orig-21194500.jpg
20150605_233042.jpg
IMAG0765.jpg
IMAG0772.jpg
IMAG0757-927.jpg
image.jpg
image-218.jpg
image-995.jpg

There are 377 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 8.
#151 8 years ago

Ed Robertson.....Will you be releasing this on Vinyl?

#152 8 years ago

Five... Oops! "4 Great Canadian Kids having a great time playing and having Fun" (Thanks Ed.)

#153 8 years ago

IMG_20150321_134937.jpgIMG_20150321_134937.jpg

Love my Vinyl

#154 8 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

He's wanting to keep that private, I can respect that. Here's a hint though, he is probably not on this thread complementing his own song.

But he is lurking and reading it for sure. If you are reading this Ed, you are a poopyface. Now you can't defend yourself without revealing your true identity.

#155 8 years ago

Didn't they make a music video where the setting was the moon or something?

#156 8 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

IMG_20150321_134937.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
Love my Vinyl

Me too. Got probably 1000 lp's at least

#157 8 years ago

Great song, catchy, and shot in a sweet gameroom. I've been a fan of you guys since your live album. Really liked 'What a good boy.'

Ed, stay anonymous. It's neat to know you're out there in the shadows.

#158 8 years ago

First Release for BNL. Have 1 of these kicking around the house some where.
barnaked_ladies_yellow_tape.jpgBNL.jpgbarnaked_ladies_yellow_tape.jpgBNL.jpg

It went Gold as an Independent release.

#159 8 years ago

I didn't know if many others had noticed, but if you let the video play on YouTube it will go into a couple of other new songs off of their upcoming Silverball album.

I'm looking forward to hitting their show in Cincinnati next month. A couple of my friends are hardcore BNL fans and after they saw them last tour they demanded that I check them out on their next trip to Cincinnati. I'm always up for a good show so I was sold. Then I met Ed at Expo last year and he was kind enough to let me take a drunkin selfie with him....so that sealed the deal. Hearing the new song and that the album is called "Silverball" is just icing on the cake.

Thanks for posting this Robin and for making it available for us to enjoy Ed.

#160 8 years ago

Super awesome of Ed to write that note, glad that this web site has helped him out in the hobby. Love the song too!

#161 8 years ago

I was never a fan of these guys until now! 100% converted! This is off the charts cool!

#162 8 years ago

Has anyone from Replay FX tried to get BNL to play in July. Would be great to hear them during this huge event in Pittsburgh in late July

#163 8 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

After some reading, it seems Ed would prefer to stay anonymous. I totally understand that. I agree to keep it anonymous if you would like to play some pinball when you are in Royal Oak/Detroit.

#164 8 years ago
Quoted from triadwatch:

Has anyone from Replay FX tried to get BNL to play in July. Would be great to hear them during this huge event in Pittsburgh in late July

They are touring on the west coast in late July:
http://barenakedladies.com/events

The tour is *almost* synched up with California Extreme, though. Too bad they are in Saratoga a few days after CAX in Santa Clara.

I'm pretty sure Ed just wants to be lost in the crowd at any show, playing pinball, not playing instruments.

(Ed, contact me if you'd like to attend or be a part of CAX, July 18-19; we'll take care of you. )

-Mark
(Champaign, Joliet, Milwaukee, Santa Clara, oh my!)

#165 8 years ago

That was real cool, love the reference of there an back again an destroying the ring ... super cool...

#166 8 years ago

Love the song and what it does for the hobby. Pinball as a metaphor,genius!

#167 8 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I was never a fan of these guys until now! 100% converted! This is off the charts cool!

Well then. Time to change your avatar!

#168 8 years ago

Been a BNL fan for a long time and was lucky enough to play a game of The Mirror Universe with Ed at last year's TPF. He was awesome and we had a great time talking pinball and the I of course ruined it by going all BNL fanboy on him but he was plenty gracious. Totally understand him keeping anonymous on here so we don't drive him away with PMs . Thanks for Silverball, Ed!

P.S. I am Ed

#169 8 years ago

Ed is a class act, in person and on stage. Met him at TPF in 2014, just another regular guy with one heck of a passion for pinball.

#170 8 years ago

Barenaked Ladies did some christmas songs a while back. i really like that a lot.
very cool. wish they'd do more. not a lot of fresh/new options during the holidays to enjoy.

#172 8 years ago

This totally makes up for the song they wrote about how crappy my hometown is. Looking forward to hearing the full album.

#173 8 years ago
Quoted from arpman:

The real question is: Which pinfest gets to book them as musical talent?

It BETTER be TPF'2016!

Quoted from gtown:

Been a BNL fan for a long time and was lucky enough to play a game of The Mirror Universe with Ed at last year's TPF. He was awesome and we had a great time talking pinball and the I of course ruined it by going all BNL fanboy on him but he was plenty gracious.

I was so busy trying to keep that damn machine running that I didn't realize it was him until way after the show.

One of these day's I'll run into him again...

Don't forget to upvote the youtube video... might as well make it viral. Only 128 likes on youtube when I voted.

#174 8 years ago

Sure made me smile

#175 8 years ago

What a Great song! gives my chickenskin (as we say in Holland)

#176 8 years ago

399597.jpg399597.jpg
"The artwork is all pinball inspired, can you spot which game this back cover art was inspired by?"

was this answered yet? when i first saw it, my brain led me to this for some reason
image-5.jpgimage-5.jpg

but that's clearly not it. i'm sure i recognise those reflected silver pinballs but still can't locate them. my brain is also nagging me about Elton John but i can't see it on the artwork there.

this one has the circle but not the silver balls
Example Pinball Pool Backglass.pngExample Pinball Pool Backglass.png

what is it? Farfalla? Pinbot? Xenon?
bgzenon.jpgbgzenon.jpg

#177 8 years ago
Quoted from gtown:

P.S. I am Ed

P.S. - I am Ed!

#178 8 years ago

So's my wife.

#179 8 years ago

Nice tunes, I've found a new band !!!
Cheers

#180 8 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Don't forget to upvote the youtube video... might as well make it viral. Only 128 likes on youtube when I voted.

Yesterday, when I went to share it, I noticed it was "Unlisted". Today, though, it seems it's fair game.

#181 8 years ago

Great band, I've been a fan for many years and I'm happy to add another album to the collection.
Every interview I have seen and the first hand accounts from members here depict Ed as a funny, down to earth kind of guy ... it isn't surprising that he gets invited into fellow pinhead's homes. My meager collection is available anytime he is around ATL .

#182 8 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

Just pre-ordered my copy of Silverball on vinyl - can't wait!

http://barenakedladies.com/shop

#183 8 years ago
Quoted from cooldan:

399597.jpg
"The artwork is all pinball inspired, can you spot which game this back cover art was inspired by?"
was this answered yet? when i first saw it, my brain led me to this for some reason
image-5.jpg
but that's clearly not it. i'm sure i recognise those reflected silver pinballs but still can't locate them. my brain is also nagging me about Elton John but i can't see it on the artwork there.
this one has the circle but not the silver balls
Example Pinball Pool Backglass.png
what is it? Farfalla? Pinbot? Xenon?
bgzenon.jpg

It made me think initially of Charlie's Angels...but probably just because of the composition. Big circle with all the characters inside....similar coloring, etc.
CA BG.jpgCA BG.jpg

Outside of that, I can't think of anything that has every single element...circle, four silver balls around the edges, lightning bolts, etc.

Pete

#184 8 years ago
Quoted from Brehon:

So's my wife.

download.jpgdownload.jpg

#185 8 years ago

Nice job Ed. Everyone on Pinside is so proud that you have written such a beautiful homage to pinball. Thanks.

QSS

#186 8 years ago
Quoted from Quiddity:

FTFY.
(Gratuitous picture. Need pinball record. Thanks. )
20150504_135655.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Yes! Pre-ordered the Vinyl, http://barenakedladies.com/shop
We need a 45 for our Jukeboxes too!

#187 8 years ago

Here are what I hear the lyrics to be if anyone is interested, also feel free to correct

Roll around
And I stare at you
Your lights and sound
Am I scared of you
You could take me down
Like you set to do
But hear me now
I’ll take care of you

(Chorus)
Light me up and knock me down
I’m free game whenever you're around
So lock me in we're special bound cuz you’re my silverball

Had it all
There and back again
I destroyed the ring
On the attack again
The multiball
Was on track again
But I watched it fall
Through the center drain

(Chorus)

Silence is fine
But you won’t play me blind
Drops inline
We said everytime
I’ll change your mind
If I nudge you oh so carefully

Setting up
Hittin shots again
Getting tough
Makin locks again
If you’ve seen one
Then they're all the same
Just shoot the lights
And avoid outlanes

(Chorus)

(Chorus)

#188 8 years ago

For us guitar tab aficionados, I noticed G, Cadd9, D, C with a capo on the 4th. Maybe someone less lazy than me can do a tab.

#189 8 years ago

Awesome!! Love BNL! Just preordered. Can't wait until 6-2.

#190 8 years ago
Quoted from Adydar:

But I watched it fall
Through the center drain

This is the only line of the song I do not care for.
Just sounds forced to me. Otherwise a great song.

#191 8 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

This is the only line of the song I do not care for.
Just sounds forced to me. Otherwise a great song.

Some of it is a bit of a stretch, but really, it's a song about pinball, I can't imagine coming up with the wording was particularly easy. Especially to try to fit the mold of a song that they'd like to have some mass market appeal.

It really is catchy, I've found the more I listen to it, the more I like it.

#192 8 years ago
Quoted from Adydar:

Some of it is a bit of a stretch, but really, it's a song about pinball, I can't imagine coming up with the wording was particularly easy. Especially to try to fit the mold of a song that they'd like to have some mass market appeal.
It really is catchy, I've found the more I listen to it, the more I like it.

I agree. I love the song.
But every time that lyric comes up, I can't help but think something else should have been there.
Maybe just a word before that rhymes better with drain.

#193 8 years ago

The multiball
was on track again
but I watched it fall
like Tiananmen

The multiball
was on track again
but I was crushed
by Keith Elwin

The multiball
was on track again
but the center drain
was a mother hen

The multiball
was on track again
but the crypt kicker
was like Gentle Ben

#194 8 years ago
Quoted from dbellAZ:

The multiball
was on track again
but I watched it fall
like Tiananmen
The multiball
was on track again
but I was crushed
by Keith Elwin
The multiball
was on track again
but the center drain
was a mother hen
The multiball
was on track again
but the crypt kicker
was like Gentle Ben

Love them all. Very funny.

#195 8 years ago

Pinball is a way worst addiction than coke.

#196 8 years ago

Love this gesture, this band, this man Ed. I know he is here lurking around reading. I dont think he even wants to hide so much, rather that he would feel guilty that he would not have time to personally respond to ALL THE MESSAGES he would get if his handle here were public knowledge. He is such a nice guy.

This thread was a great idea, this rollout was a great idea, this video was a great idea.

Pinball is great, as if we didnt already know, but this video is further proof.

#197 8 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

rather that he would feel guilty that he would not have time to personally respond to ALL THE MESSAGES he would get if his handle here were public knowledge.

Excellent point

#198 8 years ago

i hear his handle on pinside is centerflank

#199 8 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

i hear his handle is on pinside is centerflank

Lol- that is funny!

#200 8 years ago

LOVE this! Even got to see them AC/DC horns in the video!

You da man!!!

xoxo your New Mexico Pinball pal

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
There are 377 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-exclusive-barenaked-ladies-silverbal-a-note-from-ed-robertson/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.