IMG_0797 (resized).jpg
IMG_2182 (resized).jpeg
20240323_120944 (resized).jpg
20240406_140946 (resized).jpg
20240328_163115 (resized).jpg
23091530446-angle-xlarge (resized).jpg
23091530446-front-xlarge (resized).jpg
A6325A15-5129-48FC-B44D-812AEB5D056D (resized).jpeg
There are 1,633 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 33.
#801 2 years ago

I would check out Eastman guitars also...

Those are a great bang for the buck and the craftmanship is better than most of the bigger brands.

Well built with quality parts...

#802 2 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Even the S2 version is a better guitar than most custom shop gibsons and less than half the price.

I play an PRS S2 Custom 24. It was about $1500. So, not a trophy but a great guitar nevertheless. Guitars, as with all music related tastes, are, of course, a personal preference.

#803 2 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

I play an PRS S2 Custom 24. It was about $1500. So, not a trophy but a great guitar nevertheless. Guitars, as with all music related tastes, are, of course, a personal preference.

Yah I am more or less talking about the core models that are crazy money.

The S2 line is actually great bang for the buck

#804 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The word "strat" kinda looks stupid on the head stock but the rest of it is pretty sweet!

Almost kind of looks like they misspelled "start". REALLY sweet looking guitar. Love a nice dark wood neck like that.

#805 2 years ago

Gretsch released the maple body and neck with walnut finish Country Gentleman in 1957 as a single-cutaway semi-hollow guitar, then changed it to double-cutaway in 1962 while adding a padded back and built-in damping system (everyone remembers George Harrison using this version). From 1972 thru 1981 open f-holes replaced the painted-on holes, the damper was removed, and a lighter brown finish was offered in addition to the darker walnut. Gretsch lost the rights to the name Country Gentleman and the model changed to the Country Classic II (with II designating double-cutaway, since there was also a single-cutaway version). Gretsch regained the rights in 2008 and the Country Classic reverted to Country Gentleman again.

From 1998 until 2005 a smaller version known as the Country Classic Junior was available, cramming all the gold-plated hardware of the bigger Country Classic onto a 14" walnut finish body. White-bound f-holes (also on later years of the larger Country Classic) add to its beautiful appearance. I purchased a Country Classic Jr. to complete my walnut finish Gibson, Fender and Gretsch trio.
Jr body (resized).jpgJr body (resized).jpg
Jr body topside (resized).jpgJr body topside (resized).jpg
Jr Country Classic (resized).jpgJr Country Classic (resized).jpg
Jr body back (resized).jpgJr body back (resized).jpg
Jr headstock (resized).jpgJr headstock (resized).jpg
Jr in case (resized).jpgJr in case (resized).jpg

#806 2 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Gretsch released the maple body and neck with walnut finish Country Gentleman in 1957 as a single-cutaway semi-hollow guitar, then changed it to double-cutaway in 1962 while adding a padded back and built-in muting system (everyone remembers George Harrison using this version). From 1972 thru 1981 open f-holes replaced the painted-on holes, the mute was removed, and a lighter brown finish was offered in addition to the darker walnut. Gretsch lost the rights to the name Country Gentleman and the model changed to the Country Classic II (with II designating double-cutaway, since there was also a single-cutaway version). Gretsch regained rights in 2008 and the Country Classic reverted to Country Gentleman again.
From 1998 until 2005 a smaller version known as the Country Classic Junior was available, cramming all the gold-plated hardware of the bigger Country Classic onto a 14" walnut finish body. White-bound f-holes (also on later years of the larger Country Classic) add to its beautiful appearance. I purchased a Country Classic Jr. to complete my walnut finish Gibson, Fender and Gretsch trio.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Gorgeous!

Walnut finish looks so good for guitar.

#807 2 years ago

What a beauty!

#808 2 years ago

Yah I am more or less talking about the core models that are crazy money.

Seen the price of a 59 Re. lately?

PRS have always been a bargain for the fit and finish you received when you bought one of their guitars.
Granted. Been a fan since 85. But, they are most definitely responsible for forcing the Big 2 to get their act together.

#809 2 years ago

Probably consider myself a late beginner here, wife is asking for a Father's day gift, I'm thinking of a cheap pedal.

My current board has some Joyo emulator pedals (AC Tone and American Tone), a tube screamer clone, OCD drive, reverb, delay and a looper.

Debating between compression vs another OD, maybe a Klon type OD or a Plexi drive type? I also don't have a wah or a volume pedal.

My main amp is a Fender '65 reissue deluxe reverb, I also have an Orange Tiny Terror into a small orange cab.

Guitars are: Fender standard Mexi Strat, Squire '50's Classic Vibe tele, Tradition Les Paul knockoff (decent Korean made guitar) and a Taylor acoustic.

Music styles I would like to learn to play more are mainly classic rock and fingerstyle acoustic (I know, different ends of the spectrum), I like the classic rock and roll tone but not much into fuzz or metal.

Anyhow, suggestions?

#810 2 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Probably consider myself a late beginner here, wife is asking for a Father's day gift, I'm thinking of a cheap pedal.
My current board has some Joyo emulator pedals (AC Tone and American Tone), a green screamer clone, OCD drive, reverb and delay and a looper.
Debating between compression vs another OD, maybe a Klon type OD or a Plexi drive type? I also don't have a wah or a volume pedal.
My main amp is a Fender '65 reissue deluxe reverb, I also have an Orange Tiny Terror into a small orange cab.
Guitars are: Fender standard Mexi Strat, Squire '50's Classic Vibe tele, Tradition Les Paul knockoff (decent Korean made guitar) and a Taylor acoustic.
Music styles I would like to learn to play more are mainly classic rock and fingerstyle acoustic (I know, different ends of the spectrum), I like the classic rock and roll tone but not much into fuzz or metal.
Anyhow, suggestions?

Maybe a phaser or a nice volume/wah combo pedal since you mentioned not having one.

#811 2 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Seen the price of a 59 Re. lately?
PRS have always been a bargain for the fit and finish you received when you bought one of their guitars.
Granted. Been a fan since 85. But, they are most definitely responsible for forcing the Big 2 to get their act together.

Yah but again I would buy an eastman Paul copy before any Gibson custom shop or not.

Some of their custom shop guitars are dogs and go for crazy money anyways

#812 2 years ago

Without a shadow of a doubt I would recommend these for what you want.

Klon: RYRA the Klone

Compression: Analog.Man

#813 2 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

The Stratocaster had long been called a Strat when Fender introduced a model actually named the STRAT at the 1980 NAMM Show. It reverted from the CBS design to a 4-bolt neck and smaller headstock and old-style (non-bullet) truss rod. It added a hot X-1 bridge pickup and a 2-way rotary switch (in place of the second tone control) which made 9 tones total, including 4 new tones:
neck and middle pickups in series – humbucking
middle and bridge pickups in series – humbucking
neck and bridge pickups in parallel
neck and bridge pickups in parallel, with the middle pickup in series
The STRAT was offered in Olympic White, Candy Apple Red or Lake Placid Blue (with headstock matching the body color) with 22 carat gold electroplated brass hardware and white pickguard. The hardware was plated with a 100 micron gold coat (the same as fine jewlery) and for that reason it’s rumored that the company lost money on every unit sold (standard gold plating is 0.5 micron thick, while 2.5 microns is considered heavy gold plating). Some very early models are missing the gold tuners (same tuners but in chrome) and the gold plated pickup selector tip because of a delay in parts delivery. The STRAT listed for $995 in 1980 ($250 more than a Stratocaster), was raised to $1,095 in 1981 and was priced at $1,150 in 1982 until it was discontinued in early 1983.
Around 1982 Fender added a Walnut STRAT version with solid American black walnut body and neck (including fretboard) and black pickguard. As soon as I read about it, I called every guitar dealer in the greater Chicago area and asked if they had one. Learning there were only six, I planned my route and drove that Saturday to see them all. Due to the nature of wood grain, there was a huge difference in their appearance. The fourth one was beautiful. When you moved the guitar the grain had a similar chatoyant effect of the gemstone tiger's-eye. I had the store hold it for me while I went to look at numbers five and six, promising I would either phone that day if I found something better or come back and purchase it. The last two were no where near as pretty, so I went back and scooped it up. I have added gold-plated plastic pickup covers (and saved the original black covers).
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That's a pretty awesome guitar. I knew I had seen it before in at least one of my guitar books. Here it is!

IMG_8413 (resized).jpgIMG_8413 (resized).jpgIMG_8414 (resized).jpgIMG_8414 (resized).jpg
#814 2 years ago
Quoted from Clytor:

That's a pretty awesome guitar. I knew I had seen it before in at least one of my guitar books. Here it is!

Cool looking but my back hurts just looking at the pics.

Someone let me borrow a rosewood tele once I could not believe how heavy that thing was.

I cannot stand heavy guitars.

#815 2 years ago

Someone let me borrow a rosewood tele once I could not believe how heavy that thing was.

Spot on.
Some of them are good for studio work to obtain a certain sound.
My builds now are what I jokingly refer to as "Old man guitars"
Chambered or near hollow bodies, no extraneous extras like Bigsby. Also follow the thin finish cult to cut weight and let the wood resonate.

#816 2 years ago

Heavy guitars just make me feel manly.

And sore.

I got a nice guitar wall going finally! Can’t believe my babe is letting me get away with this, but you just need some quality axes lording over the Dio Couch.

Two on the wall two on the floor! And I’m done buying guitars! I mean it this time!

I did try out a Gibson 335 but not my cup of tea.

AE1C0A95-B0B2-4E04-B531-A5E0D13D11E9 (resized).jpegAE1C0A95-B0B2-4E04-B531-A5E0D13D11E9 (resized).jpegFFCDC844-800E-40B1-8EE8-9B5CE54BDFC9 (resized).jpegFFCDC844-800E-40B1-8EE8-9B5CE54BDFC9 (resized).jpeg
#817 2 years ago

First public gig in over a year tonight! Trying this out for the first time all together. I'll probably bring the AX8 just in case, but so far it sounds great. I've been dialing in sounds on the AXE FX 3 for months, finally swapping them over to the gig machine.

2021-06-19 14.37.10 (resized).jpg2021-06-19 14.37.10 (resized).jpg
#818 2 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Spot on.
Some of them are good for studio work to obtain a certain sound.
My builds now are what I jokingly refer to as "Old man guitars"
Chambered or near hollow bodies, no extraneous extras like Bigsby. Also follow the thin finish cult to cut weight and let the wood resonate.

The heavy guitars sound better theory is the dopiest guitar thing of all time.

I think fender and Gibson invented that in the 70s when all their guitars were 10 pound pieces of shit.

Its an instrument that vibrates... not a door stop.

The best sounding Les Paul I ever played weighed under 8 pounds and had tons of bottom end.

#819 2 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

First public gig in over a year tonight! Trying this out for the first time all together. I'll probably bring the AX8 just in case, but so far it sounds great. I've been dialing in sounds on the AXE FX 3 for months, finally swapping them over to the gig machine.
[quoted image]

Break a leg Shredso!

#820 2 years ago

Definitely don't get an aluminum neck guitar then. Ha. My shoulder starts hurting after a couple of hours of playing my Jazzmaster.

IMG_2509 (resized).jpgIMG_2509 (resized).jpg
#821 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Heavy guitars just make me feel manly.
And sore.
I got a nice guitar wall going finally! Can’t believe my babe is letting me get away with this, but you just need some quality axes lording over the Dio Couch.
Two on the wall two on the floor! And I’m done buying guitars! I mean it this time!
I did try out a Gibson 335 but not my cup of tea.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Where did you get that Ronnie James Dio Pillow?

#822 2 years ago

Been trying to get my new steel recording situation solidified. Coming along nicely.

67CA861B-63F1-41F3-A8B9-3D8FCA9E5970 (resized).jpeg67CA861B-63F1-41F3-A8B9-3D8FCA9E5970 (resized).jpeg
#823 2 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Where did you get that Ronnie James Dio Pillow?

I googled "ronnie james dio pillow."

I think maybe it was Etsy or something.

#824 2 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Been trying to get my new steel recording situation solidified. Coming along nicely.

Looks good. How do the three Etch A Sketches factor in?

#825 2 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

[quoted image]

Which MS you got there?

#826 2 years ago
Quoted from Clytor:Which MS you got there?

MS-20 Mini. Really fun little synth. Doesnt sound AS good as the original but the midi functionality is really nice. Allows you to send midi scrolls into it rather than having to get an actual sequencer.

Quoted from zombywoof:

Looks good. How do the three Etch A Sketches factor in?

Theyre actually some really really amazing pieces done by a good friend of mine from college. She does these amazingly detailed and interesting freehand etchasketches. Theyre truly remarkable (although nearly impossible to photograph)

68CEB9EE-FA40-4F58-AE24-5D66DE9F21A5 (resized).jpeg68CEB9EE-FA40-4F58-AE24-5D66DE9F21A5 (resized).jpeg8011F154-3877-4BE8-BF1B-EDC505724AE7 (resized).jpeg8011F154-3877-4BE8-BF1B-EDC505724AE7 (resized).jpegBC250599-D6E4-4D2D-A945-9FC65B21E4F6 (resized).jpegBC250599-D6E4-4D2D-A945-9FC65B21E4F6 (resized).jpeg
#827 2 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

MS-20 Mini. Really fun little synth. Doesnt sound AS good as the original but the midi functionality is really nice. Allows you to send midi scrolls into it rather than having to get an actual sequencer.

Theyre actually some really really amazing pieces done by a good friend of mine from college. She does these amazingly detailed and interesting freehand etchasketches. Theyre truly remarkable (although nearly impossible to photograph)[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Really nice! To photograph those, use a mirror at a roughly 45 degree angle

#828 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Really nice! To photograph those, use a mirror at a roughly 45 degree angle

An interesting thought. The reason it's so difficult to photograph them is because there is a bizarre reflective quality of the aluminum dust/silver/whateverthefuckitis in there that makes them hard to capture in any flat way. Not sure a mirror would fix that but I'll give it a go. I used to do a lot of gallery photography and it's had to break from the tradition of shooting one dimensional pieces at anything other than flat on.

#829 2 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

An interesting thought. The reason it's so difficult to photograph them is because there is a bizarre reflective quality of the aluminum dust/silver/whateverthefuckitis in there that makes them hard to capture in any flat way. Not sure a mirror would fix that but I'll give it a go. I used to do a lot of gallery photography and it's had to break from the tradition of shooting one dimensional pieces at anything other than flat on.

I hear ya! This is how we used to shoot film sequences where there was a lot of light coming at the camera that you didn't want get crazy blooming. Sometimes it was a scotchlite curtain, but usually mirrors work. Give it a shot anyway!

#830 2 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

I’m a hack that likes to play power chords and crank my amps loud enough to annoy my family and neighbors with tons of feedback, especially through this ‘63 Guild Starfire that my dad bought new back in the day. Nothing feels like playing in front of a dimed tube amp. I need to play more.
[quoted image]

I learned to play on that exact same guitar - 1963 Starfire 3. My dad still has it along with the original 1957 Fender Champ amp. What a combo!!

#831 2 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

[quoted image]

Thats badass.... I tried to learn pedal steel once but gave up.

Lapsteel I can handle but all the pedals annoyed me.

#832 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I googled "ronnie james dio pillow."
I think maybe it was Etsy or something.

for all of you that want pillows of your rock idols i think shutterfly or other internet photoprinters can print a photo image on a pillow or items such as a coffee mug etc . ROCK ON!

#833 2 years ago

When Fender executives bought back the company from CBS, they focused on a return to pre-CBS specs through reissues. The most well-known reissues were the ’52 Telecasters and ’57 Stratocasters, which had one-ply pickguards and maple necks. The complete Fender reissue line also included a 1962 version of the Strat, with a rosewood fretboard and three-ply pickguard, a maple-necked ’57 Precision Bass, a ’62 P-Bass with a rosewood fretboard, and a ’62 Jazz Bass. These came in tweed cases to complete the vintage look.

The American made butterscotch blonde reissue '52 Telecaster was fitted with a three-saddle bridge like the original, but came with a modern six-saddle bridge if players wanted to choose better intonation over the vintage look. The butterscotch finish was different than other blonde Telecasters and continued over the fretboard, making it better matched to the body color. Bruce Springsteen and Keith Richards both use blonde Telecasters. And Telecasters are a main guitar for country western music. I'm afraid that my poor photography does not show the true beauty of my butterscotch blonde '52 Telecaster reissue.
'52 Telecaster reissue (1994) in case (resized).jpg'52 Telecaster reissue (1994) in case (resized).jpg
'52 Telecaster reissue (1994) body (resized).jpg'52 Telecaster reissue (1994) body (resized).jpg
'52 Telecaster reissue (1994) topside (resized).jpg'52 Telecaster reissue (1994) topside (resized).jpg
'52 Telecaster reissue (1994) top (resized).jpg'52 Telecaster reissue (1994) top (resized).jpg
'52 Telecaster reissue (1994) headstock (resized).jpg'52 Telecaster reissue (1994) headstock (resized).jpg
'52 Telecaster reissue (1994) body back (resized).jpg'52 Telecaster reissue (1994) body back (resized).jpg
'52 Telecaster reissue (1994) body back (resized).jpg'52 Telecaster reissue (1994) body back (resized).jpg
'52 Telecaster reissue (1994) on case (resized).jpg'52 Telecaster reissue (1994) on case (resized).jpg

'52 Telecaster reissue (1994) back (resized).jpg'52 Telecaster reissue (1994) back (resized).jpg'52 Telecaster reissue (1994) body top view (resized).jpg'52 Telecaster reissue (1994) body top view (resized).jpg
#834 2 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

When Fender executives bought back the company from CBS, they focused on a return to pre-CBS specs through reissues. The most well-known reissues were the ’52 Telecasters and ’57 Stratocasters, which had one-ply pickguards and maple necks. The complete Fender reissue line also included a 1962 version of the Strat, with a rosewood fretboard and three-ply pickguard, a maple-necked ’57 Precision Bass, a ’62 P-Bass with a rosewood fretboard, and a ’62 Jazz Bass. These came in tweed cases to complete the vintage look.
The American made butterscotch blonde reissue '52 Telecaster was fitted with a three-saddle bridge like the original, but came with a modern six-saddle bridge if players wanted to choose better intonation over the vintage look. The butterscotch finish was different than other blonde Telecasters and continued over the fretboard, making it better matched to the body color. Bruce Springsteen and Keith Richards both use blonde Telecasters. And Telecasters are a main guitar for country western music. I'm afraid that my poor photography does not show the true beauty of my butterscotch blonde '52 Telecaster reissue.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image]

That's pretty cool...one of my first guitars was a Fernandez tele copy that looked just like that. I quickly realized that it wasn't the sound I was looking for and returned it...I think I ended up with a Kramer that weighed 15 pounds and had a locking tremolo system...that also clearly wasn't for me so that get returned also. I was probably the kind of buyer those guys couldn't stand.

A that point I bought a ratty white SG special (the REALLY shitty early 80s one with only one tone knob) and I was on the path for the sound and feel I liked.

It's kind of cool, the last guitar I got - the new Strat American Pro 2 - reminds me a lot of the FIRST guitar I ever got, a squire strat. As cheap as that thing was it definitely shared some of the sound/feel of this thing, which I guess shows they were doing a fairly good job.

#835 2 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

The 52 teles are hit or miss over the years but some are great guitars... they can be stupid heavy and dead sounding. Fender had some real "bad wood" years.

I played a feather light modded one as my main guitar for years, stripped the finish off and beat it to death over 100s of shows

One of my bands used to end every show throwing stuff around and trashing the stage...they are pretty much indestructible (I tried).

Pic of said trashing from a show at Wetlands in NYC playing with Dash Rip Rock late 90s I think.

72-421 (resized).jpg72-421 (resized).jpg
#836 2 years ago

Anybody know a good place I can find a pre-lawsuit Ibanez Destroyer, also looking for a Fernandez Sustainer not attached to a guitar

#837 2 years ago

So let’s talk 70s strats:

Are they garbage, hit or miss, or luck of
The draw?

Was looking at some at my local shop, with the three bolt necks and huge headstocks, All going for around $2k.

Seems like that may have been enticing in the old days when nobody wanted them and they were cheap as dirt but I just a brand new one for $1325 so didn’t seem as attractive.

#838 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So let’s talk '70s Strats with the three bolt necks and huge headstocks.

The large headstock originated in 1958 on the Jazzmaster and was used again on the '62 Jaguar, where it was needed to balance out the bigger bodies of those Fenders (with their offset waists) versus the Stratocaster. Some recording artists actually preferred the larger headstock, so it is up to your personal taste.

But the three-bolt neck was just a bad idea, along with CBS changing production processes which resulted in inconsistent quality.

#839 2 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

The large headstock originated in 1958 on the Jazzmaster and was used again on the '62 Jaguar, where it was needed to balance out the bigger bodies of those Fenders (with their offset waists) versus the Stratocaster. Some recording artists actually preferred the larger headstock, so it is up to your personal taste.
But the three-bolt neck was just a bad idea, along with CBS changing production processes which resulted in inconsistent quality.

You ever own a 70s strat?

#840 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I borrowed one for a while from a friend. It was a great guitar. Just couldn't actually get it to work for me physically (nor can I get any full sized Strat to work for my tiny body). BUT it was nice. Had super light half wounds on it. I dug it.

To me, any guitar is a good guitar. It's just what you like.

#841 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So let’s talk 70s strats:
Are they garbage, hit or miss, or luck of
The draw?
Was looking at some at my local shop, with the three bolt necks and huge headstocks, All going for around $2k.
Seems like that may have been enticing in the old days when nobody wanted them and they were cheap as dirt but I just a brand new one for $1325 so didn’t seem as attractive.

I'd lean towards hit or miss at that price. You might stumble upon one that is just magical, and thus makes it worth 2k to you. But the reality is that the Strat was designed to be affordable to mass produce, with easily interchangeable parts if there was a production issue or warranty claim. Heck, even SRV's #1 was found to have a neck and body from different years when they took it apart to make replicas. I've read and understood the 3 bolt Strats as them trying to cut costs even further. Find one that spent it's life under someone's bed, and it's probably fine stability wise. But get one that's gigged a lot, and you might have trouble keeping it in tune.

I haven't owned a 70's Strat myself, I've never cared for the bloated version of the iconic headstock. However, a really good friend of mine who tours and records has played the whole spectrum. (Fender, PRS, Shur, Anderson) When we first met, he was primarily an LP guy. He had two "Partscasters" that he had used for years. He finally wore out the body (trem posts) on one of them a couple of years ago, and was looking for a replacement. About that time, I visited and brought one of my Kiesel guitars. He was blown away by it, and decided to get his own. (Photo below) He says it is hands down the best Strat style guitar he's ever played. It has a roasted maple neck, and a set of "Mark's singles" pickups. This week, he ordered his second one, Tele style. For 2k, I'd go for something like that or a PRS/Suhr.

received_216605292725215.jpegreceived_216605292725215.jpeg
#842 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I owned quite a few over the years and played a ton of them at guitar shows etc. most of them suck... there are goods ones here and there though

They are and were good enough for Malmsteen, Blackmore and tons of other players of the era so they arent all that bad.

Once they changed the bridge they got very tinny sounding...

They have stayed on the low end as collectibles and thats for good reason.

I had a black 71 that was actually a great guitar but that was one of the first 3 bolts.

#843 2 years ago
Quoted from gorditas:

I haven't owned a 70's Strat myself, I've never cared for the bloated version of the iconic headstock. However, a really good friend of mine who tours and records has played the whole spectrum. (Fender, PRS, Shur, Anderson) When we first met, he was primarily an LP guy. He had two "Partscasters" that he had used for years. He finally wore out the body (trem posts) on one of them a couple of years ago, and was looking for a replacement. About that time, I visited and brought one of my Kiesel guitars. He was blown away by it, and decided to get his own. (Photo below) He says it is hands down the best Strat style guitar he's ever played. It has a roasted maple neck, and a set of "Mark's singles" pickups. This week, he ordered his second one, Tele style. For 2k, I'd go for something like that or a PRS/Suhr.[quoted image]

There are a ton of builders now who make "strats" with more modern features that are killer...

Friedman is one that comes to mind. Not cheap but they are crazy well done (Grover jackson oversees the build of them)

Nash makes a good product for the $$ also but its more vintage spec

Lots of session guys use these knocks off since you can mod them and drop them and who cares if they get stolen... go get another one.

#844 2 years ago

here is the black one.... literally one of the first 3 bolts so was mainly 1970 features.

This was about as close as you can get to the guitar Hendrix played on band of Gypsies without paying 50k for a maple neck one piece 70

This wasnt 2K though.. was a rare kinda piece I think I sold it for 5k. Miss it actually since it was great.

IMG_1602 (resized).jpgIMG_1602 (resized).jpg
#845 2 years ago

What are the best years for telecasters and what are some ideal features? I'm finding myself becoming more interested in playing country or folk sounding guitar but also still love playing rock music and it always seemed to be a go to choice for so many folks.

#846 2 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:What are the best years for telecasters and what are some ideal features? I'm finding myself becoming more interested in playing country or folk sounding guitar but also still love playing rock music and it always seemed to be a go to choice for so many folks.

Japanese C Shop Teles from the 90s are generally a bargain, for what you get re. Fit and Finish.

I have a one-off Ultra Deluxe that is a dream.

\Hum in the neck and Tele Bridge.
Loaded it up with Kinmans and it does just about everything you'd want an axe to do.

#847 2 years ago

Current setup…trying to keep it simple. Still getting rid of old gear I just will never use.

8DBA792D-776B-429C-868D-B0AAC1FD37E3 (resized).jpeg8DBA792D-776B-429C-868D-B0AAC1FD37E3 (resized).jpeg
#848 2 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Japanese C Shop Teles from the 90s are generally a bargain, for what you get re. Fit and Finish.
I have a one-off Ultra Deluxe that is a dream.
\Hum in the neck and Tele Bridge.
Loaded it up with Kinmans and it does just about everything you'd want an axe to do.

I second this. Your best bet is to try out as many Teles as possible, and figure out what neck shape, radius, and bridge you like. Different eras (or their re-issues) have different specs. Pickups, tuning machines, pick guards, etc can be changed: the rest, not so easily.

I grew up playing the cello, and have always gravitated to guitars with figured woods. I wanted a T-style guitar in that vein. This was the last Kiesel made for me. They make a Johnny Highland model if you want a more traditional instrument.

Chambered ash body
Master Grade Flame Koa Top
Flame Maple Neck
Royal Ebony Fretboard
Lollar "Novel-T" and "El Rayo" Pickups

20181205_121214.jpg20181205_121214.jpg20181205_121230.jpg20181205_121230.jpg20181205_121255.jpg20181205_121255.jpg20181205_211356.jpg20181205_211356.jpg
#849 2 years ago
Quoted from Jokerman:

Current setup…trying to keep it simple. Still getting rid of old gear I just will never use.[quoted image]

May I ask, what type of stands are you using for the two guitars in the background?
Do you like them?

#850 2 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

May I ask, what type of stands are you using for the two guitars in the background?
Do you like them?

Sure - I have spent far too much time in my life researching guitar stands.

Those in the background are Hercules GS414B Plus - perfectly adequate as a functional stand despite some criticism of the rubber eroding. I have never found that to be a problem though.

If aesthetics are important, these are the best imo. https://takeastandinc.com/SM_Design.html

For wall mounts, I use Bulldog.

There are 1,633 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 33.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-guitar-players-and-guitar-stuff-needs-more-vid/page/17 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.