20211106_003252 (resized).jpg
20211105_105916 (resized).jpg
20211030_101745 (resized).jpg
lyrictheater (resized).jpg
EQW5.gif
20180215_213332 (resized).jpg
20171110_214132 (resized).jpg
9235001665_fcs_ins_frt_1_rr (resized).png

There are 1,060 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 22.
#1051 4 days ago
Quoted from vid1900:

$220 nowadays will get you something with insane specs like the MOTU M4 (audiophiles actually buy them because the D/A outperforms $2000 "audiophile" units https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/motu-m4-audio-interface-review.15757/).

MOTU for the win again. I use their M2 with a pair of Generic 8020Cs for my home setup. Dead simple to use. Gets the job done.

#1052 3 days ago
Quoted from radial_head:

MOTU for the win again. I use their M2 with a pair of Generic 8020Cs for my home setup. Dead simple to use. Gets the job done.

Yep, the M2 is also one of the best in the world performance wise :

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/motu-m2-review-audio-interface.19911/

best audio interface review 2021 (resized).png

#1053 3 days ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Yep, the M2 is also one of the best in the world performance wise :
[quoted image]

Crap, that’s the first thing I’m looking at when upgrading next

#1054 1 day ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Avid, is *horrible* in their software development and QA. Yes that definitely includes ProTools.

Glad to hear this. I feel even more vindicated. I do radio production for a living, been using Adobe Audition (whatever version is with Adobe CC) for the last 3 years, Audition 3.0 prior. Corporate had the idea to put everyone on ProTools. Some prod guys love Audition, some swear by ProTools. Kind of a Ford vs Chevy thing. Each group used whatever it was using with no edict either way. I volunteered to be the guinea pig locally. I've produced high level shit with reel to reel/cut 'n' splice, multitrack tape, a Roland DM-80 digital workstation, SAW and Audition. And other programs. ProTools was a fucking disaster for me. It didn't like our networks, our hardware (Win10 PC's) or anything. Let alone being able to use any of our sessions we've built over the years. Even with the stuff I tried to do, it was like trying to turn a bolt with a screwdriver. Lotsa swearing and bleeding and nothing gets done and you want to beat someone senseless. Luckily for us, corporate relented, partially because it would also be a nightmare for IT. I can see where ProTools can excel in some environments (especially recording music) but it sure as hell wasn't for us.

My biggest regret was that the install didn't come on a CD-ROM so I could piss on it.

#1055 1 day ago
Quoted from Becker34:

Glad to hear this. I feel even more vindicated. I do radio production for a living, been using Adobe Audition (whatever version is with Adobe CC) for the last 3 years, Audition 3.0 prior. Corporate had the idea to put everyone on ProTools. Some prod guys love Audition, some swear by ProTools. Kind of a Ford vs Chevy thing. Each group used whatever it was using with no edict either way. I volunteered to be the guinea pig locally. I've produced high level shit with reel to reel/cut 'n' splice, multitrack tape, a Roland DM-80 digital workstation, SAW and Audition. And other programs. ProTools was a fucking disaster for me. It didn't like our networks, our hardware (Win10 PC's) or anything. Let alone being able to use any of our sessions we've built over the years. Even with the stuff I tried to do, it was like trying to turn a bolt with a screwdriver. Lotsa swearing and bleeding and nothing gets done and you want to beat someone senseless. Luckily for us, corporate relented, partially because it would also be a nightmare for IT. I can see where ProTools can excel in some environments (especially recording music) but it sure as hell wasn't for us.
My biggest regret was that the install didn't come on a CD-ROM so I could piss on it.

I’m a musician and filmmaker and have worked for 25 years in IT. Avid made the industry standard film editing software for years - “industry standard” because there wasn’t much else. Adobe Premiere was light years away from being considered “professional”. Apple puts out Final Cut Pro - within 2 years nobody uses Avid. Now many editors use Premiere, which is what I use.

In the audio world, where I spend most of my time, there’s Pro Tools, and Reaper (and SAW! Forgot about that) and not a ton else. I used Adobe Edition way back when it was called “Cool Edit Pro” and it’s still pretty great.

After years of producing my own stuff (I also do voiceover work), I took my band into a “real” studio so we could get some input from outside the 5 of us - it was a disaster. Pro Tools environment. Not compatible with ANYTHING else. Pro Tools on Windows is notoriously buggy, and Avid had always told me “runs way better on Macs”. I swear the Mac must have crashed 5 times a day. After the 5th day, I started getting pissed that we were paying hourly time but waiting around *2* hours every day for the Mac to reboot and HOPE we hadn’t lost anything. What a joke.

That whole session was such a disaster we still haven’t finished the tracks 2 years later and we’ve re-recorded everything at my (significantly more Modest) home studio. Pro Tools is still hanging on, but it’s mostly because people don’t know any better, and the exorbitant amounts of money they charge keeps the company in business.

Like I said, my day job is in IT, and we would never let crap like that in the door, it’s cost me personally thousands of dollars, and companies even more so.

#1056 1 day ago

Reaper is probably the most stable, as far as never crashing

Cakewalk is now free; after being killed off by Gibson, the developers took it over as some sort of labor of love. Works nicely, but I generally use Reaper or Ableton, depending on what the rest of the guys are using

#1057 1 day ago

If the studio's Pro Tools Macs were crashing that frequently, the problem was not with the platform, but with those who configured the Macs. The first rule of thumb for Pro Tools (and Avid, too), is that it does not play well with others. You want a dedicated Mac that is kept lean and clean.

Logic Pro is a mature platform worthy of consideration. Even Apple's free GarageBand application is pretty feature rich. A few years back, Trent Reznor released a Nine Inch Nails track as a GarageBand file.

#1058 18 hours ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

(and SAW! Forgot about that)

SAW was the first PC based DAW I worked with. Was dragged into it kicking and screaming when I went in one day and found my DM-80 was yanked by the engineer. This was probably around '98. Once I got the hang of it I never looked back, although I still miss mixing on an actual board (which I got to do at band gigs). Biggest drawback was SAW Pro still didn't see MP3's and we had a huge 2 gig HD. One of our morning show producers still uses SAW Pro for some reason. Still runs on Win10. So does Audion 3.0 - I use it at home. You used to be able to download it from Adobe for free, but they haven't offered it for years. For years we've been told how 3.0 wouldn't work on anything newer than Win7 but it still does. Bigger sessions seem to bog it down, though.

#1059 10 hours ago
Quoted from Becker34:

SAW was the first PC based DAW I worked with. Was dragged into it kicking and screaming when I went in one day and found my DM-80 was yanked by the engineer. This was probably around '98. Once I got the hang of it I never looked back, although I still miss mixing on an actual board (which I got to do at band gigs). Biggest drawback was SAW Pro still didn't see MP3's and we had a huge 2 gig HD. One of our morning show producers still uses SAW Pro for some reason. Still runs on Win10. So does Audion 3.0 - I use it at home. You used to be able to download it from Adobe for free, but they haven't offered it for years. For years we've been told how 3.0 wouldn't work on anything newer than Win7 but it still does. Bigger sessions seem to bog it down, though.

Same - SAW was the first non-destructive I worked with. I remember Audition having an issue with MP3s at first, but I think that’s long been solved. the CC versions cost far
More now that they’ve moved to the subscription model, but nothing in the underlying software has really changed.

As Vid mentioned, I also use Reaper almost exclusively now

#1060 10 hours ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

If the studio's Pro Tools Macs were crashing that frequently, the problem was not with the platform, but with those who configured the Macs. The first rule of thumb for Pro Tools (and Avid, too), is that it does not play well with others. You want a dedicated Mac that is kept lean and clean.

It was. Backups, optical drive connections, all Avid recommended interfaces, all industry standard AUs used. Happened to us when we worked at 800 East and TreeSound Studios too. I’m long done with it

There are 1,060 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 22.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside