New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 264920)

Pinside guitar players and guitar stuff (needs more Vid)

By xsvtoys

8 months ago

Topic Stats

• 570 posts
  • 83 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by SunnRAT
  • Topic is favorited by 27 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“Do we need another guitar thread??”

• Yes, I love guitars, let's go. 40 votes
    71%
  • No, go away and find a guitar forum to hang out at. 8 votes
    14%
  • Tacos. 8 votes
    14%

(56 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 273 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20201122_122649 (resized).jpg
teye-la-llama-a-series-wes-3 (resized).jpg
teye-la-llama-a-series-wes-2 (resized).jpg
teye-a-series-la-llama-wes (resized).jpg
54AA544D-D85C-4719-9B5D-A6294462F2CF (resized).jpeg
9A37C697-AE47-40B4-A2C7-E27534C39E72 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6884 (resized).JPG
IMG_6867 (resized).JPG
IMG_6868 (resized).JPG
image000002 (resized).jpg
image000001 (resized).jpg
image000000 (resized).jpg
IMG_6951 (resized).JPG
IMG_6948 (resized).JPG
DSCN0280 (resized).JPG
EF8750a (resized).jpg

There are 570 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 12.
#551 10 days ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

Nice, but not cool bout the flaw. Funny you mention that. I orignally ordered the Matte Black version of my guitar, but when it arrived it was not in "New" condition. I ordered from Musician Friends.
Here is a few photos exposing some of the flaws.
I cannot believe this guitar passed QC as "New". I took the liberty to ensure I love the feel of this guitar. Instant love and I had to have one, but they ran out of Matte Black. Blue was not bad of a 2nd choice.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That's DEFINITELY not cool. Should get $$$ back at least!

#552 10 days ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

I guess if you are used to having a ton of effects on everything they are easier to get along with.
I always found something I liked as a preset and then had to go backwards and remove some of the 15 things on the sound to see what was there to begin with... usually that would destroy the sound.
Any "clean" sound probably has 25 digital effects on it so whats clean?
My only practical experience is with Fractal stuff.. I would use it here and there but for stuff that was more background so it wouldnt poke out
To me their "sound" is effects piled on top of effects with more effects on top.

Did you watch the video?

#553 10 days ago

Most of my profiles come from these guys. Here is an example of clean, edge of breakup, and OD tone without tons of effects. It's true that most of the factory profiles are metal oriented, but there are plenty of cleaner ones out there of incredible amps.

#554 10 days ago

Depends on the sound to me.. they work better for hard rock and metal stuff with tons of gain or if you use lots of effects.
Basically if your tone is effect or high gain driven to begin with these are a great way to keep it like that.
In the real world people dont often use them for recording but live yes since it makes life way easier and like most things these days does anyone really care about quality anymore? Its close enough.
Its all about ease of use and convenience and not breaking down on the road. Set it and forget it...
sounds kinda meh? thats OK its easy, noone can tell anyways.

People are starting to use them more and more. Ron Thal used a Line 6 Helix on the last Sons of Apollo record and his recent solo albums. And Mark Knopfler uses Kemper live. That’s a pretty good endorsement

#555 10 days ago
Quoted from Shredso:

Did you watch the video?

Nah.. Im an audio engineer.

Doesnt really matter to me what anyone shilling product on you tube has to say.

Id have to hear it for myself in the right environment. Only thing I have experience with in that regard is Fractal.

I have heard that bearded dude play before and if he thinks it "sounds good" then I am sure i would hate it..

#556 10 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

People are starting to use them more and more. Ron Thal used a Line 6 Helix on the last Sons of Apollo record and his recent solo albums. And Mark Knopfler uses Kemper live. That’s a pretty good endorsement

Tons of people use them live because who wants to haul around amps anymore.

I think I said earlier a friend of mine does live stuff with Taylor Swift and her whole band doesnt own a single amp.

They spend weeks programming everything to sound "just like the record" and thats that.

Is that good? I dunno I guess it is for Taylor Swift fans and the road crew.

#557 10 days ago
Quoted from gorditas:

Most of my profiles come from these guys. Here is an example of clean, edge of breakup, and OD tone without tons of effects. It's true that most of the factory profiles are metal oriented, but there are plenty of cleaner ones out there of incredible amps.

It sounds fine but as I said you can hear the thing dripping with reverb... normally probably has a gate, reverb, delay, compression blah blah blah

am i going to use that instead of an actual old Fender tweed amp? nope.

If I had no choice or wanted 100 amps in a box then its fine.

Its miles better than Line 6 shit, Ill give it that. Those things are an abomination.

#558 9 days ago

check out klon copies

Hands down, without a doubt, the best Klon copy is a RYRA. The Tumnus does sound great too though.

#559 9 days ago
Quoted from Shredso:

I tried attenuators

I tried one too for the VAC 45, but I also bought the cheapest one I could find, so it puts out sound at low volume but really suffers from lack of presence. I'll eventually save up enough for something like a Fryette Power Station, but I just spent all my attenuator money on the VSC 12, so it evens out.

#560 9 days ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

I tried one too for the VAC 45, but I also bought the cheapest one I could find, so it puts out sound at low volume but really suffers from lack of presence. I'll eventually save up enough for something like a Fryette Power Station, but I just spent all my attenuator money on the VSC 12, so it evens out.

Mine was the Bad Cat Unleash, I think it was about $500. It was the one to buy when I got it. I just did a search because I couldn't remember the name and there are a zillion on the market now.

#561 9 days ago

Anyone use Orange amps? I got a solid state Crush Pro 120 and i think it's pretty decent for the price. Saves me usage on my vintage Sunn. Would like to demo some of their other amps someday.

#562 9 days ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Hands down, without a doubt, the best Klon copy is a RYRA. The Tumnus does sound great too though.

Tumnus is great, I use the thing all the time... to Wamplers credit he doesnt usually do straight up copies.

he always adds a little twist to them to give it his own thing.

I find it very useful.. with about every single amp Ive used with I can get it to do something cool even if its just make the amp go nuts and feedback

#563 9 days ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

New amp day! Got this Samamp VSC 12. Why is it so special? I'm glad you asked. It has a variable wattage from 0-12 watts. Basically, you turn the volume up as loud and crunchy as you want, then use the VSC knob to control how much actual loudness you want from the speaker with ZERO tone loss. Plus it has an effects loop, which my VAC 45 does not. It's literally the perfect bedroom amp. I love the VAC 45 but it's loud as balls (works similarly but has two separate preamps - a British side and an American side, variable from 5-45 watts). The VSC 12 allows me to have killer tone without pissing off the wife or breaking any windows.
Both are boutique amps made right here in Birmingham by Sam Timberlake. Tough to find them these days. I got the VSC 12 yesterday when it had been on the showroom floor for less than 24 hours.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
See https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-guitar-players-and-guitar-stuff-needs-more-vid/page/6#post-5643065 to learn more about the VAC 45.

That’s awesome! I met up with Sam yesterday morning and he had your amp with him. He’s going to bring the next one over and let me try it for a few days. Congrats!

#564 9 days ago
Quoted from SunnRAT:

Anyone use Orange amps? I got a solid state Crush Pro 120 and i think it's pretty decent for the price. Saves me usage on my vintage Sunn. Would like to demo some of their other amps someday.

I have this Orange Amp set up for practice. I love Orange Amps.

9A37C697-AE47-40B4-A2C7-E27534C39E72 (resized).jpeg
#565 9 days ago

Been playing with this Boss ME-80 lately. Fun little multi-effect board.

54AA544D-D85C-4719-9B5D-A6294462F2CF (resized).jpeg
#566 8 days ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

Just got this in the mail... D'Angelico Deluxe Series Limited Edition EX-SS.
I grew up playing acoustic guitars and thought this would be a nice transition before I think about getting a solid-body.
Now, gotta look into the amp situation. Kemper does look like a nice one stop modern solution.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Wow I like the look and color ! Sweet me jelly .

#567 8 days ago

Here's my Teye Guitar A-Series La Llama I recently got back after selling it 10 years ago. Its all hand engraved by master builder Teye, who was friends with Tony Zemaitis. Teye's guitars are inspired from Tony's single cut shape, with many improvements both structurally and in cosmetics.

teye-a-series-la-llama-wes (resized).jpgteye-la-llama-a-series-wes-2 (resized).jpgteye-la-llama-a-series-wes-3 (resized).jpg
#568 7 days ago
Quoted from RebelGuitars:

That’s awesome! I met up with Sam yesterday morning and he had your amp with him. He’s going to bring the next one over and let me try it for a few days. Congrats!

Be prepared to fall in love! I don't know if I can ever buy another amp after having two Samamps. The range and tone are just so incredible. They can go from scream to mellow, and the wattage variability makes them so versatile in literally any setting.

#569 7 days ago
Quoted from RebelGuitars:

Here's my Teye Guitar A-Series La Llama I recently got back after selling it 10 years ago. Its all hand engraved by master builder Teye, who was friends with Tony Zemaitis. Teye's guitars are inspired from Tony's single cut shape, with many improvements both structurally and in cosmetics.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Tres Humbuckers. Full Shred!

#570 7 days ago
Quoted from johnnyutah:

Been playing with this Boss ME-80 lately. Fun little multi-effect board.
[quoted image]

Speaking of Boss, I brought home this JB-2 yesterday and tried it out this morning. It's a combination of the classic Boss Blues Driver and JHS Angry Charlie pedals. It has the ability to use them individually, stack them or run them parallel. Got it at a nice used price, thinking I didnt really need another dirt pedal, just wanting to try it out. Well, I think it's a keeper.

20201122_122649 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 17.00
$ 5,999.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Flashinstinct
$ 53.00
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
LightAndTimeArt
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 17.00
£ 49.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
£ 50.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
$ 429.00
Playfield - Other
86Pixels
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
ELVIRA PREMIUM Out of stock
The Pinball Place
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 5.00
$ 90.00
$ 129.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
There are 570 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 12.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside