(Topic ID: 251682)

Pinside friends...I need your help (Tolagon is officially released!)

By bigdaddy07

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic poll

“Which cover?”

• Simple logo cover 11 votes
    11%
  • Scene cover 89 votes
    89%

(100 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Tolagon Age of the Marcks 8 (resized).jpg
Tolagon2 (resized).jpg
Tolagon Age of the Marcks (resized).jpg
There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 4 years ago

The top one. It recalls the cover of “Splinter in the Mind’s Eye”, which was really cool and mysterious.

#52 4 years ago

While I still have everyone's attention, what do you think of my description? This is what would go on the back cover. I found this to be the most difficult part to write. I'm not too proud to take any thoughts or suggestions.

Since his earliest memories, the blue orb has dwelled within Crix Emberook. He was instructed to never call upon its enigmatic power in fear that everything would be lost. It was a close friend that must be ignored. He was always able to endure this struggle until a mysterious, black ship blinked into the skyline and crashed nearby.
His quest to investigate this ship thrusts him into a world ruled by an oppressive mechanical force, and they have been searching for the blue orb for decades.
Who truly controls this relentless force? Who is Kerriah, the beautiful woman that has him so captivated? The timing of her arrival and her unique gifts has him questioning everything about her. Now he must assemble the puzzle of the past.
He discovers that a tyrannical force overshadows the entire Oro system. Crix will need to harness the power of the orb, he must become a Tolagon. He finds that nothing is as it seems and the costs are more than he could have imagined . . .

#53 4 years ago

Also the first one is kind of a brain tease. Makes you think “to lagoon”
Especially with 3 people who may be walking to a lagoon.

Kind of like those coffee cups that say
“I have a dig bick”

I wouldn’t woory too much though as most people aren’t at my intellect level.

#54 4 years ago

I agree the first cover is far more mysterious and engaging. The logo hidden in the title could be a good tease though, if it were a little more subtly hidden.

As to the blurb, it could be a little more concise and active. I personally thought the last paragraph gave too much away while drifting into cliché (nothing as it seems / cost far greater than imagined... where have I heard those stakes before? Every sci-fi ever). The reader should be left to discover surprises on their own. Please note I'm not an expert much less a fiction writer, but something like this seemed to come to mind for editing:

"From his earliest memory, the blue orb has dwelled within Crix Emberook, even as he was instructed to never call upon its enigmatic power lest everything be lost. Despite feeling he was ignoring a close friend, Crix endured the struggle. Until a mysterious black ship blinked into the skyline and crashed.

Investigating the wreckage thrust him into a world ruled by an oppressive mechanical force which had been searching for the blue orb for decades.

Who controls this relentless force? Who is the beautifully captivating woman bearing unique gifts? The timing of her arrival begs questions about everything, and Crix must assemble the puzzle of the past...."

Offered as a friendly interpretation. I like the concept and the bones of what you provided there, should be a good story Congrats!

#56 4 years ago

I thought about the blurbs on the back of the fantasy stories by Robert Apsrin when I came up with this:

"The blue orb has dwelled inside him for as long as he could remember but Crix Emberook somehow knew that to call upon its power would lead to disaster. When a mysterious black spaceship crash lands nearby, he unexpectedly finds himself caught in an intergalactic conflict between a tyrannical mechanical force and the solar system it is crushing beneath its heels. Now, with a mysterious woman and mechanical alien by his side, Crix sets out to discover the true power of the blue orb and find out why everyone in the galaxy seems to be looking for the orb. And him."

Or something like that. Try to avoid too many proper names of people and systems, the lead characters name is tough enough, imho. I did take some liberties with the blurb not knowing the story but I think referencing the three people shown on the front cover is smart, the image was enough to get someone to pick up the book and flip it over, should at least include the third person. Anyways, those are my "off the top of my head" suggestions. When you get closer to publishing, send me a press release and I will post it on my comic focused web site.

#57 4 years ago

Thanks for the ideas. I've never been truly pleased with the blurb and it's been rewrote quite a bit. As I said, it's the most difficult thing I've had to write. Coming up with a clever hook that's under 200 words is no easy task. I may see if I can take a few last-minute chops at it again. It just needs to be completed before the final cover work is completed.

#58 4 years ago

Whysnow is correct

1. one is more engaging
2. two has more confident text

I am typically distracted by logos that replace a letter with an object. They just don't work for my brain. I see:

T - LAGON

#59 4 years ago

Not my genre, but if I was at the lil free library that is on every other block here and both of those were choices.... The second one wouldn't garner a second glance, but the first one, I'd at least read the back.

#teamscene
#teamcat

#60 4 years ago

Let us know when this bad boy gets published. I'll pick up a copy.

#61 4 years ago

Even though we have been told our whole lifes not to, we all judge books by the cover. My vote is for the first one. I get a feeling of what the book could be like. And yet it leaves me wondering what it could all mean. The second one is nice but doesn't say anything about the story.

#62 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Ugh: editing/proofing, giving proofs to friends to read...seemed to go on FOREVER. Like the movie "Groundhog day". She's a perfectionist and excellent writer and I don't think she's ever completely satisfied. I would proof, but it was more from a technical aspect (i.e would the police do this instead of that, timelines OK, what would I have done, does this make sense, etc.). I'm an engineer, so obviously I would look at things differently than her.
Oddly enough, and to her frustration, I've never read her finished books from beginning to end. Read the same chapters countless times, first chapters, middle ones, last ones, other ones...all out of sequence too. I feel like I already them a dozen times since I know what's going to happen. I think she's still somewhat pissed at me to this day. LOL
She's joined a few writing groups, and I think she has managed to sell more books and has higher ratings than the people with a publicist. Lot's of aspects involved - the story's got to be good, artwork has got to be intriguing, and finally marketing is the biggie. You might have the best book ever, but if no one reads it...serious bummer. No doubt breaks are need to reset the brain.
PM me your private e-mail and I will pass it on to her.
Good luck!

Hello,
I was showing my wife this post as she is an avid reader. She is wondering what your wife's name is and the name of the books. She would like to check them out.

#63 4 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

While I still have everyone's attention, what do you think of my description? This is what would go on the back cover. I found this to be the most difficult part to write. I'm not too proud to take any thoughts or suggestions.
Since his earliest memories, the blue orb has dwelled within Crix Emberook. He was instructed to never call upon its enigmatic power in fear that everything would be lost. It was a close friend that must be ignored. He was always able to endure this struggle until a mysterious, black ship blinked into the skyline and crashed nearby.
His quest to investigate this ship thrusts him into a world ruled by an oppressive mechanical force, and they have been searching for the blue orb for decades.
Who truly controls this relentless force? Who is Kerriah, the beautiful woman that has him so captivated? The timing of her arrival and her unique gifts has him questioning everything about her. Now he must assemble the puzzle of the past.
He discovers that a tyrannical force overshadows the entire Oro system. Crix will need to harness the power of the orb, he must become a Tolagon. He finds that nothing is as it seems and the costs are more than he could have imagined . . .

If I were in the book store and read this on the cover, I would buy the book. I want to know who Kerriah is and what her unique gifts are. Definitely grabs my interest.

#64 4 years ago

I like the second one better, because I can't tell if I am reading the title of the book correctly in the first one.

#65 4 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Hello,
I was showing my wife this post as she is an avid reader. She is wondering what your wife's name is and the name of the books. She would like to check them out.

PM sent. Don't want to hijack the thread from BigDaddy.

#66 4 years ago

Here is a revised version of the blurb. I still may go with the original but I'm curious what your thoughts are between the two. Mostly subtle changes.

Revised-
Since his earliest memories, the blue orb has been a part of Crix Emberook. It has dwelled within him, whispering thoughts into his mind, and tempted him to release its energy. He has been warned never to use its enigmatic power in fear that everything would be lost. He was always able to endure this struggle until the day that a mysterious, black ship blinked into the skyline and crashed nearby.
Who truly controls this relentless force? Who is Kerriah, the beautiful woman that has him so captivated? The timing of her arrival and her unique gifts has him questioning everything about her. Now he must assemble the puzzle of the past. He must unleash the power of the orb and become a Tolagon.

Original -

2 weeks later
#67 4 years ago

Here is the final cover. It took a lot of back and forth revisions to get here. I can assure you that all the feedback here was taken into consideration and in some cases, used. Thanks for all the input and suggestions. Hopefully, everyone likes it!

Now I'm just waiting on the spine and back.

The book release should be in the next few weeks.

Tolagon Age of the Marcks 8 (resized).jpgTolagon Age of the Marcks 8 (resized).jpg
4 weeks later
#68 4 years ago

A big thanks to everyone here that provided input on the book cover design and blurb.

Book one, Tolagon – Age of the Marcks, is now available to read! Book 2, The Core, is soon to follow.

If you enjoy reading Science Fiction and Fantasy, please give my new book a try. I would love to have a discussion here with your thoughts over its characters and their journey.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZN7JV4R/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_rnVVDbV9S0MKP
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/tolagon-gregory-benson/1134550610?ean=9781734019605

#69 4 years ago

Here's an excerpt from the book. This scene ties directly to the book cover.

“Krath? Kerriah?” he called out and waited.
He was unable to see anything and swung around desperately, banging his elbow into one of the pillars. A horrible, painful shrill screamed out from the once-silent piece of stone. Crix detected no other sounds within this space and no replies from Kerriah or Krath, only an eerie silence mixed with the throbbing thump of his fast-beating heart. It pounded—pounding so loud he was positive someone or something would hear it. He moved his hands blindly around to assist his lack of sight. The only thing he felt was the irrepressible stone pillars, and each time one was touched, it executed that awful shrill that echoed through the forest.
Where are they?
Thoughts raced through his mind, and he tried not to succumb to the overwhelming feelings of fear and uneasiness. He wanted to take captive every thought. A whispering hiss fluttered from all directions as though something was searching for him. His throat tightened, his stomach felt constricted, and his eyes were unable to focus. Then, at that moment, an icy hand grabbed his shoulder. He helplessly yelled out and awkwardly spun around. There was nothing there: no light, no sounds, not even a wisp of a breeze.

#70 4 years ago

Cool! Hoping this really takes off for you. I'll look into it.

#71 4 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Cool! Hoping this really takes off for you. I'll look into it.

Thanks! It's certainly challenging for a 1st-time author to gain some traction. I knew that going into this. Right now I just need to get some reviews in.

There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-friendsi-need-your-help/page/2?hl=twoheartedmale and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.