0E530017-976F-4BE5-B087-454D79432CB5 (resized).jpeg
split coil (resized).jpg
RZ guitar (resized).jpg
EVH guitar (resized).jpg
RZVH guitars (resized).jpg
livingroomguitars (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
There are 1,622 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 33.
#201 4 years ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

I was thinking it might be best to start acoustic

I tend to agree with that. Of course, it will depend on the type of music you are into. For example, if all you are into is thrash, go ahead and start with an electric. If you are more of a generalist, I think the acoustic is the way to go; however there are some trade offs. Electrics typically ship with lighter gauge strings. This means that the pain in your fingers (there will be pain) as you develop calluses will be less severe, but you also will tend to develop some sloppy technique as a result. It is much easier to transition from acoustic to electric than vice versa.

Of the guitars that you listed, I think I would go with the Epiphone Hummingbird. Epiphone has a long, storied history as a guitar maker. They used to be Gibson’s biggest competitor, until they were acquired by them. Nowadays, they primarily offer Chinese built versions of Gibson’s own models. A Gibson Hummingbird will set you back thousands. The Epi version is going to be well above the grade of the really cheap entry guitars. It’s more $ up front, but you’ll be buying yourself an upgrade step in the usual progression of guitar acquisition if you do stick with it.

#202 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

YouTube, I don’t have Facebook.

I’m gonna do Facebook as I’ve already been shilling it there. But I’ll try to download the video and put it on YouTube within a day or so.

#203 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

Fender- I haven't had great luck with Fender acoustics. I think the Strat style headstock looks awful. Also not full sized guitars.

That’s the first time I ever saw those. I think you are being generous. Those things are ugly as hell.

#204 4 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

I tend to agree with that. Of course, it will depend on the type of music you are into. For example, if all you are into is thrash, go ahead and start with an electric. If you are more of a generalist, I think the acoustic is the way to go; however there are some trade offs. Electrics typically ship with lighter gauge strings. This means that the pain in your fingers (there will be pain) as you develop calluses will be less severe, but you also will tend to develop some sloppy technique as a result. It is much easier to transition from acoustic to electric than vice versa.
Of the guitars that you listed, I think I would go with the Epiphone Hummingbird. Epiphone has a long, storied history as a guitar maker. They used to be Gibson’s biggest competitor, until they were acquired by them. Nowadays, they primarily offer Chinese built versions of Gibson’s own models. A Gibson Hummingbird will set you back thousands. The Epi version is going to be well above the grade of the really cheap entry guitars. It’s more $ up front, but you’ll be buying yourself an upgrade step in the usual progression of guitar acquisition if you do stick with it.

Is the size of this guitar the same as a standard full size acoustic?

It looks different in the photos.

I just want something standard, as I don't want to develop any bad habits right out of the gates.

#205 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I’m gonna do Facebook as I’ve already been shilling it there. But I’ll try to download the video and put it on YouTube within a day or so.

Sounds good. You post it and I’m definitely watching, thanks.

#206 4 years ago

Is the size of this guitar the same as a standard full size acoustic?

The Hummingbird is a dreadnought, which is the most common size. I personally like the extremes, the jumbos and the parlors, but you can’t go wrong with a dreadnought as your first.

#207 4 years ago

It’s probably bad luck to post pictures of this thing before it actually shows up...

I love being a newb!!!

6ED0772E-81A8-4196-B4DF-57FE65025838 (resized).jpeg6ED0772E-81A8-4196-B4DF-57FE65025838 (resized).jpegBBA3EF72-6089-4E8A-9412-0E3D80ECE65E (resized).jpegBBA3EF72-6089-4E8A-9412-0E3D80ECE65E (resized).jpegF34EED0C-282A-449C-AA47-B34814834503 (resized).jpegF34EED0C-282A-449C-AA47-B34814834503 (resized).jpeg
#208 4 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

The Hummingbird is a dreadnought, which is the most common size. I personally like the extremes, the jumbos and the parlors, but you can’t go wrong with a dreadnought as your first.

I went with the Epiphone DR-100 as a starter. Based on reviews, it has to be better than this Amazon junker that I'm about to return.

I said that once I get to the point where I know a few chords and can read a bit of tab, I'm going to buy that Hummingbird.

From there, I see this hobby going similar to pinball where it gets a bit out of control!

#209 4 years ago

I've got the Yamaha, and I really like it. Easy to play, nice sound, well built. I see you've already made your decision though, so I guess Im a bit late.
Let us know what you think once your new one arrives!

#210 4 years ago
Quoted from RocketFromTombs:

I've got the Yamaha, and I really like it. Easy to play, nice sound, well built. I see you've already made your decision though, so I guess Im a bit late.
Let us know what you think once your new one arrives!

What model Yamaha?

Also thinking to Buy one for my 76 year old mother. She's pretty tiny, so though a smaller guitar might be better for her.

Any suggestions on something smaller then a dreadnaught?

#211 4 years ago

As far as an acoustic amp, might check out the Positive Grid Spark. It handles electric guitar, acoustic guitar, and bass. Reviews are good, but takes a while to get one. You can connect to an iPad or mobile device and play through different simulated amps and effects. Less than $300. Won best amp at NAMM.

I’ve been waiting for mine since December. They sold 20,000 on preorder. Several videos online can be found, including it being the practice amp for Queensryche.

#212 4 years ago

Any suggestions on something smaller then a dreadnaught?

The Epiphone EL-00 Pro is their version of the small bodied Gibson I posted here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-guitar-players-and-guitar-stuff-needs-more-vid/page/4#post-5603555

#213 4 years ago

For most acoustic applications, the Fishman Loudbox Mini is terrific.
And cheap for just how good it is.

#214 4 years ago

What’s that Ty? Pinball wasn't enough of an expensive or inhumanly complicated hobby for you?

Enter Pedal Steel Guitar... Just picked this up yesterday.

E2C1EA85-0E3B-4432-8BD5-B425605DD9C6 (resized).jpegE2C1EA85-0E3B-4432-8BD5-B425605DD9C6 (resized).jpeg
#215 3 years ago
Quoted from Backyardace:

As far as an acoustic amp, might check out the Positive Grid Spark. It handles electric guitar, acoustic guitar, and bass. Reviews are good, but takes a while to get one. You can connect to an iPad or mobile device and play through different simulated amps and effects. Less than $300. Won best amp at NAMM.
I’ve been waiting for mine since December. They sold 20,000 on preorder. Several videos online can be found, including it being the practice amp for Queensryche.

Damn you! I bought one and I don't even own a guitar that can connect to an amp haha!

#216 3 years ago

Damn you! I bought one and I don't even own a guitar that can connect to an amp haha!

I promise, I don’t get commission.
Still waiting, they told me by the end of the month to get mine. All the videos make it look super cool. I have all three types of instruments to connect to it, but I mainly play bass.

#217 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

What’s that Ty? Pinball wasn't enough of an expensive or inhumanly complicated hobby for you?
Enter Pedal Steel Guitar... Just picked this up yesterday.[quoted image]

whoa!! I thought you would be going for the Robert Randolph straight steel approach steel but I see you have 5 pedals !! have fun!!

#218 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

whoa!! I thought you would be going for the Robert Randolph straight steel approach steel but I see you have 5 pedals !! have fun!!

Hilariously pedal 1 and 5 aren't connected to anything. Supposedly the two additional ones were supposed to come out of the factory raising strings 6&7 individually.... but this one is close to the traditional Emmons setup.

#219 3 years ago

My brother in law a drummer and i were thinking about the greatest american rock band ever...we had trouble getting past the Allamn brothers. that was our vote. are we missing something? i told him i would check in here

#220 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

My brother in law a drummer and i were thinking about the greatest american rock band ever...we had trouble getting past the Allamn brothers. that was our vote. are we missing something? i told him i would check in here

The Ramones

Some might suggest Skynrd, Aerosmith...the Cars?

#221 3 years ago

Good ones Levi...we drank and smoked alot of weed Pondering this question...

#222 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

My brother in law a drummer and i were thinking about the greatest american rock band ever..

That's easy.

The Guess Who

(Friend in Calgary and I have a running joke about this sorta stuff. He maintains that Aretha Franklin was orignally known as the Siren of Saskatoon.)

#223 3 years ago

The guess Who edged Rush and Neil young for Canada
We Haven’t discussed Britain yet that will be the toughest

#224 3 years ago

Grand Funk Railroad.

#225 3 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Grand Funk Railroad.

The wild, shirtless vocals of Mark Farner?! The competent drum work of Don bruer?

#226 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The wild, shirtless vocals of Mark Farner?! The competent drum work of Don bruer?

Yes to all of the above. I love that old timey distorted fuzzed-out guitar playing by Farner also. And the bass playing too, with songs where you can actually hear the bass guitar.

When you listen to that early stuff live, that is crazy they are pumping that out with just 3 guys. Well, before they added an organ player that is. If you are old enough to remember it when it went down, adding an organ to the band was considered the shit move of the day. Kind of like a jumping the shark moment. Like so many bands, the very first recordings and the earliest stuff is the best, the rest....not so good. Well that's true with just about all of them...Kiss, ZZ Top, Van Halen, Metallica......

What band{s) maintained a solid and consistent high level over a lengthy time with lots of albums?

#227 3 years ago

Man I love this thing!

Took a little getting used to. Much lower action than the Les Paul, a lot
Less sustain but it’s great for playing nasty sludgy rock. And of course it weighs nothing so it’s fun to throw around and duck walk with.

42CCBDC1-C868-40A0-858D-12F97BC65B3D (resized).jpeg42CCBDC1-C868-40A0-858D-12F97BC65B3D (resized).jpeg782FF906-4F40-4EF9-BACD-55C8AAAF32D1 (resized).jpeg782FF906-4F40-4EF9-BACD-55C8AAAF32D1 (resized).jpeg
#228 3 years ago

It got there safely! Congrats on the new axe. Always scary shipping those SGs.

Between the headstock angle and the small neck joints....and cases that seem designed to stress both!, I always sweat those when they are in transit

#229 3 years ago

Not a guitar, but my wife's dad gave me this today. I don't know much about mandolins, but it's in really nice condition. After a few hours of internet searching, I've determined it was made in East Germany between 1945 and 1949. (Stamped "Germany, USSR Occupied" inside.) Should be fun to goof around with for a while.

60943485591__A6B972E3-D2C3-443A-A841-B8C726640B85 (resized).jpg60943485591__A6B972E3-D2C3-443A-A841-B8C726640B85 (resized).jpg
#230 3 years ago

Tonight, Saturday April 25, at 9pm, strap in for THE rock event of the weekend! See you here for Crazy Levi’s Three Blocks From Times Square Rockin’ Eve! 20 minutes of non stop Rock (if not roll) delivered straight to your delicate innards! Clean your body and soul, with rock, not Lysol, Tonight!

Can be seen at Never Beef Production’s Facebook page. I’ll also upload it later to YouTube most likely, if my adoring public demands it!

Never Beef Page:
https://m.facebook.com/NeverBeef/?tsid=0.5165905857072737&source=result

#231 3 years ago

One of my favorite Rock Blues recordings featuring the mandolin.
Rory Gallagher : Leaving Town Blues

#232 3 years ago

Once, Hendrix was asked how it felt to be the world's greatest guitarist, he replied "I don't know. Go ask Rory Gallagher."

#233 3 years ago

Hey gang!

Got 30 minutes to kill? You can see my stream here:

#234 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Hey gang!

Sweet playing. What kind of amp are you running?
Love that O’s cap too.
Thanks for doing this.

#235 3 years ago

Hey, that was fun!

#236 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

The guess Who edged Rush and Neil young for Canada
We Haven’t discussed Britain yet that will be the toughest

No way in hell that the Guess Who beats out Neil Young.. No Way.

#237 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The Ramones
Some might suggest Skynrd, Aerosmith...the Cars?

CCR, Pearl Jam, Bob Seger..

#238 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Hey gang!

That was awesome. After being quarantined for so long, and turning on my tv and constantly seeing Billie Eilish and Lizzo and the like, I was seriously considering just giving up on life. It was just too depressing to bear. You have brought back my faith in humanity. I feel rejuvenated and happy again after your show. What happened to rock and roll? What happened to it? Please bring it back!

#239 3 years ago
Quoted from Powdevil:

No way in hell that the Guess Who beats out Neil Young.. No Way.

Neil Young over The band ? ..curious your thoughts on this And where Brian Adams would fit.

#240 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Neil Young over The band ? ..curious your thoughts on this And where Brian Adams would fit.

Neil Young is pushing Dylan as the greatest songwriter of all time, and he definitely is the most prolific. He is also a great guitarist (something Dylan isn’t), who handles either acoustic or electric with equal aplomb. Some criticize his squeaky singing voice but it has soul. I think I’d put Neil Young over Guess Who, BTO and Brian Adams combined. With over 50 albums out, check out his field of work and versatility covering folk, rock and roll and country.. with forays into all sorts of other genres.

#241 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Hey gang!

ROCK & ROLL !

#242 3 years ago

Cinnamon girl is our wedding song ..and in these times I “feel like The Loner” ..but it’s hard to knock the Guess Who out of the top 3 and decide where the Band fits in VS Rush. Interchangeable top 3 regardless but 1 of the 4 would get knocked out.

#243 3 years ago
Quoted from Powdevil:

Neil Young is pushing Dylan as the greatest songwriter of all time, and he definitely is the most prolific. He is also a great guitarist (something Dylan isn’t), who handles either acoustic or electric with equal aplomb. Some criticize his squeaky singing voice but it has soul. I think I’d put Neil Young over Guess Who, BTO and Brian Adams combined. With over 50 albums out, check out his field of work and versatility covering folk, rock and roll and country.. with forays into all sorts of other genres.

Don’t forget Gordon Lightfoot , an excellent example would be Canadian railroad trilogy , simple songs like did she mention my name or the haunting wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald.

#244 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Don’t forget Gordon LightfootCanadian Road trilogy is an excellent example or the simple did she mention my name or the haunting wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald.

#245 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Don’t forget Gordon Lightfoot , an excellent example would be Canadian railroad trilogy , simple songs like did she mention my name or the haunting wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald.

I like Lightfoot, and he was very good lyricist and singer. I’d put him over Guess Who and maybe Brian Adams. I’ve never thought of it that way, but Cinnamon Girl would be a great wedding song! By the way, that guitar riff that NY does at the end of Cinnamon Girl is a cool thing to learn for a aspiring guitarist.

#246 3 years ago

Here's the man.

#247 3 years ago
Quoted from Seamlesswall:

Here's the man.

Good cover.. don’t usually see Cinnamon Girl done on acoustic, but it works.

#248 3 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Sweet playing. What kind of amp are you running?
Love that O’s cap too.
Thanks for doing this.</block-quote>

I have a Roland “Cube,” it’s a decent $200 solid state amp with a number of cool effects on it. I would love to have a Marshall or something but living in an apartment I just can’t have something that big and I’d never be able to crank it so it would be pointless.

A lot of people thought I was terrorizing neighbors. Will that may be true, my next door and downstairs neighbors both seem to be riding out the pandemic elsewhere based upon the accumulating mail, and I haven’t had any complaints from whoever lives above me. And I was done by 9:30 on a Saturday night which isn’t unreasonable. Plus I’ve been here 22 years so I kinda feel like I own the place, being surrounded by kids!

Thanks for watching!

#249 3 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

That was awesome. After being quarantined for so long, and turning on my tv and constantly seeing Billie Eilish and Lizzo and the like, I was seriously considering just giving up on life. It was just too depressing to bear. You have brought back my faith in humanity. I feel rejuvenated and happy again after your show. What happened to rock and roll? What happened to it? Please bring it back!

That’s the idea. Pandemic music doesn’t have to be a stationary camera and a piano!

#250 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Sundown!

There are 1,622 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 33.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-guitar-players-and-guitar-stuff-needs-more-vid/page/5?hl=pinballjj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.