(Topic ID: 251682)

Pinside friends...I need your help (Tolagon is officially released!)

By bigdaddy07

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic poll

“Which cover?”

• Simple logo cover 11 votes
    11%
  • Scene cover 89 votes
    89%

(100 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Tolagon Age of the Marcks 8 (resized).jpg
Tolagon2 (resized).jpg
Tolagon Age of the Marcks (resized).jpg
There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

To make a long story short, I wrote a book series (actually the series is not complete), and I need help deciding on a cover for the 1st book. I can't decide..help!

One is simple and refined and the other is setting a scene.

Update - Tolagon - Age of the Marcks, is now officially released!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZN7JV4R/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_rnVVDbV9S0MKP
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/tolagon-gregory-benson/1134550610?ean=9781734019605

Tolagon Age of the Marcks (resized).jpgTolagon Age of the Marcks (resized).jpgTolagon2 (resized).jpgTolagon2 (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

I like the 2nd one.

#3 4 years ago

I feel the top one is more engaging for me. I guess that's the scene?

Good luck!

#4 4 years ago

I agree with RonSS, I can connect with the first one. I pick the top one.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

I feel the top one is more engaging for me. I guess that's the scene?

Yes. The top is the scene and the bottom is the simple logo cover.

#6 4 years ago

First off congratulations on the book(s)! Regarding the artwork I would be more likely to consider reading it by the first artwork. The gut reaction I had to the second one was that it looked like something I’d expect to see from scientology. (Not trying to be bitchy, just my initial reaction) Hope it helps. Good luck!

#7 4 years ago

Top one - I want to read!

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from cruzinpin:

First off congratulations on the book(s)! Regarding the artwork I would be more likely to consider reading it by the first artwork. The gut reaction I had to the second one was that it looked like something I’d expect to see from scientology. (Not trying to be bitchy, just my initial reaction) Hope it helps. Good luck!

Wow! Interesting perspective. That really puts a black mark on the second cover.

#9 4 years ago

When can we expect a Pinball machine based on the book series?

#10 4 years ago

I like the scene on the first way better!

I like the text on the bottom one better.

Can you combine them?

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

When can we expect a Pinball machine based on the book series?

That would be super cool!

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Wow! Interesting perspective. That really puts a black mark on the second cover.

Sorry if it was too blunt. Artwork is so subjective. I’ve done customer research in the past and understanding what kind of feeling people get from the artwork is often more important than what someone likes. I may be the only one that gets this sense. But the lack of people and all the planet looking orbs just made me feel like I could see it next to dianetics next to the checkout counter. (I think this dates me since now that I think about it I haven’t seen those books in the grocery store in ages.)

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I like the scene on the first way better!

I like the text on the bottom one better.

Can you combine them?

I agree with you on the text. I'm going to see if I can make that happen.

#14 4 years ago

Top one

#15 4 years ago

#16 4 years ago

My 9 yr old says top one too...he says put the other one on the back

#17 4 years ago

The first one

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from cruzinpin:

Sorry if it was too blunt. Artwork is so subjective. I’ve done customer research in the past and understanding what kind of feeling people get from the artwork is often more important than what someone likes. I may be the only one that gets this sense. But the lack of people and all the planet looking orbs just made me feel like I could see it next to dianetics next to the checkout counter. (I think this dates me since now that I think about it I haven’t seen those books in the grocery store in ages.)

I know exactly what you're referring to. I can't unsee that now, but I'm glad you brought it up.

#19 4 years ago

Interesting topic - my wife has written 4-5 books and published them on Amazon. Interesting journey, and had to learn everything from scratch. She even traded e-mails with the author of "The Martian" at one point.

She ended up, at least on some of her books, buying the artwork online at a reasonable price, then added her own touches.

What about the back cover and binding?

Somewhat off topic, but how are you going to market them?

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Interesting topic - my wife has written 4-5 books and published them on Amazon. Interesting journey, and had to learn everything from scratch. She even ended up trading e-mails with the author of "The Martian" at one point.

She ended up, at least on some of her books, buying the artwork online at a reasonable, then added her own touches.

What about the back cover and binding?

Somewhat off topic, but how are you going to market them?

I know all about that journey. I started framing the story out in 2010. I had the first draft for books one and two finished over three years ago. I've been just editing and refining them for the last three years. Keep in mind the learning curve was steep and that I had times of fatigue, where I would put the manscripts away for two to three months at a time.

The back and spine will be wrap-around with a continuation of the front cover.

As far as marketing, that's the real trick now. My wife has taken point on this with social media and grassroots (hitting up local shops to carry it). I would be interested in what marketing strategies worked for your wife and what didn't work. This is the new mountain I have to climb.

#21 4 years ago

I prefer the top one, looks more engaging.

#22 4 years ago

First one is way better. I don't like the font on the large wording though, doesn't look right. I wouldn't make the "O" into that symbol either... just an opinion.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I know all about that journey. I started framing the story out in 2010. I had the first draft for books one and two finished over three years ago. I've been just editing and refining them for the last three years. Keep in mind the learning curve was steep and that I had times of fatigue, where I would put the manscripts away for two to three months at a time.
The back and spine will be wrap-around with a continuation of the front cover.
As far as marking, that's the real trick now. My wife has taken point on this with social media and grassroots (hitting up local shops to carry it). I would be interested in what marketing strategies worked for your wife and what didn't work. This is the new mountain I have to climb.

Ugh: editing/proofing, giving proofs to friends to read...seemed to go on FOREVER. Like the movie "Groundhog day". She's a perfectionist and excellent writer and I don't think she's ever completely satisfied. I would proof, but it was more from a technical aspect (i.e would the police do this instead of that, timelines OK, what would I have done, does this make sense, etc.). I'm an engineer, so obviously I would look at things differently than her.

Oddly enough, and to her frustration, I've never read her finished books from beginning to end. Read the same chapters countless times, first chapters, middle ones, last ones, other ones...all out of sequence too. I feel like I already read them a dozen times since I know what's going to happen. I think she's still somewhat pissed at me to this day. LOL

She's joined a few writing groups, and I think she has managed to sell more books and has higher ratings than the people with a publicist. Lot's of aspects involved - the story's got to be good, artwork has got to be intriguing, and finally marketing is the biggie. You might have the best book ever, but if no one reads it...serious bummer. No doubt breaks are need to reset the brain.

PM me your private e-mail and I will pass it on to her.

Good luck!

#24 4 years ago

I should add I think most of her income was from Kindle reads, not paperback.

#25 4 years ago

First one....Bingo!

#26 4 years ago

Top one, definately. Since it is the first of a series, we don’t yet know what the symbol on the second one is, so the cover, in my minds eye, doesn’t translate. The scene does. Once you get it printing post up places to buy, my family is always looking for new books and authors.

#27 4 years ago

Top one is better, but the image itself seems top heavy. I'd move the title down so it isn't right under the silhouettes feet.

#28 4 years ago

First one looks like the cover to a novel. Second one looks like the cover to a book about parapsychology or the occult or the Bermuda Triangle. Go with the first one, but like others have said, move that title to the bottom.

#29 4 years ago

Top one for sure!

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Ugh: editing/proofing, giving proofs to friends to read...seemed to go on FOREVER. Like the movie "Groundhog day". She's a perfectionist and excellent writer and I don't think she's ever completely satisfied. I would proof, but it was more from a technical aspect (i.e would the police do this instead of that, timelines OK, what would I have done, does this make sense, etc.). I'm an engineer, so obviously I would look at things differently than her.

Oddly enough, and to her frustration, I've never read her finished books from beginning to end. Read the same chapters countless times, first chapters, middle ones, last ones, other ones...all out of sequence too. I feel like I already them a dozen times since I know what's going to happen. I think she's still somewhat pissed at me to this day. LOL

She's joined a few writing groups, and I think she has managed to sell more books and has higher ratings than the people with a publicist. Lot's of aspects involved - the story's got to be good, artwork has got to be intriguing, and finally marketing is the biggie. You might have the best book ever, but if no one reads it...serious bummer. No doubt breaks are need to reset the brain.

PM me your private e-mail and I will pass it on to her.

Good luck!

My wife and I went through mine line by line and I swear we argued over each one. It's certainly a test of a good relationship. I hired two editors. The first one went over it years ago and made a lot of great changes, but the book was too far off at that time (no it was a mess). I had to go back into it for a few years with beta readers and more refining, before final editing and proofing. I cut a lot of it away. That was hard. As time went on, I would learn more and then get frustrated with what I had, now that my eyes were a little more open. Then start the process all over again, at times just wanting to say F-it, why am I doing this? I have a new respect for anyone that has done this.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

Top one is better, but the image itself seems top heavy. I'd move the title down so it isn't right under the silhouettes feet.

Quoted from jibmums:

First one looks like the cover to a novel. Second one looks like the cover to a book about parapsychology or the occult or the Bermuda Triangle. Go with the first one, but like others have said, move that title to the bottom.

Thanks for those suggestions. This isn't the final version, so I'll experiment around with some of these ideas.

#32 4 years ago

I prefer the top one with the scene congrats on the book.

#33 4 years ago

Let me know if you want me to take a look. It's what I do...books, magazines, films, screenplays.

#34 4 years ago

The first one as the chick on the left looks hot. Shallow I know but that's how I roll ..

#35 4 years ago

another vote for the top one

#36 4 years ago

Like previously mentioned, the top one with the text from the second.

But world/moon seems like it’s both in the foreground and background in relation to the tree?

#37 4 years ago

All these tops and no bottoms

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

As far as marketing, that's the real trick now. My wife has taken point on this with social media and grassroots (hitting up local shops to carry it). I would be interested in what marketing strategies worked for your wife and what didn't work. This is the new mountain I have to climb.

I like the top one too. When it comes to marketing, most of the new fiction I seem to read comes from Amazon suggestions based on what I have read before and also their own product placement I am sure. I keep a few books downloaded on Kindle/Phone to read when I travel. Haven't bought an actual paperback in years.

#39 4 years ago

As others have said, top one. Congrats on your books!

#40 4 years ago

Top one for sure.

#41 4 years ago

Book looks to be a science fiction or fantasy. Top cover intrigues me while the bottom one would get tossed in the bin for being boring. TOLAGON - that’s a term you don’t hear every day. No idea what it means but wonder if it should be replaced with something more meaningful to the user. NOLOGON or TOLOGON sound promising, if germane to the plot.

#42 4 years ago

Top ones illustration with the title of the book from the bottom one.

#43 4 years ago

Top for sure!

#44 4 years ago

Top one for sure. Congrats on your book series!

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Let me know if you want me to take a look. It's what I do...books, magazines, films, screenplays.

OP, I would take Ted up on his offer. He might be a great resource for you.

#46 4 years ago

Top one, no doubt. The image conveys to the shopper that it is a work of science fiction, has the perfect "three" characters, a strong brawny male, the smart athletic man, a sexy female, and a strange land. There is a lot there that can connect with a reader who is "cover shopping", especially for adolescent boys that are historically big sci-fi audience. I think the cover is important for a book like this because the title is a name I do not recognize, therefore I do not naturally connect with it. The cover invites the shopper to project a lot of positives onto the book, and that is a good thing.

My only suggestions on the first cover is that the name Tologan was not 100% obvious to me. It could have been T. Logon because the O symbol was ambiguous. Or it could have been To Logon.

Also, the imagery of crystals at the bottom also remind me of mineral harvesting in StarCraft, and I have an intuitive thought that this might be a book based off of a video game. For me that is a negative response, but that is just my emotional response.

Congrats on the book!

#47 4 years ago

Without knowing you or what your book is about:

The top book cover strikes me as sci-fantasy. Looks like a non-human on the far right so elements of aliens working with humans for a greater cause seems likely. I would assume the three on the cover are the heroes or focus of the story and them walking towards the light strikes me as optimistic, assuming they are going towards a brighter tomorrow as opposed to the light when you die, lol. No idea what Tolagon or Marcks are but I would think that perhaps Marcks are the different colored crystals at the bottom of the first cover and are the mcguffin for the story. One initial thought that popped into my head when I looked at the cover was that it may be a foreign language book as my mind focused on the strange words that were familiar English words. The book title I couldn't figure out, was it T Lagon, T-Lagon, Tolagon? If the ring part of the letter matched the font of the other letters it may have been clearer to me at a glance.

The second book cover doesn't strike me in any real fashion. Looks kind of self help but if I saw it in the fantasy section I would assume it was hard sci-fi. The image doesn't make much sense, seems like five planets encased in an ancient ring in a wormhole? Maybe something like Terry Pratchetts Discworld level of absurdity? Those two planets on the right are too close to be accurate, perhaps this is the face of a ring worn by Marcks? Not sure.

#48 4 years ago

I like the first one. Creates an interesting and intriguing scene.

The second one reminds me of something they showed us in Sex Ed.

#49 4 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback! You guys have made a difficult choice easy. Honestly, before asking for outside thoughts on this, I was leaning slightly towards the bottom cover due to its simplicity. My wife created the original draft of the logo you see there, so it was really cool seeing that displayed so prominently. However, it was also her idea for the top cover as well.

I'm certainly going to take in some of the suggestions here and work to make the top cover the best it can be. I know from looking for books to read on my own, that the cover is a very critical first impression of a book, and then the description is a close second. Both have to hit the mark or no one will look at it.

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from Matesamo:

The top book cover strikes me as sci-fantasy. Looks like a non-human on the far right so elements of aliens working with humans for a greater cause seems likely. I would assume the three on the cover are the heroes or focus of the story and them walking towards the light strikes me as optimistic, assuming they are going towards a brighter tomorrow as opposed to the light when you die, lol. No idea what Tolagon or Marcks are but I would think that perhaps Marcks are the different colored crystals at the bottom of the first cover and are the mcguffin for the story. One initial thought that popped into my head when I looked at the cover was that it may be a foreign language book as my mind focused on the strange words that were familiar English words. The book title I couldn't figure out, was it T Lagon, T-Lagon, Tolagon? If the ring part of the letter matched the font of the other letters it may have been clearer to me at a glance.

You're very close, except for the crystals. Those are wrong on the cover and need to be reworked. They should be hanging from an underground inverted forest and much smaller in scale. sci-fantasy is the best way to describe it.

There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-friendsi-need-your-help?hl=parzival and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.