1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by midcoastsurf
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 16 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

717BC52E-B18E-4BD4-9328-54E1FC495CC9 (resized).jpeg
    2F117C2A-B0B5-43B9-A2CC-07DD6EDA42F6 (resized).jpeg
    4B834C67-2429-49D6-ABB2-DE36355A1888 (resized).jpeg
    4BD07651-7AEE-44BF-A727-D3E56202C46C (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3980 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3922 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3920 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3915 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3905 (resized).JPG
    41311717-82CC-48E6-860C-C2696DC67895 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0107 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0106 (resized).jpg
    Onewheel (resized).jpeg
    F269C4A7-96C2-4C19-A9D3-6A86AF9991F8 (resized).jpeg
    53C730BC-27C1-4E3A-B7B8-E57DBAEF87DF (resized).jpeg
    5081D8A0-90FE-44BE-BA4F-286DB110FA60 (resized).jpeg

#1 1 year ago

So this might be a small club now but I bet it grows soon. These are cost prohibitive and techie toys so figured there might be a few on these boards that already joined the club. If you can afford a new pinball machine you can certainly swing these.

If you haven't and you're on the fence, I can wholeheartedly say "Go for it!" I love using these and get an amazing workout. Started with Fat Tire E-bikes that I built for my girlfriend and me. If you watch YouTube you've probably seen the Boosted board and Onewheel too. Yep, those were next.

5081D8A0-90FE-44BE-BA4F-286DB110FA60 (resized).jpeg

FWIW I’ve ridden lots of bikes in my life. I’ve owned BMX, hybrids, road bikes and full suspension. This is my first eBike and first fat tire bike. Love it! The fat tires provide a lot of air and cushion on the road. They also have rolling resistance to limit my urges to push the top speed. I can still get low 30's with peddle assist, but rarely go faster then 20 mph or so.

Bikes are rocking BBSHD with 52v batteries. Range can be really far if you only use peddle assist 1. +50 miles easy. I like working out in peddle assist 1 with a really fast cadence. I can usually maintain a HB of 135-150 bpm which rocks for my cardio. The legs can do as much or as little work as I want.

IMG_0106 (resized).jpgIMG_0107 (resized).jpg

The boards on the other hand are just fun as shit. A little adrenaline and fear to help pump the blood, but I always ride with a helmet and gloves. Often a lead elbow pad and knee pad too, depending on my ride. I'm still new to the boards, but feel really comfortable on both. I bought these becuase they're cool, but more so to work on and maintain my balance and core. I'm 48, so figured if I wait too lon I might not be able to grab a board and learn.

I hadn't ridden a skateboard in like 25 years and the boosted was easy to pick up and feels stable. The Onewheel a little more difficult since I had never snowboarded or surfed. They both have a similar, but different feel. It feels a little weird to go from one to the other. The boards have improved my balance and leg strength rather quick. I usually don't get too nuts, but enjoy carving and feel comfortable. Definitely can fatigue the legs and feet with lots of riding. More noticeable on rougher terrain and sidewalks.

Like I said these are all somewhat new to me, so I was hoping to find others that ride electric, alternative vehicles like these. My county is dangerous with lots of traffic, but lots of trails too and back roads for me to get around.

#2 1 year ago

Very cool. I ride a Scott mountain bike everyday (12 miles) around ft lauderdale, on the sides of canals checking out the loads of iguanas hanging out there. I always have been intrigued with E Bikes , but fear they are to heavy as I like to do jumps and tricks on my ride. I do urban riding and some off road stuff. Its really nice to see the world around you at 10 miles an hour. You can really appreciate it better. Love to ride.

#3 1 year ago

got a FLX blade this fall.. makes commuting a very hilly commute easy. bafang ultra max drive, 48v.

#4 1 year ago

Modfather the bike is heavy. My motor is 12 pounds, battery is 7.5 pounds. The weight is of no concern for normal riding, but tricks might be tough.

Speaking of tricks look what I did riding trails this morning in heavy fog. Bike slipped coming off a wooden bridge. My body took a few scrapes, but my Apple Watch series 4 wasn’t so lucky.....doooh!

F269C4A7-96C2-4C19-A9D3-6A86AF9991F8 (resized).jpeg53C730BC-27C1-4E3A-B7B8-E57DBAEF87DF (resized).jpeg

#5 1 year ago

Nice setup Tom. The Flx blade looks awesome. I considered adding front suspension but nothing that would warrant in my area and the tires are comfortable.

I’ve got a plus size wheelset (2.8” vs 4”) but prefer the ride quality of the fat tire over less rolling resistance. If I did switch permently I would add a suspension fork.

1 week later
    #6 1 year ago

So, I've since replaced my watch and got Apple Care this time. Man that was an expensive lesson. Anyway, the Onewheel came yesterday and I feel pretty good on it right now. A little wobbly, but I've never surfed of snowboarded and this doesn't give me the same feel as being on a skateboard.

I think riding will build the stabilization muscles to feel totally safe. I do feel pretty good for 48 years though. I rode 4 miles round trip to do a bank deposit today and successfully ran off my board after losing control at almost 15 MPH. I think my legs were a little tired and I lost concentration after going over a uneven sidewalk.

Anyway tons of fun. I wear a helmet and gloves, but not much of anything else. I've tried to ride with a slight forward facing foot in the event I have to bail I have a chance to run off of it like I did. Totally stoked I didnt eat it this time.

Anyone else?

Onewheel (resized).jpeg

#7 1 year ago

I know it's Pinside, but c'mon I can't be the only one riding these? These are so fun. Who's joining this club? Check out YouTube if you haven't seen them.

I can't speak for the mini, but the classic (longboard version) is really stable.

#8 1 year ago

You can see what you don't want to do in the first minute of this video.

Demo courtesy of my friend Vic

Added 17 months ago:

Sorry about my gutter mouth. I got pretty jacked up in the moment

3 weeks later
    #9 1 year ago

Okay, so I’m going to do a weekend bump on the outside chance anyone else wants to join

Been pretty much going nuts on my Onewheel. My buddies accident did slow me down for a bit. 250 miles in less then a month..not too bad for an old dude. It’s no cardio for the most part, but pretty decent core, legs and balance.

41311717-82CC-48E6-860C-C2696DC67895 (resized).jpeg

#10 1 year ago

I ride an Inboard to/from work when weather and my schedule permits. Short ride, a little less than three miles each way, mostly on a bike path (plenty of those where I live). Always fun to cruise the bike path, passing folks on their bicycles and then commuters stopped in traffic/at lights.

It's a nice start and end to the day. Takes me less time to ride that to work than to drive. Right now, too much snow on the ground and I don't like riding it when it is <32 degrees.

#11 1 year ago

That Onewheel is badass. I used to skate when I was a lot younger, but over the course of the last 15 years I was heavily into wakeskating. It’s basically skateboarding on water, behind a boat or wave runner. You wear sneakers and the board is just like an oversized skateboard with grip tape for stability. The falls are a hell of a lot more bareable when it’s water you’re crashing into as apposed to concrete.

If I didn’t have young kids I’d probably own one of those onewheels. I just know I would never get to use it. Nowadays I barely have enough time to get a game of pinball in

#12 1 year ago

I built this for my son for Christmas last year...he uses it to commute back and forth to school in NYC. Range of 12 miles, max speed of 24 mph. I rode it once, that was enough for me

IMG_3905 (resized).JPGIMG_3915 (resized).JPGIMG_3920 (resized).JPGIMG_3922 (resized).JPGIMG_3980 (resized).JPG
    1 month later
    #13 1 year ago

I just bought a one wheel XR and preordered two pints. I used to snowboard when I lived in Utah and I am really excited about the Onewheel.

#14 1 year ago

I have been debating getting a Onewheel XR for months but the price tag and reading about nose dives are the only reasons i have not ordered yet. I do a lot of fat tire offroad biking but took a hard spill in the fall and my shoulder still aches sometimes so the whole idea of nose dives is making me gunshy. @toasterdog your wipeout video is not helping. Summer is coming so I need to make a choice soon.

1 week later
    #15 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zavadoza:

I just bought a one wheel XR and preordered two pints. I used to snowboard when I lived in Utah and I am really excited about the Onewheel.

Sweet. The pint looks awesome. I don’t need a more portable version and I’m a bigger rider at 6’3 220. It looks cool though and I still might get one down the road. I know you’ll love the XR, it’s such a cool toy.

The Onewheel app is great. I prefer a custom set up, but rode a ton of Delirium and Mission before creating my own profile.

Quoted from TheBrewhouse:

I have been debating getting a Onewheel XR for months but the price tag and reading about nose dives are the only reasons i have not ordered yet. I do a lot of fat tire offroad biking but took a hard spill in the fall and my shoulder still aches sometimes so the whole idea of nose dives is making me gunshy. @toasterdog your wipeout video is not helping. Summer is coming so I need to make a choice soon.

Hey I wouldn’t let that video deter you. If you ride safe and don’t get over confident too soon I feel you can ride safely. I rarely go over 16mph and feel confident carving at 14-15. Learn a good riding stance and ride often. I think most nosedives happen because people haven’t learned (muscle memory) when a wobble happens. At a normal speed it’s corrctable or you can run off the board if you have to. I can easily determine when board is pushing back and monitor speed on my Apple Watch.

After a few weeks I rarely wobbled and my legs react quickly to an unexpected bump or swell in the road. I think I’m around 450 miles and only had two minor falls mostly off-road. Somewhat of an old timer here at 48.

4 weeks later
    #17 1 year ago

I’ve had my Onewheel since the kickstarter days. And I can honestly say that I’ll never not have one, I’d sell all my pins before the OW.
    I just put surestance pads on my V1.

4B834C67-2429-49D6-ABB2-DE36355A1888 (resized).jpeg4BD07651-7AEE-44BF-A727-D3E56202C46C (resized).jpeg
    3 months later
    #18 10 months ago

Love that red Cam. I modified mine a few months ago. The gray side plates are sold through Onewheel and are a perfect fit. Affordable too @ $25

I love all my rides, but OW is my favorite. I think I’m up to 860 miles or so. I’ll be stoked to hit 1k.

BTW I was looking at the surestance pads yesterday, three different styles now. My rear is a Kush pad, it’s a little more contoured then OEM.

2F117C2A-B0B5-43B9-A2CC-07DD6EDA42F6 (resized).jpeg

#19 10 months ago
    Quoted from Zavadoza:

Any updates? Inquiring minds want to know.

2 weeks later
    #20 10 months ago

Been curious about the onewheel for awhile and finally pulled the trigger. Figured I’d catch on quickly since I used to skateboard but its a lot different. At 45 yrs old, my wife thinks I’m nuts and she was none too impressed when within 5 minutes of riding at full tilt I nosedived!
    Needless to say, I can’t wait to jump back on it tomorrow!

1 week later
    #21 9 months ago

How do your legs, feet and ankles feel after a long ride?

#22 9 months ago

It doesn't feel as natural as when riding a skateboard so my back foot get's tired on a longer ride. Legs and ankles don't bother me but I also never skip leg day in the gym

#23 9 months ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

Love that red Cam. I modified mine a few months ago.
    I love all my rides, but OW is my favorite. I think I’m up to 860 miles or so. I’ll be stoked to hit 1k.
    [quoted image]

Thanks. Ageed, the OW is my hands down first choice every time. I just hit 2000km/1250 miles.

Quoted from juandylan:

Been curious about the onewheel for awhile and finally pulled the trigger. Figured I’d catch on quickly since I used to skateboard but its a lot different. At 45 yrs old, my wife thinks I’m nuts and she was none too impressed when within 5 minutes of riding at full tilt I nosedived!
    Needless to say, I can’t wait to jump back on it tomorrow!

Nice!! You’re never too old
    I’m an 80’s kid who grew up on a skateboard, and can tell you after 4 years of owning this thing I’ll have a OW for the rest of my life.

Quoted from timab2000:

How do your legs, feet and ankles feel after a long ride?

The bottom of your feet can bother you during a long non stop ride. Shoe choice helps, so does getting of for a minute at a red light... but I prefer to stay on it and amaze the traffic that can’t believe what they are seeing

#24 9 months ago

Well I ordered a one wheel Xr today. Can't wait to get it.

Sold my Evel Kinevel to get it.

6 months later
    #25 3 months ago

Spotted a TZ in a OneWheel FB ad today

717BC52E-B18E-4BD4-9328-54E1FC495CC9 (resized).jpeg
    Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 47.00
    $ 279.95
    Cabinet - Toppers
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 29.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 87.00
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 180.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 7,299.00
    $ 248.85
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5,899.99
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 27.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 199.99
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 5.00
    Boards
    Allteksystems

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside