(Topic ID: 184592)

Pinside goes Texas (and San Fransisco)

By robin

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1154 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1144 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1147 (resized).jpg
    martijnthoughtslol2 (resized).png
    martijnthoughtslol (resized).png
    IMG_1378 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8176 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8108 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8132 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8074 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8165 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8089 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8129 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8113 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8105 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8082 (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

Back in Texas!

After a great TPF'16, Martijn and I decided to return to Texas for the great Texas Pinball Festival! I'm gonna post some pics and document our trip here.

After Texas, we plan on flying to San Fransisco and spend a week there to visit the Pacific Pinball Museum, Free Gold Watch and more (and see the sights, of course)!

It only takes 17 hours to get from Alkmaar to DallasIt only takes 17 hours to get from Alkmaar to Dallas

This time, we arrived a bit early, on Wednesday, so we wouldn't have to jetlag our way through the weekend.

Our friend Jared picked us up at the airport and drove us around the city by night. Pretty cool!

Visiting the JFK assasination site at Dealey PlazaVisiting the JFK assasination site at Dealey Plaza

Next morning, we had breakfast at a nice little place in Rockwall, TX.

Breakfast with Martijn and JaredBreakfast with Martijn and Jared

Then it was time to get to work and start loading up a gazillion games into a truck.

Marcus and Mitchell loading game #5 into the truckMarcus and Mitchell loading game #5 into the truck

1, 2, 3 push!1, 2, 3 push!

The truck fillin up nicelyThe truck fillin up nicely

Louis and MarcusLouis and Marcus

Before unloading the truck at the Embassy Suites, we stopped for some Korean BBQ. Great stuff!

I always cut meat with... scissors?I always cut meat with... scissors?

Then the hardest part of the trip. Unloading everything from the truck and uHaul. At around 11:30pm we called it quits for the day. This is the Pinside booth built up halfway.

The unfinished boothThe unfinished booth

Tomorrow we're gonna do some more fun stuff in the area before endulging in a weekend of pinball! I might even get a picture where I'm actually in. See ya later!

#2 7 years ago

Here is that picture Robin is actually in. All energized again and waiting for our ride to arrive to treat us to another eventful day in Texas. Granted, it isn't much of a picture, but it will have to do for now...

IMG_3277 (resized).JPGIMG_3277 (resized).JPG

#3 7 years ago

We wish you would also COME TO PAGG!!! Dixon!!! May!!!! Pleeeze!!!

#4 7 years ago

If you're willing to go to Santa Clara CA (near San Jose Airport), I'll buy beer. Or BBQ. Or both. We've also got room for another dozen or so guests.

IMG_0254 (resized).jpgIMG_0254 (resized).jpg

#5 7 years ago

That picture of the four of you moving one game up the ramp

#6 7 years ago

Oof, Friday was another fun filled day. We first shot guns for the first time eva, then attended the Pinside Meet n' Greet at Wild Pitch and I also finally got a chance to play Dialed In. And loved i!

Martijn ready to get all medieval on someones derriereMartijn ready to get all medieval on someones derriere

I'll stick to nerf guns for now...I'll stick to nerf guns for now...

...Then hand guns... ...Then hand guns...

This guy wouldn't live to tell my first experience shooting a gun :-)This guy wouldn't live to tell my first experience shooting a gun

The Pinside Meet n' Greet at Wild PitchThe Pinside Meet n' Greet at Wild Pitch

Finally getting to play Dialed In.Finally getting to play Dialed In.

And talking to JackAnd talking to Jack

Pinside booth left sidePinside booth left side

Pinside booth Bally rowPinside booth Bally row

Ughe, ughe - it's the cigar smoking partyUghe, ughe - it's the cigar smoking party

#7 7 years ago

When are you going to visit PPM??? Will you all be at CAX???

#8 7 years ago

Depending on your timing during your SF trip you should drop by and play in a tournament - so many going on here regularly - http://www.hellaheartpinball.com has a great listing of what's going on around here...

#9 7 years ago

I keep looking for that moderator booth but I can't seem to find it where are you guys hiding?

#10 7 years ago

Interesting, I can't make it to TPF but live in Texas and lived in San Francisco too. Keep us updated!

#11 7 years ago

A couple more pics from the Pinside Meet-n-greet.

IMG_3255 (resized).JPGIMG_3255 (resized).JPG

IMG_3253 (resized).JPGIMG_3253 (resized).JPG

#12 7 years ago

IMG_7947 (resized).JPGIMG_7947 (resized).JPG

IMG_7925 (resized).JPGIMG_7925 (resized).JPG

IMG_7915 (resized).JPGIMG_7915 (resized).JPG

IMG_7933 (resized).JPGIMG_7933 (resized).JPG

IMG_7938 (resized).JPGIMG_7938 (resized).JPG

#13 7 years ago

IMG_7898 (resized).JPGIMG_7898 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7955 (resized).JPGIMG_7955 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7961 (resized).JPGIMG_7961 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7963 (resized).JPGIMG_7963 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7968 (resized).JPGIMG_7968 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7972 (resized).JPGIMG_7972 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7980 (resized).JPGIMG_7980 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7981 (resized).JPGIMG_7981 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7983 (resized).JPGIMG_7983 (resized).JPG

Can't believe it's already over. Best. Show. Ever! Huge props to Ed & Kim and all the folks who made TPF possible. Extra shoutout to Marcus and to Jared for driving us around, showing the sights and being super cool.

And now... San Francisco! It would be awesome to meet a bunch of Bay Area Pinsiders. Maybe we can meet up at Free Gold Watch sometime this week? We're staying in an Airbnb two blocks away.

#14 7 years ago

Great picture of my space shuttle machine...

Lot of work moving all those machines but we loved having you guys here, robin Martijn and @arjan ...

Here are just a few of my pics from the show ... Even one of the whole family

IMG_20170323_122454541 (resized).jpgIMG_20170323_122454541 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170326_114637949 (resized).jpgIMG_20170326_114637949 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170326_143544588 (resized).jpgIMG_20170326_143544588 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170326_105137245 (resized).jpgIMG_20170326_105137245 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170326_184942450 (resized).jpgIMG_20170326_184942450 (resized).jpg

#15 7 years ago

Nice pics. Thanks for sharing. The show was great!!!

#16 7 years ago

Shuttle used to be mine...I did the playfield swap on it. Super awesome to see it win a prize that it had deserved for a while.

#17 7 years ago

Had a great time playing Aerosmith with you guys.
    And it was super cool that you were wearing our club shirt.
    Maybe next year you can come back to our house again and play all of our games.

IMG_3601 (resized).JPGIMG_3601 (resized).JPG

IMG_3603 (resized).JPGIMG_3603 (resized).JPG

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from Arcade:

Maybe next year you can come back to our house again and play all of our games.

What's the opposite of "don't bet on it"?

#19 7 years ago

And then we landed in San Francisco. What a cool city!

After a nice Indian meal we headed across the street to Brewcade. Cool place but the games were a bit rough. Then it was on to a bar called "Gestalt" where we met up with genex and had a fun time playing Aerosmith (Pro) The Pabst Can Crusher #the_walking_dead and Ghostbusters (Pro) - all played great!

We will probably make it out to Gestalt again tonight. And also hope to swing by Free Gold Watch this afternoon, before dinner. If you want to meet up, PM me!

genex sorry about that last photo. Didn't mean to chop part of your head off!

San Fransisco, view from our 'neighbourhood'San Fransisco, view from our 'neighbourhood'

BrewcadeBrewcade

Drafts @ BrewcadeDrafts @ Brewcade

Games @ BrewcadeGames @ Brewcade

PabstPabst

Don't worry about Gene's head - it's just the pano mode on the cameraDon't worry about Gene's head - it's just the pano mode on the camera

#20 7 years ago

Cool trip! Have fun!

#21 7 years ago

I kinda feel like that today after having so many beers before and with you guys - good times! I'll be there after our team pinball league match tonight

Here's robin getting over 100M on his first game of Aerosmith!

Image uploaded from iOS (resized).jpgImage uploaded from iOS (resized).jpg

#22 7 years ago

Post 11 Pic 2 should be banned from pinside cause it has Kaneda in it hah

TPF was amazing, glad you got to come again!

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Post 11 Pic 2 should be banned from pinside cause it has Kaneda in it hah

I hope they settled their differences

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Post 11 Pic 2 should be banned from pinside cause it has Kaneda in it...

So, that explains it!!!

The look on Martijn's face is priceless!!!

Robin (resized).jpgRobin (resized).jpg

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

The look on Robin's face is priceless!!!

That's not Robin.

Since this came up...yep - Robin, and his brother Martijn talked to Kaneda at the meet-greet. Everyone was very nice...funny how that works face to face.

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from SunKing:

That's not Robin.
    Since this came up...yep - Robin, and his brother Martijn talked to Kaneda at the meet-greet. Everyone was very nice...funny how that works face to face.

Yeah, that's Martijn in the orange shirt. Robin is on the far right

#28 7 years ago

Glad to see you guys are having a good time.. !!!

what is the game in the pic with the 80's shaging van, and the mini flippers ?

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gerry:

what is the game in the pic with the 80's shaging van, and the mini flippers ?

The Pabst Can Crusher / IPD No. 6335 / July, 2016 / 4 Players

#30 7 years ago

Very cool, good to know thanks

#31 7 years ago

Great to meet Robin and Martijn for the first time at the Wild Pitch in Texas.

Have fun on your continued exploits and safe travels to you both!

Ken

#32 7 years ago

Here's some more pics.

Starting the day with a good breakfast at It's TopsStarting the day with a good breakfast at It's Tops

San Francisco's Transamerica PyramidSan Francisco's Transamerica Pyramid

Musée MecaniqueMusée Mecanique

Playing Dialed In at Free Gold WatchPlaying Dialed In at Free Gold Watch

Spinning Records at Free Gold WatchSpinning Records at Free Gold Watch

Choices, choices!Choices, choices!

And more choices!And more choices!

On our way to Muir WoodsOn our way to Muir Woods

Muir WoodsMuir Woods

Look at the size of this cone - it's from a Sugar Pine treeLook at the size of this cone - it's from a Sugar Pine tree

Stinson BeachStinson Beach

Playing some Kiss at GestaltPlaying some Kiss at Gestalt

Playing in last night's So-Called 90's Pinball Tournament @ The MyriadPlaying in last night's So-Called 90's Pinball Tournament @ The Myriad

Nice view of the Bridge from Crissy Fields BeachNice view of the Bridge from Crissy Fields Beach

#33 7 years ago

another shot of robin playing in the tourney last night (https://matchplay.events/live/jvj5/standings) - Martijn placed and won money too! (he's looking bored in the background )

IMG_1378 (resized).jpgIMG_1378 (resized).jpg

#34 7 years ago

Bored is not entirely right, deeply in thoughts better fits the bill I would say.

Anyway, thanks for having us. It was fun competing in this well organized tourney. Kudos!

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from Martijn:

deeply in thoughts better fits the bill I would say.

martijnthoughtslol (resized).pngmartijnthoughtslol (resized).png
    martijnthoughtslol2 (resized).pngmartijnthoughtslol2 (resized).png

#37 7 years ago

XtraNice! Veel plezierrr
    San Francisco is top

#38 7 years ago

Great meeting you Robin! I hope that you enjoyed San Francisco and all the things you got to do!

Special thanks to Mof for hosting yesterday!

#39 7 years ago

Robin and Martijn: Did Mike take you to the PPM annex?
    Say hi to some of my former babies.

#40 7 years ago

Late reply but nice running into you again. Hopefully by next visit I'll have my EM annex running with a restored Skyrocket in the mix.

#41 7 years ago

Hey Robin. It was great to meet you at Mof's pinball party. Take care, dude.

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Hey Robin. It was great to meet you at Mof's pinball party. Take care, dude.

Likewise! Mofs pinball party was great fun. It was cool to meet some long time Pinsiders, discuss ideas and play pinball! And what an amazing collection too.

I was also stoked to finally meet the legendary Cliffy in person.

Quoted from NicoVolta:

Late reply but nice running into you again. Hopefully by next visit I'll have my EM annex running with a restored Skyrocket in the mix.

Let's do an EM party again next year? Didn't play nearly enough EM games this year and your collection is awesome!

Quoted from pinwiztom:

Robin and Martijn: Did Mike take you to the PPM annex?
    Say hi to some of my former babies.

My only big regret is not making it to PPM. It was in the plans but didn't work out time-wise. Ah well, leaves something for my next SFO visit

#43 7 years ago

Great pics! Looks like y'all had a fun trip.

#44 7 years ago

Did you stop at Alcatraz?

Did you try a Dungeness crab?

Make it down to Hearst Castle?

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Did you stop at Alcatraz?

Uhm, no.

Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Did you try a Dungeness crab?

Nope.

Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Make it down to Hearst Castle?

Actually... No.

Sounds like I might have to return to SFO some day. Actually, Alcatraz was #1 on my list. Unfortunately it was on a lot of peoples lists and it was sold out everywhere for the next 9 days.

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Uhm, no.

Nope.

Actually... No.
    Sounds like I might have to return to SFO some day. Actually, Alcatraz was #1 on my list. Unfortunately it was on a lot of peoples lists and it was sold out everywhere for the next 9 days.

There's also a WW2 Submarine not too far from Alcatraz. Near the submarine is an antique style arcade. Ripley's Believe it or not. Trolly rides. Bus tours. Rent a car to drive on Lombard Street. There's a new Walt Disney museum there. Fisherman's Wharf.

IMG_1147 (resized).jpgIMG_1147 (resized).jpg

IMG_1144 (resized).jpgIMG_1144 (resized).jpg

IMG_1154 (resized).jpgIMG_1154 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-does-texas-and-san-fransisco?hl=spg101 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.