pacman-chart-1.jpg
points.png
DSCN0655.JPG
pinside.jpg
sorting_issue.png
red bar of doom.png
image-645.jpg
image.jpg
There are 314 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.
#51 9 years ago

Bring back order!

#52 9 years ago

Overall nice update. I agree with previous comments on the size of the histogram. I'd suggest hiding it behind a click or otherwise shrinking it. It takes up too much real estate (at least on desktop). To me, as a user, activity levels per hour on a specific post is not particularly important.

#53 9 years ago

I'll be honest, I don't even look at the histogram or the stats, they're cool and nice looking (the retina icons make me happy!), but I just slide my eyes past them straight to the posts. That's why I clicked the thread, to read the comments by people. Not to get the stats.

When it was started, what day it got more posts, all that stuff is cool. But I would want to seek it out because I cared, maybe there's an option to have it collapsed by default? It's a lot to scroll past for every single page you read.

#54 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

When I wake up I like to check last night's activity just in case I need to make adjustments to the last few posts from late the night before. But now when I go to activity they or no longer at the top. They are buried.

Quoted from ccotenj:

agreed... it is a bit confusing, as i also preferred that the topics that i actually recently posted in sort out first...
robin, can we have a sorting option?

Robin, great job on the update, but I agree with O-din and ccotenj's comments here. I would rather see the threads I have posted in most recently at the top. Not something I posted in two years ago that has recent activity. Any way we could set a preference in the future?

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Robin, great job on the update, but I agree with O-din and ccotenj's comments here. I would rather see the threads I have posted in most recently at the top. Not something I posted in two years ago that has recent activity. Any way we could set a preference in the future?

A lot of us requested that it switch to the current way, because while I hear your view, it's frustrating sometimes to have threads you were participating in not show up in the list because they went quiet for a day or two and get pushed way down. So there's value to the new way too.

I guess it's the difference between wanting to track "your" activity vs wanting to track thread activity that you're participating in.

Not sure what the happy medium is, besides adding a sorting option.

#56 9 years ago

I read pinside on my mobile phone
The text seems to be smaller, making the site hard to read

#57 9 years ago

I was hoping that the threads all mixed up was going to fix itself, I wouldn't have imagined it was intended. I use the activity by user option multiple times a day. I don't care what threads have had activity on them. o.0

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

A lot of us requested that it switch to the current way, because while I hear your view, it's frustrating sometimes to have threads you were participating in not show up in the list because they went quiet for a day or two and get pushed way down. So there's value to the new way too.
I guess it's the difference between wanting to track "your" activity vs wanting to track thread activity that you're participating in.

They wouldn't get pushed down if they went quiet. They would only get pushed down based on your activity in that thread compared to your activity in other threads.

#59 9 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Hmmm...says I have 1 unread message, but I can't find it! Is there a new place for messages besides pinsidemail?

Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 10.28.50 PM.png (Click image to enlarge)

I have had the same problem, even before the update. I went through every message and still have 1 unread.

#60 9 years ago

Perhaps was mentioned but the activity sort date is way off. Not by newest any longer

#61 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'll be honest, I don't even look at the histogram or the stats, they're cool and nice looking (the retina icons make me happy!), but I just slide my eyes past them straight to the posts. That's why I clicked the thread, to read the comments by people. Not to get the stats.
When it was started, what day it got more posts, all that stuff is cool. But I would want to seek it out because I cared, maybe there's an option to have it collapsed by default? It's a lot to scroll past for every single page you read.

agreed, they would be better if there was a "click here for stats" and it opened a box based on an action... while they may be interesting to some people, i'm not really seeing a great "need" to see this on every page...

#62 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

are we talking about the same thing? i mean under the "my activity" heading...

for example, the first thing listed in "my activity" list at this moment is "system 11 club"... i haven't posted in that thread in over a year...

i can see both ways, i suppose... but it's not overly useful to me to see topics i don't post in any more float to the top of my activity list...

#63 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

i can see both ways, i suppose... but it's not overly useful to me to see topics i don't post in any more float to the top of my activity list...

Especially if you're just following one person's recent posts....not the posts of everyone else responding to that one person.

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

A lot of us requested that it switch to the current way, because while I hear your view, it's frustrating sometimes to have threads you were participating in not show up in the list because they went quiet for a day or two and get pushed way down.

The way it is now, those threads get buried in your activity by threads you may not have visited for over a year. Way down the list.

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

are we talking about the same thing? i mean under the "my activity" heading...
for example, the first thing listed in "my activity" list at this moment is "system 11 club"... i haven't posted in that thread in over a year...

This would be my preference, as well. If I want to see threads that have recent activity, I can go to the general forums home page and look for the threads marked green. If I want to see if there is activity in the threads I have posted in recently, I would want to go to "My Pinside" and check "My Forum Activity." Whether there are replies/activity or not, my most recent activity should still be sorted at top.

ccotenj gives a perfect example. If I happened to post one time in a thread that gets a lot of activity (LIONMAN, MMr, Hobbit), I don't want those constantly at the top of "My Forum Activity" because that's not MY activity.

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

I don't want those constantly at the top of "My Forum Activity" because that's not MY activity.

This is an interesting point. The section is called "Topics in which you posted" which makes the sorting seem appropriate. Whereas "Topics posted recently" and "Topics with no replies" seem to not belong in the "Your activity" section at all. I'd say either an option to choose your sort, or a separate tab replacing one of those two would be appropriate.

I'm one of the ones that asked for the change to the new model, fwiw.

#67 9 years ago

I agree this should be hidden as the default option. Secondly, it's blowing out the dates so consider using a date format containing all numbers (02/26/2015).

Activity.jpgActivity.jpg

#68 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

lol. Theatre of Magic club is now at the top of my activity list. I sold that thing over a year ago.
'
So relevant.....

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

I'd say either an option to choose your sort, or a separate tab replacing one of those two would be appropriate.

"topics with NO REPLIES" seems usueless. Replace it with "topics in which YOU MOST RECENTLY POSTED."

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

"topics in which YOU MOST RECENTLY POSTED."

MMr fan club is now making it's way back to the top.

#71 9 years ago
Quoted from robin:

Turn off the filter in your settings and you'll see everything. Or set it to 1, 2, 3 etc required warnings to get Pinside to hide it (with an option to unhide it if you feel "safe" enough to do so, e.g. the kids or co-workers are not around). It's our way of having the best of both worlds: a safe site, but still the freedom to post the occasional "hot" picture.

Does anyone know where this setting is at? I clicked on my username and then the "Account - Your Settings" tab, but couldn't find anything.

#72 9 years ago

WE'RE NOT WORTHY!!! You are the MAN, Robin!

Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#73 9 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Does anyone know where this setting is at? I clicked on my username and then the "Account - Your Settings" tab, but couldn't find anything.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/settings

Under "Forum Settings"
faz

#74 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Hmm... I wish I knew... Perhaps?!?!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unread-posts-filter#post-2224242

faz

#75 9 years ago

OK Now it's to the point where this new activity monitor is just giving me a headache. I'm done.

#76 9 years ago

The best pinball forum on Earth just got better. Going to grab a diet lemon Snapple and catch some Zzzzzs. Then wake up, get an attitude adjustment and play some pinball of course. Later tonight should be a good time to settle down and enjoy Pinside.

#77 9 years ago

one thing I do not liek with the change is that the envelope mail header up top no longer flashes "new" when I get a new PM. Now, just the count of unread messages goes up.

I liked the quick visual that I have new mail.

#78 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

one thing I do not liek with the change is that the envelope mail header up top no longer flashes "new" when I get a new PM. Now, just the count of unread messages goes up.
I liked the quick visual that I have new mail.

it does "pulse" though... took me a minute or two to catch on to that...

#79 9 years ago

I must say I do like the fact that it no longer shows who made the most posts this week. That was a distraction.

#80 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I must say I do like the fact that it no longer shows who made the most posts this week. That was a distraction.

Yes. Distracting for the rest of us because you were always at the top...along with the thumbs up.

But I'm not bitter. Just keep the f-ing dog and let me know where to send the check.

#81 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Distracting for the rest of us because you were always at the top

You are now top dog.

#82 9 years ago

Thanks for the comments! I hear all of them and will be making changes where appropriate. Sorting options should be no problem. Stats clickout.. possible. Up/downvote box size? Sure. All good points. I'll sleep on it and see what can/should be done. Appreciate all the feedback, thanks!

#83 9 years ago

thanks robin!

#84 9 years ago

At least somebody will get some sleep.

#85 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You are now top dog.

That must be why I'm always in the doghouse.

#86 9 years ago

Is it possible to fix the profile jump feature in the upvote/downvote window? Tapping on a user's icon has always took you to the top of the page in Safari on iOS (discretely indicating a JavaScript error), but works fine in desktop browsers.

#87 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

That must be why I'm always in the doghouse.

It's a dog eat dog world.

#88 9 years ago

Watch out, o-din's avatar looks pretty intimidating compared to yours beelzeboob!

#89 9 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Yes. Agreed.

#90 9 years ago

Yep, please change a person's activity page back to time based (latest to oldest, in that order) - or at least have that as an option. Thank you.

#91 9 years ago

Yeah, that giant stats box at the top takes up way too much real estate. Having it collapsed to a "summary" version without graphs and other stuff would be better.

#92 9 years ago

The best just keeps getting BETTER!!!

LOVE it and thanks for all your hard work Robin.

#93 9 years ago

I have implemented a couple of small edits after the tremendous feedback. Thanks everyone for helping make Pinside better.

- Fixed problem posting market ads through to the forum
- Upvote/Downvote box is now a bit more compact by fitting some stuff side by side.
- Click anywhere on post text to hide ratings box. No more need to click that small close button.
- Fixed ratings privacy bug
- Added sorting selector for activity page (choose date you last posted or date of most recent activity)
- Played with topic heading design, made it a bit more compact
- Other small bug fixes sent to me by PM. Thanks all who did!

Needless to day, the above wasn't particularly well tested and I thought about waiting with releasing until tomorrow. But what the heck. I figured you would be pretty happy with those sorting selectors.

Pff, it's been a long day. I'm signing off! If you find more bugs, please post them below!

#94 9 years ago

Thanks Robin! You don't sleep much, do you?

#95 9 years ago

Quickest code update of a code update ever!

What a great bunch of pinsiders..
Screen Shot 2015-02-27 at 12.52.11 am.pngScreen Shot 2015-02-27 at 12.52.11 am.png

#96 9 years ago

great update.

your updates are faster than stern

edited **** just made a small donation for this great website****

#97 9 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Quickest code update of a code update ever!
What a great bunch of pinsiders..
Screen Shot 2015-02-27 at 12.52.11 am.png (Click image to enlarge)

image.jpgimage.jpg

#98 9 years ago

I think the posting of bar graph metric on site visits is pretty cool....provides a " pulse"..!!!

#99 9 years ago

i'm sure it's right in front of me...
but with the Tilt button gone how do people flag the NSFW post ?

#100 9 years ago

Can we right justify the [ close this box] button on the popup so we don't have to scroll left to close it?
I usually zoom in on smart phone to read text a little easier.
This screen shot is from an iPhone 6.

Thanks
image.jpgimage.jpg

There are 314 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-february-2015-site-update/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.