way!

#275 3 years ago

So, I was just digging out my 18 year old copy of "50 Years of the Gibson Les Paul" and found a much older artifact. I have somehow managed to keep this bumper sticker for 39 years.

Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 11.08.39 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-05-05 at 11.08.39 PM (resized).png

Dio had left the group by then. ('Rising' is probably my favorite Rainbow album, but I don't think they did much of that live anyway, and in any case, I was too young to catch that tour.) Joe Lynn Turner was no slouch, though.

I saw them at the Alan B. Shepard Civic Center, commonly know as 'The Dome.' It was a Buckminster Fuller Geodesic dome, and not very large. It was named after Shepard because he and most of the Mercury astronauts lived in Virginia Beach while they trained at NASA Langley for the Mercury Program. Long before I was going to shows, The Stones and Hendrix had graced that stage. Later, I saw Alcatrazz, and a year or so later saw Rising Force there.

iu (resized).jpegiu (resized).jpeg

#276 3 years ago

You should stick that sticker on something!

Why not your car?

#277 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Good ones Levi...we drank and smoked alot of weed Pondering this question...

Did any of my suggestions come up?

You actually think there are going to be a ton...but when it comes down to it....seems like all the best bands are British.

#278 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

if it is a metallic color we need pics right away!

Not metallic. It's a burst.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Sounds like a 54 Gold Top is on the way!

It's a '59, and it's here!

but...

It's not a guitar.

#279 3 years ago

Oh man, are my neighbors going to be pissed at me while I work out Battle of Evermore. I mean, what's the point of having a dog-ear P-90 on your mandolin if you are not going to play LOUD!!!

EM-150-a (resized).pngEM-150-a (resized).png

EM-150-b (resized).pngEM-150-b (resized).png

#280 3 years ago

Hahah awesome. Time for some hobbit rock!!

What are those going for roughly

I’m currently shopping for smoke / laser machines for the best performance.

#281 3 years ago

'hobbit rock' LOL

They range from roughly $1500 to $2500 full retail. It's a damn site less than a '59 Les Paul would set you back!

#282 3 years ago

That p-90 is stock?

Never seen anything like that before.

#283 3 years ago

Yeah, it’s definitely stock. It’s an EM-150. Gibson made them from 1936-71. The early ones had the old ‘Charlie Christian’ pickup.

#284 3 years ago

very cool. by all means play it loud!!

#285 3 years ago

That thing is completely useless without a Trem on it! How you gonna dive bomb on that, without one?

#286 3 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

That thing is completely useless without a Trem on it! How you gonna dive bomb on that, without one?

I think you just bend the neck.

#287 3 years ago

I have a 59 Melody Maker with that same pup in it. Thing screams bloody murder.

#288 3 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

I have a 59 Melody Maker with that same pup in it. Thing screams bloody murder.

Last Summer I was at the Outlaw Festival and saw Lucas Nelson, both with POTR and during his old man’s set, just ripping it up on an old Melody Maker. That guitar has some punch!

#289 3 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

If anyone was going to do that it would have been Tiny Moore. He was a western swing instrumentalist who played with the Texas Playboys. His signature mandolin was a Gibson EM-150. Moore dropped the doubled pairs, and went from eight strings to four. He played it like it was a small electric guitar. In ‘62 Bigsby (yeah that Bigsby) made him a custom rig, but sadly without a tremolo.

#290 3 years ago

Going way back I was strictly Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, etc. Then EVH. If you were to go up to me and start telling me about some great country music I would just stare at you in disgust and kick you right in the nuts. But as I started to work on playing the guitar in later years, and getting more into guitar in general especially with everything that is on Youtube, I have been traveling backwards and realizing I was missing great things with a narrow-minded point of view about music. Previously I mentioned Roy Clark, who was just unbelievable. There are many others. There was shredding way before we thought shredding was invented. Here is just one example. Years ago I would have just completely laughed off the idea of anything to do with Glen Campbell. Well, that dude was also awesome. Damn he was shredding, before shredding.

I mean, I might like to give this song a try to see if I could play it. But, I don't think its gonna happen on a 12-string, ever.

#291 3 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

If you were to tell me about some great country music I would just stare at you in disgust. But as I started to work on playing the guitar and getting more into guitar in general, I have been traveling backwards and realizing I was missing great things.

I recommend giving a listen to Brad Paisley's CD "Play." It's a mostly instrumental tribute to legendary guitarists and various music styles, where Brad shows he can play it all.

#292 3 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I recommend giving a listen to Brad Paisley's CD "Play." It's a mostly instrumental tribute to legendary guitarists and various music styles, where Brad shows he can play it all.

Thanks I checked it out. I liked some of it, others were just ok. That just musical taste though, it varies for everyone. Heck there is even Van Halen and Metallica stuff I don’t particularly like. I chucked a whole pile of songs out of my ZZ Top collection because they are basically lousy crap I didn’t like listening to. And I love ZZ Top. Well that’s a topic for another whole discussion.

#293 3 years ago

I'll be surprised if any of y'all have heard of these, but I just bought my dream amp today. It's a Samamp, a boutique amp hand made here in Birmingham. This amp has two separate preamps - essentially one input Fender and one input Marshall. It's 45 watts and lound as balls, but the VAC (variable amplitude clipping) uses light bulbs to change the wattage of the clean headroom. It will do 5, 15, 30, and 45 watts, so it sounds amazing at any volume level. It has pull pots for mid boost and gain on each side.

It sounds like I brought home all-new guitars. Really hard to find these, but damn I got lucky and it's amazing. This one was specifically made for Eric Essix, a jazz player from Birmingham, and is 1 of only 2 made in this color.

I'll never have to buy another amp ever again.

So stoked.

IMG_20200511_185955 (resized).jpgIMG_20200511_185955 (resized).jpg

#294 3 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

I'll never have to buy another amp ever again.
[quoted image]

Ha! Let's talk again in a few years. Gear acquisition syndrome will strike again! Great color, lets hear it! Congrats!

#295 3 years ago

Here's a great explanation and demo of how the VAC system works:

#296 3 years ago

Neat - never heard of them. Just started building a tweed deluxe this week.

#297 3 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Here's a great explanation and demo of how the VAC system works:

I’ve fawned over these for a while. So cool that you got one.

#298 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

I’ve fawned over these for a while. So cool that you got one.

I know I'm close to where they're made, but it's amazing what you can find on your local Facebook Marketplace.

#299 3 years ago

There are a zillion so-called "spider walk exercise" videos on Youtube, but somehow I found this one and it is my favorite. All the other ones I see are basic chromatic step-up type scales that are good to practice, but not really too rigorous as you still can have fingers flying all over the place. This one requires full individual finger control and it drives the muscles in my forearm crazy. The actual exercise starts at about 2:30. This was absolutely brutal for me at first. I started out not even doing anything with my picking hand, just putting the fingers on the neck and trying to make them go across like he shows. When I first started it was absolutely pathetic, I could hardly get across the neck without botching it. But as I stuck with it and practiced a little every day after some weeks I started to get better. Now I am doing it with the picking and it is slowly starting to get comfortable. Will it improve my playing? It seems like it should but who knows. Either way I enjoy finding new things to try that go beyond my current ability levels.

#300 3 years ago

If you guys have no plans on Saturday...oh wait I know you have no plans:

This Saturday night at 9pm Eastern! Rock Fantasy presents Crazy Levi's Corona Crushing Rockfest! Be there as we rock out LIVE without a net. Visit our sponsors www.rockfantasy.com and pinballphotos.com, and get ready for the finest in live entertainment the pandemic public health crisis has to offer. See you there! Live here, on Levi's page, and on the Never Beef Productions page: https://www.facebook.com/NeverBeef/

IMG_1972 (resized).jpgIMG_1972 (resized).jpg
There are 1,595 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 32.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-guitar-players-and-guitar-stuff-needs-more-vid/page/6?hl=guinnesstime and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.