Lunch on 2's 18 (resized).jpg
Hotel (resized).jpg
Hit the fairway (resized).jpg
20230622_113724 (resized).jpg
20230622_105311 (resized).jpg
20230622_101317 (resized).jpg
20230622_082627 (resized).jpg
20230622_075513 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SNES.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#28 2 years ago

I was drinking at Top Golf and wondering if a golf group existed. Glad to see it does! Hopefully it gets a bit more active. I really enjoy the game and if anyone in Southeast Michigan wants to get together to play, that would be fun!

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Top Golf is a blast! I still need to visit the one here in Michigan, tried it for the first time in Las Vegas. Played the most golf ever in my life this year, around 100 rounds lol. My wife and I joined a local country club this year and for how much we went out the cost seemed worth it. Not sure if we will do it every year but with traveling less during the pandemic it was a lot of fun.
There's some really nice courses by you, one that may be close that I played is Boulder Pointe in Oxford. I remember a couple years back an Amazon delivery driver tried to drive through the courses tunnel under the road intended for golf carts lol.
https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2020/11/11/amazon-driver-stuck-oxford-michigan-boulder-pointe-golf-club/

My buddy is a member at Boulder and saw that Amazon guy. Too funny!

What club did you join? So many great courses in Michigan! I’ve been a member at a club up here for 5 years or so and my family loves it. I play about 100 rounds per year as well so I agree that it makes sense to join a place when you’re playing a lot!

I love Top Golf for the winters. So glad they put one in here. It’s like 2 miles from my house so that works out great to keep the swings going!

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

100 rounds a year.. I'm jealous.
I joined a league last year to make sure I could get out at least once a week for 9. It's not easy with young kids, but I'm looking forward to them being old enough to join me in a less dependent way.
I put a sim in my garage to deal with winters. Realistically, I don't get out there in Dec/Jan.

Sim is awesome! That’s great! Wish I had the space for one.

Honestly, I have found that it is easier to get out being at a club. You can fly since they usually aren't packed with tee times. I play most of my rounds of 18 in about 2 hours.

Highly recommend getting the kids into it! My daughter has been playing with me since she was 4 and loves getting out there. She’s 7 now and asks me to play all the time!

#34 2 years ago

Almost the same story. My daughter started golfing with me when she was about 3. She was good for a few holes but then mostly lost interest. It was fine though, she was mostly happy to sit in the cart and just wait/watch for the balance of the round. Then we had twins. I still got her out when things weren't too busy. This last year was tough because all the kids want to go, but it's pretty hard to find the right conditions to make that happen.. The twins are best friends and it's really difficult to keep them from getting lost in their own little (loud) world. And it's tough for me to take just my oldest without the others getting upset, especially since they know that I took the oldest when she was their age. I took them all individually this past year, but the youngest ones just aren't as mature as she was at about 4.
I was pretty baffled at how busy the executive course near me was every time I got out there. This next year I really want to get them out as much as possible, but probably still one at a time.
I also love playing fast. When I worked as an assistant Super I would throw my clubs in the back of a carryall on weekends after mowing and get 9 holes in in about 45m. I can't think of anything other than positive experiences when being paired up, but I still prefer to play alone or with buddies. Playing alone, most of the time you're going to be stuck waiting quite a bit. I get a good chunk of my golf in during the Fall, when I can walk on and pretty much have the course to myself. It's easily my favorite time of year to play, but the sweet spot is small around here.

That’s great that they all want to play! I can imagine it being much more difficult with three kids than with one.

Talking about how busy the executive course was by you, it is crazy how much golf exploded through the pandemic! We gained somewhere around 75 new members last year and we have around 600 total. Big percentage jump for one year.

I hope the increase in popularity brings more courses getting built. Although with the price of land being sky high and the price of labor even higher, it might be tough to build a course without having to charge $300 per round to pay for it.

3 weeks later
#37 2 years ago

Playing in that situation is super fun! I play in an outing every year two weeks after the Rocket Mortgage Classic at Detroit Golf Club and the stadium par three is always still mostly up. Makes the hole look and feel so different. It makes it even more fun to watch when you know the holes really well!

3 weeks later
#42 2 years ago
Quoted from Slugmeister:

Nice day for early March.
[quoted image]

Nice!! I haven’t played a local round yet. Played a couple rounds in Cancun though! I’m ready for golf season!!

6 months later
#61 1 year ago

Golf season coming toward the end here in Michigan. Such a sad time of year

#63 1 year ago

This is my favorite time of year! Only the diehards are on the course at this point, and we still have a solid month+ left. I've learned a lot about course management by playing late in the year where leaves will really penalize you for wayward shots. I like to (try to) play a little lower shot to keep things out of the blustery winds and over the tops of the fairways, and as a result end up playing some of my best golf of the year. I also get a chance to play some of the best courses in my area with reduced rates and wide open tee books.
We have a family/friends trip we take at the very end of the season - late October. My dad's old work buddy, his adult sons, my brother and I, and all of our kids. The wives deal with the kids during the day while the guys are out golfing... so they're the real heroes. We go out and golf some really cool resort courses in the Dells area, which we normally avoid like the plague during the summer months. Sometimes it's bitterly cold and miserable. We've even gotten snowed out before. Sometimes it's an incredible day with no one else on the course, and you've got a free replay. You take what you get, and you laugh about the incredibly shitty conditions you've endured for golf.
My league ended a few weeks ago with our team taking 2nd by a single point. I made a bad chip that prevented an up and down on the 18th that could have swung it the other way. There were a couple dozen other shots made by any of us that could have sent it the other way, but it still made me take a critical look at my game.
I ended up grabbing a shotscope to get a better idea of my areas of struggle. With limited data my approach shots are better than even scratch golfers (I'm a 12), but my short game and putting need work. I've since switched to a mallet putter to work better with my straight through putter motion, and have focused on taking more disciplined and higher percentage chip/pitch shots. I haven't had any blow up holes, and I don't think I've been north of 40 even after taking some penalties with the long game. I'm pretty comfortable with my full swing, so it feels like just a matter of time before I can hold it together to break through that 10hcp threshold.

I used to love fall golf for a lot of the reasons you mention. Agreed with it being pretty empty and much less expensive. My wife and I played 18 yesterday in just under 3 hours so that is definitely a benefit. But we joined a club a few years ago, so we don’t normally have a lot of slow golfers and the cart fee is the same if it is prime summer or nasty cold in the fall. Maybe that is what has changed my mind a little.

I just set up a golf simulator in my garage for the winter to work on a few things as well. I’m an 8 index and would really like to get to sub 5 next year. Good luck to you on the single digit goal!

1 month later
#74 1 year ago

That’s awesome! I’m heading out today to play my probably last round of the year. Unless we get one of those random super warm days. Or I get brave. Haha

2 months later
#78 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Any other northern based golfers can't stand the game by the end of the year and then around January or February are ready to play again? I'm feeling that way about now here in Michigan lol.

Golf simulator is the only way to make it through!! Haha

#79 1 year ago

Seriously, I’m eager to get back out onto the course. Heading to Arizona in a month to play and go to the Waste Management tournament. Hopefully the sim time translates to the course

#81 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Lol yeah. I haven't been to one. Have you tried simulator golf at an X-Golf? I keep seeing those popping up.

X Golf is solid. There is a new one I heard about in Rochester that is crazy. It has different turf to represent different lies and the floor shifts to have different angles. Crazy!

#82 1 year ago
#84 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Wow that sounds super cool! Do you putt with X-Golf?

Yeah you do. Putting is ok-ish on X Golf. Better than some and worse than others. I personally like putting on sims, but I know a lot of people don’t. What are your thoughts?

#87 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Interesting, thanks. I was wondering how putting worked. I’ll definitely have to give it a try!

Ah, gotcha. Yeah putting is kind of hard to get used to but not bad after you do. The tough part is understanding the distance. On my sim the screen is 9 feet away so if the ball rolls up and touches the screen it’s a 9ft putt (on a flat grade). But visually, the pin will show as being on or “past” the screen so that throws people off. It’s more about reading the distance and adjusting that based on the screen distance.

Most sims allow you to set a gimmie circle. Mine is set at 6ft but you can do up to 10. Some I have played on have two putt max rules too so you can tailor it to you.

#90 1 year ago

Because my lag putting is so bad, I did consider a device like the 'puttist' to see if I could hone in on some distance control. I think it would take some stepping off on the course, but you might be able to get some checkpoints in your swing depending on distance this way. The problem is the device seems really obscure and I haven't really found a distributor stateside.
https://en.puttist.com/

That seems interesting. What kind of putter do you use? We’re you fitted? I got a putter fitting a couple of years ago and it made a HUGE difference in both my lag putting and my 8-10ft make percentage. Highly recommend a fitting if you haven’t already!

#98 1 year ago

I ended up with a Scotty Phantom X 5.5. Really good to see some metrics on my stroke. Most things were in pretty good shape, but I was adding a bit of loft that might be a culprit in my lag putting problems. The fitter had it narrowed to the odyssey 11 or the scotty. I've had a couple other scottys, I like the feel and value retention.
[quoted image]

Awesome! Funny enough, I also got fitted for the 5.5 a couple years ago haha

Congrats!

#99 1 year ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Anyone every play Streamsong outside of Tampa? My buddy just pitched a Spring trip there for the boys, touting how good their 3 courses are and I've never heard of it.

A few of my buddies played it a year ago or so and they said they loved it. I think it’s hard to go wrong when you’re playing golf with buddies though!

#100 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Interesting, thanks for the info. I was wondering how putting worked on sims. I’m going to try and stop by an X-Golf this coming week to give it a try.

Good luck! If you make your way up to Lake Orion area, you’re welcome to give mine a try as well

#103 1 year ago

I got the 13ft mat, but they also have a 26ft I was considering. It looks like they've done big discounts on black Friday, so I might keep an eye out. That would send it all the way down the side of my hall and right up against the pool table legs, so it might not be great from a stance perspective depending on the objective. Still, the ability to practice some lag distances at home is really appealing.

That’s awesome! I put a Pro Putt system in my basement but I don’t use it very much honestly. How does the scoring work on that mat? Or do you just create games to get it close to the target? My problem with mine is that there isn’t much competition in it so I don’t really use it. My putting practice just comes on my sim, which as we have said is kind of hit or miss. I’ve thought about selling my putting system, but idk if I would regret it. Plus they don’t hold their value very well. I paid $1500 and I don’t think I could get over $1000 for it. That would make each putt I have made on it cost me over $1 each haha

#105 1 year ago

It has 3 "courses". I've attached the back 9 page of the intermediate course as an example. There's also a free app that has the setup and example illustrations per hole, and tracks your stats. I'm impressed, honestly. My only real critique is it would be fun to have some community developed courses available.
[quoted image]

That’s pretty cool. If I decide to move on from mine, I will check that out for sure. Maybe I need to make “zones” for mine and come up with some games to gain interest and competition.

3 months later
#112 11 months ago

The weather has been pretty hit or miss so far, but golf season is in full swing! How is everyone’s game looking? I can’t putt to save my life this year which has been very frustrating so far. Gonna need to spend some extra time on that.

2 weeks later
#114 11 months ago

My lag putting has been bad as well. I got to play 5 rounds down in MS earlier this year visiting my parents. That was mostly really rough, but I was able to stitch it together to break 40 on my last 9 of the trip (pretty much my benchmark for success lately).
Last weekend we took a trip to the Dells (touristy area with some great golf courses), and I had one of the best rounds of my life, shooting an 80, complete with a 130y holed eagle.
I've been hitting the ball pretty well over the last couple of weeks, so hopefully I can get the short game together to score pretty well this year. The big thing for me was a little press before starting my backswing, and a bit of a hesitation at the top to avoid pulling my hands/shoulders through too quick.
Lately I've been thinking I need to add a second hybrid to go with my 3h. I hit it really well, and it's pretty rare for me to hit a crisp 4i.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Not sure how I didn’t see this until now! That 130yd eagle is great! Nice looks at the courses as well.

I have finally started putting everything together a little bit. Only issue is that I start off a little slow and then get it together. I played the tips at our club last week and shot a 43 front, 37 back. Played the Men’s tees about a week ago and went 41,37. Why front nine, why!?! Haha

My index dropped like a rock over the last couple of weeks as well. I posted 3 scores and went from a 9.8 to an 8.0 index. It’s going to be hard to play to that number but we will see what happens. We have a big tournament in July so if I start playing better in time for that, the signs could point to victory! It’s a five day all inclusive tournament and is an absolute blast. My favorite week of the year every year!

1 week later
#116 11 months ago

I've hit a rough stretch since my last post. I'm about 5 weeks in on league, and I haven't won a single point yet. Last week I managed to miss my tee time while I was on the grounds (could have swore I was 5:00, and I was actually 4:30). I need to get out and practice my short game, it's been absolutely killing me. My full swing isn't in horrible shape, but my number one thing to work on this year is avoiding my right hand pushing the shaft through. It's tough to kill that without feeling like you're losing control.
I just sold my Skytrak launch monitor tonight, and I pulled the trigger on a Bushnell launch pro. It should be a pretty huge upgrade, and I'm looking forward to getting it setup. Golfer's Journal has a deal that offers 20% off Bushnell orders, so I was able to get a refurb unit for about 2300 shipped. I'm impatient, so I splurged on the $20 next day shipping to make sure it gets here before league.

Short game is where it’s at! I think you’ll love the Bushnell. I have the Foresight GC3 (pretty much the same monitor from what I have read) and I feel like working on chipping through the winter really helped correlate to the course. Even if it’s just a confidence thing.

The numbers keep dropping for me. I’m down to a 7.0 index now and I really hope the wheels don’t fall off. This is usually when I try to tweak something in my swing and I start shooting poorly again haha

10 months later
#126 23 days ago

I played 11 times this year already, 8 of which were in MI! The warm weather here has been awesome!

IMG_1348 (resized).jpegIMG_1348 (resized).jpeg
#127 23 days ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Just got back from a boys trip to Pinehurst to play the US Open course as my first time swinging this year. For some reason, they thought it's a smart business decision to let me hack up No. 2 ten weeks before the US Open. Got to play No. 1, 4, 7, 8, and the Cradle on our package as well.
No. 2 is just flat out impossible. The turtleback greens are rock hard and unforgiving. So many parked shots on the green are there one second, and then a strong gust of wind hits while walking up, and by the time you get to the green, it rolled into some impossible pot bunker with packed sand. Also, the fairways are must hits as seen by the tee and green pics below of one of the holes on the back (#13?) where off the tee you see what looks like an approachable fairway with some potential trouble on the sides, but then looking back from the green, you see the death that happens when not on the fairway.
The 2024 US Open will be less of a sporting event, and more of a comedy show. You can also see them erecting the grandstands on the 18th while I had lunch the other day.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That’s awesome! I’m heading down there in August. Hopefully it isn’t too hot! I hope we aren’t playing No 2 based on your review haha

#129 23 days ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

No way! What an epic trip, looks amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah it's time! That course looks nice, where is that at?

It’s the Old Course at Indianwood. Great links style course in Lake Orion. They have played a few tournaments there - most recently a Senior US Open in 2012.

#132 23 days ago
Quoted from Slugmeister:

Good riddance winter!
[quoted image]

Great photo! I took this in Florida about a month ago. I love wildlife on the golf course!

IMG_1231 (resized).jpegIMG_1231 (resized).jpeg
#134 23 days ago

That's awesome. My parents have been snowbirding down there for the last 10 years or so. I got down last year and played every day. I really like the area, and it's pretty affordable. Their mainstay is Sunkist, but we also played Grand Bear, The Oaks, and Windance.

I'm guessing you stayed on resort? I tried playing there when I passed through a couple years ago, but settled on Tobacco Road instead. That's a really fun course if you find yourself in that same area again.

We are playing Tobacco Road when we are down there in August. Looks pretty crazy from what I have seen.

They had motorcycle carts that we were going to rent but they said they don’t have them anymore due to an “incident.” Probably for the best as I’m sure I would have wiped out after 12 beers

Any tips/tricks to consider? Insider knowledge to beat my friends? Haha

#135 23 days ago

Also, I looked up our trip. Jam packed with golf!

Fly in Wednesday night
Thursday - Mid Pines and Pine Needles
Friday - The Cradle and Country Club of NC
Saturday - Pinehurst 1 or 3 and CCNC other course
Sunday - Tobacco Road before the airport

7 rounds in 4 days!

#138 23 days ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Sounds really nice! That is going to be a blast. My buddies and I are going on a golf trip in northern Michigan in July. Over 5 days we play just 3 rounds as a couple of the guys want break days now...(I would keep playing lol).

Those are great trips too! Where are you guys playing?

#144 22 days ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

No. 3 is supposedly the easiest, while No. 1 is the 2nd easiest (called "little Augusta" by some). I'm an average golfer and found No. 1 to be pretty darn easy. I think I shot a 90 on it playing it blind, which is what I shoot up here at home on more familiar courses.
The Cradle is very interesting. It's a 9-hole pitch and putt. Nothing longer than 120yds. A few at 60yds. Extremely challenging. I actually putted 2 off the tee mats because I saw a decent line, and it actually worked out. But the last two holes were a pain. 8th cup was on a ridge, 9th hole all 4 of our balls rolled off the green. As we walked off the 9th tee I said to my group "A man once asked his wife for sex. She said no. He then designed The Cradle".

Great info! No 3 might not be the best for our group if it is that easy. I think the worst handicap index is a 10 for our group of 8 so maybe “Little Augusta” would make more sense.

I didn’t know about the Cradle being a pitch and putt. Pretty cool! I love those courses. Good to know about the 9th green haha

Thank you for the info!

#145 16 days ago

Played yesterday in AZ. Beautiful backdrop. Didn’t play particularly well but had fun!

IMG_1525 (resized).jpegIMG_1525 (resized).jpegIMG_1526 (resized).jpegIMG_1526 (resized).jpeg
#146 14 days ago

Played another round in AZ yesterday. Gorgeous courses out here! Turns out my chipping and putting is solid, but the rest of my game sucks! I had 8 drops, only hit one fairway and two greens in regulation. Only 25 putts though. That was the only bright spot haha

IMG_3737 (resized).jpegIMG_3737 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SNES.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-golf-club?tu=SNES and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.