IMG_0797 (resized).jpg
IMG_2182 (resized).jpeg
20240323_120944 (resized).jpg
20240406_140946 (resized).jpg
20240328_163115 (resized).jpg
23091530446-angle-xlarge (resized).jpg
23091530446-front-xlarge (resized).jpg
A6325A15-5129-48FC-B44D-812AEB5D056D (resized).jpeg
There are 1,631 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 33.
#1001 2 years ago
Quoted from Turdbol:

Here's my pair of 1971 Super Leads![quoted image]

Ooof.... your poor ears. Those fuckers are loud.

I toured with something similar that had a power soak on it and it was still brutal. Noone would come near my side of the stage (which was kinda nice actually)

#1002 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I absolutely do not understand who the target market is. If I'm not mistaken, this is the same basic 90s Strat cut, neck, and bridge. Crusty old "vintage" guys by and large are not going to understand who Mark Levinson is. I do like the carbon fiber changes and the blue paint looks nice. The pickguard though!

I guess it's for folks who are nostalgic for the hair metal days? Which would be...nobody?

#1003 2 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Well. I own one of these now I guess.
[quoted image]

Klon hype/prices are crazy...

Wampler makes a pedal called a Tumnus that is basically a Klon ( I cant tell the difference between the two) but does way more and is just regular pedal priced.

#1004 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I guess it's for folks who are nostalgic for the hair metal days? Which would be...nobody?

LOL I guess so. I'd say that would be me, but I was into thrash back then, except for Motley Crue which was the biggest thing in 7th grade. At my lunch table anyway. Sometimes there were even other kids there!

#1005 2 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Ooof.... your poor ears. Those fuckers are loud.
I toured with something similar that had a power soak on it and it was still brutal. Noone would come near my side of the stage (which was kinda nice actually)

Poor ears - Poor walls! The walls in my house shake when they get on 3/4ish!

#1006 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I absolutely do not understand who the target market is.

It's for rich douches to hang on their wall and then say to me "You play guitar right? You GOT to see this!!!! Same paint as my Lexi !!!! Super rare, they only made 100, so of course I got one the moment it came out!!!!!"

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

If I'm not mistaken, this is the same basic 90s Strat cut, neck.....

The fretboard is made of blue Richlite with a 12" radius and Stainless Steel frets - very un-fender, especially not 90s Fender

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Crusty old "vintage" guys by and large are not going to understand who Mark Levinson is.

Everyone who paid $10k for the Levinson system in their Lexus never fails to tell you how many speakers it has and how much it costs.

Levinson is a super crusty brand from the 70s in my eyes

#1007 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It's for rich douches to hang on their wall and then say to me "You play guitar right? You GOT to see this!!!! Same paint as my Lexi !!!! Super rare, they only made 100, so of course I got one the moment it came out!!!!!"

The fretboard is made of blue Richlite with a 12" radius and Stainless Steel frets - very un-fender, especially not 90s Fender

Everyone who paid $10k for the Levinson system in their Lexus never fails to tell you how many speakers it has and how much it costs.
Levinson is a super crusty brand from the 70s in my eyes

Haha so maybe Fender did know what they were doing

Just read about the current state of the Levinson company - apparently Levinson himself left in the 80s, and the company has nothing to do with him - but the Levinson brand name is now owned by Samsung. WTF

#1008 2 years ago

Klon hype/prices are crazy...
Wampler makes a pedal called a Tumnus that is basically a Klon ( I cant tell the difference between the two) but does way more and is just regular pedal priced.

They are. Not to add to the hype, but as far as I know, it is one of the last NIB KTR from their original run as well as the earliest documented serial number.

Took it out of the box to try it out. Sounds great. I think there are plenty of pedals that sound similar, and I won't say the Tumnus is any better or worse, but it's cool to have the original thing.

#1009 2 years ago

I do like the move to SS frets though. That's one of the big reasons I have moved toward assembling my own guitars rather than buying from Fender.

#1010 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Just read about the current state of the Levinson company - apparently Levinson himself left in the 80s, and the company has nothing to do with him - but the Levinson brand name is now owned by Samsung. WTF

Yep.

When your company is your own name, and it gets into trouble and you take on investors or sell it - you lose the rights to your name.

Same thing as when Leo sold Fender to CBS in 1965.

#1011 2 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

They are. Not to add to the hype, but as far as I know, it is one of the last NIB KTR from their original run as well as the earliest documented serial number.
Took it out of the box to try it out. Sounds great. I think there are plenty of pedals that sound similar, and I won't say the Tumnus is any better or worse, but it's cool to have the original thing.

Tumnus just has more options on it so you can shape things more.

These things are pretty great also, if you ever wondered how ACDC gets "that sound"

https://solodallas-shop.com/products/schaffer-replica-ex-tower-by-solodallas

#1012 2 years ago

Tumnus just has more options on it so you can shape things more.

I’ll vouch for the Tumnus as well. Does a nice job
of recreating that Klon sound. In fact, I think most Wampler pedals are solid.

#1013 2 years ago

Had both of these for 30+ years...
20171110_214132 (resized).jpg20171110_214132 (resized).jpg
'85 Les Paul Custom. Got it used in late '86 or early '87.

The story behind it was when I was taking lessons on acoustic at a local shop my dad told me he'd buy me an electric if I met goals set by him and my teacher. Difficulty: used only, he wouldn't pop for a new one. The tags on the new LP's they had were $1100-1200ish. This was the best LP they had hanging in the shop. I had to have a Les Paul shaped object because Jimmy Page. He got it for $675. What a creampuff. No wear except for worming on the back from the WWF championship belt the previous owner wore. It survived teenage me who insisted on doing my own work on it despite hardly knowing shit from shinola about guitar maintenance. It sounds like a Les Paul and weighs as much as a Lincoln Town Car even with weight relief. All original except for strap locks.

But DAMNIT! I WANT ANOTHER GUITAR! A few years later I put feelers out at the same shop that I was looking for another LP, maybe a beater. One of the other guitar teachers said he had just the guitar for me. I got him down to $375 and was presented with an '80 Les Paul Standard that had been rode hard and put away wet. This guy had acid sweat and probably never wiped it down and maybe even pissed on it. It was gigged HARD. It was fucking disgusting when I got it, complete with rusted strings.

She cleaned up well and quickly became my #1. All original except for strap locks, replacement pick guard and speed knobs. I got it with witch hats, which I hate, and they're not right for that era. My guess is he swapped the original speeds to an early '70's LPC. When I play out, it's my stage guitar. Even though it has the same electronics and pickups as the LPC, this thing is just an unholy, filthy beast. Which suits me well.

20180215_213332 (resized).jpg20180215_213332 (resized).jpg

#1014 2 years ago

Beautiful guitars!

Quoted from Becker34:

No wear except for worming on the back from the WWF championship belt the previous owner wore.

Wait, what? Maybe it belonged to this guy at some point.
EQW5.gifEQW5.gif

#1015 2 years ago

I love this thread but I don't really get to contribute. Today I bought tickets to see both Joe Bonamassa and Steve Vai and the two shows are only three weeks apart. I'm super excited!

It will be my third time seeing Joe but I've never had the pleasure of seeing Vai live. And at the coolest venue!

lyrictheater (resized).jpglyrictheater (resized).jpg
#1016 2 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I love this thread but I don't really get to contribute. Today I bought tickets to see both Joe Bonamassa and Steve Vai and the two shows are only three weeks apart. I'm super excited!
It will be my third time seeing Joe but I've never had the pleasure of seeing Vai live. And at the coolest venue!
[quoted image]

I've seen Joe many times and he plays at some great Ohio venues. Highly recommended!

#1017 2 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

My dad has tickets to that show. Might have to fight my mom for the other one...

2 weeks later
#1018 2 years ago

Hey maybe you can help me out with this. I was listening to a classic rock local radio station. They play a lot of 60's- early 80's classic rock B side stuff. Anyways, I just caught the ending of a song, like space or prog rock with a wah or maybe phaser in the guitar in the repeat riff and it had the lyric "you could take it with you" or something like that, in a kinda steady repeat. What song is this and by who?

#1019 2 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

"you could take it with you" or something like that, in a kinda steady repeat. What song is this and by who?

A quick internet check makes me think you're talking about "you can't take it with you" from the Alan Parsons Project...Give that a listen and see if that's the song you're thinking of.

#1020 2 years ago
Quoted from egyptrus:

A quick internet check makes me think you're talking about "you can't take it with you" from the Alan Parsons Project...Give that a listen and see if that's the song you're thinking of.

That's it! Thank you.

#1021 2 years ago

Its a good feeling to have your pedals dialed in (for the most part.)

This is my main pedalboard. I just picked up an SD-1 for a good price and so far I like how it works well with the Big Muff and Turbo Rat. I'm happy with the gain stages I get. Turbo Rat for solos, Muff for massive sound. Dyna Comp adds even more boost and sustain.

I really like the Deluxe Memory Man for power drone with the Muff or just ambient modulation. EQD Levitation Reverb is always on.

20211030_101745 (resized).jpg20211030_101745 (resized).jpg

#1022 2 years ago

Speaking of Rats, anyone have any thoughts on the new JHS PackRat?

#1023 2 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

Speaking of Rats, anyone have any thoughts on the new JHS PackRat?

Looks like good bang for the buck, similar to their pedal with all the Muff variants.

1 week later
#1024 2 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Well. I own one of these now I guess.
[quoted image]

Pretty bad ass. Worth the hype?

#1025 2 years ago

So, back in Kansas for a sad reason, but along the way, I got the two primary guitars I played in high school back from the nephew I gave them to.

One is gutted and sanded, ready for new everything.

The other is a Peavey Patriot that has taken quite the beating. The big pick guard shattered by the pickup switch, and later, the plexiglass replacement I hacked up for it shattered in the same spot. Then somehow, it has split along the original glue line in the body. I'll tear it down, fix that and maybe refinish the body.

I've never figured out what type of guitar the first one is. It had a custom fit gig bag that said Dean Markley, but I can't find anything that looks like this shape. Some very similar Ibanez and Bc Rich models, but nothing quite like this. I'm thinking either a jet black finish with a deep clear coat, or maybe do some graphics and clear coat it. Since it's meant for metal, I'm thinking a dual alnico V setup, but I don't know shit about selecting pickups, so any advice is welcome.

20211105_105916 (resized).jpg20211105_105916 (resized).jpg20211106_003252 (resized).jpg20211106_003252 (resized).jpg
#1026 2 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

So, back in Kansas for a sad reason, but along the way, I got the two primary guitars I played in high school back from the nephew I gave them to.
The other is a Peavey Patriot that has taken quite the beating. The big pick guard shattered by the pickup switch, and later, the plexiglass replacement I hacked up for it shattered in the same spot. Then somehow, it has split along the original glue line in the body. I'll tear it down, fix that and maybe refinish the body.
I've never figured out what type of guitar the first one is. It had a custom fit gig bag that said Dean Markley, but I can't find anything that looks like this shape. Some very similar Ibanez and Bc Rich models, but nothing quite like this. I'm thinking either a jet black finish with a deep clear coat, or maybe do some graphics and clear coat it. Since it's meant for metal, I'm thinking a dual alnico V setup, but I don't know shit about selecting pickups, so any advice is welcome. [quoted image][quoted image]

I have the EXACT same guitar (the unfinished one). Same body shape, same headstock. Kind of looks like a BC Rich Ironbird, but isn’t.

I got it from a shop near KCMO when I lived there. Maybe it’s some kind of local designed kit guitar? Never seen another like it

#1027 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I got it from a shop near KCMO when I lived there. Maybe it’s some kind of local designed kit guitar? Never seen another like it

Awesome! Could you share a picture?

#1028 2 years ago

Trying to find more pics. It was used as a prop in my girlfriend's senior pictures.

20211107_223205 (resized).jpg20211107_223205 (resized).jpg
#1029 2 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

Awesome! Could you share a picture?

It’s at my folks house in Ohio. I’ll be there over thanksgiving, so I’ll snap one then

#1030 2 years ago
Quoted from Bobbydevil:

Pretty bad ass. Worth the hype?

It's pretty amazing, but I'm not a huge overdrive person. I also mostly play pedal steel these days and it sounds like absolute dogshit while using it on that. It's cool having the last new KTR from the first run. Every few weeks or so I take it out of the box pick up the guitar and try it out and it blows my mind every time.

The only other overdrive pedal I've ever liked is the Mid-Fi Electronics Magick "I" which is, and I do not say this lightly, the most unique overdrive/distortion pedal in the world. Doug at Mid-Fi is one of the best (and one of the first) in the biz.

#1031 2 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

I've never figured out what type of guitar the first one is. It had a custom fit gig bag that said Dean Markley, but I can't find anything that looks like this shape. Some very similar Ibanez and Bc Rich models, but nothing quite like this. I'm thinking either a jet black finish with a deep clear coat, or maybe do some graphics and clear coat it. Since it's meant for metal, I'm thinking a dual alnico V setup, but I don't know shit about selecting pickups, so any advice is welcome. [quoted image][quoted image]

Also, I have "Bare Knuckle" Pickups in my Washburn N3, which are SUUUUUPER high-output pickups. They sound amazing for metal tones, and give you bite even in clean tones (although I wouldn't use them for jazz). That is going to be replaced soon with a Steve's Special so I can put the Bare Knuckle in one of my more "metal" looking guitars. The N3 has a DiMarzio Air Norton in the bridge position.

In one of my other guitars, I have an *original* Bill Lawrence L-500-XL (the Dimebag pickup) reversed as per his specs. Sounds amazing. Unfortunately I installed it in a guitar which is so damn heavy I rarely play it.

#1032 2 years ago

Here's a picture of me from 2008 with the first 'real' guitar I learned on. I sold it around 2011 (probably for college beer money) and always regretted it.

1924004_1063978592319_572_n (resized).jpg1924004_1063978592319_572_n (resized).jpg

Turns out, that particular guitar is somewhat rare in that color and was only made for 1 year. It's a Squier Showmaster, not particularly expensive, but hard to find in good shape these days.

Well, I have FINALLY been reunited after scouring the web for about 2 1/2 years. This thing plays better than I remember!

PXL_20211103_021313100 (1) (resized).jpgPXL_20211103_021313100 (1) (resized).jpg
PXL_20211103_011347586 (1) (resized).jpgPXL_20211103_011347586 (1) (resized).jpg

It's not particularly expensive or anything, but playing it hits me right in the nostalgia. The humbuckers also provide a nice change of pace from the single coils I've been working with over the last few years.

#1033 2 years ago

This post demands a pic of you now with the one you just got, in the same pose!

#1034 2 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Here's a picture of me from 2008 with the first 'real' guitar I learned on. I sold it around 2011 (probably for college beer money) and always regretted it.
[quoted image]
Turns out, that particular guitar is somewhat rare in that color and was only made for 1 year. It's a Squier Showmaster, not particularly expensive, but hard to find in good shape these days.
Well, I have FINALLY been reunited after scouring the web for about 2 1/2 years. This thing plays better than I remember!
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
It's not particularly expensive or anything, but playing it hits me right in the nostalgia. The humbuckers also provide a nice change of pace from the single coils I've been working with over the last few years.

NICE! The guitar I learned on was a 1980-something Aria Pro II TS-800 Tri-Sound like this. The guy from the next college dorm room over lent it to me. One day I'll pick one up. Definitely unique.

pdioi8wlrd1age6bvyai (resized).jpgpdioi8wlrd1age6bvyai (resized).jpg
#1035 2 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

NICE! The guitar I learned on was a 1980-something Aria Pro II TS-800 Tri-Sound like this. The guy from the next college dorm room over lent it to me. One day I'll pick one up. Definitely unique.[quoted image]

Wow, love that

#1036 2 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

This post demands a pic of you now with the one you just got, in the same pose!

Yes! I'll do that.

#1037 2 years ago

Aria Pro II TS-800 Tri-Sound

Every Aria I've ever played has absolutely blown my mind. Great guitars. That one looks like no exception. I had a few of their 4001 copies that rule.

#1038 2 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Every Aria I've ever played has absolutely blown my mind. Great guitars. That one looks like no exception. I had a few of their 4001 copies that rule.

100% agree. What happened to that company? Did they get consumed by Fender like Jackson did? (RIP neck-thru Jacksons...)

#1039 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

100% agree. What happened to that company? Did they get consumed by Fender like Jackson did? (RIP neck-thru Jacksons...)

In theory they still exist and are still made in Japan, but I have no idea what the actual deal is with their production. I get really lost on those details (even the heavily documented ones) really easily. I will say their new guitars don't look.... great...

#1040 2 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

In theory they still exist and are still made in Japan, but I have no idea what the actual deal is with their production. I get really lost on those details (even the heavily documented ones) really easily. I will say their new guitars don't look.... great...

LOL too bad... I am only buying 80s and 90s guitars at this point, even lesser known brands (like Aria, I suppose) because the ones made now are just sooooo junky. The metal is way too soft, the wood feels wrong... But a 90s-era Jackson can still be found under $1K if you aren't picky about the body art

#1041 2 years ago

Just found this thread. I've had way too much gear to post over the years (guitar and otherwise) but here's a recent shot of me after a recent tournament:

242352531_885537202085109_6559796085662342245_n (resized).jpg242352531_885537202085109_6559796085662342245_n (resized).jpg
#1042 2 years ago

NICE! The guitar I learned on was a 1980-something Aria Pro II TS-800 Tri-Sound like this. The guy from the next college dorm room over lent it to me. One day I'll pick one up. Definitely unique.[quoted image]

Nice! I had an Aria Pro 2 bass that looked just like your gtr. It is one I regret selling. Super light weight , easy to play and solid sound. I sold it to a studio I was helping a friend record at because the frets were wearing down and I was worried about having to have them replaced. Thanks for bringing back that memory!

#1043 2 years ago

One of the absolute shittiest guitars I've ever owned that I absolutely regret selling was this Cort Lead II copy. Great fucking guitar. Had half wounds on it. Sounded excellent. The neck was a little fucked up in the way all Corts are. Always wanted to put a warmth Gibson Conversion neck on it but felt silly buying a $400 neck for a guitar I paid $100 for.

Damn do I miss this one.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg
#1044 2 years ago
Quoted from ghostbc:

Nice! I had an Aria Pro 2 bass that looked just like your gtr. It is one I regret selling. Super light weight , easy to play and solid sound. I sold it to a studio I was helping a friend record at because the frets were wearing down and I was worried about having to have them replaced. Thanks for bringing back that memory!

I learned Bass on an early Aria pro-2 in Natural, really nice rig.
Looked one up 10 years ago and it was really expensive, the secret on these Japan-issue ones has been out for a long time.
Any made in Japan guitar deserves a second look, but they really hit their stride in the 80's.
I would prefer a Japan Gretsch Country Gentleman over the original any day, heck with the value.

#1045 2 years ago

My dad had an Aria acoustic that I mostly learned on years ago. The bridge had warped the front, unfortunately. If I had the skill, I'd disassemble and flatten it, but alas...

1 week later
#1046 2 years ago

I bought an awesome DIGI-002 for $1000 back in 2004.

Av!d dropped support for the drivers in 2016. Not updating their drivers for 64-bit MacOS. (10.15+)

SO PISSED OFF -- the hardware works 100% and could continue to work another 25+ years.

Lesson learned, some companies *hate their customers*.

Invest as LITTLE as possible in hardware that RELIES on drivers, in case the company hates its customers, or goes out of business.

-mof

#1047 2 years ago

What do you like for a USB Audio interface?

I'd like to get something affordable, so when the company quits working on drivers, while the hardware keeps working 100% -- they've screwed me out of as little money as possible when they force my hand to buy more hardware.

https://www.sweetwater.com/c695--USB_Audio_Interfaces

-mof

#1048 2 years ago
Quoted from mof:

What do you like for a USB Audio interface?
I'd like to get something affordable, so when the company quits working on drivers, while the hardware keeps working 100% -- they've screwed me out of as little money as possible when they force my hand to buy more hardware.
https://www.sweetwater.com/c695--USB_Audio_Interfaces
-mof

I hear you - 2 things: That Digi *IS* pretty old, but I also have mixers from the 70s (and 80s!) that still work without a computer, so I get the frustration.

Second thing: Don't buy anything with any sort of proprietary interface, especially one designed by Apple (or especially, emphatically not by DigiDesign/Avid). This is a sidebar, but Avid, is *horrible* in their software development and QA. Yes that definitely includes ProTools.

Anyway: USB is a ubiquitous standard, so it's safer from being "retired". That said, jsut because it's USB doesn't mean the drivers themselves won't be retired - the two have nothing to do with one another. You're far safer getting something USB ,but *anything* that uses a computer interface *at all* will eventually become obsolete.

What I do is stay 1 standard behind and upgrade every 10 years or so. I hate it too, but i hate it a *lot* worse than when something suddenly craps out or is no longer supported.

#1049 2 years ago

I didn't realize UAD interfaces were that cheap now. Pretty unreal if you ask me.

For product longevity and commitment I've always leaned towards MOTU, but the UAD interfaces with their plugin selection is pretty hard to beat. My studio is still running a pair of MOTU 828s (MKii and MK3 in tandem via the ADAT link) as my main 16 I/O. Are they professional grade converters? Hell no. Do they get the job done? Yeah.

#1050 2 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I bought an awesome DIGI-002 for $1000 back in 2004.
Av!d dropped support for the drivers in 2016. Not updating their drivers for 64-bit MacOS. (10.15+)
SO PISSED OFF -- the hardware works 100% and could continue to work another 25+ years.
Lesson learned, some companies *hate their customers*.
Invest as LITTLE as possible in hardware that RELIES on drivers, in case the company hates its customers, or goes out of business.
-mof

After 2 decades, it's amazing that a tech company is still in business, let alone paying programing teams to write software to support outdated hardware platforms.

$220 nowadays will get you something with insane specs like the MOTU M4 (audiophiles actually buy them because the D/A outperforms $2000 "audiophile" units https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/motu-m4-audio-interface-review.15757/).

With standard USB-C and a top sampling rate of 192khz, you can start filling that 18tb hard drive .

There are 1,631 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 33.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-guitar-players-and-guitar-stuff-needs-more-vid/page/21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.