7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Slim64
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Hear me out here.

It seems like every few months someone takes up the charge on their disdain for the top 100 list. I get it, I was there myself at somepoint a few years ago. These same people then seem to get tired of the good fight and give up on making it better.

After observing some people (I respect very much for their opinions on games) get defeated by the lack of change and stop contributing, I have found that many seem to fall on one main concept as a watershed issue with the ratings. That concept seems to be the perspective of a Player vs Collector.

How about a sperate rating system. 1 top 100 for "collector"
    1 top 100 for "player"

Each would have their own distinct criteria for judging/rating/ranking a game.

This for example would make it much more value added for the different perspective and allow each perosn to rate 2x. Once onf the collector criteria, and again for the player criteria.

for a specific example >> In my case I personally would rate ACDC as a dud of a player, but even I can understand the the BIBLE eddition is highly colelctible and looks cool.

Another >> I cant rate Magic Girl since I have not played it, but from a collector perspective I can see it is a rare trailer queen that look purdy so I could rate it on the collector list.

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

I think it is funny you bring this up I think people like you are the problem with the top 100. You have 72 ratings 34 of them are in the 1/2 or 9/10 it is people who rate 10s and 1s that screw things up

you seem to have mis counted.

I have 73 ranked games. 29 rankings in the 9+ or <3 categories if you are looking to bucket. A bimodal distribution is common with actual opinion based rankings. I have games I like and have taken the time to rate them. I have some games I dislike and have taken the time to rate them. I then also have games some where in the middle.

On topic, this thread is pointing out a potential sollution to be value add for the ranking system on Pinside currently.

For example. I rate largely based on my desire to play a game, fun factor, etc. I find that if I rate from my collector perspective it is differnet than from my players perspective.

Do you have anything of value to add to this thread? or do you just want to troll and divert from useful discussion on topic? if the latter, then just LMK so I dont waste the time replying.

If we just want to have a conversation on statistical bias in ranking we can do that also.

You have ranked 14 total games and all of your rankings are withing a 1.1 range on a 10 point scale. I could run the numbers, but you have more rating bias than I just using the math and that would be statictically significant.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-feature-request-time-for-a-new-top-100-breakout?tu=Whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.