IMG_20240407_135817543 (resized).jpg
20240406_115430 (resized).jpg
20240406_115423 (resized).jpg
20240406_115419 (resized).jpg
Toyota 1980s jumping.gif
Toyota jumping.jpg
Landcruiser (resized).jpg
IMG_4397 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider someotherguy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1147 6 years ago

Have owned tons of classic GM trucks and cars (mostly 60's stuff) but right now no classics, have a pair of trucks for me and the wife - I bought a 2006 Silverado SS Intimidator edition (Dale Earnhardt package, I call it the Redneckinator); wife got jealous that I had a truck so I picked up another 2006 Silverado SS (in silver birch metallic) for her. My "weekend" ride is a 2006 Chrysler 300 SRT8 that I picked up not long ago with practically no miles (under 10K) to replace another of the exact same car after I sold the old one to a friend. Lots of bang for the buck in that SRT8.

Richard

06SB_049s (resized).jpg06SB_049s (resized).jpg

srt8_25s (resized).jpgsrt8_25s (resized).jpg

#1149 6 years ago
Quoted from VacFink:

These are miles better looking than the chargers.

Thanks, and at least in the first generation of these cars - the only model that you could get with -all- the options. The Chargers, Magnums, and Challengers were all down-level by comparison, even when fully loaded.

It's taken a while for modern car looks to grow on me, but I do find myself really liking this car. I bought the previous one in 2012 and for several months I'd just go to the garage door and open it and admire the sexy beast in there.

Richard

srt8_26s (resized).jpgsrt8_26s (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#1183 6 years ago

Recently swapped on a set of Hellcat-style (actually from a Scat Pack, same exact wheel but the "hyper black" gunmetal type color isn't available on a Hellcat) forged 20x9.5" wheels and 275/40 Pirelli P Zero tires, extremely low mile take-offs from a new Charger.

To go along with them, I installed the 15.4" 2-piece rotors and Brembo 6 piston calipers that also come from a Hellcat. Big brakes! You pretty much couldn't physically fit anything larger inside the hoop of a 20" wheel. Painted the front calipers silver to match the rear calipers on my car and keep it classy; the bright red wasn't gonna cut it.

Pic next to the Challenger taken at a little cruise-in Mopar meet in Galveston a couple weeks ago.

Richard

srt8_39 (resized).jpgsrt8_39 (resized).jpg

srt8_44 (resized).jpgsrt8_44 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#1234 6 years ago

There's costly lessons, and then there's costly lessons...

(pic not from my car, thankfully - it's a 392 Hemi that suffered extreme failure with a big Whipple supercharger on top)

Richard

29541814_10210947228786946_7699611647159170827_n (resized).jpg29541814_10210947228786946_7699611647159170827_n (resized).jpg

#1237 6 years ago

Yep, that car belongs to a guy I know - late model Challenger - these engines are known for not tolerating much boost on the stock bottom end. I don't know if he had spent the money to go forged or not, but it's possible there were some issues with the builder. I already sent him some info on another engine. There are guys with totally streetable 1000HP+ monsters under the hood based off that engine but you gotta go forged, there's just no way around it.

Richard

#1261 6 years ago
Quoted from ntstlgl1970:

Here’s my 70 Cuda. No pics of the pin hauler. If you’ve seen one Outback, you’ve seen them all...

NICE retrofit! Car looks sharp.

Richard

1 month later
#1315 5 years ago

Met up with my little brother for dinner last night. He works for JLR and is currently testing out another prototype - the all-electric I PACE, to be introduced as a 2019 model. I'm not about electric cars at all but this is pretty impressive. Apparently it outperforms the Tesla P100D in acceleration AND braking, if you asks me looks way better, and is about half the price.

Richard

32378490_1981364165231448_5152715824569516032_o.jpg32378490_1981364165231448_5152715824569516032_o.jpg

#1317 5 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

But I can't pass this information on because when people ask where I heard it all I can say is from some other guy.

While the point is taken you can google 2019 I PACE and you'll see it starts at around $69K up to $80K for the top trim level, while the P100D is about $140K. You'll see pictures too, and can make up your own mind on the looks.

Richard

#1321 5 years ago

In all fairness, it's not very hard to be better than a Ford Explorer.

Richard

#1338 5 years ago
Quoted from illawarra92:

Something different. This my pinball mover a Holden Commodore Ute, Redline edition running a 6.2 litre (304 kW) petrol V8.
Sadly this model (VF Series 2, 2016) was the last of locally built Australian cars which Holden producing their first car in 1948.
Holden R.I.P. 1948 to 2016

Or as we know it here in the U.S., a Ute version of the Chevrolet SS or Pontiac G8

Quoted from robertmee:

I'm liquidating some of my collection. Too much time to keep them maintained and clean. I was up to 11 vehicles at one time.
I will be looking for a nice performing DD in the near future. Don't want to go 100K for a Tesla Model S, but thinking something in the 50K range. I'm already set for Trucks/SUVs, so either a roomy 2 door, or 4 door. I don't like driving what everybody else has, so no mustangs, chargers, challengers or cameros. All nice cars but I see them every other stoplight. So what say you guys/gals? (note, already have a Genesis).

If you were considering a Tesla S but for the price, scroll back up a little bit and see the pic I posted of the 2019 Jaguar I PACE. Serious competition for the Tesla, and IMO a better looking car, and considerably cheaper. It will start at around $69K though.

I'd skip the Alfa and Maserati if you actually want to own a car you can drive.

Richard

#1340 5 years ago

Understood. The lines are a little blurred between sport sedan and crossover at this point; the ones with the lower roof and window profile like the I PACE look more like a sedan, to me.

Richard

#1346 5 years ago

I've got way too many "gone but not forgotten" to post here and don't have pictures of many of them, but this little '83 BMW 635csi gray market car was a lot of fun. Euro model, speedo in km/h, headlight wipers, way better looking bumpers (no accordion rubber of the U.S. models), and I do believe higher HP engine than the U.S. model. Not sure why I thought about this car today. Bought it in GA and drove it home to TX; pics are seller's. This was my second 6 and my last BMW; only took me 2 times to learn that lesson!

Richard

83635_02.jpg83635_02.jpg
83635_03.jpg83635_03.jpg
83635_10.jpg83635_10.jpg

83635_05 (resized).jpg83635_05 (resized).jpg

#1347 5 years ago

Previous 6 was a '78 633csi that someone tried half-heartedly to fake an M6 out of which is kinda pathetic. But I sold it like that before doing an un-convert. I did pull the M6 badge off the trunk and install the correct badging, though. Pics from so long ago I think they were taken on my 1.2mp Kodak d-cam!

Richard

78bmw-01 (resized).jpg78bmw-01 (resized).jpg

78bmw-02 (resized).jpg78bmw-02 (resized).jpg

#1351 5 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

I've wanted a 635 for about as many years as I've been driving. I still catch myself looking at the eBay motors ads.

They're fun cars if you like classics and don't mind not having all the modern creature comforts. Also, if you don't want to depend on it as a daily driver.

There are some weak spots on them now that they're this old so if you are seriously considering one, look up a classic 6 series buyer's guide (BMW Mag did one many years ago, it's probably online somewhere) before checking out any cars. The front fenders can be bad about rusting out, if it's got the self-leveling rear suspension (generally on the later 80's cars) it can be trouble/expensive. Overall not bad cars though. Bimmerforums is a pretty good if I recall, but it's been years. Might also look at Bigcoupe forums.

The ultimate would be a gray market Euro M6 but you'll pay. And I do mean pay! But what a great looking car with a pretty fun level of power.

Richard

1 month later
#1515 5 years ago

Wonder what it would cost to get one of the latest 300 SRT's out of Saudi Arabia...since they're not available here since 2014.

Aussies get 'em too but RHD would be a no-go for me.

Richard

5e47e85c11eaf6967e99e4be83b87565 (resized).jpg5e47e85c11eaf6967e99e4be83b87565 (resized).jpgchrysler-300c-srt8-2016-c568504062017071236_1 (resized).jpgchrysler-300c-srt8-2016-c568504062017071236_1 (resized).jpg

3 months later
#1659 5 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Couple pics from Shelby that I figured a few would be interested in seeing.

Not really a Ford fan but I can appreciate what Carroll Shelby brought to the table for them. Cool to see the GT40 in the display at Shelby. The GT40 definitely has my respect; the whole history of that program is so amazing and the cars are impressive, beautiful, downright sexy.

I was pleasantly surprised when The Grand Tour did practically a whole episode on the GT40 story and that they let James May run one on the track! It was the natural choice really, considering Hammond would have just crashed it, and Clarkson simply wouldn't fit inside one.

Richard

tgt-ep6-4[1].jpgtgt-ep6-4[1].jpg
3 months later
#1717 5 years ago
Quoted from Bundy:

-59 pin hauler.[quoted image][quoted image]

Very nice. Guys with Cameos can brag about being "first" but a Fleetside is way more useful.

Richard

8 months later
#1989 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I liked the homage to some old school classic trucks using modern trucks at SEMA...[quoted image][quoted image]

I can sort of appreciate what they were trying to do with the Blazer thing but the execution of it is terrible. The roofline of the modern Tahoe is ALL wrong for the classic body lines of the fenders, and those large diameter Rally-styled wheels look awkward and weird, and I'm NOT a "big wheel hater" (I have 22" Centerlines on my Silverado SS after all.) It's just weird, over-all.

Not specifically about the Scrambler pic you posted, but I kinda like the new Jeep Gladiator, it's cool as a 4 door Wrangler pickup type vehicle...but I see a lot of space in the aftermarket to give it some help. I absolutely cannot stand the appearance of the stock bumpers, tailgate, taillights, and wheels. Jeep really missed the mark on those styling areas.

Richard

10 months later
#2142 3 years ago
Quoted from PhillyArcade:

I've always ran into car guys in the pinball arcade world. I guess we just like anything we can tear apart and tinker with
Here is my pin hauler. I don't know why but as I gotten older I keep buying taller trucks. It's a real treat loading it up! I since added a topper so I can move games in bad weather. I also have a 2020 Terrain I can squeeze a game in when needed..
My 87 Buick Grand National. It's all show and all go. Alky injected modified pretty good. I bought the car with arcade game and pinball sales back when you could buy cheap and make a profit on arcade and pinballs...
And then there is my 1989 Pontiac Trans Am cream puff. 30K original miles all stock. The only thing changed was the battery and tires. 1555 of them made in 1989 to pace the Indy 500. The first and still only car that did not need to be modified to pace the Indy. As is was built is how it was sold. t-tops and leather was the only options and most were. Fun cars for sure. With the covid mess I didn't have them out much this year but that's just more time to work on the pins
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Well howdy, DJ Jim.. Where ya been man..

Richard

#2147 3 years ago
Quoted from PhillyArcade:

Oh muh gosh! My Vos! I've just been dumping arcades and going pinball crazy! I need a bigger house already. I was just going to make this my profile picture!!! hahahaha
[quoted image]

LOL now you've gone and screwed up the car thread with that oldie moldie pic

Me and the catfish were just talking about you over on the IRC. You know, that ancient technology thang

Richard

#2160 3 years ago
Quoted from misfitdart:

Thx!!! The Darts a 69' 440 on nitrous, the C10 is a 65' twin 72mm turbo built 6L on air bags.

The exhaust coming out on the area where these trucks are famous for rotting huge holes in the bottom of the fenders, cracks me up. Obviously a clean example like yours wouldn't be rusted there, so I guess that's why it cracks me up. Nice rides! (I've owned my share of flappy-fender 60-66's)

Richard

#2162 3 years ago
Quoted from misfitdart:

Oh mine had rot there...perfect place to cut out for exhaust!!

Right, I got you, just saying you obviously restored the truck so it wouldn't have been left rusted. I doubt there's an original fender out there for these trucks that hadn't got flappy at one point or another. I was lucky enough to own a couple trucks that still had fairly solid fenders but the majority were rusted out; it's a bad spot.. also had a '63 Suburban with the floorboards so rusted out on the sloped part up to the firewall that you could watch the front tires roll, and occasionally a rock would fly though and nail the ceiling.

Richard

7 months later
#2349 2 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I flew down to Atlanta two weekends ago and drove back this F-Type S British Design Edition. 1 of only 300 made. I've never heard a better sounding car. She goes in for a full detail on the 7th.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Love those new F-Types.

Pretty sure Jaguar spent more development money on that exhaust note than some makers spent on their entire cars.

Richard

3 months later
#2413 2 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Not mine either.
[quoted image]

"GAS LOL"

(fills up tank in minutes at millions of locations across the country LOL)

Richard

1 month later
#2456 2 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Nice survivor TR3

That car appears to be in amazing shape for an old Triumph.

Decades ago I helped some guys build one that was pretty far gone; it had roofing sheetmetal for floor pans and a really cracked-up (enamel?) paint job; car was barely a 20-footer. It ran and drove OK but after a hard freeze damaged the engine (can't remember all these years later if it cracked the block or it simply overheated after he lost his coolant from the freeze damage) he decided on an engine swap.

The original 100-ish HP 4 cyl gave way to a Ford 2.3 ("Pinto" engine) with some upgrades; it got a performance cam and roller cam followers, cast iron header from a Thunderbird Turbo Coupe, 4 barrel style intake that we first tried a 390cfm Holley on but it was a little much, IIRC we ended up using a 350cfm 2 barrel salvaged from shop owner's stash, I think it was the center carb off a Ford tri-power setup. It got the T5 transmission from the Thunderbird Turbo Coupe, also. Shop-made engine mounts, shortened driveshaft, changed the wiring from positive ground to negative ground, and a bunch of other work later..

Guy now has a 1960 TR3 that will blow the doors off a TR6 without breaking a sweat. Real sleeper with the original skinny spoke wheels, cracked paint job, etc. the only clue given that it may not be original are the Monza exhaust tips poking out, and the just-ate-a-whole-cake grin on the owner's face as he blazes by..

Richard

#2466 2 years ago
Quoted from thetylander:

I keep threatening to get rid of my British cars, but then I worry about where they might end up. Probably some stupid kid who drops in a V8, a thump thump thump sound system, and 21” rims.

Respectfully, and honestly, none of those cars are in danger of that happening to them.. not in the target market at all.

Richard

#2472 2 years ago

Beats me.. must be a Florida thing. We don't see them done up like that around here.

And a Chevy 350 in an XJS is just natural. Nobody going to spend the money getting that V12 going again in a car that has almost no value.

Richard

3 months later
#2542 2 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

Random question, anyone here have a connection to Mopar parts at a discount?

I've got a whole garage full of discount Mopar parts.. nearly a whole car's worth, slightly used..

Richard

270571484_5015148001853034_2892850496015539096_n.jpg270571484_5015148001853034_2892850496015539096_n.jpg
9 months later
#2699 1 year ago
Quoted from cliff_clavin:

No way! Really? 181 mph is pretty damn impressive for any non supercar. You gotta have some big cajones to drive that fast.

A few like to clown the modern Mopars for being boats, but the SRT stuff is a lot of bang for the buck. Unmodified 100% showroom floor original, even the first gen SRT8's will do about 173mph top speed. 176 is claimed but not sure if realistic. I've had my 2006 300C SRT8 up to.. uh.. not *quite* that fast.

Richard

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider someotherguy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-car-club?tu=someotherguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.