Post-bookmark (resized).png
post-mentions-list (resized).png
key-posts-1 (resized).png
key-post (resized).jpg
redesigned-forum-tabs (resized).jpg
mention-gizza (resized).jpg
mention-gizza-post (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 7 years ago

nice update

idea for the future.......

any way of list of completed homebrews list next to top 100? so people can see a stats page if it was a retheme or fully custom with info like system it is running - proc etc - would encourage the homebrew guys

and maybe when you look at a pinsider that when you look at their collection that there is a dividing line and then their homebrew games

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from Tilt:

But what did you do with the activity bar, I always like clicking on it to see if there are any new post in topics that ive posted in, as those are often the topics i like. But I cant find it now

Quoted from s1500:

I miss the 'activity' link which a nice one-click list of topics I am interested in.

Copy paste. Topic is a stupid tag and is a vague description of what you're looking at. Activity says right up what it is.

#54 7 years ago

I wish the front page had an option to hide threads you are caught up on like the sticky section.

#55 7 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

I think you can do that with the button most recent activity - that will sort your list on threads with activity instead of the ones you last visited.

Except if I stopped reading the thread ages ago, I don't want to see it at the top. The more I read the ones I do want to keep caught up on, the more the ones I don't care about any more stand out with their green counts when I sort by most recent activity. And I don't necessarily want to have to drain them, so that's no solution either.

I just want a list of the ones I've been reading that have new posts. What is so difficult to understand about that?

#56 7 years ago
Quoted from BrewinBombers:

You can do this by clicking the "batch" link, then selecting all the topics you'd like to drain, and then draining them in a batch / bulk.

robin :

Loving the batch option! Never realized it was there. The only thing I'm having an issue with is it seems to only like to drain 10 topics or less at a time. I've tried to drain 11 or more topics at once before and nothing happens. Ten or less and the pop-up confirmation window opens normally. Is this something that can be fixed, or no? Just curious.

#57 7 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

robin :
Loving the batch option! Never realized it was there. The only thing I'm having an issue with is it seems to only like to drain 10 topics or less at a time. I've tried to drain 11 or more topics at once before and nothing happens. Ten or less and the pop-up confirmation window opens normally. Is this something that can be fixed, or no? Just curious.

Miguel351 If you're having that issue, I suggest you post it here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/forum/bugs

#58 7 years ago

Will do. Thanks!

#59 7 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Except if I stopped reading the thread ages ago, I don't want to see it at the top. The more I read the ones I do want to keep caught up on, the more the ones I don't care about any more stand out with their green counts when I sort by most recent activity. And I don't necessarily want to have to drain them, so that's no solution either.
I just want a list of the ones I've been reading that have new posts. What is so difficult to understand about that?

The way I see your request you're looking for this view (Topics which you viewed, sorted by the date you last visited the topic):

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

But then with a switch to only show topics that have new posts. Right?

I just talked with Robin about your request, and we think it might be an interesting idea to take it a step further and introduce a site-wide flag to hide 'idle' topics. Like you said, especially at mobile this might make navigation a lot more convenient.

Thanks for the suggestion, we will be looking for a good way to implement this.

#60 7 years ago

What's with the Pinside Market "bar" showing up in threads?

#61 7 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

What's with the Pinside Market "bar" showing up in threads?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/announcing-pinside-shops

#62 7 years ago
Quoted from Martijn:

The way I see your request you're looking for this view (Topics which you viewed, sorted by the date you last visited the topic):

But then with a switch to only show topics that have new posts. Right?
I just talked with Robin about your request, and we think it might be an interesting idea to take it a step further and introduce a site-wide flag to hide 'idle' topics. Like you said, especially at mobile this might make navigation a lot more convenient.
Thanks for the suggestion, we will be looking for a good way to implement this.

Ok, we implemented this behaviour. You can now hide idle topics (that's topics without any updates since you last opened the topic). This toggle has been added to every topic and post activity view and will 'remember' the way it has been set.

We think it's a neat, small addition to the "forum quality update", thanks everybody for coming up with good ideas.

Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 16.08.47 (resized).pngScreen Shot 2016-11-15 at 16.08.47 (resized).png

#63 7 years ago

Love the Hide Idle function. Perfect for how I use the site. - Thanks

#64 7 years ago

Same here, thanks a bunch for that.

#65 7 years ago

As noted earlier up-thread, a "Mark All as Read" would be a very nice addition, one I am accustomed to on most other forums I visit.

#66 7 years ago

I didn't like the ads right in the middle of the threads... the vast majority of the ads are meaningless to me, especially as not being in the u,s., and I do check the market every now and them.... I don't need them rubbering at my face all of the time.....

#67 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

I didn't like the ads right in the middle of the threads... the vast majority of the ads are meaningless to me, especially as not being in the u,s., and I do check the market every now and them.... I don't need them rubbering at my face all of the time.....

This was changed a couple hours ago. They will stay at the bottom of the page.

#68 7 years ago

The Hide Idle is very useful. Thanks.

#69 7 years ago
Quoted from Martijn:

Ok, we implemented this behaviour. You can now hide idle topics (that's topics without any updates since you last opened the topic). This toggle has been added to every topic and post activity view and will 'remember' the way it has been set.
We think it's a neat, small addition to the "forum quality update", thanks everybody for coming up with good ideas.

This is great. I have another issue that maybe we can get some more input to find a solution for. If I post in a topic, and then later decide I'm over it, I'll unvisit that topic. Now that topic will still show up in topics in which I've posted, but it's not exactly acting "as if you never clicked on it." I suppose I could drain the topic, but that's not really the solution I'm looking for either.

#70 7 years ago

I realize people pay for promoted ads, but surely there's a better spot for these than at the bottom of every single thread? If I want to buy or sell something I'll go to the marketplace. Just my opinion, I'm probably not alone though.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#71 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I realize people pay for promoted ads, but surely there's a better spot for these than at the bottom of every single thread? If I want to buy or sell something I'll go to the marketplace. Just my opinion, I'm probably not alone though.

Folks didn't like it at the top or in the middle of a thread. Is there another spot where you think that it might fit better?

#72 7 years ago

Hide idle is brilliant! Perfect! Thanks!!!

#73 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Folks didn't like it at the top or in the middle of a thread. Is there another spot where you think that it might fit better?

Makes sense -- clearly the best option is to show the ads after the 4th post, between the 12th and 13th posts, and the top half of another ad at the 26th post interjected between the 67th and 68th words.

Also the hide inactive slider is sweeeet and holy cow you guys have been up to a lot!!

#74 7 years ago

I vote you show the ads only in threads I don't click on.

(I kid, I kid)

#75 7 years ago

OK, but.... I turned it on, now I'm not able to turn it off.... It just won't work...

#76 7 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

As noted earlier up-thread, a "Mark All as Read" would be a very nice addition, one I am accustomed to on most other forums I visit.

Well, this is something that's technically kind of a challenge, especially from a performance perspective. We have noted it as a feature request and I know Robin loves a challenge.

Quoted from aobrien5:

This is great. I have another issue that maybe we can get some more input to find a solution for. If I post in a topic, and then later decide I'm over it, I'll unvisit that topic. Now that topic will still show up in topics in which I've posted, but it's not exactly acting "as if you never clicked on it." I suppose I could drain the topic, but that's not really the solution I'm looking for either.

If I understand your question correctly, what you're asking is very hard and kind of illogical as it doesn't make sense that you have never visited a topic in which you posted earlier on.

Quoted from Mbecker:

Also the hide inactive slider is sweeeet and holy cow you guys have been up to a lot!!

Thanks! It's community ideas like these that help us improve our platform every day!

Quoted from AlexSMendes:

OK, but.... I turned it on, now I'm not able to turn it off.... It just won't work...

Can you be a bit more specific? What exactly doesn't work? Maybe send a screenshot? And what are platform / browser you on?

#77 7 years ago

I think he means how when you turn Hide Idle on, click a thread, then back up to the list, turning it off does nothing until you refresh or click sort again.

#78 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Same here, I clicked it of, but refreshing the page will turn it on again. Visiting another page also does not do the job, it will not turn off??

#79 7 years ago

I think he means how when you turn Hide Idle on, click a thread, then back up to the list, turning it off does nothing until you refresh or click sort again.

Quoted from PeterG:

Same here, I clicked it of, but refreshing the page will turn it on again. Visiting another page also does not do the job, it will not turn off??

Thanks, we will be looking into this shortly.

#80 7 years ago
Quoted from Martijn:

If I understand your question correctly, what you're asking is very hard and kind of illogical as it doesn't make sense that you have never visited a topic in which you posted earlier on.

I think you understand, because it is a bit illogical. But there are conflicting options: posted in and unvisited. That's why I asked for help on solving it.

I just don't like seeing the green number on my activity page when don't really intend to read again.

I understand that I'm weird and this is back burner type stuff.

#81 7 years ago

Redesigned forum bookmarks

Is the post bookmark working as you designed? When I bookmark a particular post in a topic I get all the topic posts. I can drain the other posts but that seems not to be what was intended and what we had discussed a month or so ago.

maybe my vernacular regarding topics, posts, thread is confused.

Steve J.

#82 7 years ago
Quoted from Martijn:

I realize others have mentioned it but I also cannot turn it off no matter what I try. I don't seem to have any way to access my favourite threads now at all unless someone has posted in one.

#83 7 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I realize others have mentioned it but I also cannot turn it off no matter what I try. I don't seem to have any way to access my favourite threads now at all unless someone has posted in one.

Does the on/off toggle setting react when you click it, or is it "stuck"?

Are you on a mobile device or a desktop/laptop?

#84 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Does the on/off toggle setting react when you click it, or is it "stuck"?
Are you on a mobile device or a desktop/laptop?

I was fine yesterdya, I noticed this today.
You can click it to 'Off'. But the 'read' topics don't reappear. Reload the page (F5), and the toggle is back to 'On'.

#85 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I was fine yesterdya, I noticed this today.
You can click it to 'Off'. But the 'read' topics don't reappear. Reload the page (F5), and the toggle is back to 'On'.

Mobile or desktop (or both?)

#86 7 years ago

Whats up with the market place ads that show up at the bottom of regular forum threads? I think we could do without that as there is already a market place for that.

#87 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Whats up with the market place ads that show up at the bottom of regular forum threads? I think we could do without that as there is already a market place for that.

It was part of the Pinside Shops update:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/announcing-pinside-shops

#88 7 years ago

OK, so now I see a bunch of crap for sale that has nothing to do with the threads I read. Not my website, so do what you please, but it just looks like a bunch of clutter at the bottom of the page.

How do I turn it off?

Edit- Never mind, I figured it out.

#89 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

OK, so now I see a bunch of crap for sale that has nothing to do with the threads I read. Not my website, so do what you please, but it just looks like a bunch of clutter at the bottom of the page.
How do I turn it off?
Edit- Never mind, I figured it out.

How did you do?

#90 7 years ago

I'm doing fine, how do you you do?

(first donate at least $5, then go to forum settings, top right of screen, last option)

You no pay, you stuck with them.

#91 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Mobile or desktop (or both?)

Desktop. Haven't tried mobile yet. Firefox, x64, Win10.

#92 7 years ago

Ive grown to accept the ads. At the bottom of the page theyre really unobtrusive. I was going to turn them off, but will leave them.

Before the ads, I had literally never looked in the Marketplace for anything. Now im seeing interesting stuff that I didnt even realise was available.

Plus, there are alot of pinside members that are directly or indirectly involved with allot of the merchants/moders selling stuff, or will eventually buy or sell a game through the marketplace. The ads unquestionably benefit that segment of the community.

Infinitely better than the standard advertising banners for random companies with no involvement in the pinball community.

#93 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Desktop. Haven't tried mobile yet. Firefox, x64, Win10.

It sounds like Robin may have identified what the bug was, so it should hopefully be fixed soon.

#94 7 years ago

Is it mentioned anywhere that now you cant anonymously and completely edit a post after 24 hours? You can cross out the original and add text at the bottom, but not completely change anything.

Good and bad I guess. Bad if you are legitimately cleaning up a post that wasn't well written or contains mistakes.

Good to prevent people changing the content of the post entirely for whatever reason.

And it is only after 24 hours which is fair enough. before that you can edit as normal.

If its been up for 24hrs (which is a long time in a pinside thread) why change it? You can still change it, but not anonymously.

A good change I think.

#95 7 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Ive grown to accept the ads. At the bottom of the page theyre really unobtrusive. I was going to turn them off, but will leave them.
Before the ads, I had literally never looked in the Marketplace for anything. Now im seeing interesting stuff that I didnt even realise was available.
Plus, there are alot of pinside members that are directly or indirectly involved with allot of the merchants/moders selling stuff, or will eventually buy or sell a game through the marketplace. The ads unquestionably benefit that segment of the community.
Infinitely better than the standard advertising banners for random companies with no involvement in the pinball community.

Thanks for giving it a try. Contrary to what some of the initial feedback might have indicated, our counters show us that only a handful of Pinsiders have disabled the promo box, which is encouraging. As the shops platform matures and we keep refining our targeting algorithm I am sure a lot of new, interesting mods / parts will be revealed through this system.

#96 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

It sounds like Robin may have identified what the bug was, so it should hopefully be fixed soon.

We just pushed an update that should fix this bug. Please try it and report back. Thanks!

#97 7 years ago
Quoted from Martijn:

We just pushed an update that should fix this bug. Please try it and report back. Thanks!

Huh.... not working yet

#98 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Huh.... not working yet

Actually, though I got a msg that it was going back to idle, I had to refresh the page for it to work.... Let me give another try in a few to report back!

#99 7 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Bad if you are legitimately cleaning up a post that wasn't well written or contains mistakes.

If for any (important) reason a post needs to be edited, a mod may be able to do it even if you can't. Simply open a mod feedback thread or PM us and explain why. We'll see what to do.

#100 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Actually, though I got a msg that it was going back to idle, I had to refresh the page for it to work.... Let me give another try in a few to report back!

OK, at least on the PC, it's working fine! Thanks.

There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-forum-quality-update/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.