Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 61 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by Azmodeus
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1640 (resized).jpeg
    F1ED7259-FBF1-480A-9BA6-DA3493255E5B (resized).jpeg
    37FB863B-29A5-4511-82F0-CB65B0FD0BA4 (resized).jpeg
    F43BE9D8-0674-4D62-8D3F-653BBA98AFFE (resized).jpeg
    heavy metal 1977 (resized).jpg
    meditations (resized).jpg
    pophet 1 (resized).jpg
    4thousand weeks (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    2B412E48-0429-43E2-86F7-43D3459EED3D (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Screenshot_20220223-135003 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20220223-135041 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20220223-135112 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20220223-135030 (resized).png
    Medieval (resized).png
    There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

Any book readers on the forum?

Just finished going thru "The Adventures and Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes" for about the tenth time. Even rereading I am always impressed with Holmes' subtle art of detection.

IMG_7474 (resized).JPGIMG_7474 (resized).JPG

After recently seeing "Ready Player One" the movie I am thinking that will be the next book worth reading -- a lot of good discussion from the movie thread here.

What is everyone (anyone? ) else reading?

#2 6 years ago

On those cold rainy fall days. I like reading Edgar Allen Poe. Just open a book of his collected works and read what the book opens to.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

Guys you must read The Walls of the Universe by Paul Melko. Without giving spoilers, pinball is involved. It is kind of sci-fi if I had to pick a genre.

https://books.google.com/books/about/The_Walls_of_the_Universe.html?id=ILJWMP1EQB8C

#4 6 years ago

One of my favorites.

fish (resized).jpgfish (resized).jpg

Unknown (resized).jpgUnknown (resized).jpg

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

One of my favorites.

Was waiting to see what you'd come up with.

Just glad it wasn't a girly magazine!

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Just glad it wasn't a girly magazine!

But it was. Those fish out of water are quite provocative.

LTG : )

#7 6 years ago

I guess it wouldn't surprise any of you that Mr. Carp is one of my all time heroes.

img_9349 (resized).jpgimg_9349 (resized).jpg

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I guess it wouldn't surprise any of you that Mr. Carp is one of my all time heroes.

I have probably read more Pinside then any book over the last 3 years ;(

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

After recently seeing "Ready Player One" the movie I am thinking that will be the next book worth reading

I really enjoyed the book. I'm guessing my enjoyment came largely from the heaping dose of nostalgia. Haven't seen the movie yet but will check it out eventually.

Currently reading Norse Mythology by Gaimen. It's not really what I was expecting but am enjoying it so far.

#10 5 years ago

I just want to say kudos to you guys for keeping this civil. I was certain it was going to go political and get locked within a few hours.

#11 5 years ago

I'm about to finish Oathbringer, a kind of slow entry into what's becoming my favorite series in The Stormlight Archive. I can't get enough well written military fantasy. Except Wheel of Time. I just can't take it. People say "just read the first 11 books to get to the last 3" which is the dumbest argument for reading boring books I've ever heard.

I'm also reading Swamp Thing if that counts, lol.

#12 5 years ago

The Martian I thought was a lot better book than the movie.

#13 5 years ago

Also A place called Waco is an excellent book by David Thibodeau.

David was one of the survivors at Waco back in 93

#14 5 years ago

I lean toward sci-fi and pop-culture. These are all winners in my book: Ready Player One, The Martian, Cloud Atlas, Black Swan Green, Tenth of December, Aurora, A Walk in the Woods, Altered Carbon, Anathem, Cryptonomicon, Snow Crash, The Diamond Age, American Gods, 11/22/63, Borne & Annihilation, and The Girl With All the Gifts.

Added over 6 years ago:

Station Eleven

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from balt:

I lean toward sci-fi and pop-culture. These are all winners in my book: Ready Player One, The Martian, Cloud Atlas, Black Swan Green, Tenth of December, Aurora, A Walk in the Woods, Altered Carbon, Anathem, Cryptonomicon, Snow Crash, American Gods, 11/22/63, Borne & Annihilation, and The Girl With All the Gifts.

Neal Stephenson FTW! Though I also enjoyed Zodiac, Reamde, and The Diamond Age

#16 5 years ago

That reminds me, I need to pick up a copy of Ready Player One

#17 5 years ago

30 years of Stern Pinball. Greta book. Joe read it; He likes it!

3 weeks later
    #18 5 years ago

Just finished this past weekend.
    Interesting to compare the book to the movie, definitely tough to put down if you like 80's nostalgia, survival in future doomsday scenarios, and a battle against all odds.

IMG_7780 (resized).JPGIMG_7780 (resized).JPG

Have another one lined up, maybe controversial but will post back with an update once I get into reading it some.

1 week later
    #19 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Just finished this past weekend.
    Interesting to compare the book to the movie, definitely tough to put down if you like 80's nostalgia, survival in future doomsday scenarios, and a battle against all odds.

Have another one lined up, maybe controversial but will post back with an update once I get into reading it some.

I need to get a copy and read it

#20 5 years ago

I got a copy of this for my bday. I highly recommend....

Screenshot_20180531-084315 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180531-084315 (resized).png
    4 months later
    #21 5 years ago

I need to read more.....so, im forcing myself to do 1 book a month. Just got done reading "The Shining" by Stephen King.

Boring as hell......

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from Stones:

I need to read more.....so, im forcing myself to do 1 book a month. Just got done reading "The Shining" by Stephen King.
    Boring as hell......

Maybe this series will interest you. http://www.howtoread.me/pendergast-books-in-order/

This was my all time favorite,by these two authors.Add it to your reading list, you'll thank me later. https://www.prestonchild.com/books/riptide/ You won't wanna put it down,and if you don't like it,I'll eat a bug!

3 years later
    #23 2 years ago

Good reads is an interesting place.

Let’s get this topic going.

I love to read. The last book I read that is highly recommended is “the five love languages.”

This book should be read by every human except extreme hermits.

Rising above said love language / we have the language of motivation which I heap upon it.

I am going to write the writer to share my thoughts. I could elaborate if any one was interested.

Let’s bring back reading. (You been doing it anyways)

I also read “brave new world” by Huxley.

You read anything good?

3CA4F08E-44C6-4969-A030-B87B35D0E768 (resized).jpeg3CA4F08E-44C6-4969-A030-B87B35D0E768 (resized).jpegCF8351C9-BEF5-4156-951F-23F0C74BD0CF (resized).jpegCF8351C9-BEF5-4156-951F-23F0C74BD0CF (resized).jpeg
    1 week later
    #24 2 years ago

I have written two books and I am in the process of self publishing both with Amazon. I got skin in the game now.
    This has been a journey.

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

I have written two books and I am in the process of self publishing both with Amazon. I got skin in the game now.
    This has been a journey.

Azmodeus that’s really cool, congrats and lots of luck!

I’ve written 2 first drafts - one is a star wars fanfic, which blew up on me to over 400 pages The second was a story all of my own creation, and only about half the length.

As for reading, to keep in the spirit of the thread, I’m reading the Demon Slayer manga along with my kids (participating where I can in their anime phase ). I’m also re-reading LotR for the first time since my teens. My youngest asked me to read the Hobbit to her, which eventually led to me finally buying my own copy of LotR (I got a rrrreally pretty one). I’m never not reading Terry Pratchett - usually Small Gods or Wyrd Sisters, which are my ultimate comfort food books. Lastly, I’m slowly making my way through Little, Big by John Crowley. For me, it’s not a bingeable book. It’s beautiful, but slow, and requires time to digest. It puts me most in mind of 100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia-Marquez, or Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clark.

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

I have written two books and I am in the process of self publishing both with Amazon.

Welcome to the club! I have two books self-published and a third I'm finishing up. We should start our book writers thread to share our stories and experiences if we get enough of us.

#27 2 years ago

Yes we will start that thread.
    I am reading a ton of graphic novels. They are from the local library. It’s about twelve I planned on buying them all. Now I only need to buy the ones I really llike

My non fiction about what happened to me is called “Father’s Day; the High cost of stroke and traumatic brain injury.

This is the book that is going to roll hard I hope.
    Call me the tumbling dice.

It’s a full moon in Leo. Venus and Mars are alright tonight.

6E4A442B-CB72-4217-A1E3-D1C7C0AD3474 (resized).jpeg6E4A442B-CB72-4217-A1E3-D1C7C0AD3474 (resized).jpeg
    #28 2 years ago

Under a raging moon.

#29 2 years ago

I think I’m going to listen to the full one on roger daltrey this morn.

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

My non fiction about what happened to me is called “Father’s Day; the High cost of stroke and traumatic brain injury.

When you get it up on Amazon, post it here. As someone who had a TIA a few years back due to a heart defect, I'd be interested in checking it out.

#31 2 years ago

Great thread

Currently 51, I discovered in my 20s that I’m a preferential auditory learner.

Unabridged audiobooks used to be quite expensive, but outlets like Audible and podcasting have changed my life in so many ways. I go through 10-15 books a year plus countless podcasts weekly.

Some of my past fiction favorites

The Bobiverse Series
    Dennis E Taylor

Columbus Day (Skippy) series
    Craig Alanson

Jack Reacher Series
    Lee Child

Enders Games and now the
    The sets of Prequels
    Orson Scott Card
    Aaron Johnston

Arthur C Clark
    Frederick Pohl
    Neil Stephenson
    Tolkien

At some point I have to stop typing.

#32 2 years ago

I really enjoy the audiobook as well. This is how I (finally) experienced brave new world recently.

I enjoy listening to my favorite stories on audiobook. But several have not been made or “read”yet.

A real good example of that is “the cage” by Jeff vandermeer. Award winning short story. No audible or any audio book of it.

Here is one of my faves that has been made. The red tower by Thomas liggotti.

#33 2 years ago

I was given the audiobook of ready player one, which was excellent, too.

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

Great thread
    Currently 51, I discovered in my 20s that I’m a preferential auditory learner.
    Unabridged audiobooks used to be quite expensive, but outlets like Audible and podcasting have changed my life in so many ways. I go through 10-15 books a year plus countless podcasts weekly.
    Some of my past fiction favorites
    The Bobiverse Series
    Dennis E Taylor
    Columbus Day (Skippy) series
    Craig Alanson
    Jack Reacher Series
    Lee Child
    Enders Games and now the
    The sets of Prequels
    Orson Scott Card
    Aaron Johnston
    Arthur C Clark
    Frederick Pohl
    Neil Stephenson
    Tolkien
    At some point I have to stop typing.

Preston and Child the pendergast series you'll thank me later.Jack Reacher can be seen on Amazon prime now if you're interested.

Screenshot_20220217-222456-427 (resized).pngScreenshot_20220217-222456-427 (resized).png
    #36 2 years ago

Doug and Linc, are my Favorite writers!

If you havent tried them. maybe start with Cabinet of Curiosities.

If you might be into James Rollins or Clive Cussler, shoot me a PM, I have a bunch of books leaving

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Doug and Linc, are my Favorite writers!
    If you havent tried them. maybe start with Cabinet of Curiosities.
    If you might be into James Rollins or Clive Cussler, shoot me a PM, I have a bunch of books leaving

Cabinet of Curiosities, one of my favorites !

#38 2 years ago

By the way;
    The best single book I have read in the last year was “five love languages”.

The book is about love but it is actually about people (to me.)

There is not one single person I know who would not benefit from reading it.

I’m considering writing the author, because I think I have gotten something out of the book that was additional.

Almost like a side chapter could be added. I don’t want to bore with details on this but if someone is interested I could explain what I mean.
    More to follow, we will see if I get any response.

Take care all.

#39 2 years ago

I just finished Invisible by James Patterson. I really enjoyed this book !

#40 2 years ago

I tend to have several books going at any given time. There's a small marble table where they collect (much to the wife's chagrin). This is the current batch. I have sort of a self-guided Irish studies thing going, along with a side of philosophy, and a couple of coffee table books from musicians I admire.

Books on Deck 1 (resized).pngBooks on Deck 1 (resized).png

Books on Deck 2 (resized).pngBooks on Deck 2 (resized).png

I prefer real books (my house is full of them), but I do read on my iPad as well. The two most recent were:

The Cruelty Men by Irish author Emer Martin. I had the pleasure of attending a seminar/lecture with the author (via Zoom) at my alma mater.

The Quiet Americans: Four CIA Spies at the Dawn of the Cold War--a Tragedy in Three Acts by Scott Anderson.

#41 2 years ago

I read a wide range of fiction, self help, business and investing books.
    Just read this one again
    Author is a sports agent, his most famous client is Cal Ripken

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #42 2 years ago

You Guys sharing have Great Taste!

I often say as the "Grumpy old Man", what changed in the world, and why we are so polarized, is we
    have a generation that doesnt read books.

Learning from Youtube doesnt do it, in all cases.

Im back into a few titles on Historical theology, then Preston and Child awaits!

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Im back into a few titles on Historical theology

Hey Art, I took an interesting upper level history course on medieval heresies and the witch hunt. These were some of the texts from that class. I thought they might be right in your wheelhouse.

Heresey (resized).pngHeresey (resized).png

They called the medieval period the 'age of religion'. Toward that end, Peters also has a good solid history text. The Andrea book is all primary source material, from the Roman period forward.

Medieval (resized).pngMedieval (resized).png

#44 2 years ago

Love books. Here's some that I've read recently that you all might enjoy.

Screenshot_20220223-135003 (resized).pngScreenshot_20220223-135003 (resized).pngScreenshot_20220223-135030 (resized).pngScreenshot_20220223-135030 (resized).pngScreenshot_20220223-135041 (resized).pngScreenshot_20220223-135041 (resized).pngScreenshot_20220223-135112 (resized).pngScreenshot_20220223-135112 (resized).png
    #45 2 years ago
    Quoted from zombywoof:

Hey Art, I took an interesting upper level history course on medieval heresies and the witch hunt. These were some of the texts from that class. I thought they might be right in your wheelhouse.

Wow! I did not know the concept of Witchcraft could reach back to 400.
    It is interesting what constituted "Magic" through different times.
    Thank You! Books Added!

Here is a Favorite of mine In History, No Religion.
    Like Rome would have Victory Parades, with 2 story Floats pulled by a Team of horses.
    "Rooms" on Both Levels, on either side of the Road, would have Actors, retelling the Battle.
    Kind of a Human Video Screen, for the parade route.

Dr Goodman is at Oxford, and likely the Globes leading Authority. Lots of, "I didnt know that"

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

You Guys sharing have Great Taste!
    I often say as the "Grumpy old Man", what changed in the world, and why we are so polarized, is we
    have a generation that doesnt read books.
    Learning from Youtube doesnt do it, in all cases.
    Im back into a few titles on Historical theology, then Preston and Child awaits!

Which Preston and Child are you reading next?

#47 2 years ago

I’ve finally gotten around to Gibbon’s classic The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. I’m just wrapping up volume four. That Rome and Juruselem looks like it will be a good complimentary read. Thanks for mentioning it.

#48 2 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

Which Preston and Child are you reading next?

Im a bit behind, like a few years...long story...but, Blue Labyrinth.

I started a bit over 30 years ago emailing Doug and Linc. They were always so kind to chat,
    and be personal. In Person, at book shows, they are a dry, comedy team.

Im not sure why, but through all these years, their writing style captivates me.
    And the Pendergast character is one, all readers should meet.

#49 2 years ago

I’m reading a big stack of graphic novels from the local library.
    The standout to me so far is ultramega.

2B412E48-0429-43E2-86F7-43D3459EED3D (resized).jpeg2B412E48-0429-43E2-86F7-43D3459EED3D (resized).jpeg
    #50 2 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

I’m reading a big stack of graphic novels from the local library.
    The standout to me so far is ultramega.
    [quoted image]

Reminds me I started this

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-book-club and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.