(Topic ID: 148236)

"Pinside Clubs" - help/hinder?? What about sub-threads??

By pinball_faz

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by mof
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 8 years ago

I'm really getting frustrated trying to distill information from some of the Owner club threads. Specifically when someone tosses a tech issue on the table. It's a great audience...everyone is there, however it's hard to pick out one bit of content from another. Overlapping conversations cloud the issue; continuity is lost.

Because the poster has dumped his tech thread into the bottomless pit of the club thread prattle the clear statement of the problem, trial/error, resolution can be difficult to track.

I'd like to see an ability to cluster posts together. This actually feels pretty tough to do automatically but if a new option is created to create a 'sub-thread' rather than a 'new' thread we have the ability of both. A feature of a sub thread is an internal identifier that isolates that sub-thread content (so it looks like a separate thread). This way after the fact, you can search a post and reconcile the conversation.

The context of the game is solid.
    The post get's the visibility of those watching the thread.
    The sub-thread can be reassembled to form a story from start to finish.

What would Martijn & Robin need to do?
    ** A new "Reply - Create Sub-Thread" button would be needed; this is at the THREAD Level. This would create a new unique identifier allowing tracking associating the subThreadID with the post.

** A new "Reply Sub-Thread" button would need to be added on a POST....NOT the Reply button at the bottom of the thread. This allows out of order replies the ability to associate the reply to a sub-thread rather than the main thread. Furthermore, if the selected post is NOT a pre-established sub-thread, a new sub-thread would be created and as such the "Reply Sub-Thread" would be tied to the original post.

** A new "Re-assemble sub-thread" button would be needed on a POST. This allows pulls all the sub-thread posts together in one seamless report.

** A "Reply" on the thread goes into the pit of doom that is the shared thread. Perhaps a prompt to confirm that a generic post to the thread is desired, rather than creating a new Sub-Thread and/or post a reply within a preexisting sutb-thread. I would think the extra prompt would ONLY be needed on "Club" posts, but the ability to post a sub-thread on any post could extend outside of the "club" context.

** Something cleaver may be possible if someone "Quotes" a section of text from a post and hits the "Reply" button. Obviously, the person at the keyboard wanted to associate their post with another. The same pattern could be used to associate to a sub-thread or create a new sub-thread/associate.

More than one quote from multiple posts crossing multiple sub-threads could get weird. Picking one is possible but picking neither probably makes more sense.

Thoughts???

faz

#2 8 years ago

These "clubs" are silly to begin with. Members only, visitors welcome, guests ok etc.

#3 8 years ago

When I'm looking for something specific I can search for a keyword in the club threads. I have found this to be pretty handy. The club threads have common issues, mods, tips, etc.. all in one place. It's pretty easy to filter what you are looking for in these threads, IMO.

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

These "clubs" are silly to begin with. Members only, visitors welcome, guests ok etc.

Agreed... Rather than kill the concept altogether, I'm trying to offer a solution to the problem with the construct.

Quoted from Hougie:

When I'm looking for something specific I can search for a keyword in the club threads.

Agreed, to find a POST, but to follow the tech issue from start to finish... sometimes over several weeks or MORE is very tedious.

I'm trying to diagnose a Stargate issue. The SG Club thread is all over the place.
    faz

#5 8 years ago

I own a SG and I am glad to help but you may want look up viperrwk for some extra help. He seems to really know his stuff. Shoot me a PM if you'd like.

#6 8 years ago

Busy all weekend... never even had a chance to look at SG. But...if I do need assistance...
    I'll start another thread
    faz

1 month later
    #7 8 years ago

I was digging into another great schizophrenic thread with at least 10 sub-topics. Really hard to see who's replying to what.

"A Beautiful Mind" Bump

faz

#8 8 years ago

When I see an involved technical question that may need some troubleshooting, I usually suggest that the person start his own thread so that their question is more visible. Not much else you can really do beyond that at the moment.

#9 8 years ago

yup... hence this approach. We're never going to stop the sidebars...but at least we could attempt to keep them clustered together
    faz

1 year later
    #10 7 years ago

I'm going to tease this idea again. The DW Member thread is a jumble of conversations that overlap.

robin ... please consider this.
    faz

#11 6 years ago

We are working on a solution. It will be a while but rest assured we hear you, understand the issue and plans are being drafted. Not much else I can share at this time as it's still in early dev stages.

#12 6 years ago

Thanks very much!
    faz

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

We are working on a solution. It will be a while but rest assured we hear you, understand the issue and plans are being drafted. Not much else I can share at this time as it's still in early dev stages.

Maybe they can be yellow in color... We all talk in a yellow sub thread, a yellow sub thread, a yellow sub thread... (On a serious note: Thanks for your hard work!)

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#14 6 years ago

Also, this just popped into my head but it would be cool to have the clubs linked to the collection pages, like if it's "members only" you can't post if you don't have the title listed in your collection. Private would be an option too but that is just lame IMO. I'm all for open clubs myself but I figured I'd toss my idea out there too. I do enjoy the club threads but they can get a little messy I suppose for better or worse!

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Also, this just popped into my head but it would be cool to have the clubs linked to the collection pages, like if it's "members only" you can't post if you don't have the title listed in your collection. Private would be an option too but that is just lame IMO. I'm all for open clubs myself but I figured I'd toss my idea out there too. I do enjoy the club threads but they can get a little messy I suppose for better or worse!

I never understood the "members only" thing, as anyone could post anyway. However, what happens if someone is considering a purchase and has a question about that particular game? It wouldn't be fair to restrict him or her from a group of folks dedicated to the title.

#16 6 years ago

I think the "restriction" kind of began as a joke when the first club threads started. Naturally anyone is allowed to post (if you are not ejected from a thread or sub-forum that is)

#17 6 years ago

How is it beneficial to restrict a tech help post to a club thread? I can't think of a situation where the already available options of starting your own thread or PM are not better.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

How is it beneficial to restrict a tech help post to a club thread? I can't think of a situation where the already available options of starting your own thread or PM are not better.

Absolutely! I try to get people to post their own tech threads rather than the dumping ground of the Club Threads. It's a great place to post a fun fact or a resolution to a problem from another thread.

My 2¢.
    faz

#19 6 years ago

I'm not advocating restricting tech help posts to the club threads. But what I am getting at is that if there is a particular problem with a specific game, asking for help in that club would most likely be seen by more of a group of people that has the best connection to that game, the club members. I don't see the harm in that.

Sure, many issues may be general and apply to a multitude of machines and should be posted in separate threads.

#20 6 years ago

Hold up.
    There's already an established "best practice" for tech help -- with regards to club threads.

1. ALL help threads should be isolated in their own thread. Always. They have a specific help request and then they are CLOSED when fixed. They are often relevant to many games with simliar MPU's etc...

2. Within that game's club thread you POINT to that help thread to get people who may give a darn or have experience with the issue to find it easier.

thanks,
    mof

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-clubs-helphinder-what-about-sub-threads and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.