(Topic ID: 264920)

Pinside guitar players and guitar stuff (needs more Vid)

By xsvtoys

3 months ago

Topic Stats

• 370 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 hours ago by Shredso
  • Topic is favorited by 20 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“Do we need another guitar thread??”

• Yes, I love guitars, let's go. 37 votes
    76%
  • No, go away and find a guitar forum to hang out at. 7 votes
    14%
  • Tacos. 5 votes
    10%

(49 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 179 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

64FF5C07-6A3C-4F8E-A306-1268947F0B6C (resized).jpeg
0696CF1C-BCDC-4DA2-AD32-FEBBAA29FB9B (resized).jpeg
555A72AA-531A-47BA-9C76-19359EDB6B15 (resized).jpeg
20200707_133045 (resized).jpg
Double Vision (resized).png
SG Bass 2 (resized).png
SG Bass 1 (resized).png
download (resized).jpeg
F708AEDC-B769-499E-AD57-87726C0ECB33 (resized).jpeg
cbf4ee1c291e13c80ccc89b9b9b8bd7d_1080x (resized).jpg
Dream Guitar(1) (resized).jpg
body8-fronta (resized).JPG
body7-frontb (resized).JPG
IMG_2917 (resized).jpg
IMG_2950 (resized).jpg
IMG_2984 (resized).JPG

There are 370 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 8.
#151 86 days ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Is that a real 1959 Les Paul?

He must mean the Jr.!

#152 86 days ago

The Doublecut looks like it is.

#153 86 days ago

If you've got some time and want to see some ridonkulous guitars and amps, check out the Joe Bonamassa collection video. I love that guy.

It's about 25 minutes long.

#154 86 days ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Is that a real 1959 Les Paul?

Ha ha was purposely vague to see who is paying attention . YES IT IS A REAL 1959 LES PAUL...…. junior....

(the other Gibson is a 2014 R8)

#155 86 days ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

Ha ha was purposely vague to see who is paying attention . YES IT IS A REAL 1959 LES PAUL...…. junior....

Still a cool guitar. Just not worth as much as a house.

#156 86 days ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

Awesome that you have that!

#157 85 days ago

I've still yet to find a guitar I like playing more than my Harmony Bobkat. Bought it for $200 just over 8 years ago now and have never played a guitar that's better suited for me ever. Neck is as thick as a bat, pickups are louder and snappier than anything I've ever heard, plays like absolute shit, but for some reason it's the only guitar I've ever picked up and had it really speak to me.
Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 1.43.35 PM (resized).png
Unfortunately I got hit by a drunk driver a few years back and I can't play much anymore. Fixing that by picking up a pedal steel this weekend... Any steel players hear?

#158 85 days ago
Quoted from radial_head:

It's the only guitar I've ever picked up and had it really speak to me.

Wow! An actual talking guitar! Even Peter Frampton's guitar on Frampton Comes Alive didn't really speak by itself.

#159 85 days ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Wow! An actual talking guitar! Even Peter Frampton's guitar on Frampton Comes Alive didn't really speak by itself.

Most of the time it's just saying "DUDE YOU SUCK AT THIS"

#160 85 days ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Most of the time it's just saying "DUDE YOU SUCK AT THIS"

Mine say the same thing to me!

#161 85 days ago

1967 Ampeg J12 d

Has original tubes and speaker. Still cranks!

IMG_0992 (resized).JPG
#162 85 days ago

Everyone is sharing their guitar collections, which is very nice and cool;
I appreciate the talent it takes to play the guitar, (a talent I do not possess in the least.)
But the topic title says needs more vid;
so who is going to be brave and bold enough to post some youtube video
of you jamming and shredding and rocking out.
I think only one pinsider has shared video of themselves playing so far.

#163 85 days ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

I appreciate the talent it takes to play the guitar, (a talent I do not possess in the least.)
I think only one pinsider has shared video of them playing so far.

Here I am a few weeks ago getting reacquainted with the guitar I hadn’t touched in a couple years. Rusty. Painful blisters. But I’m back baby!

#164 85 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Here I am a few weeks ago getting reacquainted with the guitar I hadn’t touched in a couple years. Rusty. Painful blisters. But I’m back baby!

And that is why we have our guitars.

#165 85 days ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

I have a few videos on Youtube, a random amp demo where my cat jumped out of a pinball machine (not planned), random 90's guitar solo, a quick demo version of a guitar version of Comet, and a Joe Satriani contest I entered. I should add some more content, I have lots of ideas, just no time. And every time I come up with a cool idea I search Youtube and there are 50 people already doing it.

#166 85 days ago

That Satriani! Great job.

#167 85 days ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Hoooo boy... has it been that long ?

#168 85 days ago
Quoted from Shredso:

I have a few videos on Youtube, a random amp demo where my cat jumped out of a pinball machine (not planned), random 90's guitar solo, a quick demo version of a guitar version of Comet, and a Joe Satriani contest I entered. I should add some more content, I have lots of ideas, just no time. And every time I come up with a cool idea I search Youtube and there are 50 people already doing it.

Oh. It’s on!!

#169 85 days ago
Quoted from Shredso:

Tremoverb?

#170 85 days ago
2E2AC533-B912-4439-A921-39861FB9DA78 (resized).jpeg
#171 85 days ago

Damn Snares, this is a few years old. I have lots of music on youtube but this is the only solo player. Love the Rickenbacker, can't play anything else now. Love my SG same thing.

#172 85 days ago

Yeah, I haven't touched it in years. Great amp.

#173 85 days ago
Quoted from Shredso:

Yeah, I haven't touched it in years. Great amp.

Great amp. I sold mine at the onset of my jazz coma and have regretted it. I recently got a Rectoverb 25 and it's the perfect fix when I want that sound. It's not often, but when I want that sound, nothing else compares.

#174 85 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

impressive!! playing like that those tongue blisters will take a long time to heal!

#175 85 days ago

Before I had to get a full time job (long story, involves that drunk driver) I used to tour full time playing "lead guitar" with Lina Tullgren. This was before I was as deep into my pinball journey as I am now. Sometimes I think of cities I used to play in that now have collections that I'm in love with and just had no idea they were there. But then again, we wouldn't have gotten anywhere on time if I had been.

"C'mon guys! I just have to play this Spirit just ONE MORE TIME"

Here is us playing on Audiotree a while back. Not our best performance but hey, it looks nice. If you're a pedalgazer, you might have something to look at too...

#176 84 days ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Before I had to get a full time job (long story, involves that drunk driver) I used to tour full time playing "lead guitar" with Lina Tullgren. This was before I was as deep into my pinball journey as I am now. Sometimes I think of cities I used to play in that now have collections that I'm in love with and just had no idea they were there. But then again, we wouldn't have gotten anywhere on time if I had been.
Here is us playing on Audiotree a while back. Not our best performance but hey, it looks nice. If you're a pedalgazer, you might have something to look at too...

that was cool! not familiar with lina, looks like you both had about the same guitar from you picture above?

watched the whole thing waiting for when you would stomp on all 20 pedals and launch into a " melt your face off" solo but I guess that was not the role in that setting. thanks for sharing

#177 84 days ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Thank you for posting ..my wife and .I really enjoyed the video and song

#178 84 days ago
Quoted from dracula40:

[picture of three Telecasters leaning against a bench]

So you consider the Telecaster to be a benchmark guitar then?

#179 84 days ago

Yes , they are my go to guitar for sure.

#180 83 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

There’s a bunch here: https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=aerostar
Looks also like the neck has a truss rod - you could probably get that adjusted

Good lead, I found this one that I bought for the neck. Im going to paint the headstock and the original body so they are a matching red, and I found a company that will make a gold foil water slide decal for me.

I sanded the body with 600 grit to get it ready for primer.

After restoring pins, guitars are a nice EASY break.

https://reverb.com/item/33249244-1980s-kramer-zx30h-body-neck
42CDDBD6-5D74-416D-BB62-9636BA48607A (resized).jpegB685F95C-9B42-4837-B98A-25BDC247EB86 (resized).jpeg

Edit: The original neck is twisted like someone left it in a sauna and the bottom twists out and up which is why I think the guy sold it to my dad for $50 back in the late 90s. Before getting into pinball, music was my passion so outside of playing shows, recording albums, and partying way too hard as a D-list musician, guitar tech was my thing. This stupid neck always bummed me out.

It took pinball restoration to make it click in my mind “hey I can probably just restore that old piece of crap!”

#181 81 days ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

Fender Play is offering 3 months free access during the pandemic:
https://www.fender.com/play

I tried signing up for the 3 months free on Fender, but seems the code wasn't working. Anyone else have luck with this?

#182 81 days ago

Loving all the guitar pics you guys are sharing. I'm one month into learning, and when I see all your gear, it's intimidating. Feels like I'm never going to learn to play this thing like you guys do! Trying to stick to it though!

I bought a shitty guitar from Amazon, but I think it's time to buy something half decent to really learn on. Can anyone suggest a good beginner guitar in the $200-300 range.

Can't wait to actually learn how to read tab so I can put a couple of tunes together for my fam!

#183 81 days ago

This one could not be more different from the jumbos I posted previously. This is a small L00, parlor-sized body. Rather than the beautiful blonde maple, it's a dark bubinga (an exotic from central Africa, similar to rosewood in sonic characteristics). Unlike the warm, bright voice of the jumbos, this one has a dry, throaty growl. It's perfect for minor blues progressions. This one usually sets in a stand right next to my desk, ready at a moment's notice.

Blues_King (resized).png
#184 81 days ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

Loving all the guitar pics you guys are sharing. I'm one month into learning, and when I see all your gear, it's intimidating. Feels like I'm never going to learn to play this thing like you guys do! Trying to stick to it though!
I bought a shitty guitar from Amazon, but I think it's time to buy something half decent to really learn on. Can anyone suggest a good beginner guitar in the $200-300 range.
Can't wait to actually learn how to read tab so I can put a couple of tunes together for my fam!

I will assume you want an electric, can't go wrong with a used mim fender strat or for less a squier. As long as it has decent action and stays in tune the guitar is not the limiting factor.have fun learning! !

#185 81 days ago

Just had this conversation with a friend: ALWAYS buy used. Reverb.com is a great place to start. The guitars made today for $200 are total garbage. They use very poor wood, but what you’ll notice first is the bad hardware, poor quality control, the necks aren’t straight, the intonation is off, etc. it’s frustrating and even if you don’t know why, it will make you feel like you suck. So spend $200 on a Brian Moore guitar on EBay. Amazing quality, just doesn’t have the name brand thing going on. They went out of businesss a while back so awesome guitars can be had for a song.

#186 81 days ago

Just bought this 1970 SG today, totally psyched, should have it in a few days.

Also I’m doing a livestream on Saturday showcasing me rocking out for 15-20 minutes. I know you all are starved for entertainment.

Not sure if I’ll do Facebook live or YouTube...what’s easier? People have to be my Facebook friends to view a live stream?

Help! I’m old!

7DC5CAC4-3AF0-4AEA-A21B-B0E1C1A465B0 (resized).jpegC6A70EEB-E21D-4EE3-9E0C-480F08BE8844 (resized).jpegEDE0612A-87CB-4084-A461-1E0185830F88 (resized).jpeg
#187 81 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Just bought this 1970 SG today

Nice score! I like the factory trapeze tailpiece on the Gibsons of that era. I finally got around to installing a Bigsby on my SG this past winter.

#188 81 days ago

BTW, what year is that Custom Shop LP of yours?

#189 81 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Just bought this 1970 SG today, totally psyched, should have it in a few days.
Also I’m doing a livestream on Saturday showcasing me rocking out for 15-20 minutes. I know you all are starved for entertainment.
Not sure if I’ll do Facebook live or YouTube...what’s easier? People have to be my Facebook friends to view a live stream?
Help! I’m old![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

YouTube, I don’t have Facebook.

#190 81 days ago

Quick shot from the last time I cleaned and put new strings on my 61.

61SGLPc (resized).JPG
#191 81 days ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

BTW, what year is that Custom Shop LP of yours?

That's a 2007 I think.

I had a gorgeous - I mean mint - 1979 silverburst custom that I bought in high school for around $550 in 1993.

Sold it for $1200 in 1999 to pay the rent. Thought I was a genius! What are they going for now, like $8,000?

When I had some more money later on I decided to get the Custom Shop one...was maybe a year old when I bought it? DOn't really remember. I think it was around $2,500 on ebay. Honestly the CS one plays better than my old '79 but I never had that '79 properly set up either I don't think.

#192 81 days ago

Gibson was really putting out some of their best work in the early-mid 2000s.

Yeah, a proper set up makes a lot of difference. I think most Gibsons leave the factory with the nut height a little high, so you have room to dial it in to preference.

#193 81 days ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

Gibson was really putting out some of their best work in the early-mid 2000s.
Yeah, a proper set up makes a lot of difference. I think most Gibsons leave the factory with the nut height a little high, so you have room to dial it in to preference.

Just checked the headstock - yes it’s a 2007.

February?

A2E16F35-C820-4789-854E-221174644B6C (resized).jpeg
#194 81 days ago

Anybody watching Covid Aid?

Some entertaining moments.

The Stones killed it playing zoom style. Only complete band to show up, unless you count the creepy three Keith Urbans.

How about elton’s multi cam, tracking rig?! Very impressive.

#195 81 days ago

I was just watching Ricky Skaggs on the Grand Ole Opry stream. For the last five weeks they have been streaming Saturday night performances on YouTube. It's just the performers (socially distanced on stage) in front of the empty auditorium. There have been some pretty good shows so far.

#196 81 days ago

Don't confuse lots of cool stuff with actual playing ability. I have piles of cool stuff all over the place and I can't play worth a crap. Plus those damn guitars are like pinball machines, you just can't seem to get enough of them. A while back I looked around at all the guitars and gave a few a away and sold a few. I decided to cut back and focus on actually learning how to play. It's a heck of a lot harder learning how to play well than the simple trick of buying stuff. At least for me.

There's nothing wrong with getting just one and sticking with it. If your goal is to play, well you can only play one at a time after all. You can become good with just one guitar.

And I can't see anything wrong with getting a used one, even a cheaper one. I can guarantee you that no matter how cheap and crappy your guitar is, if EVH walked in and you handed it to him, he would play it and, well, he would sound just like f-ing EVH.

You can always level up later if you get to playing good, then you will better educated about what you might like for something a bit nicer.

#197 81 days ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

And I can't see anything wrong with getting a used one, even a cheaper one. at you might like for something a bit nicer.

Not looking to blow a lot of money on my starter guitar. Just want something that plays well until I get to a level where I can justify dropping some money on a nice guitar.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Just had this conversation with a friend: ALWAYS buy used.

With all this COVID-19 stuff, I definitely won't be going out to any shops or doing Kijiji deals. Also, I'm in Canada, so buying from eBay is either too expensive with shipping, or takes too long.

Quoted from pinballjj:

I will assume you want an electric, can't go wrong with a used mim fender strat or for less a squier. As long as it has decent action and stays in tune the guitar is not the limiting factor.have fun learning! !

As I said above, used isn't really an option right now. I was looking at a few of these. I was thinking it might be best to start acoustic, but what the hell do I know?!?!

Would love to get comments on the following:

https://www.long-mcquade.com/69623/Guitars/Acoustic_Guitars/Yamaha/FG800M_Solid_Spruce_Top_Acoustic_Guitar_w_Matte_Finish.htm
https://www.long-mcquade.com/1120/Guitars/Acoustic_Guitars/Epiphone/DR-100_Acoustic_-_Natural.htm
https://www.long-mcquade.com/4656/Guitars/Acoustic-Guitars/Godin-Guitars/Songsmith.htm
https://www.long-mcquade.com/7075/Guitars/Acoustic-Guitars/Taylor-Guitars/BT1-Baby-Taylor-Sitka-Sapele-Acoustic-Guitar.htm
https://www.long-mcquade.com/102325/Guitars/Acoustic-Guitars/Fender-Musical-Instruments/Newporter-Player---Rustic-Copper.htm

And then these seem to be acoustic and electric:

https://www.long-mcquade.com/102307/Guitars/Acoustic-Guitars/Fender-Musical-Instruments/Malibu-Player---Aqua-Splash.htm
https://www.long-mcquade.com/18703/Guitars/Acoustic-Guitars/Epiphone/Hummingbird-Pro-Acoustic-Electric.htm

Not sure if that would be good for a beginner, but they look cool!

Any suggestions/thoughts would be appreciated!

#198 81 days ago

Not looking to blow a lot of money on my starter guitar. Just want something that plays well until I get to a level where I can justify dropping some money on a nice guitar.

With all this COVID-19 stuff, I definitely won't be going out to any shops or doing Kijiji deals. Also, I'm in Canada, so buying from eBay is either too expensive with shipping, or takes too long.

As I said above, used isn't really an option right now. I was looking at a few of these. I was thinking it might be best to start acoustic, but what the hell do I know?!?!
https://www.long-mcquade.com/69623/Guitars/Acoustic_Guitars/Yamaha/FG800M_Solid_Spruce_Top_Acoustic_Guitar_w_Matte_Finish.htm
https://www.long-mcquade.com/1120/Guitars/Acoustic_Guitars/Epiphone/DR-100_Acoustic_-_Natural.htm
https://www.long-mcquade.com/4656/Guitars/Acoustic-Guitars/Godin-Guitars/Songsmith.htm
https://www.long-mcquade.com/7075/Guitars/Acoustic-Guitars/Taylor-Guitars/BT1-Baby-Taylor-Sitka-Sapele-Acoustic-Guitar.htm
https://www.long-mcquade.com/102325/Guitars/Acoustic-Guitars/Fender-Musical-Instruments/Newporter-Player---Rustic-Copper.htm
https://www.long-mcquade.com/102307/Guitars/Acoustic-Guitars/Fender-Musical-Instruments/Malibu-Player---Aqua-Splash.htm
https://www.long-mcquade.com/18703/Guitars/Acoustic-Guitars/Epiphone/Hummingbird-Pro-Acoustic-Electric.htm

I'll give my 2 cents, even though I haven't played most of these.

Yamaha- this one would probably be my choice. Affordable, solid top. My first guitar 30 something years ago was a Yamaha.

Epiphone DR-100- This is probably a decent guitar. My kid has an Epiphone and the build quality is fine. Biggest difference between this and the Yamaha is probably the solid top.

Simon and Patrick- I've never heard of this brand. Canadian? Well reviewed, looks nice. Can't say much else.

Taylor- I love this thing. I've come close to buying one a bunch of times. This is not a full sized guitar. You won't get the resonance and volume, but it's a great guitar. I don't think I would want this for my only guitar.

Fender- I haven't had great luck with Fender acoustics. I think the Strat style headstock looks awful. Also not full sized guitars.

Epiphone Hummingbird- This looks like a great guitar. If you think you would use the electronics and can spring the extra money it may be worth it.

Out of curiosity, what guitar did you buy from Amazon? It may just need some adjustment, new strings, etc. The low end stuff is so much better than it was 25-30 years ago. My brother bought a Monoprice guitar and it was decent. I think it was $100. Totally acceptable for a beginner.

#199 81 days ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

I was just watching Ricky Skaggs on the Grand Ole Opry stream. For the last five weeks they have been streaming Saturday night performances on YouTube. It's just the performers (socially distanced on stage) in front of the empty auditorium. There have been some pretty good shows so far.

Cool I will check that out

We are all going to have to figure out how to rock

#200 81 days ago

It’s a bit overwhelming.

I’d strongly suggest checking out, or at least researching, a Taylor GS Mini-e.
My daughter uses hers for recording and live gigs. She’s got a couple of killer acoustics, including a Gibson Hummingbird, but when it matters (recording/live) she takes the GS Mini.
I play a Yamaha apx500 which I really like the feel of, but I defer to my daughter when it comes to anything guitar.
Good luck!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Boards
nvram.weebly.com
$ 180.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 12,500.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 445.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 221.00
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
COINTAKER.COM
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 189.00
Displays
Boston Pinball Company
$ 26.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
£ 45.00
Lighting - Other
PinballToys
$ 159.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Little Shop Of Games
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 109.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Pro
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 229.99
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 370 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 8.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside