Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 104 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by robin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Planet-of-the-Apes.jpg
    GTFO-Star-Trek-Picard-Flip-Off.jpg
    B_R_say_s_Yr__1.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 12 years ago

Hey guys, I recently posted in a thread only to come back later, and find that what I had posted was changed. It seems very strange to me that MODs would edit a post, without letting anyone know, including myself. How many old posts have been edited? How many opinions have been censored?

No offense to anyone here, but I might follow Brokedad, and stick with RGP. The tech advice here is lacking anyways. This place just seems like more of a place to overpay for Ebay machines.

#2 12 years ago

You could have waited a few minutes for my reply to your e-mail. Anyways, I have sent a reply to you.

I'm sorry for changing the word 'idiot' in your post into 'person'. I was just trying to keep this a friendly place and end all the negativity. However, idiot is obviously not a swearing word, so maybe you're right and I shouldn't have done that.

#3 12 years ago
    Quoted from webfart:

No offense to anyone here, but I might follow Brokedad, and stick with RGP.

That would be a shame, there is no comparison in my opinion. Pinside is more visual and fun in my opinion. They are totally different beasts.

#4 12 years ago

Typical form on most forums is a mod to include that a post was edited and for what reason. Changing what someone's says without leaving a note is shady. I don't care if the mod messages the person privately, the rest of the folks on a forum have a right to know that it happened.

#5 12 years ago
    Quoted from yenningcomity:

Typical form on most forums is a mod to include that a post was edited and for what reason.

Valid point. Unfortunately our forum software does not support this, I've already looked into this some months back. Maybe I should add this functionality myself?

#6 12 years ago

If you have ever moderated a busy forum you would understand that a lot of times it's done on the fly because of having a lot of things to do during the course of the day. It's not like moderators only thing to do is keep forums clean and friendly places, trust me we have other things to do in life so cut them a break after all we/they volunteer to do it.

I don't moderate here at Pinside, I help at Spudfiles.com. Over a million hits a year there so I feel their pain here, cut them a break!

#7 12 years ago

I appreciate Robin's intent.

However, if I get out of line I would expect my post to be deleted. Not edited.

That's just me, I'm only a guest at this site and you guys make the rules, but I think that's the best way.

#8 12 years ago
    Quoted from jrrdw:

If you have ever moderated a busy forum you would understand that a lot of times it's done on the fly because of having a lot of things to do during the course of the day. It's not like moderators only thing to do is keep forums clean and friendly places, trust me we have other things to do in life so cut them a break after all we/they volunteer to do it.

I don't moderate here at Pinside, I help at Spudfiles.com. Over a million hits a year there so I feel their pain here, cut them a break!

Consider a break cut, but also consider me gone. If I can't trust the info in the forums is the peoples actual opinions, and not just the regergiated opinions of the MODS, I am not going to waste my time.

#9 12 years ago

In this case I think all that was changed was someone was referred to as an "idiot" and Robin altered it to say "person" instead. That sort of talk is welcome at RGP where anything goes, but around here we like to keep things a bit more civil.

#10 12 years ago

theres been alot more ruffling of feathers at pinside as of late.
    +1 on jrrdw's post, cut Robin a break and get back to some pinball...

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from webfart:

If I can't trust the info in the forums is the peoples actual opinions, and not just the regergiated opinions of the MODS, I am not going to waste my time.

"MODS" are not re-writing post around here just removing the rudness, there is a big difference.

#12 12 years ago

First of all, moderating is pretty new to me (as is running a forum).

The forum has been a very friendly place for the last 20 months or so. The last two months, we have seen a big growth of the Pinside forum (both in terms of new users and posts) and this brings some issues of unfriendly-ness with it.

I'm trying hard to keep the small and friendly spirit here. I though changing the word 'idiot' into 'person' was harmless. Sometimes I learn things the hard way. I understand webfart's point and in hindsight, my edit may not have been a good idea. But at least I'm happy to have an open discussion about it now and see what ideas people have about keeping the Pinside cool, friendly but also thrustworthy and uncensored.

It's almost like being a politician

One of the things I find hard is this. How can you edit a post and disclose that fact without actually showing the previous content? Any ideas?

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from jrrdw:

"MODS" are not re-writing post around here just removing the rudness, there is a big difference.

If I had wanted to say "person" I wouldn't have posted. So yes, they are removing the "rudness" but with that, they are totally taking the meaning away from certain posts. I mentioned to Robin, that instead of editing the response posts, he should be editing the original inflammatory posts. The fact that an upstading member of the community was flamed, and the response to the unwarranted flaming was edited, makes me lose my trust in this forum.

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

One of the things I find hard is this. How can you edit a post and disclose that fact without actually showing the previous content? Any ideas?

I would just delete the post, and mention that a post was deleted. Seems more up and up then re-wording certain parts of a given post.

#15 12 years ago

I also hear that our posts are also spied on by mods who have secretly been hired by the CIA.

We never went to the moon.

That 9/11 thing... thermite paint - look into it.

It's all a conspiracy.... maaaaaaaaan.

#16 12 years ago

In colored red text "Edited by Robin, foul language." at the bottom of the post that was edited.

Example of a edit I did at Spudfiles:

http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/viewtopic,t,22965.html

#17 12 years ago

While I agree it would be nice to be notified or an edit noted if your post is altered I think you are taking things a bit too far. Robin and the mods here do the best they can and I think they do a phenomenal job. IMO this is the best site for pinball fans on the web flat out, so we will have to agree to disagree on this one. Jespo is right on the mark lets leave the drama in the rear view and get back to some pinball!

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from jrrdw:

In colored red text "Edited by Robin, foul language." at the bottom of the post that was edited.

+1 or Edited by Moderator

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from way2wyrd:

jrrdw said:

+1 or Edited by Moderator

Works for me too.

#20 12 years ago

Robin, you are doing a great job and I would still pick Pinside over any of the other sites. IMHO, there is a lot of technical knowledge here and pinsiders are top shelf. Know matter where you go in life and what you do there is always going to be some kind of riff, misunderstanding, rude behavior, what have you. So, that being said most pinsiders here have not only a will to help other pinheads but also will try to point them in the right direction, unlike other forums on other sites I have seen. I also would like to say (as another way to look at things) that YOU are the boss and we and we work for you, i.e. follow your rules to be a part of this site. I really don't think that is much of a task or much to ask of us pinsiders. Anyway, I rambled on long enough just to say lets keep moving forward with or without those who "take offense" to the idea of being civil, mature, and a positive influence.

#21 12 years ago

Just put a note that it was edited and why like jrrdw said. That should be simple enough.

#22 12 years ago
    Quoted from webfart:

I would just delete the post, and mention that a post was deleted. Seems more up and up then re-wording certain parts of a given post.

...and you wouldn't complain about that? I mean really, is there that much of a difference there? Come on, lets be logical and mature adults here and move on.

Where the heck is B_R anyway? Anyone seen the crazy viking lately?

#23 12 years ago
    Quoted from webfart:

No offense to anyone here, but I might follow Brokedad, and stick with RGP. The tech advice here is lacking anyways. This place just seems like more of a place to overpay for Ebay machines.

see ya. you won't be missed "webfart"

#24 12 years ago
    Quoted from jwwhite15:

Nope, maybe he forgot to log on today.

#25 12 years ago
    Quoted from webfart:

If I had wanted to say "person" I wouldn't have posted. So yes, they are removing the "rudness" but with that, they are totally taking the meaning away from certain posts. I mentioned to Robin, that instead of editing the response posts, he should be editing the original inflammatory posts. The fact that an upstading member of the community was flamed, and the response to the unwarranted flaming was edited, makes me lose my trust in this forum.

Or you could keep the name calling out of this forum. I like that we are getting a lot of new members, but the overall behavior of the forum has really declined. I have been a member for a while now, and the last two months have been ridiculous. If you don't want to be edited, keep it civil.

#26 12 years ago
    Quoted from donjagra:

Or you could keep the name calling out of this forum. I like that we are getting a lot of new members, but the overall behavior of the forum has really declined. I have been a member for a while now, and the last two months have been ridiculous. If you don't want to be edited, keep it civil.

If you guys want to keep being babies, then stay here. I still can't believe that some idiot that doesn't know how to install a ROM decided to blast one of the best guys in this hobby. Instead of him being edited for being an asshole/idiot/douche bag, I was edited for pointing out how much of an asshole/idiot/ douche bag he was being.

Screw you guys, I am going home.

#27 12 years ago

I think sometimes people make mistakes and act out spontaneously without thinking first with reason. Count to 10, then research the problem by taking every avenue possible before letting your head explode. Just my helpful advice.
    Babies?...really?...who else is crying over a little itty bitty word change...WOW... oh, and don't forget your ball when you go stomping home.

#28 12 years ago

I know when you register to be a member of other websites/forums one of the pages you go through and agree to is forum rules/guidelines/TOS (terms of service) page and you can't move on with registration until you find the "agree" button buried in the text so you have to read it.

Might be a good time to update the registration process so new members can get a idea of how to get along....just a idea....off topic....hang me high!

#29 12 years ago

everyone that's left in the past few days has done so because they were called out for being a bit inflammatory.

Webfart, while i agree that you are right, that the response to the faulty ROM was completely out of line, Calling anyone an idiot just doesn't foster an amicable resolution.

I would recommend going back to RGP exclusively if that's your cup of tea. I know that I prefer the spirit of helpfulness that pinside fosters.

(man, there has been a lot of upheaval over the last few days. what's up with that?"

#30 12 years ago
    Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

(man, there has been a lot of upheaval over the last few days. what's up with that?"

It's just a sign of growth
    I imagine this would have come up eventually. It's good there are people willing to talk about it like Robin said.

#31 12 years ago

Full moon?

#32 12 years ago
    Quoted from jwwhite15:

Babies?...really?...who else is crying over a little itty bitty word change...WOW... oh, and don't forget your ball when you go stomping home.

I think Robin should replace "babies" with "adults" in Webfart's most recent post. Then it would be accurate.

#33 12 years ago

Yea that must be it.

#34 12 years ago
    Quoted from jarjarisgod:

I think Robin should replace "babies" with "adults" in Webfart's most recent post. Then it would be accurate.

JarJar sucks donkey balls.

#35 12 years ago

Not the member, the Star Wars character.

#36 12 years ago
    Quoted from webfart:

JarJar sucks donkey balls.

You were in the back of that bar too huh? This is all making sense now.

#37 12 years ago

LULZ

#38 12 years ago
    Quoted from webfart:

Not the member, the Star Wars character.

Jar Jar is the alpha and the omega of the Star Wars universe.

#39 12 years ago

In webs defense, he isn't a NEW member, I agree that Mike was blowing off steam in a place too public for what needed to be said. Words have a funny way of being permanent once printed, even if edited or erased. It is important to carefully consider the ramifications of accusation, name calling, reputation attacking before the enter button is pushed.

I felt Mike was acting out of character from the little I know of him. I also do not believe he is an idiot. For that matter, from the little I have seen/heard from web, he also seems like an asset here. Anonymously sending out arguments is dangeous, though.

I hope whoever is left here after the dust settles will get back to making this place the friendly, helpful fun place that I arrived to.

Just my 10 cents worth.

Ps. I was quite guilty of teasing/taunting pbparadise last week and I regret it. Just didn't want you all to think I don't have a mirror

#40 12 years ago
    Quoted from jwwhite15:

Robin, you are doing a great job and I would still pick Pinside over any of the other sites

+100

#41 12 years ago

And a peaceful community falls to ruin.

#42 12 years ago
    Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

It's just growing pains. There is a definitely a way to disagree and still be civil. Some that can't be civil in their posts will find out that it is not welcome on Pinside and frustration will inevitably arise. All we can do is say good bye to those who can't be civil and keep flipping here on Pinside. A happy medium will come about eventually and things will cool off.

#43 12 years ago

Wow! I go have a quick workout and come back to see that all hell has broken loose.

webfart,

I really hope that you don't leave Pinside just because of this incident. I understand that you are upset, but if you look at the thread in question, you will see that most of us were actually pretty quick to defend John. In editing your post, robin wasn't taking sides, he was simply trying to keep things civil. There are ways of criticizing someone's actions without necessarily being so inflammatory. As Pinsiders, we tend to pride ourselves on avoiding the personal attacks that are so common on RGP.

Personally, it didn't bother me at all that you used the word "idiot". When you frequent as many forums as I have over the years, you see all sorts of things written. Hell, a lot worse has been directed right at me. But this IS robin's forum, and as such, we all have to play by his rules. It seems to me from reading this thread that robin now sees that he may have acted a bit hastily. I also think you were a bit hasty in posting this thread before discussing it with robin first. In doing so, you are essentially guilty of the same thing that pinmike did when starting the ROM thread. Kind of ironic, don't you think?

And I really do not believe one needs to choose between RGP or Pinside. As someone already alluded to in this thread, they are completely different animals. RGP is a terrific resource when you are looking for specific information or need to get your message out to a large audience. Pinside is more of a true community where people come to share the joy they get from this hobby with others. RGP may have started out that way, but there is so much negativity there now, that the social aspect of it has become quite muddled. Personally, I frequent RGP regularly and post there quite a bit, but I do prefer Pinside overall. I actually know several people who refuse to join Pinside strictly because it is moderated, and I think they are missing out. Sadly, we are missing out as well, as some of those people are great guys with a wealth of knowledge to share. Oh well, to each his own I guess.

#44 12 years ago

I have been a member for awhile now and I have noticed that in the last 2 months or so we have had a lot of new members join. While that is good we have also had a change in attitude on Pinside. That is not so great. Robin and the mods are trying to keep this a friendly site and I am all for it. I dont like RGP because of that very reason. It might have more detailed info at times but the hateful attitude and bashing is a real turn off. I say do what needs to be done and not let it sink to RGP's level.

#45 12 years ago

I'm Here !!! Robin is just Try-n to Keep the Peace !!!! Yr All #1 with me...

B_R_say_s_Yr__1.jpgB_R_say_s_Yr__1.jpg

#46 12 years ago

LOL at the pic B_R

#47 12 years ago
    Quoted from jrrdw:

Sounds like a good idea. Will do this from now on. Except for the colors as this is not supported in the forum.

Quoted from webfart:

I still can't believe that some idiot that doesn't know how to install a ROM decided to blast one of the best guys in this hobby. Instead of him being edited for being an asshole/idiot/douche bag, I was edited for pointing out how much of an asshole/idiot/ douche bag he was being.

Again with the name calling? You may have a point here but it's hard to find between all the negativity. Yes, Pinmike reacted a bit emotional after receiving TWO non-working eproms for his games but that doesn't give anyone the right to call him an idiot.

Quoted from jrrdw:

Might be a good time to update the registration process so new members can get a idea of how to get along....

Might be a good idea. Or maybe a little piece of text, close to the "send post" button, to remind everyone to try and keep things nice? Anyone feeling inspired, pm me!

Quoted from The_Gorilla:

Just my 10 cents worth.

Fully agreed.

Quoted from gweempose:

But this IS robin's forum

Excellent post, you hit the nail on the head. But please know that I don't want to "rule" the Pinside like some dictator. I'm more at home in the role of being the technical guy, to be honest. Building new features and improving the site... The last couple of weeks have just been so negative that I really felt the need to do something to improve it. Hmm, I guess that kinda backfired in this case, didn't it

Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

I'm Here !!! Robin is just Try-n to Keep the Peace !!!! Yr All #1 with me...

Hehe, did you just shoot that photo just for this very topic?

#48 12 years ago

Techno shot the Pict in Pizza Hut Sat- ,, we took a Break 4-Lunch.. I needed to Up-date my " Yr # 1 with Me " Shot anyway .. In No way Shape or Form is the Finger goin out to Anyone Here.. This is Just B_R... I am who I am... I usually send Pict's- like this to C.List Low-baller's that get Argumentative with me.. So , Don't know 1 get their Panty's Wet or in a wad !!!! LOL

..Pinside Rock's.. also i'm Wait-n on High-Protien to show up.. He's in my Area..

#49 12 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Might be a good idea. Or maybe a little piece of text, close to the "send post" button, to remind everyone to try and keep things nice? Anyone feeling inspired, pm me!

Hmmm, actually it's already there. The yellow box pretty much says just this, doesn't it? Seems like texts like these don't work anymore when people are pressing the 'send post'-button for the 100th time.

A link / 'I agree to the community rules'-checkbox in the 'sign up' procedure seems like something worth adding although I doubt it will make a really big difference.

#50 12 years ago

I would really hate to have B_R mad at me.

There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-forum-post-editing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.