orig-21194500.jpg
20150605_233042.jpg
IMAG0765.jpg
IMAG0772.jpg
IMAG0757-927.jpg
image.jpg
image-218.jpg
image-995.jpg

There are 377 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.
#1 8 years ago

Back in October last year, when I had the opportunity to visit the Stern Pinball factory and meet the cool likes of Steve Ritchie, John Borg, George Gomez, Lyman Sheats, Lonnie Ropp and many more, I bumped into someone I did not expect. None other than Barenaked Ladies frontman Ed Robertson, who was there to pick up a brand new pinball machine.

"Huh?", I thought, "Ed Robertson plays pinball?" You bet! It turns out he does not only occasionally like a game of pinball but apparently has a pretty cool basement gameroom and is heavily absorbed in collecting, repairing, modding and of course playing pinball!

Well it just so happens that Pinside was built with quite a lot of Barenaked tunes playing in the background so I was naturally pleased to meet Ed and even more so to learn that he's actually a very active Pinside forum member! Cool!

A couple of months ago, Ed sent me a PM that the new Barenaked Ladies album was going to be pinball-themed, titled "Silverball" and that he wanted to give Pinside an exclusive sneak preview, as a thank you to the Pinside community for all the tech help, info and general pinball goodness provided.

The artwork is all pinball inspired, can you spot which game this back cover art was inspired by?The artwork is all pinball inspired, can you spot which game this back cover art was inspired by?

Long story short, he asked me to post the following note (click to enlarge):

Pinside note from Ed.jpegPinside note from Ed.jpeg

The band have recorded this special video for Pinside, it's also the premiere of their track "Silverball": a Pinside exclusive! Check it out!

If you like this song, “Silverball” by Barenaked Ladies, it will be available as an instant grat download on May 5th when you pre-order the album at itunes: http://smarturl.it/BNLSilverball. Full album to be released June 2, 2015

Silverball front cover.jpgSilverball front cover.jpg

Special thanks to Ed Robertson / Barenaked Ladies!

#2 8 years ago

Wow! That's awesome!

#3 8 years ago

Very cool

#4 8 years ago

That's pretty cool. Awesome game collection!!

#5 8 years ago

Wow, really cool! I just watched the video, great new song too!

Consider the album bought, and it's probably been a decade since I've bought a complete album.

#6 8 years ago

Wow this is amazing! How cool is it to see how many people this site has given to Robin? Great work. Great community. If credit is to be given to helping pinball being revived, I believe pinside and it's community is at the forefront. It really is a well laid out and great to use site. Thanks!

#7 8 years ago

Album pre-ordered!!

Great new song! Thanks for sharing with us.

#8 8 years ago

Thanks Ed!!!

#9 8 years ago

Very cool!

Thanks Ed and Robin!

#10 8 years ago

Very cool. Pinside is bigtime now!

#11 8 years ago

Very Cool indeed. Have played many a games of ball to Ed and the crew. Thanks for this. Cheers and good luck with the release Ed

#12 8 years ago

I played the snot outta this album when it first came out... One of the best live albums !!! image.jpgimage.jpg

Wish I can get them to play at my house !

#13 8 years ago

Loved It. BNL has some awesome tunes and that is one heck of a nice collection in the video. I'd love to have a collection like that some day. If I had a Million Dollars...

#14 8 years ago

Always loved the music they made! Thanks

#15 8 years ago

Very cool.

#16 8 years ago

Words cannot describe how f'ing cool this is.

#17 8 years ago

So. Freaking. Cool. There and back again..

#18 8 years ago

Good stuff!

#19 8 years ago

Great album cover, enjoyed the song too. Thanks Ed and the band

#20 8 years ago

Looks like someone is a fan of Jungle Princess, very cool concept/song/video!

Thanks Ed!

#21 8 years ago

Pretty cool.

#22 8 years ago

Heading out to see them in concert this summer. Very excited, and this is super-cool!

Handwritten note? Lost art form, man. The guy even has good handwriting.

Pete

#23 8 years ago

Nice! I med Ed at Expo last year, really nice guy.

Now somebody needs to do a BNL Silverball one off re-theme of some old game

#24 8 years ago

Cool video...I really like that song! I got to hang out a bit and talk pinball with Ed last year in Texas and he's a really nice guy. That's a sweet game room too.

#25 8 years ago

Ive met Ed and must say he is a fantastic guy, huge pinhead, local, and just funny as hell to be around.

His collection is awesome, and it was a great night out.

Wishing BNL all the success on their new tour and album. Hoping to make the show when they come through the hometown again!

Big thumbs up to them!

#26 8 years ago

Rad!
Hey ED!
If you read this or someone that knows ya can ask ya if I can do an interview with ya
about Pinball before the BNL show in St Augustine on July 11th that'd be rad!
I'm always up for doing great interviews for my 904 Pinball Zine channel!
www.youtube.com/user/904PinballZine
Thanks
Cody

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Rad!
Hey ED!
If you read this or someone that knows ya can ask ya if I can do an interview with ya
about Pinball before the BNL show in St Augustine on July 11th that'd be rad!
I'm always up for doing great interviews for my 904 Pinball Zine channel!
http://www.youtube.com/user/904PinballZine
Thanks
Cody

I sent him a message for you.

#28 8 years ago

Thanks for posting that Robin, that is waaaaay cool. I wish they would have put more pinball playing shots in there like the ball in the pops going crazy or something but who knows what royalties they had to pay (if any) they had to pay for what they used. Looks like Ed has a great collection to. If Ed and the gang reads this good job and much luck with the new cd. If you ever play here I'll gladly bring a pin and play it on stage while you play.

#29 8 years ago

I've been a fan since I first heard them. Great songwriting, singing, musical chops.... All around perfection as a pop group. And pinball, too? So awesome.

#30 8 years ago

Very cool!

#31 8 years ago

After the desert of Skit B and JPoop threads this special, dedicated gift to Pinside is like an oasis of cool waters and a soft breeze.

Killer song too.

Thank you Ed!

#32 8 years ago

Encore encore

#33 8 years ago

Making of...

#34 8 years ago

Part 2

#35 8 years ago

Part 3

#36 8 years ago

I've been to Ed's house. Genuinely, super nice guy, none of the pretentiousness that some would expect from someone famous. I've only been once.....but hope to visit again sometime!

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

I sent him a message for you.

Thank you so very very much!

#38 8 years ago

It's about time someone put out new pinball song. Pinball wizard is about as fresh as a fog hat concert. Thanks Ed

#39 8 years ago

Very Cool! Nice thing to do for the community and I dig the song. I really hope "Silverball" is a smash hit and replaces "Pinball Wizard" as the quintessential pinball anthem.-One can dream right

#40 8 years ago

Awesome.

#41 8 years ago

The new Pinside theme song! Very nice!

Rob Bell
Robsgameroom.com

#42 8 years ago

Ed is a friend of mine and has been visiting my place every time he comes to Phoenix for some time now. He is a super nice guy and a really good pinball player. He 'texted' me yesterday from France and let me know ahead of time that this would be announced this morning. I was very privileged to receive a copy of the Silverball Song in a .wav format 2 months ago before the final editing was done. Ed really is a pinhead and is one of us. If you ever get a chance to meet him you will be pleasantly surprised at just how nice of a guy he really is! Ed: Can't wait for you to come over again and play my new games....

Stu

#43 8 years ago

Please, please, PLEASE, can this be the new anthem of pinball? Pinball Wizard has run it's course.

EDIT: Seems like I have some like-minded Pinsiders who type faster than I do.

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from mario_1_up:

It's about time someone put out new pinball song. Pinball wizard is about as fresh as a fog hat concert. Thanks Ed

Probably blasphemy, but I can't stand the "Pinball Wizard" song.

Every time a non pinhead comes over to my house....they reference the song as a joke. Every...single...time. I nod and chuckle, but die a little inside every time.

Also..."plays by sense of smell??" I can't get past that line. It's just not possible. Even Daredevil can't play by sense of smell, and he's got super-human senses.

So....I'm on the Silverball hype train.

Pete

#45 8 years ago

A fun new anthem (about time). Go Ed!

Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Every time a non pinhead comes over to my house....they reference the song as a joke. Every...single...time. I nod and chuckle, but die a little inside every time.
Also..."plays by sense of smell??" I can't get past that line. It's just not possible. Even Daredevil can't play by sense of smell, and he's got super-human senses.
Pete

It's a reference to the Tommy movie that the song comes from. The main protagonist is "Deaf, Dumb, and Blind", so it just an exaggeration of how he'd play pinball.

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Pete

I know what your saying. If I had a dollar for every time someone called that i would be retired. They think it's the pinball players national anthem.

#48 8 years ago

Silverball is obviously a song about pinball to us but I would bet most non-pinheads would interpret it as some kind of breakup song.

Thanks to BNL for doing this! And for the joy your music has brought to me, I can't thank you enough. Please never stop making music!

#49 8 years ago

Love this. Fantastic band. Fantastic songs. And now they've got one about pinball. Forget May the Fourth.... you've just been trumped by this song's release on May the Fifth!

And Ed is not only a great musician, singer, songwriter... he's also a cool down-to-earth guy. My wife and I had the pleasure of meeting him at TPF a couple years ago.

Great video -- love the shots capturing their reactions to playing pinball.

#50 8 years ago

This will answer a lot of questions.

Also to you mattster...

http://www.bttoronto.ca/videos/4201406873001/

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Baltimore, MD
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.
Interactive
$ 26.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy
Hardware
$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Backbox
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
There are 377 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-exclusive-barenaked-ladies-silverbal-a-note-from-ed-robertson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.