20230622_130256 (resized).jpg
20230621_180031 (resized).jpg
20230621_174946 (resized).jpg
20230621_174620 (resized).jpg
20230621_193521 (resized).jpg
20230621_193517 (resized).jpg
20230425_090904[1] (resized).jpg
20230424_142603[1] (resized).jpg

There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 1 year ago

I got quite a few rounds in over the last week. Thursday was my first day of league, as well as my first round of the year. I played really poorly, but good to be back.

Sun- tue, I went of a golf trip to the Dells with my dad and family friends. That area is beautiful, but also a tourist trap. Shoulder season makes a great time to check it out. Unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate.

We had stay and play vouchers at Wild Rock. It's a really challenging course with a lot of elevation changes, and plays long for me even from the middle tees (6400). Sunday was probably the worst wind conditions I'd ever played in. We seemed to be playing into the wind most holes, and I was hitting driver 5w constantly, and watching the ball just die out on well struck shots. Monday really wasn't much better, and the temp was a high of about 34. Tuesday was still cold, but the wind let up significantly.

I managed a 38 on Tuesday, which is a personal best. I didn't really even play very well, but my recovery shots and putting (including a 40 footer on the final hole!) carried me.

It was a really great time, no group I'd rather golf with.

#52 1 year ago

I’ve been contemplating/discussing going on a golf trip w a few of my closest friends. We’re your average hackers, all family guys who just can’t find time to get out. As we get older, even the g friend suggested that we do this n make new memories. I’ve only glanced at a few places here in BC, Arizona and Washington state. BC would be the easiest, as far as travel and no $ exchange, but idea of going somewhat further away is always a good idea too

#53 1 year ago

I love to play. Try to play once or twice a week. hwyhed Every year my three friends and I go on "Golfapalooza". We take turns picking general location and courses, etc. 3-4 days. Two rounds per day on those trips. It's fantastic. Your GF is right!

#54 1 year ago

I'm looking to get a little help on the swing this year. I'm on the fence over a new set of irons, too. I'm looking into golftec - anyone have any experience with them? I'm a data guy, so that looks like the most intriguing option to me so far. I'm not really looking for recurring lessons. I'm pretty familiar with swing mechanics (I worked under a pro for several years) and don't mind tinkering in my garage, but I'd like to get a couple of personal tips to get me off my plateau.

#55 1 year ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I'm looking into golftec - anyone have any experience with them?

I’m a 9 handicap. A couple of years ago I went. I felt and knew something wasn’t right with my swing but couldn’t sort it out. It was good for me to see the swing and the explanation of what was wrong. That’s all I really needed. Of course at the end of the session came the hard sell. “Ok, we’re going to work on the swing,short game, putting and we’ll do multiple rounds to work on this and that and it will only cost $4500”. And I said “I’m good right now. Thanks.” I’m also a data guy (electrical engineer) so it worked for me.

#56 1 year ago

Your best bet for lessons is to set something up with your local Pro. Most half decent courses have one on staff for lessons.

1 month later
#57 1 year ago

I grew up in MD, fortunate to play some REALLY nice courses due to being the only one that golfed in my IT dept, and now in CO. The altitude sure is nice for distance! I find CO interesting course to course due to the climate and grass choices. Believe it or not I played at a course with Bermuda in CO (Perry park CC) which humbled me.

Does anyone else have a love/hate for wanting to try a new course? I want to try different courses but not knowing a course is rough sometimes!

#58 1 year ago
Quoted from gblack:

Does anyone else have a love/hate for wanting to try a new course? I want to try different courses but not knowing a course is rough sometimes!

I can play poorly anywhere!

1 month later
#59 1 year ago

I'm in NC for an in-law trip. Not exactly thrilled about sharing a house with my in-laws for the next 6 days, but I did get a chance to golf. I was hoping for Pinehurst #2, but getting out there without 2 nights at the resort is apparently impossible. The #4 and one other had the same policy. I opted to play Tobacco Road instead.

The course is really unique, people tend to love or hate it. I loved it, thought it was in great shape, and had some really interesting looks. Driving in bunkers took a bit of getting used to. My only real complaint is the directions between holes needs a lot of improvement, we were often left guessing which way to go.

I played with a dad and his 2 boys. The younger son, 16, was a 7 hcp. His 18 year old brother struggled a little more, and his dad estimated him at a 20 (he said he'd basically given up on keep a hcp). The 16 year old was about an inch from a hole in one, and the 18 year old dunked one for an eagle on a par 5 about 100 out. Early in the round I laughed about the dad picking up the older boys ball and "helping him find it" in a more favorable position.

I started out playing really well, but the heat and humidity wore me down. I also recently added a couple quick practice swings to my routine (after years of not taking any). It's really helped my rhythm in league, but may have been a bit much in the 97 degree heat today. All that, and I recently swapped putters.

I'd recommend it if you're in the area. There's a video on YouTube of some barstool guys playing it that's pretty entertaining.

20220730_084842 (resized).jpg20220730_084842 (resized).jpg20220730_101349 (resized).jpg20220730_101349 (resized).jpgSnapchat-1126909234 (resized).jpgSnapchat-1126909234 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#61 1 year ago

Golf season coming toward the end here in Michigan. Such a sad time of year

#62 1 year ago
Quoted from SNES:

Golf season coming toward the end here in Michigan. Such a sad time of year

This is my favorite time of year! Only the diehards are on the course at this point, and we still have a solid month+ left. I've learned a lot about course management by playing late in the year where leaves will really penalize you for wayward shots. I like to (try to) play a little lower shot to keep things out of the blustery winds and over the tops of the fairways, and as a result end up playing some of my best golf of the year. I also get a chance to play some of the best courses in my area with reduced rates and wide open tee books.

We have a family/friends trip we take at the very end of the season - late October. My dad's old work buddy, his adult sons, my brother and I, and all of our kids. The wives deal with the kids during the day while the guys are out golfing... so they're the real heroes. We go out and golf some really cool resort courses in the Dells area, which we normally avoid like the plague during the summer months. Sometimes it's bitterly cold and miserable. We've even gotten snowed out before. Sometimes it's an incredible day with no one else on the course, and you've got a free replay. You take what you get, and you laugh about the incredibly shitty conditions you've endured for golf.

My league ended a few weeks ago with our team taking 2nd by a single point. I made a bad chip that prevented an up and down on the 18th that could have swung it the other way. There were a couple dozen other shots made by any of us that could have sent it the other way, but it still made me take a critical look at my game.

I ended up grabbing a shotscope to get a better idea of my areas of struggle. With limited data my approach shots are better than even scratch golfers (I'm a 12), but my short game and putting need work. I've since switched to a mallet putter to work better with my straight through putter motion, and have focused on taking more disciplined and higher percentage chip/pitch shots. I haven't had any blow up holes, and I don't think I've been north of 40 even after taking some penalties with the long game. I'm pretty comfortable with my full swing, so it feels like just a matter of time before I can hold it together to break through that 10hcp threshold.

#63 1 year ago

This is my favorite time of year! Only the diehards are on the course at this point, and we still have a solid month+ left. I've learned a lot about course management by playing late in the year where leaves will really penalize you for wayward shots. I like to (try to) play a little lower shot to keep things out of the blustery winds and over the tops of the fairways, and as a result end up playing some of my best golf of the year. I also get a chance to play some of the best courses in my area with reduced rates and wide open tee books.
We have a family/friends trip we take at the very end of the season - late October. My dad's old work buddy, his adult sons, my brother and I, and all of our kids. The wives deal with the kids during the day while the guys are out golfing... so they're the real heroes. We go out and golf some really cool resort courses in the Dells area, which we normally avoid like the plague during the summer months. Sometimes it's bitterly cold and miserable. We've even gotten snowed out before. Sometimes it's an incredible day with no one else on the course, and you've got a free replay. You take what you get, and you laugh about the incredibly shitty conditions you've endured for golf.
My league ended a few weeks ago with our team taking 2nd by a single point. I made a bad chip that prevented an up and down on the 18th that could have swung it the other way. There were a couple dozen other shots made by any of us that could have sent it the other way, but it still made me take a critical look at my game.
I ended up grabbing a shotscope to get a better idea of my areas of struggle. With limited data my approach shots are better than even scratch golfers (I'm a 12), but my short game and putting need work. I've since switched to a mallet putter to work better with my straight through putter motion, and have focused on taking more disciplined and higher percentage chip/pitch shots. I haven't had any blow up holes, and I don't think I've been north of 40 even after taking some penalties with the long game. I'm pretty comfortable with my full swing, so it feels like just a matter of time before I can hold it together to break through that 10hcp threshold.

I used to love fall golf for a lot of the reasons you mention. Agreed with it being pretty empty and much less expensive. My wife and I played 18 yesterday in just under 3 hours so that is definitely a benefit. But we joined a club a few years ago, so we don’t normally have a lot of slow golfers and the cart fee is the same if it is prime summer or nasty cold in the fall. Maybe that is what has changed my mind a little.

I just set up a golf simulator in my garage for the winter to work on a few things as well. I’m an 8 index and would really like to get to sub 5 next year. Good luck to you on the single digit goal!

#64 1 year ago

This is crazy what are the odds ? Two weeks ago I found a brand new laser in the golf cart I grabbed for my round. I knew whoever lost it would be sick when they realized they lost it. I turned it in to the Pro shop and the Pro said that the owner picked it up a few days later.
Today I'm playing the same course and I pushed my drive into the right rough. As I was looking for my ball,I found the same brand of laser , as I found two weeks ago.
I put it into my golf bag and headed down the fairway to my next shot. Then I see a young guy walking towards me,and he asked me if I found a laser. I said yes and then I gave it back to him,and I said I found the same brand of laser two weeks ago.
It turns out he was the same guy who lost this laser two weeks ago !
I told him if he loses it one more time and I find it,I'm keeping it.

#65 1 year ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

This is crazy what are the odds ? Two weeks ago I found a brand new laser in the golf cart I grabbed for my round. I knew whoever lost it would be sick when they realized they lost it. I turned it in to the Pro shop and the Pro said that the owner picked it up a few days later.
Today I'm playing the same course and I pushed my drive into the right rough. As I was looking for my ball,I found the same brand of laser , as I found two weeks ago.
I put it into my golf bag and headed down the fairway to my next shot. Then I see a young guy walking towards me,and he asked me if I found a laser. I said yes and then I gave it back to him,and I said I found the same brand of laser two weeks ago.
It turns out he was the same guy who lost this laser two weeks ago !
I told him if he loses it one more time and I find it,I'm keeping it.

That's wild! I left a sand wedge next to a green at a course I worked at. I went back just 20m or so later and it was gone. Someone walked away with it, never turned in. It was a Cobra Phil Rodgers I had been playing forever, and I was pretty pissed to lose it. Luckily that's all I've lost. I'm pretty good about putting clubs in my path and on the green to avoid losing them. Thanks for turning it in, but sounds like the kid really needs to learn to take care of his shit.

I shot a 38 in post-league play tonight. A really clean round, 8 pars... and one double. Actually, my lag putting sucked, but I've been really solid inside 10 feet, so that helped me. We're scheduled again for next Thursday, and I think I have a solid month left of golf, but it sucks to know it's getting close to over up here.

#66 1 year ago

There is a Top Golf between Expo and Pinball Life.

#67 1 year ago

That's wild! I left a sand wedge next to a green at a course I worked at. I went back just 20m or so later and it was gone. Someone walked away with it, never turned in. It was a Cobra Phil Rodgers I had been playing forever, and I was pretty pissed to lose it. Luckily that's all I've lost. I'm pretty good about putting clubs in my path and on the green to avoid losing them. Thanks for turning it in, but sounds like the kid really needs to learn to take care of his shit.
I shot a 38 in post-league play tonight. A really clean round, 8 pars... and one double. Actually, my lag putting sucked, but I've been really solid inside 10 feet, so that helped me. We're scheduled again for next Thursday, and I think I have a solid month left of golf, but it sucks to know it's getting close to over up here.

Yeah,he said he's already lost two lasers. It's a shame, because he'll probably lose this one again.

#68 1 year ago

I love stats, and the shotscope has not disappointed so far. I had some issues immediately with connection to bluetooth, thinking that I would need to keep it connected through the entirety of the round. It turns out it just needs it for sync of the rounds to your account, so a connection during the round isn't necessary.

I think this will really help on my quest to reach single digits. I can compare myself to a 5 or 10 hcp and see where I really need to improve. Here's a look with a limited data set.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Each of those sections can be explored more, like here's a look at my approach overview info

You can flip that section over to the strokes gained again to see how that compares to a handicap set (in this case a 10hcp)

I'm a little disappointed in the putting section, in that it doesn't provide much data around lag putting, but focuses more on putts made by distance. I don't expect to make many 15+ footers, and I don't necessarily care much about my make percentage from those distances. I do however care about leave distance from those longer putts. My distance control is probably my single biggest weakness. I'd like to learn more about it. I think I'll just shoot a message to the devs on that point, as I'm sure they have the data and could implement.

It's pretty easy to use the round editor to update info, even adding shots where you forgot to tag, or making adjustments to where those shots ended up. You can also tag a shot as 'positional' to take it out of your club average data (so punches and chips don't get factored in).

All-in-all this is one of the coolest golf related purchases I've made, and a pretty reasonable one at $150 without any recurring subscription fees.

#69 1 year ago

I had to wait until I was 18 to get my first handicap, which was a 2 in 1978. Most of my buddies turned pro. Most taught, and a few made the tour. We all learned how to shoot par at a young age by having incredible short games. Most every player would get better by changing their practice routines to spend way more time practicing from 80 yards in, all types of shots to putting.

Golf is funny because you can shoot par with 36 putts and its almost frustrating. But I have also shot 69 hitting one green. (Made 10 foot eagle, and a 12 footer putting just off the green). Never had a par putt over 2 foot. Just had a great short game and won a 1 day Jr college tournament.

I followed a friend on tour in the 90s when he played kinda bad for him and shot 67. He laughed and said, "up and down". He told me from 100 yards in he was no. 1 on tour this one year at around 70% of the time. Insane. He finished top 5 tour that year.

I've been a lifetime low handicap because I know I won't always hit the ball right or putt well, but if I can hit my wedge, pitch or chip shots close, I will be OK. Most players with really good short games are way more capable of playing to their handicaps when they travel. If a player wants to get better and become way more consistent with your scores, find a short game practice area and hang out there.

#70 1 year ago

lets see your carts guys! my 2019 onward and my 2010 basket case project. both of these have Navitas AC conversions and echo battery 72v conversions.

alpha1 (resized).jpgalpha1 (resized).jpgalpha2 (resized).jpgalpha2 (resized).jpgonward (resized).jpgonward (resized).jpgwreck precedent (resized).jpgwreck precedent (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#72 1 year ago

Last breath of the season up here. Family and some family friends hit the normally crowded dells tourist area to play some really nice courses at discounted rates. We run for 5 days, squeezing in 27 on some. We hit the jackpot with up to 70 degrees days.

20221024_104909 (resized).jpg20221024_104909 (resized).jpg20221024_142111 (resized).jpg20221024_142111 (resized).jpg20221024_152320 (resized).jpg20221024_152320 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20221022-151707_Snapchat (resized).jpgScreenshot_20221022-151707_Snapchat (resized).jpg
#73 1 year ago

Those couple of leafy picks were from our 3rd 9 today, on a course that was technically closed, but they let us out for free with the warning of leaves. Really not all that bad if you kept it in play!

#74 1 year ago

That’s awesome! I’m heading out today to play my probably last round of the year. Unless we get one of those random super warm days. Or I get brave. Haha

#75 1 year ago

Last breath of the season up here. Family and some family friends hit the normally crowded dells tourist area to play some really nice courses at discounted rates. We run for 5 days, squeezing in 27 on some. We hit the jackpot with up to 70 degrees days.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice! Looks great. Fall golf in the midwest can be pretty amazing when the weather cooperates like it has these fast few days.

#76 1 year ago

For our last round we revisited Wild Rock. Only downsides was some milder weather (high 40s and overcast) and caet path only due to some overnight rain

Four of us guys do it again in spring without the families to keep things simple... just 6 months away!

20221025_093917 (resized).jpg20221025_093917 (resized).jpg20221025_105158 (resized).jpg20221025_105158 (resized).jpg20221025_110550 (resized).jpg20221025_110550 (resized).jpg20221025_120621 (resized).jpg20221025_120621 (resized).jpg
2 months later
#77 1 year ago

Any other northern based golfers can't stand the game by the end of the year and then around January or February are ready to play again? I'm feeling that way about now here in Michigan lol.

#78 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Any other northern based golfers can't stand the game by the end of the year and then around January or February are ready to play again? I'm feeling that way about now here in Michigan lol.

Golf simulator is the only way to make it through!! Haha

#79 1 year ago

Seriously, I’m eager to get back out onto the course. Heading to Arizona in a month to play and go to the Waste Management tournament. Hopefully the sim time translates to the course

#80 1 year ago
Quoted from SNES:

Golf simulator is the only way to make it through!! Haha

Lol yeah. I haven't been to one. Have you tried simulator golf at an X-Golf? I keep seeing those popping up.

#81 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Lol yeah. I haven't been to one. Have you tried simulator golf at an X-Golf? I keep seeing those popping up.

X Golf is solid. There is a new one I heard about in Rochester that is crazy. It has different turf to represent different lies and the floor shifts to have different angles. Crazy!

#82 1 year ago
#83 1 year ago
Quoted from SNES:

X Golf is solid. There is a new one I heard about in Rochester that is crazy. It has different turf to represent different lies and the floor shifts to have different angles. Crazy!

Wow that sounds super cool! Do you putt with X-Golf?

#84 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Wow that sounds super cool! Do you putt with X-Golf?

Yeah you do. Putting is ok-ish on X Golf. Better than some and worse than others. I personally like putting on sims, but I know a lot of people don’t. What are your thoughts?

#85 1 year ago

I've got a skytrak setup in my garage and it's helped me a lot. Getting good data on my distances has been at least as valuable as grooving a swing.

#86 1 year ago
Quoted from SNES:

Yeah you do. Putting is ok-ish on X Golf. Better than some and worse than others. I personally like putting on sims, but I know a lot of people don’t. What are your thoughts?

Interesting, thanks. I was wondering how putting worked. I’ll definitely have to give it a try!

#87 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Interesting, thanks. I was wondering how putting worked. I’ll definitely have to give it a try!

Ah, gotcha. Yeah putting is kind of hard to get used to but not bad after you do. The tough part is understanding the distance. On my sim the screen is 9 feet away so if the ball rolls up and touches the screen it’s a 9ft putt (on a flat grade). But visually, the pin will show as being on or “past” the screen so that throws people off. It’s more about reading the distance and adjusting that based on the screen distance.

Most sims allow you to set a gimmie circle. Mine is set at 6ft but you can do up to 10. Some I have played on have two putt max rules too so you can tailor it to you.

#88 1 year ago

I do the same, the gimme circle allows for your close shots to be rewarded, and still gives you a chance to knock in a putt from range. That recipe has done a good job of mimicking my real life scores. Putting just isn't that much fun, at least in my setup. I have a green (mostly) level between my hitting mat and the screen, so it's not the worst, but lag putting is still the biggest weakness in my game.

#89 1 year ago

Because my lag putting is so bad, I did consider a device like the 'puttist' to see if I could hone in on some distance control. I think it would take some stepping off on the course, but you might be able to get some checkpoints in your swing depending on distance this way. The problem is the device seems really obscure and I haven't really found a distributor stateside.

https://en.puttist.com/

#90 1 year ago

Because my lag putting is so bad, I did consider a device like the 'puttist' to see if I could hone in on some distance control. I think it would take some stepping off on the course, but you might be able to get some checkpoints in your swing depending on distance this way. The problem is the device seems really obscure and I haven't really found a distributor stateside.
https://en.puttist.com/

That seems interesting. What kind of putter do you use? We’re you fitted? I got a putter fitting a couple of years ago and it made a HUGE difference in both my lag putting and my 8-10ft make percentage. Highly recommend a fitting if you haven’t already!

#91 1 year ago

Anyone every play Streamsong outside of Tampa? My buddy just pitched a Spring trip there for the boys, touting how good their 3 courses are and I've never heard of it.

#92 1 year ago
Quoted from SNES:

That seems interesting. What kind of putter do you use? We’re you fitted? I got a putter fitting a couple of years ago and it made a HUGE difference in both my lag putting and my 8-10ft make percentage. Highly recommend a fitting if you haven’t already!

I have a couple of scottys I've switched between over the years. I used a Studio Stainless blade putter forever. I switched to my original Futura putter (that I got for $35... a steal!!) and used that most of last year. I'm really confident short range with the Futura, but I still struggle with lags.

I actually planned to do a putter fitting. I might finally pull the trigger on doing that. I have a couple of days off here in the next two weeks, I think I'll check to see what I might be able to schedule!

#93 1 year ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Anyone every play Streamsong outside of Tampa? My buddy just pitched a Spring trip there for the boys, touting how good their 3 courses are and I've never heard of it.

I've also never heard of it, but that sounds pretty great!

#94 1 year ago
Quoted from SNES:

Ah, gotcha. Yeah putting is kind of hard to get used to but not bad after you do. The tough part is understanding the distance. On my sim the screen is 9 feet away so if the ball rolls up and touches the screen it’s a 9ft putt (on a flat grade). But visually, the pin will show as being on or “past” the screen so that throws people off. It’s more about reading the distance and adjusting that based on the screen distance.
Most sims allow you to set a gimmie circle. Mine is set at 6ft but you can do up to 10. Some I have played on have two putt max rules too so you can tailor it to you.

Interesting, thanks for the info. I was wondering how putting worked on sims. I’m going to try and stop by an X-Golf this coming week to give it a try.

#95 1 year ago

Putter fitting scheduled for Monday!

#96 1 year ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

I haven’t but just looked it up, wow looks really nice!

#97 1 year ago

Putter fitting scheduled for Monday!

I ended up with a Scotty Phantom X 5.5. Really good to see some metrics on my stroke. Most things were in pretty good shape, but I was adding a bit of loft that might be a culprit in my lag putting problems. The fitter had it narrowed to the odyssey 11 or the scotty. I've had a couple other scottys, I like the feel and value retention.

20230109_170853 (resized).jpg20230109_170853 (resized).jpg
#98 1 year ago

I ended up with a Scotty Phantom X 5.5. Really good to see some metrics on my stroke. Most things were in pretty good shape, but I was adding a bit of loft that might be a culprit in my lag putting problems. The fitter had it narrowed to the odyssey 11 or the scotty. I've had a couple other scottys, I like the feel and value retention.
[quoted image]

Awesome! Funny enough, I also got fitted for the 5.5 a couple years ago haha

Congrats!

#99 1 year ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

A few of my buddies played it a year ago or so and they said they loved it. I think it’s hard to go wrong when you’re playing golf with buddies though!

#100 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Interesting, thanks for the info. I was wondering how putting worked on sims. I’m going to try and stop by an X-Golf this coming week to give it a try.

Good luck! If you make your way up to Lake Orion area, you’re welcome to give mine a try as well

There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-golf-club/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.