IMG_0797 (resized).jpg
IMG_2182 (resized).jpeg
20240323_120944 (resized).jpg
20240406_140946 (resized).jpg
20240328_163115 (resized).jpg
23091530446-angle-xlarge (resized).jpg
23091530446-front-xlarge (resized).jpg
A6325A15-5129-48FC-B44D-812AEB5D056D (resized).jpeg
There are 1,633 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 33.
#1301 1 year ago
Quoted from gorditas:

I think the goal with modelers should always be to find your base tone, and stick with it. That is what you do with a real amp, isn't it? With my Kemper, my method has been assigning a profile to each guitar, and I add the effects as needed. There are some guitar/profile combinations that just have a magic. Where people get into trouble, and it is easy to do when you have nearly unlimited options, is to find oneself in endless choice purgatory. If you haven't found your base tone after 2 years with the Helix, maybe it is time to try something else. The good news is that you can probably sell your Helix for a high percentage of the cost you paid. I am sure that there is more than one band you like that is using some modeler live: find out what they are using, and how they are making it work. Even people with amps on stage are often only using them for stage volume: FOH is from a modeler.

That's what I do - everything to FOH is from the Helix. I do occasionally use amps on stage, but the more we move to in-ear monitors and an A/V component to our shows, I have just ditched the amps. load in is WAY easier!

Totally agree on sticking to a tone - that's pretty much what I'm doing, but I am used to being able to just dial down my volume and change technique to get real big changes in my sound. With an amp, this works great. With the tones I'm using on the Helix, not so much. I've gotten some AMAZING tones out of amp plugins when we record, so I know it's possible - but I can't take those out to shows... yet!

#1302 1 year ago

Moderne arrived today. Looks like this one was purchased in 2012 and sat in case for a decade. A lot more playable than I thought. Sounds pretty good, another oddity for the quiver.

1F97BD8D-6AB8-4B6D-AF62-1B854012DD0B (resized).jpeg1F97BD8D-6AB8-4B6D-AF62-1B854012DD0B (resized).jpeg2504D544-E838-49CB-91C1-D9EC6C90D3F8 (resized).jpeg2504D544-E838-49CB-91C1-D9EC6C90D3F8 (resized).jpeg5B271656-860F-40C0-BD71-8B9B429E6176 (resized).jpeg5B271656-860F-40C0-BD71-8B9B429E6176 (resized).jpegC9A3E18F-3811-4885-943E-E01CDA37F2E1 (resized).jpegC9A3E18F-3811-4885-943E-E01CDA37F2E1 (resized).jpeg
#1303 1 year ago

All Right, the time has come to start cleaning house. I have several nice Brian Moore guitars with piezo bridges that I need to start getting rid of. I’m not going to bother selling them, so I’m looking for ideas of where to donate them. I dont have time to mess with Facebook market or craigslist - those immediately ate up more time than the item was worth the last time I tried. So! Give me some ideas what to do with these things

#1304 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

All Right, the time has come to start cleaning house. I have several nice Brian Moore guitars with piezo bridges that I need to start getting rid of. I’m not going to bother selling them, so I’m looking for ideas of where to donate them. I dont have time to mess with Facebook market or craigslist - those immediately ate up more time than the item was worth the last time I tried. So! Give me some ideas what to do with these things

I don’t have any ideas for you but I was unaware of Brian moore guitars, and wow they use some nice maple!

#1305 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Maybe check your local school district, see if there is a band program that could use them?

#1306 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I believe beelzeboob is a public school music teacher, maybe hit him up for some ideas?

#1307 1 year ago
Quoted from orangegsx:

I don’t have any ideas for you but I was unaware of Brian moore guitars, and wow they use some nice maple!

Yeah they are amazing, amazing guitars - and really inexpensive! I used to use a COSM modeling rig called the VG-8 and VG-99, and these plugged right in so I could do MIDI, regular guitar tones, or acoustic sounds. The high end ones still run in the thousands but their mid-priced line are very reasonable.

#1308 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Contact the Neal Casal Music Foundation:

https://nealcasalmusicfoundation.org/

#1309 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Yeah they are amazing, amazing guitars - and really inexpensive! I used to use a COSM modeling rig called the VG-8 and VG-99, and these plugged right in so I could do MIDI, regular guitar tones, or acoustic sounds. The high end ones still run in the thousands but their mid-priced line are very reasonable.

Quick google search and they look incredibly nice.
A shame to give them away but at the same time they could make someone else very happy. I envy whoever will be recieving such a stunning guitar from you.

#1311 1 year ago

Elwood's bass.

That neck is under pressure

Screenshot 2022-11-17 at 09-18-50 d1xbghy70i0a1.jpg (JPEG Image 720 × 960 pixels) (resized).pngScreenshot 2022-11-17 at 09-18-50 d1xbghy70i0a1.jpg (JPEG Image 720 × 960 pixels) (resized).pngScreenshot 2022-11-17 at 09-24-57 The 17-string bass Elwood Francis played during a ZZ Top show was a cheap Chinese knockoff of Screenshot 2022-11-17 at 09-24-57 The 17-string bass Elwood Francis played during a ZZ Top show was a cheap Chinese knockoff of
#1312 1 year ago

I betcha that's a bass guitar Derek Smalls could Tap into.

#1313 1 year ago

smalls big bass (resized).jpgsmalls big bass (resized).jpg

#1314 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Elwood's bass.
That neck is under pressure [quoted image][quoted image]

Just read the story about that thing. This is hilarious! The back and forth he had with Jared Dines (the guy who plays the guitar version of that monstrosity the bass was copied from) is the thing of legend. I'm now 100% an Elwood fan (and Dines, come to think of it)

#1315 1 year ago

I wouldn't be totally worried that the neck might warp under pressure from that many strings . . . but I'd probably fret about it.

#1316 1 year ago

All right, ladies and gents - I am on the lookout for a backup to my main guitar. It is a Washburn "NX3". This is a Nuno guitar, except without his name on it, and - crucially - it has a TONE knob which lets me do coil splitting. If I don't find one in the next month I'm going to buy an N2 and have it modified - but I really really don't want to do that.

I've checked Ebay and Reverb and Facebook. Where else are people selling gear these days?

#1317 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

All right, ladies and gents - I am on the lookout for a backup to my main guitar. It is a Washburn "NX3". This is a Nuno guitar, except without his name on it, and - crucially - it has a TONE knob which lets me do coil splitting. If I don't find one in the next month I'm going to buy an N2 and have it modified - but I really really don't want to do that.
I've checked Ebay and Reverb and Facebook. Where else are people selling gear these days?

Shot in the dark, but maybe ping Watchtower Guitars (in my town) to be on the lookout. They get/find some rare and high end stuff.

https://www.watchtowerguitars.com/search?type=product&q=Washburn

Diablo Guitars on Reverb might be able to locate one as it’s up their alley.

#1318 1 year ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Shot in the dark, but maybe ping Watchtower Guitars (in my town) to be on the lookout. They get/find some rare and high end stuff.
https://www.watchtowerguitars.com/search?type=product&q=Washburn
Diablo Guitars on Reverb might be able to locate one as it’s up their alley.

m

I appreciate that! I’ll keep on the lookout. I had the chance to buy 3 of these a few years ago and should have just done it… These are just different enough from the N4s to make it worth the hunt. Plus I don’t want to wreck a $3k guitar (I’ll be drilling to add a push-pull tone knob for the coil split, and replacing the Bill Lawrence and the bridge pickup with a Bare Knuckle and Air Norton, respectively)

#1319 1 year ago

I just bought my kid her first bass guitar, I'm sure I'll be back with questions. Thanks in advance!

#1320 1 year ago

Stevie wonder discovers a new instrument. I thought this group might enjoy this.

#1321 1 year ago

And then watch him play it for bill whithers with his own song!

#1322 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

m
I appreciate that! I’ll keep on the lookout. I had the chance to buy 3 of these a few years ago and should have just done it… These are just different enough from the N4s to make it worth the hunt. Plus I don’t want to wreck a $3k guitar (I’ll be drilling to add a push-pull tone knob for the coil split, and replacing the Bill Lawrence and the bridge pickup with a Bare Knuckle and Air Norton, respectively)

Found it! Random ad came up from a music store in Ann Arbor, and it just so happens I'm heading up to Toledo to visit family this week. 45 minute drive, save myself $80 in shipping!

#1323 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Found it! Random ad came up from a music store in Ann Arbor, and it just so happens I'm heading up to Toledo to visit family this week. 45 minute drive, save myself $80 in shipping!

NICE!

#1324 1 year ago

This probably isn't the right place to post this, but maybe someone can point me in the right direction. I got a Korg Rhythm 55 from my uncle that passed away. I'm trying to help some of his stuff. There are guitars as well, I'll post those another time. Anyway, it doesn't power on. I cracked it open. Fuse is good, there is 120v getting to the transformer and nothing leaving the transformer. Power knob is working, it cuts off power to the transformer. If the transformer is cheap enough I may just toss a new one in and see if it does anything else. I can't find any information on what the transformer is. It's marked KB-101. Any ideas on finding a replacement?

2022-11-21 22.03.32 (resized).jpg2022-11-21 22.03.32 (resized).jpg2022-11-22 21.45.33 (resized).jpg2022-11-22 21.45.33 (resized).jpgpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1325 1 year ago

Try Deoxit on the power pot. I’d do all of them while you have it open. Read the instructions if you haven’t used that product before. Basically, with power off and unplugged, spray inside the potentiometer, then turn the knob back and forth all the way 10 times, let it dry and then try it. Disclaimer, read the instructions for Deoxit product.

#1326 1 year ago

These are my Parker Fly Deluxe's. A '93 and a '94.
The best electric guitar ever made, and I feel there is even a beauty to be found in its ugliness.

268031523_10166429326085553_2669879294552475439_n (resized).jpg268031523_10166429326085553_2669879294552475439_n (resized).jpg
#1327 1 year ago
Quoted from tamoore:

These are my Parker Fly Deluxe's. A '93 and a '94.
The best electric guitar ever made, and I feel there is even a beauty to be found in its ugliness.
[quoted image]

Those 90s Parkers are out of this world. I thought about getting one of those a while back, but I couldn’t find one local to try it out. The composite fingerboards are supposed to be awesome. My Brian Moores have the piezo bridge, and it’s incredible how great those sound for clean tones

#1328 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Those 90s Parkers are out of this world. I thought about getting one of those a while back, but I couldn’t find one local to try it out. The composite fingerboards are supposed to be awesome. My Brian Moores have the piezo bridge, and it’s incredible how great those sound for clean tones

These have the piezo bridge. I used to bring 3 guitar with me to shows, now I just use this one because it does a pretty good acoustic simulation, and the electric sounds great. The carbon fiber finger boards are amazing, and it has stainless frets so the guitars are 30 years old and the frets look brand new.

When I got my first Parker guitar it measured .020" at the 24th fret. I raised it a tiny bit so I could hit it a little harder while doing acoustic stuff without it fretting out up the neck. It was setup as a shredder guitar. It has a truss rod, but I have no idea why it would ever need to be adjusted. There is no heal, so playing at the 24th fret feels exactly like playing at the 5th fret. Also, they weigh about 4lbs, which is half the weight of a normal electric guitar. Fully floating bridge, but it stays in tune even with pretty heavy tremolo fiddling. I'll play 4 hours a night and normally never have to tune - It comes out of the gig bag still in tune from the last show.

Both of my Parkers were bought from Reverb just relying on photos, and both came in perfect condition. I played one back in the late 90's, but there was no way I could afford one back then. Parker guitars are the only guitars I'd really trust buying before playing them, just because of how solid the guitars are.

The story is, Parker failed because Ken was building a 10,000 dollar guitar that he was selling for 4,000 dollars.

#1329 1 year ago
Quoted from tamoore:

These have the piezo bridge. I used to bring 3 guitar with me to shows, now I just use this one because it does a pretty good acoustic simulation, and the electric sounds great. The carbon fiber finger boards are amazing, and it has stainless frets so the guitars are 30 years old and the frets look brand new.
When I got my first Parker guitar it measured .020" at the 24th fret. I raised it a tiny bit so I could hit it a little harder while doing acoustic stuff without it fretting out up the neck. It was setup as a shredder guitar. It has a truss rod, but I have no idea why it would ever need to be adjusted. There is no heal, so playing at the 24th fret feels exactly like playing at the 5th fret. Also, they weigh about 4lbs, which is half the weight of a normal electric guitar. Fully floating bridge, but it stays in tune even with pretty heavy tremolo fiddling. I'll play 4 hours a night and normally never have to tune - It comes out of the gig bag still in tune from the last show.
Both of my Parkers were bought from Reverb just relying on photos, and both came in perfect condition. I played one back in the late 90's, but there was no way I could afford one back then. Parker guitars are the only guitars I'd really trust buying before playing them, just because of how solid the guitars are.
The story is, Parker failed because Ken was building a 10,000 dollar guitar that he was selling for 4,000 dollars.

A lot of the positives you’re mentioning are why I went to the Washburns - the 7/8 body looks better IMO, is way lighter, the Stephens Extended Cutaway neck is super stable and allows access to the 24th with ease - and mine IS set up like a shredder haha.

I’d love to get one of those 90s Flys. They have the Nitefly and some new ones but they are a whole lot of money and seem to have almost none of the upgrades those guitars are known for

#1331 1 year ago

Not sure if it still works, but Guitar Center will give you a 10% off coupon trading in any working gear. I did this with a couple Monoprice pedals when buying studio monitors.

#1332 1 year ago

Anyone buy any black friday deals on guitar stuff? I paid $225 for a Fender Newporter acoustic/electric in natural, that came today. Spruce top, mahogany back and sides, walnut fretboard, piezo pickup. I usually prefer sunburst, but I liked this better in natural.
Fender Newporter guitar (resized).jpgFender Newporter guitar (resized).jpg
Fender Newporter (resized).jpgFender Newporter (resized).jpg
Fender Newporter back (resized).jpgFender Newporter back (resized).jpg
Fender Newporter headstock (resized).jpgFender Newporter headstock (resized).jpg
Fender Newporter top (resized).jpgFender Newporter top (resized).jpg

#1333 1 year ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Anyone buy any black friday deals on guitar stuff? I paid $225 for a Fender Newporter acoustic/electric in natural, that came today. Spruce top, mahogany back and sides, walnut fretboard, piezo pickup. I usually prefer sunburst, but I liked this better in natural.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Really like it. Do your best to protect it from wild temperature swings, humidity and heat.

#1334 1 year ago

Going to the Martin factory next week to choose my wood for a custom D-45 that probably won't be completed until late next year or early 2024. Anyone that's anywhere near Nazareth, PA owes it to themselves to go on the factory tour. I've done it twice and doing it a third time when I pick the guitar up. For me it was almost life-changing. A truly amazing process, and you really appreciate what a work of art each guitar is.

#1335 1 year ago

That's a lot of bling!

1 month later
#1336 1 year ago

No posts in here for about a month? Everybody too busy with the holidays?
Or maybe spending most of your Pinside time in the thread griping about Bond 60th pricing?

I finally mounted four Sondery locking hangers on one wall in my music room and took some pics of my four sunburst Stratocasters. I'll have to take pics of my three walnut finish guitars hanging with my butterscotch blonde Telecaster another time.
hangers 2 (resized).jpghangers 2 (resized).jpg
hangers 7 (resized).jpghangers 7 (resized).jpg
hangers 5 (resized).jpghangers 5 (resized).jpg

#1337 1 year ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

No posts in here for about a month? Everybody too busy with the holidays?
Or maybe spending most of your Pinside time in the thread griping about Bond 60th pricing?
I finally mounted four Sondery locking hangers on one wall in my music room and took some pics of my four sunburst Stratocasters. I'll have to take pics of my three walnut finish guitars hanging with my butterscotch blonde Telecaster another time.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I’ve been busy building guitars!

I’ve been playing Washburn Nuno body style guitars lately, which are a 7/8 size, strat shape, but with some changes I’ve added:

I installed DiMarzio Air Norton and Steve’s Special pickups, and I replaced the Washburn stock trem with an OFR on one guitar l, and a Gotoh on the other. Both guitars have a knob which lets me do coil splitting, and a Trem-Endus on the block.

Over Christmas I also picked up a 7/8 size Washburn strat body which I just finished installing a 24” scale neck on and wired up - need to put some strings on this afternoon to test it!

#1338 1 year ago

A business contact of mine gifted me this Gibson, so I’ve been busy playing it. I never been a huge Gibson guy but this one is changing my mind.

70002E4F-1EFF-453B-AD93-1E88D0065D22 (resized).jpeg70002E4F-1EFF-453B-AD93-1E88D0065D22 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#1339 1 year ago

It looks like I started playing guitar about a year too late (2010).

I discovered this video today and the corresponding Wikipedia page. This is comedy gold! I feel like I filled a void in my life that I don’t know existed.

Please enjoy

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Breaks_Guitars

#1340 1 year ago

How about some vintage effects? I've had all of these for 30 years or more...
Left to right:
Original Thomas Organ Co. Cry Baby wah pedal. I bought it new in 1972 when they went on sale for $29.95 at Biasco Music in Chicago. It still works well and I use it fairly regularly. I think I still have the original invoice around somewhere.
Dallas-Arbiter Fuzz Face, made in England. Found it in the "bargain bin" at a Boulder music store for 10 bucks around 1984.
Musitronics Mu-Tron Phaser. AC powered phaser with a great range of phase speeds from barely turning, to a fast warble. May have been from the same Boulder bargain bin in the 80s.
Gray Ross compressor from Gary Gand Music in Northfield, Illinois, probably early 80s. Needs a little work to get it going again.
Looking up the current prices on all this stuff makes me wish I had saved EVERY guitar and pedal that I ever bought!!!

20230115_201535 (resized).jpg20230115_201535 (resized).jpg
#1341 1 year ago

Here's a guitar I built a long time ago and playing in action. Everything hand carved with jigsaw and a spokeshave. Always wanted to get a Kiesel but never played one and I wanted something specific. Also they are a bit pricey.

gtr (resized).pnggtr (resized).png
#1342 1 year ago

I'm a Fender guy, with 7 Fender guitars and 3 Fender amps. I like the clean Fender sound, but I'm looking for some other sounds to use in my original jazz-rock instrumentals. I'm experimenting with some new effects pedals (first new pedals I've purchased in decades). Below from left to right:
LEKATO Loop Stage -- 9 loops, 40 minutes recording time, 48K/24bit sampling rate
FENDER Mirror Image Delay -- digital delay also simulates analog and tape delays
FENDER The Trapper -- multi-voiced fuzz with switch to add an octave higher tone
BOSS Synthesizer SY-200 -- analog-synth-based tone generator
PIGTRONICS Philosopher's Gold -- compressor/sustainer/overdrive
new pedals (resized).jpgnew pedals (resized).jpgAnyone have experience with some of these pedals?

#1343 1 year ago

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=625875

$13.99 Stage Right by Monoprice SIC1 True-bypass Silicon Fuzz Guitar Pedal

6258751.jpg6258751.jpg
#1344 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=625875
$13.99 Stage Right by Monoprice SIC1 True-bypass Silicon Fuzz Guitar Pedal[quoted image]

I had a couple Monoprice pedals. They sounded fine, but I was pretty disappointed they couldn't be powered by a battery. Yes, I realize they are super cheap.
I ended up dumping it for the 10% discount at GC.

3 weeks later
#1345 1 year ago

Monoprice Pedal Power Supply today, $39 with code = PRES

8 outlets, fully isolated

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=600062&AID=11051853&PID=448585

Screenshot 2023-02-16 at 17-14-52 Indio by Monoprice Power Block Fully Isolated 8-ouput Guitar Pedal Power Supply - Monoprice.coScreenshot 2023-02-16 at 17-14-52 Indio by Monoprice Power Block Fully Isolated 8-ouput Guitar Pedal Power Supply - Monoprice.co
#1346 1 year ago

Haven't posted in a bit. Been grabbing some tube amps - OR15 running through the Peavey 4x12 w/ 75W Celestions, and the Marshall JTM60 playing through an 80's 1965B 4x10. Tone for days!

Marshall-Orange (resized).jpgMarshall-Orange (resized).jpg
#1347 1 year ago

A few years ago, my ex step daughter asked for a guitar to learn at school. I bought one for her it was a midsize guitar. After they moved out, I went through all the closets and found it. I decided I would keep it just to learn a little bit about how to play. About a month ago I traded it at the place I bought it for a full sized guitar. Looking forward to seeing how much I can learn!

#1348 1 year ago
Quoted from Zartan:

A few years ago, my ex step daughter asked for a guitar to learn at school. I bought one for her it was a midsize guitar. After they moved out, I went through all the closets and found it. I decided I would keep it just to learn a little bit about how to play. About a month ago I traded it at the place I bought it for a full sized guitar. Looking forward to seeing how much I can learn!

You will love it.

Once you play guitar, you never have to get married to get laid

#1349 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You will love it.
Once you play guitar, you never have to get married to get laid

You do the way I play guitar. And for some, getting married is the antidote to getting laid.

1 week later
#1350 1 year ago

Passed on Foo Fighters LE, so I had to make it up to myself somehow.

MIJ JV Modified '60s Custom Telecaster - Firemist Gold. Satin neck and fretwork are phenomenal.

CEF916E2-8D21-4263-AE97-25E7C274554D (resized).jpegCEF916E2-8D21-4263-AE97-25E7C274554D (resized).jpeg
There are 1,633 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 33.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-guitar-players-and-guitar-stuff-needs-more-vid/page/27?hl=vipertim and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.